It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 1/17 Parky's Revenge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

The new guy reads the board 'everyone was saying, "you're so caffeinated!", but I hadn't eaten a thing all day!'. I'm still convinced the guy with 4 posts is really him (joined last week, 4 total posts, all about the new guy)

I feel like he could be funny among normal people, but he's breaking in with a bunch of Soap Opera characters around him, that place is probably a mess behind the scenes. I feel some hesitancy from Matt. It could just be awkwardness, or it could be some group feeling of bitterness of welcoming the new guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
I think the awkwardness sounds like voice difference and timing to me more than subject matter or points of view. Maybe time can fix that. I still find in unbelievable that they only spoke for the first time the day before the first show. At a minimum the team thought towards modern job interviews would have called for a meeting of them during the decision process.

I've heard Spiegs a few times passive-aggressively chastise Parkins for things that he should be able to cover for, whether that's not getting to a point fast enough (I've heard one or two "I don't know where you're going with this...") or not talking about something he previously teased ("I feel like you teased that but you're not really talking about it").

Spiegel is enough of a pro that he should be able to recognize where those things are coming from and gloss over them to present a seamless show to the listener, but instead he blurts out criticisms of his new partner on the air. It's not to make a joke, or some larger point, it's just to critique the guy in his brand new job in front of a bunch of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The half time of the Super Bowl sex stuff was hilarious. These guys are already developing a great rapport. I'll be listening daily!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am 
1000 CLUB

"and Parkins show" always sounds a little too much like "Parkinsons" to me at first

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I think the awkwardness sounds like voice difference and timing to me more than subject matter or points of view. Maybe time can fix that. I still find in unbelievable that they only spoke for the first time the day before the first show. At a minimum the team thought towards modern job interviews would have called for a meeting of them during the decision process.

I've heard Spiegs a few times passive-aggressively chastise Parkins for things that he should be able to cover for, whether that's not getting to a point fast enough (I've heard one or two "I don't know where you're going with this...") or not talking about something he previously teased ("I feel like you teased that but you're not really talking about it").

Spiegel is enough of a pro that he should be able to recognize where those things are coming from and gloss over them to present a seamless show to the listener, but instead he blurts out criticisms of his new partner on the air. It's not to make a joke, or some larger point, it's just to critique the guy in his brand new job in front of a bunch of people.

I noticed the "don't know where you're going with this" too. It could just be 'new combo awkwardness' but it also just sounds like Matt being a jerk. Like yesterday, Spiegal shit all over that segment 'The Hits', and I found out from Twitter that's a segment Parkins took from KC. Today Parkins leads off with MLB stathead stuff re: the hall of fame and Spiegal sounds bored, you of all people Spiegel?

Feel a little bad for Parkins, they're going to try and turn him into a miserable bastage. And now he's talking a bit of politics and I feel less bad for him. Giving this show a chance since it's new but not impressed so far.

Last edited by torch! on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:48 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Spiegs is 12 years older than Danny boy. Who thought having a huge age gap was a good idea? George McCaskey?

That cannot be true. That would make Matt pushing 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think Spiegs is 44 so Danny is 32 math genius.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am 

good dolphin wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Spiegs is 12 years older than Danny boy. Who thought having a huge age gap was a good idea? George McCaskey?

That cannot be true. That would make Matt pushing 60

Wrong Danny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Danny's
Just heard Speigs getting shitty with Parky again. Speigs calling him out for asking Matt Bowen about taking the over/under for GB vs ATL. I mean what's he bitching about? It definitely seems like they don't get along & considering I've heard Meatpants getting testy with almost every person he comes into contact with I'm not surprised. What a dickhead!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Is there a station mandate to not talk as openly about sports gambling as much as other sports stations might? I know other stations in other markets have entire segments devoted to it (Parkins had a segment on it on his old show in KC), but despite Spiegel, Rozner, and Terry being avid gamblers and sports bettors, there hasn't been much of that kind of talk leaking on air.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm 

It's not like the station is taking bets so I just don't get Speigel's indignation about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
speigs is 46 said the other day

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Is there a station mandate to not talk as openly about sports gambling as much as other sports stations might? I know other stations in other markets have entire segments devoted to it (Parkins had a segment on it on his old show in KC), but despite Spiegel, Rozner, and Terry being avid gamblers and sports bettors, there hasn't been much of that kind of talk leaking on air.

No. Joe Ostrowski is a gambler. That son of a bitch bets on everything and is proud to talk about it. He did a fantasy show on Sundays for the NFL season. Dan McNeil talked point spreads all of the time when he was on the SCORE. He's a big time gambler as well.

Bernstein frowns upon gambling and fantasy. So his show never discusses it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
I seem to recall Monday afternoon during football season every other ad heard on the score was for some jamokes 1-800 number to get free info on the Monday night game spread and o/u

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Last year Drinky did Draftking ads. Then both draftkings and fanduel stopped the constant ads for both radio and for this season. It was said they lost money last year. But they got the word out. Thus they cut back on paying for ads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Whispering Eye wrote:
Just heard Speigs getting shitty with Parky again

how much do i carbon-date myself if i admit that reading this has me going "getting shitty wit' it! na na na na na na, na na na na (gettin shitty with it!)" all big willie style?

seriously, i'm probably old enough to have grandkids who think that song sucks =P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spiegs sounds happiest during transition. The guys talk about their personal lives and inside jokes and the new guy feels left out (and Matt does nothing to try and bring him into the convo). Spiegs sounds bitter about losing Goff oddly enough

Kind of interesting how art imitates life. They mock the athlete's personal lives but some of them are a trainwreck behind the scenes. They mock Durant and Westbrook and tell them to get over it, while Spiegal acts like a baby about a partner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm 

That seems to answer my question "why does Speigel sound like such a jagbag towards Parky?" He's bitter about losing Goff. He had a good thing going & he didn't have to think much or put effort into the show cuz Goff ran it. Now he's gotta have more responsibility & he doesn't know how the new guy works. He probably has to cut back on the scotch at night now & that's a real bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 pm 

Gettin shitty wid it! Now you got that fuckin song in my head. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6