It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: DANNY MAC IS BACK!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:22 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Coming up with a topic and having callers call in and share their thoughts can be entertaining radio. I also enjoyed the B&B bit where they shit on dumb callers. It was initially entertaining because it seemed like the callers were in on it. That's what good producers get you.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Nas wrote:
Coming up with a topic and having callers call in and share their thoughts can be entertaining radio. I also enjoyed the B&B bit where they shit on dumb callers. It was initially entertaining because it seemed like the callers were in on it. That's what good producers get you.

Yep. It gives a good host an opportunity to work off of someone else.

If you want to pontificate on your own for 4 hours, start a podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
IMO hosts who don't want to take calls don't take them because they don't like having their opinions challenged and/or are simply not able to back them up. Parkins is an example of that, and his national show was not good.

If you can get past his voice, which sounds like a combination of Rosemarie and Donald Duck, Jody MacDonald (Jody Mac) does a pretty solid national show on CBS that airs here on Saturday and Sunday evening. Sometimes it seems like he's on from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM or later, but that can't be right. Anyway, he takes a lot of calls and while they are certainly not all winners he keeps the show moving along pretty well. A good producer can screen out the really bad calls and a good host can cut a bad call short without acting a jagoff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Tad Queasy wrote:
IMO hosts who don't want to take calls don't take them because they don't like having their opinions challenged and/or are simply not able to back them up. Parkins is an example of that, and his national show was not good.

100% correct on everything there. Parkins is the poster child for guys who’d be more interesting if they occasionally shut the fuck up.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tad Queasy wrote:

If you can get past his voice, which sounds like a combination of Rosemarie and Donald Duck, Jody MacDonald (Jody Mac) does a pretty solid national show on CBS that airs here on Saturday and Sunday evening. Sometimes it seems like he's on from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM or later, but that can't be right. Anyway, he takes a lot of calls and while they are certainly not all winners he keeps the show moving along pretty well. A good producer can screen out the really bad calls and a good host can cut a bad call short without acting a jagoff.

It would be fun to listen to callers who could actually seriously challenge Parkins. The problem is, 19 out of 20 callers that challenge Parkins will lose. One, he's probably thought through his arguments more than the callers have and will anticipate their arguments. Two, if they do get close to actually defeating him, he will dump them or mute them. The only talk radio host that I've heard who would actually give contrarian callers space and didn't seem to mind it too terribly if they scored some points off of him was Michael Medved, and I don't think he's on the air in Chicago any longer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
No one is interesting enough to talk to themselves for 3 hours a day. NO ONE! Only dickheads like Parkins think they are.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Was JodyMac Goff's original partner in Atlanta?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
They used to call running off the caller giving them the WGN shuffle. They just disappear unnoticed while the host speaks.

Haha, yep, pot 'em down and give 'em a pajamagram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:37 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

No wait but John. John. John. Johnjohnjohnjohnjohn. John. John. Can I get a word in, John? John. John. Let me talk. You talk, and then I talk. It's called "having a conversation." Maybe you've heard of it.

[no further conversation happens]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
They used to call running off the caller giving them the WGN shuffle. They just disappear unnoticed while the host speaks.

Haha, yep, pot 'em down and give 'em a pajamagram

Jiggs is a Barry White way would put them on hold.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yep. It gives a good host an opportunity to work off of someone else.

If you want to pontificate on your own for 4 hours, start a podcast.

Just because you're not interested in hearing callers doesn't mean you want a solo host for 4 hours. I've never cared for Bernstein or Parkins when they were solo. Dan Patrick could pull it off but that is because he had a half dozen producers that talked often. Parkins and Spiegel with Shane and Tannehill chiming in is a good mix. Now add in a couple guests and you've got yourself a show.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:58 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:

Agreed. I like him as well, especially for a national show. He doesn't have that anesthetized sound of most national shows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:02 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
To those who think Mac is wrong on his opinion concerning the merits of taking callers, why do you think he formulated that opinion? Do you think he's being lazy? Do you think he's become less tolerant of different viewpoints? Do you think he's slowed down mentally? Do you think he's just arrogant?

I happen to agree with him. I don't listen to sports radio for the rambling calls or to hear the hosts make fun of a caller or laugh with one. I suspect there's a reason why very few hosts take calls and it's the reason that Mac gave and not one of the reasons listed above.

