It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North New Plan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:57 pm 

So I take it that North's plan to get a new contract is to urge people to praise him. Seems odd that Hawk Harreslon and Steve Stone out of the blue take time to call in and praise the guy, Bebe must have cut a few checks.

Post subject: Re: North New Plan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

RodeoVann wrote:
So I take it that North's plan to get a new contract is to urge people to praise him. Seems odd that Hawk Harreslon and Steve Stone out of the blue take time to call in and praise the guy, Bebe must have cut a few checks.

What were they calling in for, to congratulate him on finally winning one ratings book ? If that's what it was, congrats North, but it would be pathetic to act like he just got the Imus job or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
The guy had a great book and you guys still find a way to give him a hard time.

I actually think he should be congratulated, and I said so in another North thread earlier today. I like the changes made to the show, but I just find it petty if he's having people calling in acting like this is some historic event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:51 pm 

Id sign him up immediately for a 3 year 2 million dollar extension :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
There is a first time for everything, good for Mike. I'll hold off heaping too much praise until he does it for two consecutive books.
Maybe he has finally pocketed his ego and is willing to make the necessary changes to keep the new audience. He needs to take more calls and argue less with Jen-Jen. Fred has also stepped out and started to disagree with Mike. Fred has it in him. He did have some original thoughts when he was on with Murph. Fredsmissingnuts must have sent a care package to Fred. In any event, the MNMShitfest has been much more listenable since the departure of Anne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

I didn't listen. B&B beat MJH. They've had pretty decent books before this one too. Do you hear them patting themselves on the back for 4 hours?

No. They do their show. The content of the show is the reason people listen. Not giving yourself a blow job for 4 hours.

Every time Pappy gets in the news the show discussion, from what I've read here, is about him and how great he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mr. Reason wrote:
There is a first time for everything, good for Mike. I'll hold off heaping too much praise until he does it for two consecutive books.
Maybe he has finally pocketed his ego and is willing to make the necessary changes to keep the new audience. He needs to take more calls and argue less with Jen-Jen. Fred has also stepped out and started to disagree with Mike. Fred has it in him. He did have some original thoughts when he was on with Murph. Fredsmissingnuts must have sent a care package to Fred. In any event, the MNMShitfest has been much more listenable since the departure of Anne.

You pretty much hit it on the head for further improvements - Fred needs to have a thought every day, keep Jen Jen away from the microphone, and take some phone calls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:22 pm 

Quote:
The guy had a great book and you guys still find a way to give him a hard time.

Nas, I gave him credit in another thread, but beating a national a weak show like he did, it isnt much to get giggly about. Also, I just think the way north is going about getting people to call in and kiss his ass is sad and pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's the point. With his salary and self stated greatness it should be expected that he beats a national show. It shouldn't be celebrated because you get one book in 3 years.

It's funny how after a long streak of failure all of a sudden becomes a celebration when you don't fail for once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Nas wrote:
It's his contract year. Why can't the guy promote himself now? At least he has a good reason to do it now.

Strike while the iron is hot. Timing is everything in life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
It's his contract year. Why can't the guy promote himself now? At least he has a good reason to do it now.

I would concede that it's likely that Mike would promote himself being that he will start talking new contract soon enough, but I fail to see what a Steve Stone call-in does to help him get that contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm 

I would be more impressed if Ozzie called in to praise Mikey.

Mike and Mike are TERRIBLE radio. I would expect a local sports talk show to beat out a national piece of crap. It's scary that he has to praise himself for an achievement two chimps and a gecko could have done in his place.

PATHETIC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:57 pm 

Quote:
Strike while the iron is hot. Timing is everything in life.

I agree, but winning one book in over 2 or 3 years doesnt really convince me that the show is worth keeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

They paid him 1.5 million. They gave him an Annie and tried to do a Howard Stern thing. The goal initially was to crack top 5 in all demos. Get WGN morning show type ratings. That's why you give somebody 1.5 million.

That failed obviously and he couldn't beat his main competition for the male demo for 3 years - Mike and Mike.

He wins this book. That is expected when your getting 1.5 million and you're trying to beat a national sports show.

B&B beat another local sports radio show. That's tougher. Actually B&B and MJH are both pretty succesful when you think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:08 am 

Juiced wrote:

Mike and Mike are TERRIBLE radio. I would expect a local sports talk show to beat out a national piece of crap. It's scary that he has to praise himself for an achievement two chimps and a gecko could have done in his place.
PATHETIC!

...two chimps and a gecko and the Cavemen from The GEICO commercials. Mmmmm! Now there's an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:15 am 
1000 CLUB

It was all because of the BILLBOARDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Quote:
Nas wrote:

I would concede that it's likely that Mike would promote himself being that he will start talking new contract soon enough, but I fail to see what a Steve Stone call-in does to help him get that contract.

right, because we all know that mike isn't a self-promoter during non-contract years :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juiced wrote:

PATHETIC!

I disagree, i think Mike and Mike are an easy listen for the morning commute to work, and while i wish there was some decent local sports radio on in the morning, I find it much easier and more enjoyable to have them on in the morning than North. North makes me laugh about once a week, but maybe thats only because i only flip to his show during commercials.

That said the content and discussion on Mike and Mike definitely is pretty weak, and they discuss their families way too much and play the "Odd Couple" gimmick up too much, but when they talk about sports i find them way easier to listen to than North

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think the solution to North's contract is quite simple.

Swap his show's time slot with Murph's time slot.

North could make more money per broadcast hour, yet have a smaller overall contract.

...and Murph could let us know what the newspaper columnists are writing about while we drive in to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

He can do what he want Nas. We all know he will.

But how does telling everybody how great he is help him in a contract year? Either they will or they won't resign him. It will be based on his performance. They have his ad rates and his ratings. They know the agrivation of his stupid comments.

So do you think him saying "Fred, I'm great." helps him get another 100k per year?

Do you think Score management is listening and saying "Damn, Pappy made Jen-Jen give him a compliment. That's gonna cost us."

It doesn't work that way Nas.