It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
There's a difference between winning games and making money for them. My guess is that signing Kaepernick won't affect their bottom line at all. This is where I will go back to the Greg Hardy comparison, even though he's clearly a terrible human being and Kaep doesn't seem like he is. Hardy is proof that the NFL isn't a meritocracy based on talent, which is what MANY seem to believe.

Except Dallas brought Hardy back, and he was a pain in the ass and not that productive. If he was a dominant Pro Bowler they would probably put up with him.

6 sacks, a FF, and a INT in 12 games isn't bad at all. It certainly suggests there is enough talent to be a starting player in the league, as does his 40 sacks in 75 career games. Him being a pain in the ass isn't really relevant if we are discussing if the NFL is a meritocracy.

It's not bad, but if you are being disruptive and not listening to coaches then stats alone aren't going to save you. The merit in the NFL is wins, and if teams think that you are so disruptive that it outweighs your talent then you are not going to be signed. Additionally, Hardy is seen as a someone who is not reliable and likely to be suspended or in trouble. I don't think that it's an apt comparison.

I don't disagree with any of that, but all you are doing is reinforcing my statement that the NFL is not a meritocracy. As I said, many people seem to think it is.

Your merit is does this guy help you win. In Hardy's case it appears to be no.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

:lol:

That isn't true and it's a pretty amusing response.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:22 am 

FavreFan wrote:

And your evidence is because you say so? The coach thought he was disruptive, and he underperformed.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas- ... nt-outcast

Quote:
Hardy was a different player from that point forward. The defensive end who collected three sacks, forced a fumble and grabbed an interception in his first three games had just three sacks and no turnovers in his final nine games with the Cowboys. A player credited with five quarterback hurries twice in his first three games failed to reach that number again in any game for the remainder of the season.

Again not sure how Greg Hardy proves that Kaepernick is being blackballed.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FavreFan wrote:

And your evidence is because you say so? The coach thought he was disruptive, and he underperformed.

Quote:
Hardy was a different player from that point forward. The defensive end who collected three sacks, forced a fumble and grabbed an interception in his first three games had just three sacks and no turnovers in his final nine games with the Cowboys. A player credited with five quarterback hurries twice in his first three games failed to reach that number again in any game for the remainder of the season.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally or unintentionally misconstruing what I am saying.

I never said my evidence is because I say so. I posted stats to back up my case. Unless we sit down together and review All-22 film, there's not much else I can do.

Also, I said Greg Hardy's situation is proof that the NFL is not a meritocracy based on talent. He is clearly more talented than Kaep is at their respective positions, and clearly talented enough to make a NFL roster. The reason he isn't on one is because he was a pain in the ass, disruptive, distraction, whatever. That's my point, and you aren't refuting it but agreeing with it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure if you're intentionally or unintentionally misconstruing what I am saying.

I never said my evidence is because I say so. I posted stats to back up my case. Unless we sit down together and review All-22 film, there's not much else I can do.

Also, I said Greg Hardy's situation is proof that the NFL is not a meritocracy based on talent. He is clearly more talented than Kaep is at their respective positions, and clearly talented enough to make a NFL roster. The reason he isn't on one is because he was a pain in the ass, disruptive, distraction, whatever. That's my point, and you aren't refuting it but agreeing with it.

That's the way modern analysis has caused us to look at sports, particularly baseball, though. Like on-field performance, i.e. "numbers", is a full measuring stick and the way a player fits on a team is immaterial.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Quote:

That's the way modern analysis has caused us to look at sports, particularly baseball, though. Like on-field performance, i.e. "numbers", is a full measuring stick and the way a player fits on a team is immaterial.

FF is defining merit in another way than how NFL teams define it. His performance was awful for the last part of the season, and he was disruptive to the point that he was not helping the team. Talent doesn't matter if it's not producing results.

The Missing Link wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5