It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:14 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:
I much prefer the bands that influenced Nirvana's sound (Flipper, the Buttholes, Scratch Acid, etc.) than Nirvana itself. But Nirvana is still light years ahead of those where the singer sounds like a male sheep or goat being castrated.

I love how hot you are caller Bob cock sucking burrito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
I think I actually found out a couple of days later on a bus on the way to the Sox opener. Or maybe I just didn’t give a shit when I heard it the first time. I am still trying to figure out how after 30 years his music actually gets worse than when it first came out. Usually you learn to appreciate music after several years, but this shit just keeps getting worse and worse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
Without Nirvana we never get Puddle Of Mudd.

Blurry's great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Kurt got all his ideas from these guys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The only grunge figure death that stuck with me was Chris Cornell. I'm not even a big Soundgarden fan, but he had made it through that problematic period during a musician's late 20's/early 30's and wasn't an obvious drug addict like Scott Weiland. It was just so surprising and senseless.

As for Nirvana, yes, they're derivative of bands like the Pixies, but every band is a derivative of some other band. The biggest problem with grunge is that it was basically a dead end. It didn't give rise to another genre and I don't think it even gave rise to any interesting bands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:27 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
Without Nirvana we never get Puddle Of Mudd.

Blurry's great.

Thank God, the Boomer has spoken.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Leila is a 7.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nardi wrote:
Leila is a 7.

She's not the brightest bulb around, but I don't think her I.Q. is quite that low.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Man wrote:
I think I actually found out a couple of days later on a bus on the way to the Sox opener. Or maybe I just didn’t give a shit when I heard it the first time. I am still trying to figure out how after 30 years his music actually gets worse than when it first came out. Usually you learn to appreciate music after several years, but this shit just keeps getting worse and worse.

I agree. I still love Pearl Jam first 2 albums. I don't love Nirvana anymore. You really have to be a teenager or early 20s to love Nirvana I think. That's who their music is meant for.

Pearl Jam is timeless and for all ages.

But it the 90s it was Pearl Jam and Nirvana neck and neck. Bunch of other great bands right below them. The 90s was unreal for rock. Really was the best era is you just consider the number of great bands and songs that were produced in the 90s. Beats the 60s, 70s, and 80s with pure volume. Nobody can dispute that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Yea it was sox opening day. Heard it getting off the train in Homewood.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:53 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
T-Bone wrote:
Kind of a stupid thread but what the hell.....

Actually it's not that bad...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:06 am 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Beardown wrote:
The Man wrote:

I agree. I still love Pearl Jam first 2 albums. I don't love Nirvana anymore. You really have to be a teenager or early 20s to love Nirvana I think. That's who their music is meant for.

But it the 90s it was Pearl Jam and Nirvana neck and neck. Bunch of other great bands right below them. The 90s was unreal for rock. Really was the best era is you just consider the number of great bands and songs that were produced in the 90s. Beats the 60s, 70s, and 80s with pure volume. Nobody can dispute that.

Pearl Jam sucks also and Eddie Vedder can go fuck himself. And the Red Hot Chili Peppers blow as well.
That’s the problem with WXRT news nowadays every 3rd song seems to be either Nirvana, Pearl Jam or the Chili Peppers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:54 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
The Man wrote:
Beardown wrote:
The Man wrote:

Pearl Jam sucks also and Eddie Vedder can go fuck himself. And the Red Hot Chili Peppers blow as well.
That’s the problem with WXRT news nowadays every 3rd song seems to be either Nirvana, Pearl Jam or the Chili Peppers.

Point to the spot on this doll where Eddie Vedder hurt you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:09 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Was in my front room listening to Q101 when the news broke. I was in the Pearl Jam camp, so it didn't affect me at all. I remember turning on MTV and whatever talking turd Kurt Loder had on said this is our generation's John Lennon. Talk about a terrible take!

On the one hand, watching the HBO special and some of the documentaries, you see the pain behind the lyrics and angst. Its the differentiator and why so many people locked on to Nirvana (well, along with all the other bandwagon fans). On the other hand, the music just never measured up for me. I thought In Utero was terrible and can't remember the last time I've listened to it. Rape Me? Come on Kurt, everyone is raping someone in the music industry (both actual rape and metaphorical, but that's for another time). Say what you want about Pearl Jam, but I felt a longer lasting impact, even to this day, with songs like Alive and Black. A lot of fans clung on to Alive, screaming along to this day at shows. Now picture Nirvana, in their late 50's, standing up on stage and singing, while you scream, "With the lights out, it's less dangerous! Here we are now entertain us!" I guess it just doesn't have that same impact.

To summarize, fucking memorable lyrics and a huge impact to the generation, no doubt, but its a moment in time that can't be captured again.