Stern show has deteriorated as well since they went to Sirius and don't have random angry/crazy callers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I have little interest in hearing Danny Mac on his own, but with Terry, I might listen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I have little interest in hearing Danny Mac on his own, but with Terry, I might listen

Isn't Terry on his death bed? The last picture I saw of him, he looked very ill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
blackhawksfan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Isn't Terry on his death bed? The last picture I saw of him, he looked very ill.

He’s had the appearance of a guy on his deathbed for the past couple decades.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:39 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He’s had the appearance of a guy on his deathbed for the past couple decades.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:50 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
That's a lot of sponsorship for a 2 hour show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Do not think guys like Parkins can do a local sports talk show that incorporates callers with different points of view because he is doing the type of bland national sports talk show you hear when stations go to national programming on the weekends. Odd because they could create the type of hyper local original content which would differentiate them from everyone else without much effort. The thinking fans station is really a dumbing down of discourse because the interactions are severely limited to discussions between hosts, producers, and hand picked "experts" who are selected only because they share the exact same take as the hosts. It makes for incredibly boring radio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Clawmaster wrote:
Do not think guys like Parkins can do a local sports talk show that incorporates callers with different points of view because he is doing the type of bland national sports talk show you hear when stations go to national programming on the weekends. Odd because they could create the type of hyper local original content which would differentiate them from everyone else without much effort. The thinking fans station is really a dumbing down of discourse because the interactions are severely limited to discussions between hosts, producers, and hand picked "experts" who are selected only because they share the exact same take as the hosts. It makes for incredibly boring radio.

The national "experts" are basically Audacy staff who spend their day going from station to station around the country spouting the same take over and over. And it's out he'd that we don't hear them anywhere else because they are exclusive to Audacy, not because they suck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
blackhawksfan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I still love Uncle Terry.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
That's a lot of sponsorship for a 2 hour show.

Mac counting some cash then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:04 pm 

If Terry and Mac had any work ethic they could put together a cool podcast/YouTube stream and make some pocket change reconnecting with their former fan base. I see random people on YouTube who live stream and get crazy donations every day. Have something like "Sunday's with Terry and Mac" talking football.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:11 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:

The wrong half of Spiegel & Parkins got taken off the lineup when deCastro changed everything around, I've been thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

No wait but John. John. John. Johnjohnjohnjohnjohn. John. John. Can I get a word in, John? John. John. Let me talk. You talk, and then I talk. It's called "having a conversation." Maybe you've heard of it.

[no further conversation happens]

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
blackhawksfan wrote:
If Terry and Mac had any work ethic they could put together a cool podcast/YouTube stream and make some pocket change reconnecting with their former fan base. I see random people on YouTube who live stream and get crazy donations every day. Have something like "Sunday's with Terry and Mac" talking football.

Huge demo out there, plenty of guys over 40 that would be interested. Bernstein has somehow managed to stay employed by pandering to the SJW crowd, it's almost as if he cannot do a regular sports talk show anymore because he feels the need to continue to stroke the woke crowd by injecting politics into everything. Mac and Uncle Terry could still do an hour or two a week where they give you honest takes on sports. Still can get a unique take from Uncle Terry, especially on baseball, and Mac can give you an honest thought on the Bears.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

The wrong half of Spiegel & Parkins got taken off the lineup when deCastro changed everything around, I've been thinking.

Parkins is boring and stale, but that's exactly what sports radio wants. If 670 was smart, they would've been trying to poach the RLR crew 3-4 years ago before Barstool took them full time. If they had an afternoon drive slot, they'd be a younger version of MJ&H. Too late for that as the ship has sailed for them to even think about working in traditional media.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Traditional media means never taking the opposite take of the popular or “correct” position on ______. The closest anyone comes in Chicago sports media is Jurko of all people . Swap out any host with any other on 670 and the opinions are the same no matter whose show it is. Why would you ever want to work in that environment of corporate media anymore? Where your opinions have to be sanitized to fit the narrative.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:43 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Parkins is boring and stale, but that's exactly what sports radio wants. If 670 was smart, they would've been trying to poach the RLR crew 3-4 years ago before Barstool took them full time. If they had an afternoon drive slot, they'd be a younger version of MJ&H. Too late for that as the ship has sailed for them to even think about working in traditional media.

Those type of guys are available if the Score chose to look.

I've written several times that Mitch used Score Search to find the next Bernstein when he should have been using it to find the next North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The next Mike North won’t be tolerated on mainstream radio here.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next