It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
So this morning Mike is making the point that Tom Hicks of the Texas Rangers didn't deserve criticism for the $25 million/yr contract he signed A-Rod to since he had his best years while playing there. When Fred correctly pointed out that the criticism was due to the fact that Hicks had essentially bid against himself which resulted in a contract paying approx. 7 million more per yr than would have been necessary, North ignored him and started arguing an unrelated point. My immediate thought was that this is the same technique that Mike uses when anyone disagrees with him (Annie in particular) making any real debate impossible. It then occurred to me that the irony was that North had essentially done the same thing to CBS management as A-Rod's agent did to Hicks when he signed his ridiculous contract. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:43 pm 

That was a pretty funny exchange. Fred showed a spine and actually shot down North's idoitic ramblings with some basic facts.

The best was when North was trying to compare Rodriguez' request for 30 mil/year to Buerhle asking for 100 million (not sure that Buerhle ever was looking for 100 million, but this is North talking). Of course Fred corrected North by saying that Rodriguez was looking for 30 million PER YEAR while most reports had Buehrle looking for a 75 million over 5 years, 15 million per year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

TeeLander wrote:
Didn't the Score bid against themselves for the Sox rights?

Didn't they bid against themselves in North's contract also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 pm 

He does argue unrelated points but it's more stupidity than any technique.

He can only analyize by using analogies. The whole discussion becomes about the analogies and whether they apply. Nothing is learned or solved or even expressed.

An argument about Frank Thomas becomes one about Sosa, drifts into Zambrano, Zito, Burhley, ricochetes from there to another sport, team, position, or ownership, and crashlands somewhere around whether college athletes should be paid or what the Coach would do.

He's just stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
BlazingSize wrote:
He does argue unrelated points but it's more stupidity than any technique.

He can only analyize by using analogies. The whole discussion becomes about the analogies and whether they apply. Nothing is learned or solved or even expressed.

An argument about Frank Thomas becomes one about Sosa, drifts into Zambrano, Zito, Burhley, ricochetes from there to another sport, team, position, or ownership, and crashlands somewhere around whether college athletes should be paid or what the Coach would do.

He's just stupid.

Jauron should not have been fired, Orton should still be the QB, Errol Flynn was our greatest actor, and how can Dusty Springfield be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ahead of Connie Francis?

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way