It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spurs quasi dynasty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 am 

Bye Tim

Post subject: Re: Spurs quasi dynasty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
hell of a run, great team and Duncan is a top ten player all time and Pop is the second best coach all time...not a bad run

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Not a bad run at all.

Probably not dead yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Spark is an ignorant lil bastard.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Wasn't their eulogy written last year after the first round loss?

They'll be back.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am 

It was a good run.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am 

RFDC wrote:
It was a good run.

For Tim Duncan it's more of a slight jog now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Just like the great Coach Pop's HOF introductions were written after game two of this past series...oops. :lol:

They're done. And I'm ready for the great Coach Pop :roll: to be exposed as just the monkey driving the Duncan bandwagon that he has been.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
And I'm ready for the great Coach Pop :roll: to be exposed as just the monkey driving the Duncan bandwagon that he has been.

:lol: Wow.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am 

OH SNAP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Just like the great Coach Pop's HOF introductions were written after game two of this past series...oops. :lol:

They're done. And I'm ready for the great Coach Pop :roll: to be exposed as just the monkey driving the Duncan bandwagon that he has been.

So much disdain, Uncle Reader. Why are you so dismissive of Popovich?

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I still think its crazy how since 1996 there have been a total of 5 franchises representing the West in the Finals. (Sonics/Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Mavs, Spurs)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I still think its crazy how since 1996 there have been a total of 5 franchises representing the West in the Finals. (Sonics/Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Mavs, Spurs)

Why?

Two of probably the 10 best players of all time played for the Spurs & Lakers during that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:34 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Since 1980 9 teams have won the title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: ------
The Spurs put up a valient effort but they ran into a hurricaine of athleticsm with this Thunder team. Hard to believe the difference between the first 2 games in the series and the last 4. And here I was looking forward to everybody bitching about a Celtics vs Spurs matchup in the finals

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 am 

Phil McCracken wrote:
And here I was looking forward to everybody bitching about a Celtics vs Spurs matchup in the finals

Are you a CBS executive or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

So much disdain, Uncle Reader. Why are you so dismissive of Popovich?

Because I've never thought much of him. I've thought he is one of the most over hyped people in the past 35+ years I've been an NBA fan.

He took over after a horrible season in which the Admiral and Sean Elliot were out. Thanks to that horrible record he drafted Tim Duncan and got his two stars back. Suddenly we were to believe that "he" was the reason for the great turnaround?

His stars have always been fundamentals first, straight arrows who have always played smart basketball. His title winning teams are largely forgettable squads who played the boring, formulaic style they were only capable of. I give him credit for wisely recognizing that in the same sense that I give water purifiers credit for what they do, clean water into a colorless, tasteless item. He recognized that he had one of the only quality big men in an era bereft of good big men. He put shooters around him. He had a well practiced team defense.

Which is good. As in Jerry Sloan, Lenny Wilkens good. Good, but certainly not memorable.

Not great. From one of the largely accepted :roll: greatest coaches of all time I would expect more. Despite the surprising job he did for most of the regular season, I don't think he's capable of it long term. Especially when his bread and butter star is gone.

But the ALS around him would vehemently disagree.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Douchebag wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
And here I was looking forward to everybody bitching about a Celtics vs Spurs matchup in the finals

Are you a CBS executive or something?

It's a tradition unlike any other....people bitching about the Spurs in the finals.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 am 

How is that any different from Phil or any great coach?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 am 

Thanks for the breakdown, Reader. I can understand that point.

100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Since 1980 9 teams have won the title
Thats nuts too. I know 1 superstar makes much more of a difference in bball than in MLB or NFL, but I couldn't imagine if in almost 30 years there were only 9 different World Series winners.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Pops HoF credentials were forged years ago. Not sure what you mean in the first point.

The last two regular seasons have proven you don't know what you are talking about. Most people here agree the Spurs don't have as much talent as OKC and that's why most people picked them to lose the series(obviously I didn't), so you can't really say this playoff loss somehow diminishes what Pop has accomplished. He's proven that he can adapt to his changing personnel. Years ago they won with the best defensive player/team in the league. The past two seasons they had the best record in the league by spreading the floor and having the most efficient scoring offense in the league.

