It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Kind of a stupid thread but what the hell....

April 5, 1994, do you remember where you were? Did his loss have any effect on you? Hard to believe that 30 years went by that quickly.

I was a pretty big fan of Nirvana at the time. Definitely remember being surprised at the news and he was the first of MANY grunge rockers to lose their lives early in one fashion or another. This was near the end of my senior year in high school so I'd say it had some kind of effect on me for the simple fact that it hammered home the fact that life can be short and didn't have a lot of experience with death at that point in my life.

I still see a lot of Nirvana t-shirts worn by young kids and always wonder if they actually ever listened to the music or just bought the t-shirt because it was cool or something. The albums in my collection include Nevermind, In Utero, and MTV Unplugged. Didn't really go down the rabbit hole of trying to find much more music than what was found on those. I'd be curious to know how long they would have been able to hold on together as a group or what Kurt would be doing today but my guess is he would still be long gone, just at a different time than it actually happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I was in the parking lot of The Brookfield Restaurant on Ogden Ave when I heard it on Q101. The revisionist history of MANY well actuallying that Smells Like Teen Spirit wasn’t that big of a deal astounds me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Comparing the type of music the Foo Fighters are putting out to the type of music Nirvana was making, I would have to assume that Cobain and Grohl would have parted ways at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Quote:
30 years gone

Mind blowing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
No clue why it took so long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
T-Bone wrote:
Kind of a stupid thread but what the hell....

April 5, 1994, do you remember where you were? Did his loss have any effect on you? Hard to believe that 30 years went by that quickly.

I was a pretty big fan of Nirvana at the time. Definitely remember being surprised at the news and he was the first of MANY grunge rockers to lose their lives early in one fashion or another. This was near the end of my senior year in high school so I'd say it had some kind of effect on me for the simple fact that it hammered home the fact that life can be short and didn't have a lot of experience with death at that point in my life.

I still see a lot of Nirvana t-shirts worn by young kids and always wonder if they actually ever listened to the music or just bought the t-shirt because it was cool or something. The albums in my collection include Nevermind, In Utero, and MTV Unplugged. Didn't really go down the rabbit hole of trying to find much more music than what was found on those. I'd be curious to know how long they would have been able to hold on together as a group or what Kurt would be doing today but my guess is he would still be long gone, just at a different time than it actually happened.

Freshman year in college. Might of spring break but I think I was probably siting in my dorm room. I remember being a bit shocked butI also remember finding it weird how it affected people. I think the bigger impact a singer had on me was when I heard Freddie Mercury had died. I had Nevermind and In Utero of course and Incesticide. Had a homemade copy of Bleach on tape. Wonder where the hell that is.

I don't think he was long for this world in general like you say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
denisdman wrote:

You don't understand why it took so long for him to be dead for 30 years?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
He was in pain and his wife was a Caller Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:34 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You don't understand why it took so long for him to be dead for 30 years?

No why he hasn’t been dead for say 35.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Sophomore year of high school. Study hall. I thought (still do) that Nirvana was overrated. Territorial Pissings was my favorite song of theirs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:40 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Sophomore year of high school. Study hall. I thought (still do) that Nirvana was overrated. Territorial Pissings was my favorite song of theirs.

They are. I always preferred Bush, STP, and Pearl Jam to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:42 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Bush might thr most boring band of that era.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
denisdman wrote:
I always preferred Bush
So does Hank Scorpio

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:47 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I always preferred Bush
So does Hank Scorpio

Can he eat as much as he did with chicken wings?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:48 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Nirvana was just a dude screaming lyrics no one could understand. Wish he had died sooner to save my ears from that trash.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Talking to the kids today, they don't comprehend that at the time Pearl Jam was more in demand at the time he died. Vs. was seen as a better album than In Utero and the anticipation for Vs. was a bit higher...at least among the people I hung out with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:57 pm 

In 94 I was in 6th grade giving answers to Sarah. She told me she loved me. I thought it was for the answers I didn't know it was for my penis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Nirvana was just a dude screaming lyrics no one could understand. Wish he had died sooner to save my ears from that trash.

If your sole rag on Nirvana is a dude screaming lyrics no one could understand, Bush isn’t a good comparison in the positive.

Better walk from your machine head.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 pm 

Psycory wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Talking to the kids today, they don't comprehend that at the time Pearl Jam was more in demand at the time he died. Vs. was seen as a better album than In Utero and the anticipation for Vs. was a bit higher...at least among the people I hung out with.

It was my freshman year at UIUC- PJ was top, STP 2nd, and Nirvana 3rd. Grunge stores everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:00 pm 

W_Z wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

If your sole rag on Nirvana is a dude screaming lyrics no one could understand, Bush isn’t a good comparison in the positive.

Better walk from your machine head.

I have no $ole. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 pm 

I really liked Nirvana and grunge in general, as much as I like any music. The 90s were such a busy decade for me that things like a musicians death had no impact. I've never understood people caring that much about the death of someone they don't know personally, like Princess Diana. It's mental illness.

Smells Like Teen Spirit came out when I lived in Rome. It took a little while for it to get there, but it definitely had an impact in Europe. The song was hypnotic. You'd hear it played and people would immediately become different, aggressive. It seemed like it was mostly liked by young males and northern europeans more than southerners. But it was undeniably present. I'd say that and Guns n' Roses were the two noticeable ones you'd see people liking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
Warren Newson wrote:
Comparing the type of music the Foo Fighters are putting out to the type of music Nirvana was making, I would have to assume that Cobain and Grohl would have parted ways at some point.

Foo Fighters is Christian rock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:51 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Psycory wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_9ATQFgu9o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:56 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Foo Fighters is Christian rock

Yup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:59 pm 

denisdman wrote:
It was my freshman year at UIUC- PJ was top, STP 2nd, and Nirvana 3rd. Grunge stores everywhere.

Also my freshman year in college, also at UIUC. Agree with the band rankings.
White Sox lost in the ALCS that year. Michael Jordan retires. It was a big year for angst.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
1) Overrated doesn't necessarily mean it's bad
2) Body of Work

Nevermind is a great album and it was huge...highly influential and different for the time when it came out. In Utero was cool simply for the fact that I'd call it uncompromising and it didn't try to be a commercial hit, but it didn't have the hooks and as good of songwriting as Nevermind. Yes there was Bleach before Nevermind and other indie releases. All that being said, Nirvana was not in my top 5 list of important bands of the 90's and that simply because of . a small body of work. Sucks he was a tortured soul and it sucks he's dead, but Layne Staley was a bigger deal to me. Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Live, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, RHCP.....all more important in the history of rock than Nirvana.

Good band, too bad we don't have more music to enjoy, but nothing I lose sleep over.. The biggest travesty is Kurt's death gave us musical savior Dave Grohl :evil:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:13 pm 

Mudhoney, Melvins, and Pixies are probably *better* bands than Nirvana. Nirvana hit at the right time and just had presence. For a meek guy, Kurt had quite a stage presence.

I saw a post on reddit about why albums by other grunge bands didn't pop like "Nevermind", and the answer was "Because those albums didn't have 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'." I think that's pretty accurate.

my favorite release from Nirvana will always be "Incesticide", even though it's just a collection of B-sides. Some great stuff there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
my kids both like their music, havent told them how it ended yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm 

Without Nirvana we never get Puddle Of Mudd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:34 pm 

I much prefer the bands that influenced Nirvana's sound (Flipper, the Buttholes, Scratch Acid, etc.) than Nirvana itself. But Nirvana is still light years ahead of those where the singer sounds like a male sheep or goat being castrated.