It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Chris Kluwe was a fucking punter, and he got run out of the league for being outspoken on social issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
You can speak your mind or you can punt to Devin Hester, you can't do both.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
He's become a hero to some for a protest so pathetic that it ended as soon as he became a free agent. So he protested the US government with Obama in office, and dropped it when Trump became president.

As for his skills at quarterback, if anyone watched him during the Bears game last season there would be no question. He literally quit during it. I've never seen a worst performance from a NFL quarterback, and that's saying something considering I've watched the Bears.

Maybe teams are shying away from him because of the protest, but I doubt it. They are happy to sign wife beaters and drug addicts, but his protest scares them off? If people thought he could play they would sign him. The DiCaro types are out of control on him:

https://theundefeated.com/features/coli ... from-what/

There was nothing out of control about that column.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Kaepernick is a free agent because he sucks. He is demanding $9-10MM and a starter role to sign. He isn't worth that. The only success he ever had in the NFL is probably attributable to Harbaugh and not him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Kaepernick is a free agent because he sucks. He is demanding $9-10MM and a starter role to sign. He isn't worth that. The only success he ever had in the NFL is probably attributable to Harbaugh and not him.

I bet his dumbass regrets opting out and passing up 14 million this year, I don't blame teams for taking a pass on him, he's become a distraction and nobody wants a distraction in their locker room.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Kaep will be waiting for the Romo and Cutler dominoes to fall before he gets signed. They are both better than he is. Further, teams probably view him as a marginal starter to back up QB at this point which means he may need to wait until after the draft to see if teams draft a QB before he finds a team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
He's better than Cutty, he's better than Buttfumble and a bunch of other guys too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Kluwe was a fucking punter

Original title for 'Jerry Was a Race Car Driver'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 pm 

312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I bet his dumbass regrets opting out and passing up 14 million this year, I don't blame teams for taking a pass on him, he's become a distraction and nobody wants a distraction in their locker room.

Yeah, the idea that NFL teams will sign anybody just isn't true any longer. If talent was all that mattered, Greg Hardy would be on a NFL roster right now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Yeah, the idea that NFL teams will sign anybody just isn't true any longer. If talent was all that mattered, Greg Hardy would be on a NFL roster right now.

If your play outweighs your baggage then yes they will sign you. However, if you are just barely worthy of playing and haven't had success since your last coach left, then no you won't be sticking around. I think most of his success was Jim Harbaugh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

If your play outweighs your baggage then yes they will sign you. However, if you are just barely worthy of playing and haven't had success since your last coach left, then no you won't be sticking around. I think most of his success was Jim Harbaugh.

I don't think Greg Hardy forgot how to play football in the last three years. He has considerable talent.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:34 am 

FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

but he was after some horrific actions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:34 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I don't think Greg Hardy forgot how to play football in the last three years. He has considerable talent.

You can't impact a game while on suspension

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
jay cutler is a way better QB. WAAAYYY better. And Jay Cutler sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 am 

FavreFan wrote:
He's become a hero to some for a protest so pathetic that it ended as soon as he became a free agent. So he protested the US government with Obama in office, and dropped it when Trump became president.

As for his skills at quarterback, if anyone watched him during the Bears game last season there would be no question. He literally quit during it. I've never seen a worst performance from a NFL quarterback, and that's saying something considering I've watched the Bears.

Maybe teams are shying away from him because of the protest, but I doubt it. They are happy to sign wife beaters and drug addicts, but his protest scares them off? If people thought he could play they would sign him. The DiCaro types are out of control on him:

It's jargon-filled speculation that blames racism for Kaepernick not having a job. It's Bill O'Reilly war on Christmas style red meat for the other side.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:

It's jargon-filled speculation that blames racism for Kaepernick not having a job. It's Bill O'Reilly war on Christmas style red meat for the other side.

You have to excuse FF. Due to the many things that happened to him he has these issues on some subjects. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You have to excuse FF. Due to the many things that happened to him he has these issues on some subjects. :lol:

What issues? Looking at something objectively? I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Kaepernick is good enough to play in the NFL and is being blackballed because he will be perceived as a distraction. There are MANY worse QBs than him currently employed by the league.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

What issues? Looking at something objectively? I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Kaepernick is good enough to play in the NFL and is being blackballed because he will be perceived as a distraction. There are MANY worse QBs than him currently employed by the league.

You know I love to tweak you in a friendly manner and its Friday. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

First of all Kaepernick is no hero. He quit his protest as soon as it potentially could cost him money. Secondly, there are reports he wants $10 million per year. If that's the case he his pricing himself out of being a back-up.

I did not watch him last year other than the Bears game, and it was the worst performance I've ever seen from a quarterback. Everyone cites his statistics, and he got some decent numbers playing catch-up while his team lost every game he started. If he is willing to be a cheap back-up he will get a job somewhere.

If you want to believe that racism is the only reason he doesn't have a job in a league that is majority black then we are past the point where facts can persuade you.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Isn't he like an option QB or something? How many of those offenses exist?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 am 

First of all Kaepernick is no hero. He quit his protest as soon as it potentially could cost him money. Secondly, there are reports he wants $10 million per year. If that's the case he his pricing himself out of being a back-up.

I did not watch him last year other than the Bears game, and it was the worst performance I've ever seen from a quarterback. Everyone cites his statistics, and he got some decent numbers playing catch-up while his team lost every game he started. If he is willing to be a cheap back-up he will get a job somewhere.

If you want to believe that racism is the only reason he doesn't have a job in a league that is majority black then we are past the point where facts can persuade you.

First of all, we don't need to bring strawmans in here. Nobody is calling him a hero. I don't really put much stock into unconfirmed reports. I agree that if that is true then it's reasonable he is not signed yet. The discussion in this thread has centered around if he is even good enough to make a team as a backup or third stringer.

You guys are bringing racism up way more than I am here. It's fair to say that owners/GMs don't like his politics and think he will be a distraction and don't want him for those reasons even if he is better than their current backup. That's not the same as saying they are racist. You, Bob, mike, and others seem to want me to make this about race. I haven't mentioned race once in this entire thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 am 

FavreFan wrote:

First of all, we don't need to bring strawmans in here. Nobody is calling him a hero. I don't really put much stock into unconfirmed reports. I agree that if that is true then it's reasonable he is not signed yet. The discussion in this thread has centered around if he is even good enough to make a team as a backup or third stringer.

You guys are bringing racism up way more than I am here. It's fair to say that owners/GMs don't like his politics and think he will be a distraction and don't want him for those reasons even if he is better than their current backup. That's not the same as saying they are racist. You, Bob, mike, and others seem to want me to make this about race. I haven't mentioned race once in this entire thread.

First, I never discussed race in regards to him. I said he would be a good backup on the Steelers. Second, it is strawmen. Third, most here have said he should not be a starter and not that he can't be a backup. It was also said that it is no surprise that all the backups for next season have not been signed already. Lastly, he may not be signed as a backup because he is waiting for a better option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Bomani Jones brought in racism in the article you said was not over the top. It could be that some owners do not like Kaepernick, but I don't think that any of them are going to go against their self-interest if they thought he could win games and make money for them. And Kaepernick has been called a hero by many media cheerleaders.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:52 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Bomani Jones is brought in racism in the article you said was not over the top. It could be the some owners do not like Kaepernick, but I don't think that any of them are going to go against their self-interest if they thought he could win games and make money for them. And Kaepernick has been called a hero by many media cheerleaders.

There's a difference between winning games and making money for them. My guess is that signing Kaepernick won't affect their bottom line at all. This is where I will go back to the Greg Hardy comparison, even though he's clearly a terrible human being and Kaep doesn't seem like he is. Hardy is proof that the NFL isn't a meritocracy based on talent, which is what MANY seem to believe.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am 

FavreFan wrote:
There's a difference between winning games and making money for them. My guess is that signing Kaepernick won't affect their bottom line at all. This is where I will go back to the Greg Hardy comparison, even though he's clearly a terrible human being and Kaep doesn't seem like he is. Hardy is proof that the NFL isn't a meritocracy based on talent, which is what MANY seem to believe.

Except Dallas brought Hardy back, and he was a pain in the ass and not that productive. If he was a dominant Pro Bowler they would probably put up with him.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Except Dallas brought Hardy back, and he was a pain in the ass and not that productive. If he was a dominant Pro Bowler they would probably put up with him.

6 sacks, a FF, and a INT in 12 games isn't bad at all. It certainly suggests there is enough talent to be a starting player in the league, as does his 40 sacks in 75 career games. Him being a pain in the ass isn't really relevant if we are discussing if the NFL is a meritocracy.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 am 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

6 sacks, a FF, and a INT in 12 games isn't bad at all. It certainly suggests there is enough talent to be a starting player in the league, as does his 40 sacks in 75 career games. Him being a pain in the ass isn't really relevant if we are discussing if the NFL is a meritocracy.

That stat line looks like our very own Floyd.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Again, he doesn't have a job because teams would rather have Romo or Cutler as their QB, than him. He is #3 on the possible starter QB list. So, unless he just tells a team he will take $5M and a backup job, he would not have signed a contract by now.

The only person blackballing Kaep is Kaep's agent right now while he waits to get him the best deal he can.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not bad, but if you are being disruptive and not listening to coaches then stats alone aren't going to save you. The merit in the NFL is wins, and if teams think that you are so disruptive that it outweighs your talent then you are not going to be signed. Additionally, Hardy is seen as a someone who is not reliable and likely to be suspended or in trouble. I don't think that it's an apt comparison.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not bad, but if you are being disruptive and not listening to coaches then stats alone aren't going to save you. The merit in the NFL is wins, and if teams think that you are so disruptive that it outweighs your talent then you are not going to be signed. Additionally, Hardy is seen as a someone who is not reliable and likely to be suspended or in trouble. I don't think that it's an apt comparison.

I don't disagree with any of that, but all you are doing is reinforcing my statement that the NFL is not a meritocracy. As I said, many people seem to think it is.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next