It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
LTG, did you ever consider that maybe we don't like the NBA because the games are simply boring with no stakes to them? There are probably only 3 legitimate, maybe 4 teams in the league with a chance to win. The rest of the league is either in NBA Hell and in denial about it, or they are flat out tanking and doing a bad job of masking it.

Thats a copout. The Patriots have been to 7 or 8 Super Bowls in 15 years and it bothers very few.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 am 

pittmike wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Its not basketball as much as its Pro Basketball. College is fine but the thought that there might be black millionaires out there appears to be too much for some apparently.

:lol: Fucking knew it.

Calling Nas.

And I'm absolutely correct in that assumption.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
LTG, did you ever consider that maybe we don't like the NBA because the games are simply boring with no stakes to them? There are probably only 3 legitimate, maybe 4 teams in the league with a chance to win. The rest of the league is either in NBA Hell and in denial about it, or they are flat out tanking and doing a bad job of masking it.

Thats a copout. The Patriots have been to 7 or 8 Super Bowls in 15 years and it bothers very few.

The Patriots have been to a lot of Super Bowls, but other teams have a chance. The fact is the NFL has at least 10 contenders in any given season. The fights for wild card slots which actually matter as a wild card team can win it all. Plus with only 16 games on the schedule, there are no unimportant games for a team in contention.

There is no league in North American sports that has so few contenders and so many tanking teams as the NBA.

The superteam issue exists in other sports, EPL is a great example. However, relegation in that league ensures there is no such thing as tanking. Obviously you can't have relegation in NA sports with how the leagues are set up so the NBA needs to find another solution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

fantasy & gambling

you keep ignoring these key variables

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The Patriots have been to a lot of Super Bowls, but other teams have a chance. The fact is the NFL has at least 10 contenders in any given season. The fights for wild card slots which actually matter as a wild card team can win it all. Plus with only 16 games on the schedule, there are no unimportant games for a team in contention.

There is no league in North American sports that has so few contenders and so many tanking teams as the NBA.

The superteam issue exists in other sports, EPL is a great example. However, relegation in that league ensures there is no such thing as tanking. Obviously you can't have relegation in NA sports with how the leagues are set up.

I understand perfectly what you are saying and there is a reason for it.

The NBA seeks to have the best 2 teams playing at the end of the year each and every year. Why do you think that the Celtics and Lakers battles of the 80's are always referenced when people speak of the golden era of the NBA?

You knew when you watched those 2 teams play that you were watching the 2 best at what they do in the world. That's why.

Sudden death eliminations are good but watching the best of the best compete is better for me. Its why i first became interested in sports.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Got to sample about an hour of both afternoon shows yesterday. Both spent time talking about the NFL helmet rule change.

A tiny change of an NFL rule moved the meters more than the current NBA season yesterday.

Who knows if it does?

One of the reasons that the ratings have stagnated or declined over the years may be related to the fact that the Score has always catered to a "demo" that isn't reflective of the city overall.

It was clear Bernstein and Goff tried to tap into a different demo for a little more than a year. That demo didn't show up enough to outweigh the demo being pushed away.

That could be.

That is it.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
long time guy wrote:
The NBA seeks to have the best 2 teams playing at the end of the year each and every year.
Warriors, Cavs. Warriors, Cavs. Everybody knew that's how it would end up. The regular season didn't matter. There was no storyline that grabbed the casual fan. Their mantra was "I'll watch in June." There was no real reason to talk NBA-- especially in Chicago-- until The Finals started.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The superteam issue exists in other sports, EPL is a great example. However, relegation in that league ensures there is no such thing as tanking. Obviously you can't have relegation in NA sports with how the leagues are set up so the NBA needs to find another solution.

Tanking really only occurs when there is a generational talent out there. It doesn't occur every season. No one tanked last season. No one tanked when Anthony Bennett was drafted first. Tanking is predicated upon the talent available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The NBA seeks to have the best 2 teams playing at the end of the year each and every year.
Warriors, Cavs. Warriors, Cavs. Everybody knew that's how it would end up. The regular season didn't matter. There was no storyline that grabbed the casual fan. Their mantra was "I'll watch in June." There was no real reason to talk NBA-- especially in Chicago-- until The Finals started.

I get that but if people were so turned off then why did that particular series post the highest ratings in 18 years?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I get that but if people were so turned off then why did that particular series post the highest ratings in 18 years?

