It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Northwestern Football
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:17 am 

I think we are about to see a return to the pre Gary Barnett days, and it won't be short lived. People don't remember how bad it can get.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Worse than 1-11?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:21 am 

They were 4-20 the last two years. They were already there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:22 am 

Brick wrote:

four bowl wins (all against power 5) and two B10 championship game appearances over the last seven years is a lot of recent success. I guess you could respond that three of the last four were terrible but pre Barnett era cat fans would be embarrassed to complain about only one west division championship in four years. and they had some decent names as coaches, like Dennis Green and Ara Parsaghein. Heck, Barnett and Walker were both under .500 as coaches.

I never thought much of Fitzgerald as a coach but his success is pretty remarkable and he wasn't using it as a stepping stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:

THIS

The transfer portal killed them faster than Fitz did.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:29 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Brick wrote:

THIS

The transfer portal killed them faster than Fitz did.

his success always seemed to be built around a QB who started too early in his career and took his lumps but then excelled as a game manager in the last 1-2 years. His recent QB have been a mess of overrated local talents and transfers who had nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:32 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

four bowl wins (all against power 5) and two B10 championship game appearances over the last seven years is a lot of recent success. I guess you could respond that three of the last four were terrible but pre Barnett era cat fans would be embarrassed to complain about only one west division championship in four years. and they had some decent names as coaches, like Dennis Green and Ara Parsaghein. Heck, Barnett and Walker were both under .500 as coaches.

I never thought much of Fitzgerald as a coach but his success is pretty remarkable and he wasn't using it as a stepping stone.

The second B10 championship game was a COVID year fluke. The first one was a great team though.

Fitz was great at beating cupcakes in the OOC. That's the major difference between him and Barnett and Walker. Fitz had a conference record that was trending towards what they had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

The second B10 championship game was a COVID year fluke. The first one was a great team though.

Fitz was great at beating cupcakes in the OOC. That's the major difference between him and Barnett and Walker. Fitz had a conference record that was trending towards what they had.

They had two first round draft picks on that 20 team and beat a ranked Purdue on the road. I don't think it was a fluke, like some of the baseball in 20. They beat 4 ranked teams.

I thought a usual Fitz season went like this: 2-1 OOC with one of those being a terrible loss. .500 in conference, including one signature win they had no business winning. Bowl game.

Northwestern simply cannot hope for better than that. Even I-L-L can aspire to be something greater but that is the best NU can ever be regularly. I've always said, Fitzgerald isn't great but he is the best NU can hope for and NU is the best job at which he can be nominally successful. They were a perfect match, like when two fives marry each other.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Other than Pat Ryan, who gives a shit if NU football is good or bad?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:32 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

julia louis dreyfuss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

julia louis dreyfuss

Would

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:34 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
They had two first round draft picks on that 20 team and beat a ranked Purdue on the road. I don't think it was a fluke, like some of the baseball in 20. They beat 4 ranked teams.
They beat 1 ranked team that year and that was Wisconsin at home and Wisconsin finished 4-3.
good dolphin wrote:
I thought a usual Fitz season went like this: 2-1 OOC with one of those being a terrible loss. .500 in conference, including one signature win they had no business winning. Bowl game.
Fitz was 65-76 in conference and 45-25 out of conference and they didn't really play a killer OOC schedule often. So yeah, they probably did to 2-1 a lot of years OOC but in conference they were already on the way to a sub .450 conference record unless he pulled out a miracle this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Tall Midget wrote:

Have you never listened to PTI???

Wilbon gave a circumspect but honest assessment of the situation on PTI last week, but given the format he didn't talk at length. But Tony Kornheiser had Wilbon on his podcast on Monday, where he talked at length about the situation overall, from his position as a trustee of the university for the last 15 years, and from his position as a Medill grad and former reporter for the Daily Northwestern. He probably talked for 10 minutes on the topic, being questioned by Kornheiser and retired Post colleague Liz Clarke.

