It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Laurence will be in the hallway...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
So, during the third quarter of the first quarter of the show?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: billss
redskingreg wrote:
So, during the third quarter of the first quarter of the show?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Yeah buddy- that sound like some riveting radio I missed. I wonder if it's as good as that Minn coach. What was the point of that interview? Who the hell cares about University of Minnesota football?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
It actually was a pretty entertaining interview. Lovie laughed, which I had never heard before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yes Lovie was relaxed, funny and nice to Chicago.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 pm 

I've never quite gotten the Lovie bitter distaste many have for him. Certainly in light of what has followed in McCaskey land

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 pm 

You would have liked that Lovie and the guys had a little fun with how bad the Bears have been and he got canned after a 10 win season.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Lovie is the best HC the Bears have had since Halas. Nothing but fond memories of the man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:48 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I've never quite gotten the Lovie bitter distaste many have for him. Certainly in light of what has followed in McCaskey land

I look forward to the interview. Lovie became overly defensive and condescending in his later years. Fox is much more annoying. I don't ever want hear any press conference from him again. Too bad Trestman failed. He was interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 am 

DAC wrote:
Yeah buddy- that sound like some riveting radio I missed. I wonder if it's as good as that Minn coach. What was the point of that interview? Who the hell cares about University of Minnesota football?

Would it be bizarre if I raised my hand?

Look, it is the B10 cavalcade of coaches this week in Chicago. It is entirely appropriate to get any and all for the couple of days. I promise you the Atlanta station is wall to wall football the days of the SEC coaches pre season meetings.

I think there is a sizable college football fan base in this city. No station cultivates it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:

Overall, I agree. Lovie's teams always had speed, forced turnovers, and in years where the roster looked really questionable...they competed. I would also argue the same for Dick Jauron. As weird and entertaining is Dick Jauron was, those teams really overachieved.

After the SB appearance, it became clear that Lovie had more say in Personnel and we saw the addition of washed up zeros like Adam Artuletta.....not good. I also agree, after while he came as very smug, but he has company in that group.

Lovie as a coach clearly was not the problem....we've seen there are by far worse head coaching options and the organization was an absolutely CF. Honestly....Lovie > Trestman and Lovie > John Fox

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
DAC wrote:
Too bad Trestman failed. He was interesting.

Yeah, when he openly ripped Cutler on the first day of camp (this is not a symposium!"), I had high hopes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
America wrote:
Lovie is the best HC the Bears have had since Halas. Nothing but fond memories of the man.

Ditka > Lovie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:

Look, it is the B10 cavalcade of coaches this week in Chicago. It is entirely appropriate to get any and all for the couple of days. I promise you the Atlanta station is wall to wall football the days of the SEC coaches pre season meetings.

I think there is a sizable college football fan base in this city. No station cultivates it.

Minnesota football? Raise your hand if you're a Gophers fan.

And I don't care what Atlanta does. This is a pro town. If you liked it, wonderful. I turned it off. At least get a coach from Illinois.

I did enjoy the Lovie interview.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
312player wrote:
America wrote:

Ditka > Lovie

Not sure about that....any decent HC would have won more than 1 Super Bowl with that collection of talent.

Ditka proved to be a pretty lousy head coach.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I've defended Lovie for years, and I figured you had a 90% chance that each subsequent coach would be worse than Lovie. There are really only a few elite coaches, and Lovie was at the top of the rest. His teams had a very clear identity- get turnovers with a bend don't break defense and focus on special teams. Last year''s Bears had the fewest turnovers forced in team history. Quite the contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Recognized by his peers... they're just jealous of his plum job. I wonder if anything changes when he loses at home by 3 TD to Western Kentucky next month.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -football/

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

If there is (and I don't believe there really is), it's too diffuse to do anything with. U of I sucks, Northwestern is whatever, and 670 may have a more toxic relationship with Notre Dame than it does with the Blackhawks and that's saying a lot, so that eliminates the local-ish teams. Any attention on the rest of the Big Ten or god forbid the SEC/ACC/Pac alienates more people than it interests, especially when it's concurrent with DUH BEARS and there's this apparent appetite for infinite Bears coverage, no matter how useless they've been the last decade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
wdelaney72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Overall, I agree. Lovie's teams always had speed, forced turnovers, and in years where the roster looked really questionable...they competed. I would also argue the same for Dick Jauron. As weird and entertaining is Dick Jauron was, those teams really overachieved.

After the SB appearance, it became clear that Lovie had more say in Personnel and we saw the addition of washed up zeros like Adam Artuletta.....not good. I also agree, after while he came as very smug, but he has company in that group.

Lovie as a coach clearly was not the problem....we've seen there are by far worse head coaching options and the organization was an absolutely CF. Honestly....Lovie > Trestman and Lovie > John Fox

I've always been fans of Jauron's and Love's. They got the most out of what they had and they gave you hope. Nothing worse than watching football and you know your team doesn't have a chance

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If there is (and I don't believe there really is), it's too diffuse to do anything with. U of I sucks, Northwestern is whatever, and 670 may have a more toxic relationship with Notre Dame than it does with the Blackhawks and that's saying a lot, so that eliminates the local-ish teams. Any attention on the rest of the Big Ten or god forbid the SEC/ACC/Pac alienates more people than it interests, especially when it's concurrent with DUH BEARS and there's this apparent appetite for infinite Bears coverage, no matter how useless they've been the last decade.

I think you're spot on CH. As a guy who went to UIUC, there just isn't the loyalty to that school from suburban kids that say everyone in Wisconsin feels toward the Badgers. I am an ND fan, and most of my classmates either cheered for Michigan or ND. No one talked about UIUC. In that way, the fan base is diffuse. Northwestern was an absolute door mat so it never built a local following except among its rich alums. Chicago has no real college football teams.

Most people view UIUC as downstate when in fact it is central Illinois. And even central Illinois is too far south for people that have regional tastes. As such, they feel no connection to the Illini. I never went to one game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Even Wisconsin (at least in Milwaukee's orbit) doesn't really love Badger football with the sort of obsessive loyalty one associates with college sports. That's for the Packers. The best way I can put it is that they act as an appetizer for the main course: they're very popular and people want them to do well even if they don't follow the day-to-day minutiae, but ultimately they don't matter the way the Packers do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:

Minnesota football? Raise your hand if you're a Gophers fan.

I didn't hear it, but I'd guess they had him on more because he's a local guy than because of some high level of interest in Gopher football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think you're spot on CH. As a guy who went to UIUC, there just isn't the loyalty to that school from suburban kids that say everyone in Wisconsin feels toward the Badgers. I am an ND fan, and most of my classmates either cheered for Michigan or ND. No one talked about UIUC. In that way, the fan base is diffuse. Northwestern was an absolute door mat so it never built a local following except among its rich alums. Chicago has no real college football teams.

Most people view UIUC as downstate when in fact it is central Illinois. And even central Illinois is too far south for people that have regional tastes. As such, they feel no connection to the Illini. I never went to one game.

They were really good when I was down there and there was a buzz about them but it was just like a normal game at Notre Dame or not even as much interest as a down year for Ohio State.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Didn't you hate it there and get out quickly? Of course you feel that way. There are a lot of Chicagoans who live the illini.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 pm 

Nas wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I've always been fans of Jauron's and Love's. They got the most out of what they had and they gave you hope. Nothing worse than watching football and you know your team doesn't have a chance

You never know what you got until it is gone.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

"Downstate" is just the appellation for anything outside Chicagoland to a lot of people. I've heard Rockford referred to as downstate, which I object to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
"Downstate" is just the appellation for anything outside Chicagoland to a lot of people. I've heard Rockford referred to as downstate, which I object to.

:lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Curious Hair wrote:

I've had people who live further south than I do but live in the far south burbs refer to where I live as way down south.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:35 pm 

If UIUC was even remotely popular up here, you would see local athletes going there. For students, it is a settle school. It was exactly as Tom Cruise said in Risky Business. Very few have it as their first choice.

You rarely see people walking around in Illini gear.

I can't prove any of this. Simply my observations from living here my entire life and going there.