It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh, the irony!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
So I hear Mike playing "Taps" and then talking about Dan Patrick. He said the music wasn't for Dan, or ESPN, but for Murph, Terry and Dan.

Something tells me if another national show on 1000 was to have its talent announce they were leaving, Pappy would be playing something a little more festive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

It will depend on who ESPN puts on. If they put a good local show on, Murph will suffer the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Score is doomed wrote:
It will depend on who ESPN puts on. If they put a good local show on, Murph will suffer the most.

I don't agree. I think Murphy has a loyal listening audience, like him or not, and his audience only cares about the Cubs, and local sports, not the Yankees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
In all fairness, Murph talks more Sox baseball and takes more calls from Sox fans than any show other than the Ranger's. He is not all Cub all the time. Murph likes to talk baseball and the Sox are a significant part of the show. If you deny that, then you really don't listen. Being a Murph fan, I know I am in the minority here, but many of you just bash Murph without ever listening to his show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mr. Reason wrote:
In all fairness, Murph talks more Sox baseball and takes more calls from Sox fans than any show other than the Ranger's. He is not all Cub all the time. Murph likes to talk baseball and the Sox are a significant part of the show. If you deny that, then you really don't listen. Being a Murph fan, I know I am in the minority here, but many of you just bash Murph without ever listening to his show.

I listen to his show sometimes. So many of his topics/theories are kind of out there, but sometimes they make sense, other times I just don't listen. He does talk White Sox, but I'd say it's more Cubs for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:36 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:

I don't need to. Anyone who calls in and disagrees with Muprh gets hung up on and gets the "Must of been a Sox fan," routine from ol' Caterpillar Lip.

So, why would I listen to a show that I get insulted constantly due to what team I root for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
Some sources are suggesting Patrick is coming to WSCR. I don't believe that for a sec. A few sources are stating that Patrick may take Imus' spot on CBS Radio and fill that void in NY, and then the void on WSCR mornings (aka, the Mike North Show).

AllAccess.com

N.Y. Tabs Speculate On Imus Replacement, Patrick Whereabouts

The replacement for DON IMUS at CBS Sports WFAN-A/NEW YORK has yet to be announced, but the local tabloids are in full speculation mode, and the NEW YORK POST's PAGE SIX is reporting that "insiders are whispering" that former JETS quarterback BOOMER ESIASON will get the permanent nod to fill the station's morning slot.

ESIASON is one of several hosts who have tried out for the post since IMUS' APRIL firing; while some publications have speculated that departing ESPN host DAN PATRICK would be a candidate for the WFAN job, NEWSDAY's NEIL BEST has reported that PATRICK, who is also rumored to be arranging an independent radio deal with a CHICAGO-based syndicator, is not in the running for the former IMUS show, while the DAILY NEWS' BOB RAISSMAN quotes a source at CBS as saying, "When it comes to PATRICK, don't rule anything out."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Marty wrote:
Some sources are suggesting Patrick is coming to WSCR. I don't believe that for a sec. A few sources are stating that Patrick may take Imus' spot on CBS Radio and fill that void in NY, and then the void on WSCR mornings (aka, the Mike North Show).

AllAccess.com

N.Y. Tabs Speculate On Imus Replacement, Patrick Whereabouts

The replacement for DON IMUS at CBS Sports WFAN-A/NEW YORK has yet to be announced, but the local tabloids are in full speculation mode, and the NEW YORK POST's PAGE SIX is reporting that "insiders are whispering" that former JETS quarterback BOOMER ESIASON will get the permanent nod to fill the station's morning slot.

ESIASON is one of several hosts who have tried out for the post since IMUS' APRIL firing; while some publications have speculated that departing ESPN host DAN PATRICK would be a candidate for the WFAN job, NEWSDAY's NEIL BEST has reported that PATRICK, who is also rumored to be arranging an independent radio deal with a CHICAGO-based syndicator, is not in the running for the former IMUS show, while the DAILY NEWS' BOB RAISSMAN quotes a source at CBS as saying, "When it comes to PATRICK, don't rule anything out."