People will tune in for Warriors-Cavs, but once again this proves there is absolutely no point to NBA basketball in March as the games are 100% meaningless. This is why OBJ trade talk is more appropriate than NBA talk right now. OBJ trade talk is something that matters in sports. late regular season NBA basketball doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 am 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

:lol: Guess what, the Super Bowl and World Series gets ratings too!

Your whole point of this thread is that regular season NBA talk is interesting. I completely debunked that and you retort with talk about the ratings for The Finals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

People will tune in for Warriors-Cavs, but once again this proves there is absolutely no point to NBA basketball in March as the games are 100% meaningless. This is why OBJ trade talk is more appropriate than NBA talk right now.

You're telling me that you know who will be in the Finals? If you do then lets bet (avatar) on it.

OBJ talk shouldn't be more prevalent. At the end of the day it is still out of season for that sport. Talking about sports when they aren't in season is PTFB. There really wasn't even a story. He isn't on the block.

When you get down to it the NBA is the 2nd most popular sport in this country. It is also the sport with the youngest demo. It is also the only sport of the major 3 that has global reach. Fastest growing sport in the world.

Local sports stations can continue to ignore this if they like. The world isn't however. Ratings are declining in Football. That is a fact. Ratings are up in Basketball. That is a fact. They will continue to climb as more people become interested in the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

:lol: Guess what, the Super Bowl and World Series gets ratings too!

Your whole point of this thread is that regular season NBA talk is interesting. I completely debunked that and you retort with talk about the ratings for The Finals.

You referenced the Finals. Again if people feel the way that you say they feel then why are regular season ratings up as well?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
if NBA talk moved the meter Goff would still be paired with Bernstein.... NFL is king, NBA a distance second, sorry youyr in the minority who crave national NBA talk... i'd rather listen to national NFL talk as long as it pertains to major news (star players, draft related etc.). i personally dont give a shit about regular season NBA because it's so meaningless... you know before the season who has a chance to win the title... the regular season is a bore... to the fans and the players. But the NBA finals and conference finals? that's must watch TV. elite basketball, everyone is trying... it's awesome and has been the last few years.

Last edited by billypootons on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
You referenced the Finals.
After you brought it up;
long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:
Again if people feel the way that you say they feel then why are regular season ratings up as well?
Show me where an NBA regular season game has higher ratings when it is up against any NFL game. The NFL Combine probably got better ratings than MANY NBA games.

long time guy wrote:
When you get down to it the NBA is the 2nd most popular sport in this country.
And the NBA is second to, what league again?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am 

billypootons wrote:
if NBA talk moved the meter Goff would still be paired with Bernstein.... NFL is king, NBA a distance second, sorry youyr in the minority who crave national NBA talk... i'd rather listen to national NFL talk as long as it pertains to major news (star players, draft related etc.).

I'm good with NFL talk as long as it is in season. 5 months out hell no. There is absolutely no reason to run an NFL centric sports show when that particular sport is 5 months out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
You referenced the Finals.
After you brought it up;
long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:
Again if people feel the way that you say they feel then why are regular season ratings up as well?
Show me where an NBA regular season game has higher ratings when it is up against any NFL game. The NFL Combine probably got better ratings than MANY NBA games.

long time guy wrote:

I'm certain it draws higher ratings in March.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
long time guy wrote:
billypootons wrote:
if NBA talk moved the meter Goff would still be paired with Bernstein.... NFL is king, NBA a distance second, sorry youyr in the minority who crave national NBA talk... i'd rather listen to national NFL talk as long as it pertains to major news (star players, draft related etc.).

I'm good with NFL talk as long as it is in season. 5 months out hell no. There is absolutely no reason to run an NFL centric sports show when that particular sport is 5 months out.
i gotta tap out, i cant win an argument with someone who cant comprehend that NFL in this country is still >>>>>>>>>> all other sports leagues...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Show me where an NBA regular season game has higher ratings when it is up against any NFL game.

Quote:
long time guy wrote:
Ball is in your court, LTG.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Its not basketball as much as its Pro Basketball. College is fine but the thought that there might be black millionaires out there appears to be too much for some apparently.

:lol: Fucking knew it.

Its no doubt as to how you "fucking knew it" either.

Because I'm not an idiot, and you're not nearly as clever as you think you are.

Let the record show who had this pegged from jump street:

long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
That we're racist against woke bae league.

Let the record show which person (overly concerned with race apparently) was the first to reference race.