And your explanation for your thoughts is almost worse RR. "He didn't have a great team and they were boring and he won 4 titles but they had two stars but it was forgettable and he's not great because of that." Not only does that not make a lick of sense, it's completely subjective. I'll always remember the Duncan/Pop Spurs. They had one of the great runs in league history. Just because they didn't fill up Sportscenter doesn't mean they weren't great. Maybe you should watch the Heat if you wanna see exciting alley oops. The boring fundamentals that you seem to have an obvious disdain for are the very thing that makes Pops an all time great coach. Sorry you can't see that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:

I don't think Pop has made any player (with the possible exception of Tony Parker) better. He has never coached any style of basketball that's been interesting nor innovative. His stamp on the game is the same as Naismith's or Phog Allen's from the 20's-50's. Ho hum.

Phil, Riley, Auerbach, Chuck Daly, Sloan and many others I think all could have beaten his teams with theirs' and beaten their own teams with his. I don't think he's equally capable. In the same way he's as great a gm as Rod Thorn was, because he had one of the greatest players fall into his lap. Maybe that's a bit much, but you'll get my point. But, and also to his benefit, he doesn't seem to embrace the overwrought bouquets thrown his way to the degree others did (except Sloan). I just think he's far less deserving of them....if that's possible.

Frankly, I just have long held the belief that NBA head coaches are the most overrated bunch in all of the major sports. Maybe excepting hitting coaches :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I don't think Pop has made any player (with the possible exception of Tony Parker) better. He has never coached any style of basketball that's been interesting nor innovative. His stamp on the game is the same as Naismith's or Phog Allen's from the 20's-50's. Ho hum.

Phil, Riley, Auerbach, Chuck Daly, Sloan and many others I think all could have beaten his teams with theirs' and beaten their own teams with his. I don't think he's equally capable. In the same way he's as great a gm as Rod Thorn was, because he had one of the greatest players fall into his lap. Maybe that's a bit much, but you'll get my point. But, and also to his benefit, he doesn't seem to embrace the overwrought bouquets thrown his way to the degree others did (except Sloan). I just think he's far less deserving of them....if that's possible.

Frankly, I just have long held the belief that NBA head coaches are the most overrated bunch in all of the major sports. Maybe excepting hitting coaches :wink:

I guess my point is they all had great players fall in their laps, that's what made them great coaches. You forgot pitching coaches. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:22 am 

I really dont understand how you can say he doesn't develop players. I'd argue he's one of the best of all time at it. He certainly is regarded as a master of it in today's league, but I guess you feel that reputation is unearned.

Tony Parker - you mentioned him, but in a dismissive way. Turning a late 1st rounder into an All Star who finished top 5 in MVP voting.

Manu Ginobli - 57th pick of the draft. Probably a future HoF'er. I guess you think he woulda been that good under anybody.

Tim Duncan - probably would've been an all-time great without Pop, but you can't say Pop didn't have a hand in his development. That's be false.

Those are obviously the principals, and the first two severely weaken your argument. Then you look at the fact that all their picks are late round picks and see what they've done. DeJuan Blair - 2nd round pick who's played a Taj Gibson role for them nicely the past two seasons. George Hill was developed as a late round pick, played well, and was moved for Kawhi Leonard. Leonard was a mid-1st round pick who shot like 25% from 3 in December/January and 40% in April. He's also become a valuable rotation guy as a rookie and the development he's shown throughout the season has been obvious. I've posted about 4-5 times here throughout the year. Then they get a fat non-factor from Charlotte in Diaw and Pops has him playing like he did in Phoenix even though he's 20 lbs overweight. Tiago Splitter was either a very late 1st or early 2nd pick and he's turned into a rotation player in less than two seasons in the NBA. Guys like Oberto and Nazr Mohammad should've never started an NBA game in their life and he won with them starting next to Duncan and playing effectively.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Pops HoF credentials were forged years ago. Not sure what you mean in the first point.

The last two regular seasons have proven you don't know what you are talking about. Why is this always your first line of argument with anyone who would dare disparage any Spur? Why can't anyone else have a differing opinion that includes the belief that the Spurs are a boring watch? Most people here agree the Spurs don't have as much talent as OKC and that's why most people picked them to lose the series(obviously I didn't And so your point based upon your voluminous basketball expertise is?), so you can't really say this playoff loss somehow diminishes what Pop has accomplished. I never said that, I just was noting how everyone was bending over backwards to illustrate how the great coach Pop was pantsing Brooks in the coaching dept. one short week ago He's proven that he can adapt to his changing personnel. And for his title runs, his personnel didn't change, now did they REALLY?!? Years ago they won with the best defensive player/team in the league. Period. But that had nothing to really do with his coaching. His gm work yes, coaching, not nearly as much. The past two seasons they had the best record in the league by spreading the floor and having the most efficient scoring offense in the league. And exactly what did that bring them? Conference titles? :wink:

And your explanation for your thoughts is almost worse RR. "He didn't have a great team and they were boring and he won 4 titles but they had two stars but it was forgettable and he's not great because of that." Not only does that not make a lick of sense, it's completely subjective. Coming from one who misread what I wrote because of your Spurs fandom, I'll consider the source. But don't use quotation marks where they aren't appropriate, "please" I'll always remember the Duncan/Pop Spurs. Good for you. I just will choose not to. To each his own, unless your vast 15 years of basketball fandom don't allow for others to have differing opinions They had one of the great runs in league history. And exactly were did I imply anything to the contrary? Again, imaginary reading. I sense a theme. Just because they didn't fill up Sportscenter doesn't mean they weren't great. I never suggested that and don't consider ESPN as definitive of anything. Just because you grew up in the era of bs 24 hr. broadcasting and painfully consider it to be the be all and end all, doesn't mean the rest of us are similarly misguided Maybe you should watch the Heat if you wanna see exciting alley oops. The boring fundamentals that you seem to have an obvious disdain for are the very thing that makes Pops an all time great coach. Sorry you can't see that.

Take your alley oop remarks and go fertilize something with them. You haven't seen enough basketball in your short life for me to consider your opinion about what is and isn't interesting worthwhile. You clearly don't know "great". As for me, I want to see exciting or at least interesting play. The Spurs never were imo. They were a throwback to the the NBA of the 50's, fine for some, duller than hell for most. BFD.

They were a great team, with great players, including one of the greatest ever. But would I want to watch them play? Not really. Better question: would I pay to see them play? An emphatic no. Do I think Pop's a good coach, yes. Great, no not really. Do I think he belongs in the pantheon of "great" NBA coaches (for what that's worth) no. While it puzzles me that this so obviously hurts your feelings, maybe you should consider your own lack of objectivity and refrain from taking remarks about a basketball coach and milquetoast team so personally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 am 

Phil McCracken wrote:
The Spurs put up a valient effort but they ran into a hurricaine of athleticsm with this Thunder team.

:lol: What's wrong with you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Take your alley oop remarks and go fertilize something with them. You haven't seen enough basketball in your short life for me to consider your opinion about what is and isn't interesting worthwhile. You clearly don't know "great".

Come on RR, why you gotta go here? You are better than this. So you gotta be old in order to know what is good basketball? Come on man.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I really dont understand how you can say he doesn't develop players. I'd argue he's one of the best of all time at it. He certainly is regarded as a master of it in today's league, but I guess you feel that reputation is unearned.

Tony Parker - you mentioned him, but in a dismissive way. Turning a late 1st rounder into an All Star who finished top 5 in MVP voting.

Manu Ginobli - 57th pick of the draft. Probably a future HoF'er. I guess you think he woulda been that good under anybody.

Tim Duncan - probably would've been an all-time great without Pop, but you can't say Pop didn't have a hand in his development. That's be false.

Those are obviously the principals, and the first two severely weaken your argument. (I gave him credit for Parker, but you appear to be equally "dismissive" of Parker's own work to get better, but Ginobili was a shooter when he got here and guess what, he's a shooter now, nothing really more nothing really less) Then you look at the fact that all their picks are late round picks and see what they've done. DeJuan Blair - 2nd round pick who's played a Taj Gibson role for them nicely the past two seasons. George Hill was developed as a late round pick, played well, and was moved for Kawhi Leonard. Leonard was a mid-1st round pick who shot like 25% from 3 in December/January and 40% in April. He's also become a valuable rotation guy as a rookie and the development he's shown throughout the season has been obvious. I've posted about 4-5 times here throughout the year. Then they get a fat non-factor from Charlotte in Diaw and Pops has him playing like he did in Phoenix even though he's 20 lbs overweight. Tiago Splitter was either a very late 1st or early 2nd pick and he's turned into a rotation player in less than two seasons in the NBA. Guys like Oberto and Nazr Mohammad should've never started an NBA game in their life and he won with them starting next to Duncan and playing effectively.

And the commonality here is what? Like I said in the beginning, Duncan has made them all rich...and revered.

Your inexperience is showing. Citing HOF potential and NBA MVP voting isn't exactly rock solid proof of anything, other than how clueless many basketball writers are and how pointless the Basketball HOF is.