Actually, if the Score decides to go cheap with their morning show since they have tried, and failed, with several different shows, including paying North all that money, I wouldn't be shocked if they did this or just went to the three headed monster of Holmes/Zach/Abatacolla. North is obviously the wildcard in this situation because he will have to accept a big paycut to remain on the air, much less the morning show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
BD wrote:
Actually, if the Score decides to go cheap with their morning show since they have tried, and failed, with several different shows, including paying North all that money, I wouldn't be shocked if they did this or just went to the three headed monster of Holmes/Zach/Abatacolla. North is obviously the wildcard in this situation because he will have to accept a big paycut to remain on the air, much less the morning show.

Mully and Hanley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beebo wrote:
BD wrote:

Mully and Hanley.

Do you think that was an audition last week? I didn't think so at first, but as it went on, I think they would do OK in AM drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

hootmon wrote:
Beebo wrote:
BD wrote:

Mully and Hanley.

Do you think that was an audition last week? I didn't think so at first, but as it went on, I think they would do OK in AM drive.

With their regular jobs, especially Hanley traveling with the Bulls, I think that would be difficult to pull off. Maybe in a 3 man booth that may work better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:14 am 
1000 CLUB

It doesn't matter what SCR wants, it what the suits in NYC want. Larz at chicagolandradioandmedia.com know alot of shit, here's his post on the subject from yesterday.

It looks like I'm stepping into Sneed-land here, but I wanted to pass along this pretty substantial bit of info...
I'm hearing a BIG rumor about Dan Patrick's reason for leaving ESPN. Dan has made no secret about how much he loves doing radio. Inside sources are saying that CBS Radio's Dan Mason has been getting pretty cozy with Dan. Mason wants Patrick on CBS. More specifically on WSCR in Chicago. Even more specifically: WSCR mornings, replacing Mike North, who would be moved to another time slot (mid-days) or let go completely. CBS Radio also has a hole to fill with mornings at New York's WFAN, since they released Don Imus. Could this show, which would probably be based out of Chicago, be syndicated back to NY? Are there people scouting out a temporary residence for Dan Patrick in downtown Chicago right now?

This is just the bones of a rumor right now, but this one has some meat on the bones. It will be about a month or so before anything more is heard, but mark my words... you'll be hearing a LOT more about Dan Patrick & CBS Radio soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:18 am 
1000 CLUB

I think that there is a lot of truth to the rumor, but there's no guarantee it will actually happen. (Remember the JV & Elvis to Chicago rumors?) A lot of offers can come Dan Patrick's way in the next couple of weeks, now that he's announced he's a free agent. Chicago, with a strong syndication deal may appeal to him. I would think that he'd prefer a west coast gig, to be closer to his brothers and closer to potential TV gigs, though. It may all depend on who puts together the prettiest package for him. I do think this much: He will not go to satellite (he's too smart of a business man to put all of his eggs in that basket) or host The Price Is Right (which has also been rumored). He will be syndicated somewhere by early fall doing a sports/entertainment hybrid program on the radio and keeping his TV options open for a while (CBS? Showtime? Fox?).

Post subject: Imus Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
According to Teddy G. Imus is being replaced by Boomer Esiason. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Imus Replacement
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
According to Teddy G. Imus is being replaced by Boomer Esiason. :roll:

Wonder who they'll get to do radio broadcasts of Monday Night Football now?!?!? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Next For Patrick: Content Factory?

The rumors of DAN PATRICK's next move are focusing on CHICAGO, where JIMMY DECASTRO's CONTENT FACTORY syndication company is reported by the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES' ROBERT FEDER to be the soon-to-be-former ESPN RADIO host's destination for a daily syndicated show.

Is it a done deal or are other possibilities in the offing? Stay tuned....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:00 pm 

I find this difficult to believe for one reason. I cannot believe that ESPN/Disney would let him out of his contract w/o some form of a non compete clause which would prohibit major market/syndication work on radio. It wouldn't be necessary for TV given that there is no real alternative for a nationwide daily TV recap show.

The North out, Patrick in scenario would be funny as hell though. Wonder how hot dog boy would spin that??? (I take that back, he'd blame everyone else as usual)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
I find this difficult to believe for one reason. I cannot believe that ESPN/Disney would let him out of his contract w/o some form of a non compete clause which would prohibit major market/syndication work on radio. It wouldn't be necessary for TV given that there is no real alternative for a nationwide daily TV recap show.