I never attempted to be clever. What i demonstrated clearly is that this line of thinking isn't exclusive to me. I read the other threads. Basketball for a large number of people here is persona non grata. NBA speaking wise it is hated by some. Of the 3 major sports it is by far the one most targeted.

The Goff show was bashed continuously for discussing it.

Ponder that for a second. A sports show in the 3rd largest market is bashed for daring to discuss a sport that is the 2nd most popular in the country.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Show me where an NBA regular season game has higher ratings when it is up against any NFL game.

Quote:
long time guy wrote:
Ball is in your court, LTG.

Out of Season. That is what is being negated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

Answer the question, LTG.

long time guy wrote:
Ponder that for a second. A sports show in the 3rd largest market is bashed for daring to discuss a sport that is the 2nd most popular in the country.
I ask again, what is the most popular professional sports league in the country?

Ponder That for a second. A sports show in the 3rd largest market is talking about the most popular sports league in the country in the middle of its free agency period and just a few weeks before the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:35 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

long time guy wrote:
I ask again, what is the most popular professional sports league in the country?

Ponder That for a second. A sports show in the 3rd largest market is talking about the most popular sports league in the country in the middle of its free agency period and just a few weeks before the draft.

I doubt that it is the more popular sport in March.

If you don't think that part of the reason for sports talk in Chicago not growing isn't related to this then you aren't paying attention.

I listened to the Score from the very first day 01/02/92 that it aired. I followed it when it was 1160,820, and now 670.

They have always run a Bears centric operation. Little Cub/Sox banter mixed in but heavy on the Bear. Rarely if ever discussed Bulls.

I stopped listening because i tired of it. I'd call the shows too. I supported the station.

This city isn't there anymore and neither is the country. If they want to grow their audience then they have to provide a product that is reflective of the city and the country. Blacks in Chicago listen to the radio too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Stop. I am asking you a simple question. What is the most popular professional sports league in America today? Answer it or you might as well stop posting in this thread.

As far as the rest of that post, nobody cares.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

long time guy wrote:

If you don't think that part of the reason for sports talk in Chicago not growing isn't related to this then you aren't paying attention.

I listened to the Score from the very first day 01/02/92 that it aired. I followed it when it was 1160,820, and now 670.

They have always run a Bears centric operation. Little Cub/Sox banter mixed in but heavy on the Bear. Rarely if ever discussed Bulls.

I stopped listening because i tired of it. I'd call the shows too. I supported the station.

This city isn't there anymore and neither is the country. If they want to grow their audience then they have to provide a product that is reflective of the city and the country. Blacks in Chicago listen to the radio too.

Yep. There was no racial angle in mind when this thread was created.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
long time guy wrote:

Boers and Bernstein were a Bulls-intensive show for many years

Quote:

Pretty sure black folks still watch the NFL. Again, this idea that the NBA reigns supreme in America isn't real.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Stop. I am asking you a simple question. What is the most popular professional sports league in America today? Answer it or you might as well stop posting in this thread.

As far as the rest of that post, nobody cares.

With all due respect or not you sound stupid. This isn't about whether Football or Basketball is more popular. Football is but i doubt that it is more popular in March.

No one cares about the Bears or the NFL in March. I checked the NFL thread on here and it had been nearly 3 weeks since anyone on here had bothered to comment in it. Bears thread yeah NFL no.

As far as this country goes ESPN ratings would tank right now if they stopped talking Lebron James and NBA.

In terms of endorsements NBA guys dwarf NFL guys.

Globally NBA kills the NFL also.

Demo young NBA kills them also. You and others can continue to cling to the old model if you like. The country isn't.

Also if the NFL is such the king in the off season then why did Mannelley quit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Boers and Bernstein were a Bulls-intensive show for many years

Quote:

Pretty sure black folks still watch the NFL. Again, this idea that the NBA reigns supreme in America isn't real.

It is funny how often OFFSEASON part is ignored. Maybe its because it can't be supported.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

long time guy wrote:

Yep. There was no racial angle in mind when this thread was created.

Again its fine as long as the racial angle is discussed on your terms isn't it?

I'm not allowed to infer what the racial angle might be when it comes to all the NBA bashing but you and others are apparently? Is that what i'm supposed to get from all this?

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Maybe we need a specific Young Black Sports Talk format to adequately address the NBA needs of the market. They can be like "LeBron's stat lines got me feelin' like...like, uh, okay, imagine a picture of Arthur the Aardvark here." Actually, there's a lot of overlap with the Julie DiCaro bit here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next