It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1/17 Parky's Revenge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Definitely a yucky radio guy. But at least he can speak English and is coherent.

Yeah, lay off the coffee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I imagine some nerves today for him.

So far..not awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So this guy is basically BBQ Bernstein?

Transition topic: "(sigh) while acknowledging that it is, in some sense, astonishing that we can even talk about the distinctions between Kansas City barbecue and Piedmont barbecue, that awareness of American folk gastronomy has come. that. far., talking about the...the primacy of Kansas City barbecue carries (sigh) unfortunate implications that I'd rather not broach."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So this guy is basically BBQ Bernstein?

Transition topic: "(sigh) while acknowledging that it is, in some sense, astonishing that we can even talk about the distinctions between Kansas City barbecue and Piedmont barbecue, that awareness of American folk gastronomy has come. that. far., talking about the...the primacy of Kansas City barbecue carries (sigh) unfortunate implications that I'd rather not broach."
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
CH needs a fake twitter account for the 200 people that would "get it" - no not in the Larry way. .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Jeez, continuing on his "it's absurd to question Joe Maddon, still, BECAUSE THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP!" rant. Classic Bernstein. This is like when archaeologists discover the same cave paintings on different continents.

I don't know where I stand on this, I go back and forth between agreeing with this POV and thinking its beyond idiotic.

Maddon pissed me off thoroughly in games 6 and 7. They won game 7 in spite of his moves. Its like if my friend was driving me to work and we took the long way there and he got lost and then we got in a minor accident and he ran over a dog and I was 2 hours late. It isn't unreasonable of me to question my friend despite the fact that he got me to work.

My counter point is simply...2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I just feel bad for Julie having to do updates on a show in which a co-hosting job went to a privileged white male.

Wait, isn't she a self-proclaimed voice for women and people if color who have been passed over in these exact situations?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Hatchetman wrote:
CH needs a fake twitter account for the 200 people that would "get it" - no not in the Larry way. .

I have one, I'm just too lazy to build a good twitter parody from the ground up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jeez, continuing on his "it's absurd to question Joe Maddon, still, BECAUSE THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP!" rant. Classic Bernstein. This is like when archaeologists discover the same cave paintings on different continents.

I don't know where I stand on this, I go back and forth between agreeing with this POV and thinking its beyond idiotic.

Maddon pissed me off thoroughly in games 6 and 7. They won game 7 in spite of his moves. Its like if my friend was driving me to work and we took the long way there and he got lost and then we got in a minor accident and he ran over a dog and I was 2 hours late. It isn't unreasonable of me to question my friend despite the fact that he got me to work.

I explain it to folks like this- When the Cubs ended up winning game 7, I felt more relief than joy. I thought it would be one of the most exciting experiences, but that game ended up being gut wrenching. And it was that way because I was sure they had the game with that large early lead, and then shocked at how they pissed it away with dumb moves. I will never apologize for my gut feelings, and in this case it was relief.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am 

Hub sounds sedated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
denisdman wrote:
I explain it to folks like this- When the Cubs ended up winning game 7, I felt more relief than joy. I thought it would be one of the most exciting experiences, but that game ended up being gut wrenching. And it was that way because I was sure they had the game with that large early lead, and then shocked at how they pissed it away with dumb moves. I will never apologize for my gut feelings, and in this case it was relief.

Exactly. I don't know how people, especially Cub fans, don't get this. BUT DON'T QUESTION MADDON !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
McDude wrote:
Hub sounds sedated

He definitely does. Maybe he just got done doing his 900 pushups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Maddon has shown throughout his baseball coaching life that he is a process oriented guy. Now, when the process comes into question, and deservedly so, he switches to a goal oriented guy and all of his sychophants follow suit.

It is absolutely valid to question the process of a guy, and a team really, that have prided themselves on the primacy of process and the exceptionalism of THEIR specific process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am 

McDude wrote:
Hub sounds sedated

Very early onset of Parkinsons type D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Tad Queasy wrote:
McDude wrote:
Hub sounds sedated

His voice actually sounds different. I wouldn't even know it was him. Maybe he's been under the weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:14 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
[

Maddon pissed me off thoroughly in games 6 and 7. They won game 7 in spite of his moves. Its like if my friend was driving me to work and we took the long way there and he got lost and then we got in a minor accident and he ran over a dog and I was 2 hours late. It isn't unreasonable of me to question my friend despite the fact that he got me to work..

a very good description for why managers in baseball don't matter. Those who buy into The Amazing Joe, Magician and Zookeeper, could never accept this truth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Maddon has shown throughout his baseball coaching life that he is a process oriented guy. Now, when the process comes into question, and deservedly so, he switches to a goal oriented guy and all of his sychophants follow suit.

It is absolutely valid to question the process of a guy, and a team really, that have prided themselves on the primacy of process and the exceptionalism of THEIR specific process.

Very well said. I am happy as hell that they won, but it doesn't obscure the fact that these really smart guys made terrible decisions in games 6 & 7.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am 

So so listen. I'll give it until Friday, but I'm slowly leaning towards another Spiegel trainwrek.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Peoria Matt wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Exactly. I don't know how people, especially Cub fans, don't get this. BUT DON'T QUESTION MADDON !!!!

This and the "Jake was 18-8 last year, with a good era and whip, he didn't struggle at all and the Cubs won!!" are two viewpoints I just don't understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

For the Cubs, it doesn't really matter at all. For Maddon, you have to question whether he was actually a limiting factor for all of those really good Tampa Bay teams that didn't win in the playoffs. It is funny that I haven't heard "best manager in baseball" since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
He sounds like he's doing an imitation of a sports talk guy :|

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
McDude wrote:
Hub sounds sedated

His voice actually sounds different. I wouldn't even know it was him. Maybe he's been under the weather.

Think he's pissed at talking to the dope from KC. Hub was a Terry guy, and much like Terry, he's probably pissed that Drinky got passed up for the open slot. This was probably Hub's version of a protest.

I wanna call him Danny Partridge

denisdman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Very well said. I am happy as hell that they won, but it doesn't obscure the fact that these really smart guys made terrible decisions in games 6 & 7.

I'd respect Maddon more if he just came clean and said he fucked up, he will learn from it and he doesn't care because they won in spite of the mistakes. Instead, he says that his moves were correct because they won.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

For the Cubs, it doesn't really matter at all. For Maddon, you have to question whether he was actually a limiting factor for all of those really good Tampa Bay teams that didn't win in the playoffs. It is funny that I haven't heard "best manager in baseball" since.

It just shows that managers are discussed far, far more than they should be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
managers don't matter except for when they do. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
schmitty1121 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
McDude wrote:
Hub sounds sedated

Think he's pissed at talking to the dope from KC. Hub was a Terry guy, and much like Terry, he's probably pissed that Drinky got passed up for the open slot. This was probably Hub's version of a protest.
He sounded the same yesterday afternoon as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'd respect Maddon more if he just came clean and said he fucked up, he will learn from it and he doesn't care because they won in spite of the mistakes. Instead, he says that his moves were correct because they won.

This has been my position as well. Recognize and acknowledge that in the heat of the moment you went off script and thankfully, the Cubbies still won.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am 

Hub is just sad that his pick of Kansas City to win the Super Bowl 6 years early didn't pay off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Awful. He was way more reserved when he filled in at ESPN over the holidays.

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Parkinspiegel

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next