The North out, Patrick in scenario would be funny as hell though. Wonder how hot dog boy would spin that??? (I take that back, he'd blame everyone else as usual)

The Score wouldn't be able to talk about the national programming on the other station anymore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
I find this difficult to believe for one reason. I cannot believe that ESPN/Disney would let him out of his contract w/o some form of a non compete clause which would prohibit major market/syndication work on radio.

I'll defer to the lawyers present but I think noncompetes need to be very specific to be enforceable and may be outright banned in some states. I suspect any noncompete with Patrick would be for "sports programming" in order to be enforceable and probably would allow him to pursue general broadcasting positions soon after the termination of his ESPN employment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:39 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I'll defer to the lawyers present but I think noncompetes need to be very specific to be enforceable and may be outright banned in some states. I suspect any noncompete with Patrick would be for "sports programming" in order to be enforceable and probably would allow him to pursue general broadcasting positions soon after the termination of his ESPN employment.

Didn't MacNeil and (everyone's favorite) Diann Burns have exactly these same non-compete clauses that I think expired six months after the end dates of their contracts? As to the specificity of the "sports programming" show issue, my guess would be that it likely would have been tailored more along the lines of syndication or nationwide programming, given that Disney had the bargaining power there. If not that, then at least to certain sized markets or even more simply to general or sports talk stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Regular Reader wrote:

Actually, I would be shocked if ESPN didn't have a "must compete" clause...hell, it seems that no matter what you put against him, it does well. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

ESPN's Patrick joining new radio venture

'The Content Factory' designed to promote content on mobile devices, too

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 12:28 p.m. CT July 12, 2007

BOSTON - Longtime ESPN personality Dan Patrick will join a new broadcast venture called "The Content Factory," a company that wants to transmit radio content over different mediums.

Patrick made the announcement Thursday.

"Dan isn't leaving radio - he's leading radio to its next logical path, much the way the web, mobile devices and 24/7 wireless connectivity has done for video," said Jimmy de Castro, who helped found "The Content Factory." "He will continue his innovative industry leadership by taking his brand, the 'Big Show,' to broader audiences in the innovative ways they receive their information - via radio, television, internet, podcasts, infopods, mobil devices and beyond."

The former SportsCenter anchor announced his decision on his radio show Monday and said his final show will be Aug. 17.

"It's been home, but I think I was starting to take it for granted, and I did not want to do that," Patrick said on the air. "I did not think that was fair to these great people."

Patrick said ESPN executives tried to talk him out of his decision. He originally planned to make the announcement last week, but they asked him to reconsider.

"If there was animosity, I wouldn't be doing radio shows after this one today," he said.

Patrick recently served as host of the NBA studio program on ABC, NBA Countdown, and the network's game broadcasts, including the NBA finals. He was a SportsCenter anchor from 1989-06.

He has hosted The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio since 1999. During his last week, ESPN Radio will look back at memorable moments from the show.

"Dan has accomplished so much over the past two decades at ESPN and fans and newsmakers have turned to him for his steady and trusted approach," ESPN executive vice president for production Norby Williamson said in a statement. "We wish him the very best."

Patrick was honored as National Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2000 and received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category in 1998.

He was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN from 1983-89.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:33 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:

Bingo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Mr. Reason wrote:

I "listened" to Murph go off on the listeners with his Ron Santo tirade a few months ago -- a really objective listen there.
I "listened" to Murph act live a 3-year-old with Stone in their famous exchange a month ago.
Murph might take Sox calls, but the Cubbie Kool-Aid will sneak in there if the discussion gets a little heated. Reason, I know you've heard Murph say "That must have been a White Sox fan" on more than one occurance.
Murph's a diehard Cubs fan -- and he doesn't hide it. That's OK. But don't act live he gives a balanced version of baseball talk in the city. He doesn't. He has to spend most of his time berating Jones.
As a Sox fan, it can be a painful listen at times.
BTW, he does have a nice listener base -- diehard, Cubbie-colored-glassed fans of the Northsiders.