pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm amazed it took this long to happen.

Post subject: Re: Shane MacGowan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:

For sure. He looked like he was dead for quite awhile now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:26 am 

thankfully some people are ugly and it makes me feel better

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:56 am 

The whole American people with a limited connection to Ireland (not talking about people from Ireland, Irish immigrants, or the children of Irish immigrants) into Irish music phenomenon has always intrigued me. Are they into it because they have some distant connection to Ireland, or do they just like something that sounds a little different? I'm not trying to start shit here, and am genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:17 am 

Also a better QB than Cutler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

For sure. He looked like he was dead for quite awhile now.

he outlasted Mark E. Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Many years ago we had tickets to see him at the House of Blues but found out it was cancelled (after we were already there) because he wasn’t allowed to enter the country due to drug-related crimes. Somehow he got that fixed because we did see him there a bit later. It was amazing to watch a guy who appeared to be so intoxicated that he could barely stand yet managed to nail the words to every song.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
The whole American people with a limited connection to Ireland (not talking about people from Ireland, Irish immigrants, or the children of Irish immigrants) into Irish music phenomenon has always intrigued me. Are they into it because they have some distant connection to Ireland, or do they just like something that sounds a little different? I'm not trying to start shit here, and am genuinely curious.

In class now and can't really focus, but . . .

Probably both. Depends on where you live--some communities are still connected with a sense of Irish-Catholic identity, but that's not much of a thing anymore (besides a few communities). Being Irish is also good for a fantasy about how hard you (meaning your grandpa or great-grandpa) had it.

There was a time when being Catholic meant you were significantly different from Protestants (now we have Evangelicals, too), but I don't think the differences matter. It mattered to my oldest, boomer brothers and sisters and my parents. Similarly, Irishness has been diluted.

Pogues sounded good, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:45 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Probably both. Depends on where you live--some communities are still connected with a sense of Irish-Catholic identity, but that's not much of a thing anymore (besides a few communities). Being Irish is also good for a fantasy about how hard you (meaning your grandpa or great-grandpa) had it.

There was a time when being Catholic meant you were significantly different from Protestants (now we have Evangelicals, too), but I don't think the differences matter. It mattered to my oldest, boomer brothers and sisters and my parents. Similarly, Irishness has been diluted.

Your dilution comment is kind of why I asked. The Irish people have been here for so long, most of them can't really have much of a connection to Ireland, yet I can't see consuming a steady diet of The Pouges or similar bands unless there's at least a small measure of ethnic pride or ethnic solidarity involved. If that's the case, it's fine. People like different bands for many different subjective reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:19 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Your dilution comment is kind of why I asked. The Irish people have been here for so long, most of them can't really have much of a connection to Ireland, yet I can't see consuming a steady diet of The Pouges or similar bands unless there's at least a small measure of ethnic pride or ethnic solidarity involved. If that's the case, it's fine. People like different bands for many different subjective reasons.
I'm also not wanting to stir shit but I think it's kind of a strange premise, particularly as it applies to the Pogues. I'm a huge fan of the Jam, but I have no English heritage. Why is it hard to understand why somebody could appreciate a wide variety of musical sounds and styles without any apparent connection other than the music itself?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:29 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I'm also not wanting to stir shit but I think it's kind of a strange premise, particularly as it applies to the Pogues. I'm a huge fan of the Jam, but I have no English heritage. Why is it hard to understand why somebody could appreciate a wide variety of musical sounds and styles without any apparent connection other than the music itself?

The Jam isn't a bad counter to my premise. They lean into their Britishness pretty hard. However, the Irish equivalent of The Jam would be U2 or Sinead O'Connor, not The Pouges. The Jam, U2, and Sinead O'Connor are all basically doing standard pop or rock, albeit extremely well done. The Pogues are doing something a lot more traditionally Irish.

I could be full of shit here, but I think to get into something like that you need to feel some sort of ethnic connection or at least have a pretty strong affinity for Irish culture.

All that being said, you went to the show. What was the crowd like? Was there a strong Irish vibe, or nothing remarkable?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

The Jam isn't a bad counter to my premise. They lean into their Britishness pretty hard. However, the Irish equivalent of The Jam would be U2 or Sinead O'Connor, not The Pouges. The Jam, U2, and Sinead O'Connor are all basically doing standard pop or rock, albeit extremely well done. The Pogues are doing something a lot more traditionally Irish.

I could be full of shit here, but I think to get into something like that you need to feel some sort of ethnic connection or at least have a pretty strong affinity for Irish culture.

All that being said, you went to the show. What was the crowd like? Was there a strong Irish vibe, or nothing remarkable?

I’d say it was mostly drunk punk rockers (we only fit the 1st aspect).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:40 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:42 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I think that draws some people to them. Some people need to fill their identity with symbolic ethnicity, and that's quite fine. Other Irish-Americans do feel a pull to Ireland, though, because some still come here and many have relatives over there.

BTW, I myself (incorrectly) argued sometime in the mid-90s that we'd see a huge return to ethnic heritage as part of our identity.

Like I said, though, the Pogues sound good. Weren't they considered alternative/punk/something in the 80s? That might be before your time, but the hip kids listened to them in college. Our neighborhood was 1/3 Irish descent, so I always knew who they were, which meant that I got to go to college with a little coolness in the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:43 pm 

I got to see the Pogues once. I think it was around 2006-2008. Shane did the whole song Fiesta while hitting himself over the head with a metal drink tray.

RIP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:44 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

:lol:

And one lead singer who was only standing because he was holding on to the microphone stand?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:04 pm 

Not a drop of Irish blood but love the music, including Irish trad. Best thing that ever happened to the Irish was being forced to speak English it’s changed the entire posture of Americans toward their immigration

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
When I listen to those endless reels it becomes very clear why the Irish drink so much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
[tweet]https://x.com/LWavghist/status/1733608263550181816?s=20[/tweet]

Fucking awesome...it's not about the music per se, it is a soulful experience

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:31 pm 

fuck lets try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptayWtW1So8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

It doesnt get much better than that. Singing and dancing in front of the corpse. Quite the send off. The Irish do seem to do death pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:34 pm 

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed

You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy burrito
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last

-Hallmark Card (mmm..maybe?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:36 pm 

AW REALLY

BURRITO? THAT DOES NOT RHYME!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:53 am 

back when Ireland was Catholic, the priest would have taken a flamethrower to that profanity in God's house

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
When I listen to those endless reels it becomes very clear why the Irish drink so much.

This guy gets it...

Ireland is one of THE most depressing places on earth today. And it will get worse, before it gets better.