We all know that Wilbon at this stage in life is perpetually alternating between being a pompous name-dropper and an old man yelling at clouds. He was neither here. His former Post colleague Christine Brennan is also a trustee. Somehow the Daily students contacted her. It sounds like the decision to suspend Fitzgerald was made by the relatively new president, but the decision to fire him was made by the trustees.

Wilbon referred to himself as "a former journalist, I am not a journalist any more" and that seems to have let him find space to act, including being asked by either the University president or the other trustees to speak to the team in his role as a trustee after Fitzgerald was fired and after he spoke to the interim head coach. (Northwestern only has two African-American male trustees.). He said that he also met with the Daily Northwestern students and gave them his unconditional support and praise. He also briefly mentioned the baseball situation, and said that he will be spending a lot of time on campus this fall both with the athletic program and at Medill. (Reading between the lines, the AD is in what Kornheiser would call a "gots to go" situation.)

Finally, what was really interesting was that Wilbon went to Kornheiser for advice as to what was appropriate to say and do publicly. For as much as they yell at each other, their relationship is really brotherly after nearly 40 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:

Shots fired at MUD... you hate to see it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Not just football, baseball and other sports, too. This hazing culture was pervasive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 am 
Site Admin

This was going to be the year that I finally went to a home game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:37 am 

Seacrest wrote:

I "won" tickets to an OOC home game this year at one of the high school raffles. UTEP or Howard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

:lol:

He was making $5 MILLION PER YEAR without having to produce anything other than an occasional winning season! If he tried to move up from NU, he probably would have been hired into a program where he actually would need to deliver 10 or 11 per year on a consistent basis, something he likely isn't capable of doing (most coaches aren't). In other words, using NU as a stepping stone would only have resulted in Fitz stepping in it.

As I mentioned several years ago on this board, I had some tense interactions with Coach Fitz a little more than a decade ago. He can be engaging publicly, but he also has a vindictive, megalomaniacal side that he displays privately. He struck me then as a bit of a buffoon and a bully, and recent events have only served to confirm that impression.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I "won" tickets to an OOC home game this year at one of the high school raffles. UTEP or Howard.

Our daughter was a prof at Nebraska, and is still a big fan of the football team. So I might still go if they play them at home.

Huskers should win this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Our daughter was a prof at Nebraska, and is still a big fan of the football team. So I might still go if they play them at home.

My wife's whole family is from Nebraska. Do you know what the "N" on their helmets stand for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
T-Bone wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

My wife's whole family is from Nebraska. Do you know what the "N" on their helmets stand for?

Nowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Nowledge.

Narcolepsy?
Necrophilia?
Narcoleptic necrophilia?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

T-Bone wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I did no that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:28 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I did no that

:lol: ok I figured as much

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:28 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Nowledge.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

It's a great family football experience in Lincoln.

Go Mitch Krenk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:53 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

He was making $5 MILLION PER YEAR without having to produce anything other than an occasional winning season! If he tried to move up from NU, he probably would have been hired into a program where he actually would need to deliver 10 or 11 per year on a consistent basis, something he likely isn't capable of doing (most coaches aren't). In other words, using NU as a stepping stone would only have resulted in Fitz stepping in it.

As I mentioned several years ago on this board, I had some tense interactions with Coach Fitz a little more than a decade ago. He can be engaging publicly, but he also has a vindictive, megalomaniacal side that he displays privately. He struck me then as a bit of a buffoon and a bully, and recent events have only served to confirm that impression.

You shouldn't have failed his starters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:55 pm 

I have a feeling Matt Rhule is going to be great for their program.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Tall Midget wrote:

That's interesting. I'll have to do a deep dive here to see what it was all about. I guess it's no surprise that he's a vindictive bully and megalomaniac, but it is disappointing to hear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:

Can you summarize the issues for those of us unwilling to brave the search function?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants