It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:19 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

It's not about overall distance as much as control Tiger can have in difficult lies and the trajectories he can achieve as a result of his club selection.

Right...control is more mental than it is physical. i'm not saying it isn't physical at all, I'm saying Golf is more about control and focus, than it is about distance.

Besides, if you can't putt, you can't win. And Tiger's the best when it comes to making putts.

I meant to go back to this:

Quote:
At the local country club, this may be true. On a US Open course, when Tiger is ripping a new Grand Canyon with a 7-iron from 195 yards in 6 inches of rough to reach a green, it isn't.

I believe your 2007 US Open champion was a chain smoking overweight guy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 am 

W_Z
Quote:
I believe your 2007 US Open champion was a chain smoking overweight guy...

...who is one of the longest hitters on tour. All of these guys for the most part are accurate. Some more than others. With today's technology it is a lot easier to control your shot so distance has become more of an advantage. That is why guys like Corey Pavin and Fred Funk have faded away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
W_Z wrote:
Right...control is more mental than it is physical. i'm not saying it isn't physical at all, I'm saying Golf is more about control and focus, than it is about distance.

I'm not saying it is about overall distance at all. Tiger doesn't go for distance. But, control and distance are not mutually exclusive.

He hits more irons than most because he can. Because he can hit irons that far, he can control it. It is easier to control a 2 iron than a driver. He hits 8 iron from places other guys need 7 or 6.

Control is not mental. It is muscle memory and the ability to recreate the same swing on demand. His swing is perfect, at least moreso than most other guys. And he can hit the ball higher and farther in many cases than other guys which allows him to take shots others cannot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 am 

Control is not mental. It is muscle memory and the ability to recreate the same swing on demand.

Doctor...our brain controls everything in our body. Memory doesn't come from muscles, it comes from our brain...

I'm starting to lose sight of this argument...and I'm wondering if there are more than one going on here.

Are people really suspicious of Tiger taking steroids? He was dominating the sport when he was skinny.

Tiger gets into people's heads because of how he dominates, the way that Nicklaus did. The "bear" part of "Golden Bear" referred to that, and as RR suggested, possibly his body type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:07 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
W_Z wrote:

Control is not mental. It is muscle memory and the ability to recreate the same swing on demand.

Doctor...our brain controls everything in our body. Memory doesn't come from muscles, it comes from our brain...

I understand what you are saying. But, I can concentrate all day long and I will not hit the ball as consistently as Tiger Woods because I have not practiced and conditioned my muscles to act and respond the way he has.

I understand he needs to focus his mind to create this and I agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 am 

I understand what you are saying. But, I can concentrate all day long and I will not hit the ball as consistently as Tiger Woods because I have not practiced and conditioned my muscles to act and respond the way he has.

I understand he needs to focus his mind to create this and I agree with you.

gotcha, and i apologi if i sounded patronizing or anything.

but i still think you can do all the things tiger has done without performance enhancing drugs. i mean, when he was just a little kid, his dad had him hitting golf balls over his head--this kid isn't intimidated by anything. and i think that's what makes him a winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 am 

W_Z wrote:
gotcha, and i apologi if i sounded patronizing or anything.

but i still think you can do all the things tiger has done without performance enhancing drugs. i mean, when he was just a little kid, his dad had him hitting golf balls over his head--this kid isn't intimidated by anything. and i think that's what makes him a winner.

Agreed.

He's everything Todd Marinovich wishes he could have been. He's been groomed since birth to be what he is, right or wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 am 

I don't think he uses steriods. I think he is simply just the greatest golfer of all time who realizes staying in shape enhances his physical skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
OakBrookJoe wrote:
I don't think he uses steriods. I think he is simply just the greatest golfer of all time who realizes staying in shape enhances his physical skills.

Agreed. Why be a tubby lard-ass when he can stay in shape and look and feel good?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 am 

Golf Fight! :lol:

I never watch the game and only rarely play it. I do not break 100 with regularity, but:

1) I do not know many men who have gotten in better shape since they got married and had children. On the other hand, I have heard a focused 30 minute workout a day can have a bigger impact than an undirected hour.

2) How is someone who grew up on a course playing a game every day that few could afford to play once in a while an outsider? It's difficult to call a person who spent his childhood in such a manner not part of the priveleged class...and at the same time deriding those who busted their butts carrying bags for years just so they could afford college.

3) Did Tiger graduate from Stanford?

4) Why would you consider him athletic? What other athletic feats has he performed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:40 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Golf Fight! :lol:

2) How is someone who grew up on a course playing a game every day that few could afford to play once in a while an outsider? It's difficult to call a person who spent his childhood in such a manner not part of the priveleged class...and at the same time deriding those who busted their butts carrying bags for years just so they could afford college.

3) Did Tiger graduate from Stanford?

4) Why would you consider him athletic? What other athletic feats has he performed?

2) When the game is/and has always been either cost prohibitive or restrictive, even though one may play quite a bit on public courses, (you) are an outsider. Again this mostly deals with economics, public perception and unfortunately still, race. The kid from Back of the Yards, Cal City, Berwyn or take your pick of working class neighborhoods is to some extent an outsider, just like Tiger was to some extent. Admittedly, once Tiger became a known prodigy, he became less of an outsider, but still on the outside looking in to some degree.

3) Don't know, but that he got in and as Hank Stram would say (would've said), that he matriculated down the field there to some degree, which is impressive in its own right (Ask Jim Harbaugh)

4) To hear about his training regimen, to observe both his power and endurance and to see his physical makeup, I think answers the main part of that question. As to other athletic feats he has performed, perhaps just as many as Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Mark Aguirre, Bernie Kosar, Albert Pujols or about thousands other 'lights' on the athletic field who were known for greatness in a narrow selected area in their own respective sport. (And please none of the the Tony Gwynn was a Basketball player at SD State, that couldn't have been anymore difficult or athletically taxing than being a basketball player at Loyola today)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

I love how Good Dolphin quesitoned when Tiger has time to work out because he has a wife and kid now.

He's not like you Good Dolphin. Beleive me, he'll never be stuck having to watch the kid. He's got people. If the wife wants to go out to dinner and Tiger wants to work out - guess what? Tiger's working out. She won't bitch. If she does Tiger finds another blond model that won't bitch.

Plus he just had the kid. He doesn't have a 9-5 job. He just works Thursday - Sunday during the Spring and Summer. And not every week.

Hell, Jordan got in better shape after having a wife and 3 kids. Plus a couple women on the side. How the hell did that happen?

Also, if you're telling me that being in great shape didn't help his endurance on those 100 degree days in Oklahoma then you're kidding yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:15 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
4) To hear about his training regimen, to observe both his power and endurance and to see his physical makeup, I think answers the main part of that question. As to other athletic feats he has performed, perhaps just as many as Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Mark Aguirre, Bernie Kosar, Albert Pujols or about thousands other 'lights' on the athletic field who were known for greatness in a narrow selected area in their own respective sport. (And please none of the the Tony Gwynn was a Basketball player at SD State, that couldn't have been anymore difficult or athletically taxing than being a basketball player at Loyola today)

Each of those sports require require varied skills even within their narrow fields...and never break bad on Tony Gwynn. Golf really only requires an ability to swing in order to be good. Even though it may be a difficult skil I would not use it as an example of athletic ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:30 pm 

good dolphin
Quote:
Each of those sports require require varied skills even within their narrow fields...and never break bad on Tony Gwynn. Golf really only requires an ability to swing in order to be good. Even though it may be a difficult skil I would not use it as an example of athletic ability.

Would putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play, punch shots, flop shots, etc. count as varied skills?

Just like other sports you need hand-eye coordination, feel, timing, and body control under pressure situations.