It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SJW Radio
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Start talking about Ezekiel Elliot with Florio. Turns in Kaepernick and then Michael Bennett. Takes a phone call from a cop, who says there was nothing wrong with the detainment.

Post subject: Re: SJW Radio
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Just turned it off.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 am 

Chus wrote:
Just turned it off.

As did I. Fucking garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:51 am 

Just turned it on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 am 

Here's where I'm conflicted: Michael Bennett is telling the truth that he was drawn on and aggressively cuffed because of his appearance and the color of his skin. There are two possibilities that explain those events: That the LV cops are racist and immediately look to black men as the culprit of any crime, and that Michael Bennett matched the description that went out over the radio if shots were indeed fired.

Bennett's version of events make it sure seem like what sounded like gunshots were ringing out, and cops picked out the large black dude out of the crowd as the likely culprit of what could have been firing a weapon (irrespective of whether something actually DID happen) because, well, he's black. And that's horrifyingly wrong.

But if there was a culprit observed, and the description went out on the radio as "AA male, 6'2-6'5, 275-300 lbs", could Bennett have just encountered cops who heard the radio call and didn't know who he was? That seems much less wrong than the above description, though I don't think there will be much thought given as to what actually went down. But shouldn't there be?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:23 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Here's where I'm conflicted: Michael Bennett is telling the truth that he was drawn on and aggressively cuffed because of his appearance and the color of his skin. There are two possibilities that explain those events: That the LV cops are racist and immediately look to black men as the culprit of any crime, and that Michael Bennett matched the description that went out over the radio if shots were indeed fired.

Bennett's version of events make it sure seem like what sounded like gunshots were ringing out, and cops picked out the large black dude out of the crowd as the likely culprit of what could have been firing a weapon (irrespective of whether something actually DID happen) because, well, he's black. And that's horrifyingly wrong.

But if there was a culprit observed, and the description went out on the radio as "AA male, 6'2-6'5, 275-300 lbs", could Bennett have just encountered cops who heard the radio call and didn't know who he was? That seems much less wrong than the above description, though I don't think there will be much thought given as to what actually went down. But shouldn't there be?
What leads you to believe he matched the description of a shooter? Do you think there are a lot of guys that have NFL bodies going around shooting up night clubs in Las Vegas?

Even if it did, why use such excessive force on a guy who clearly wasn't being at all combative or belligerent? That is the ultimate problem. That cop was acting like his life was in danger for no logical reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am 

Bring Danny Parkins back on the podcast to enlighten us?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
Just turned it on.

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What leads you to believe he matched the description of a shooter?

I think it is still reasonable to presume that a police officer's actions are not completely arbitrary, though that is being eroded away.

Quote:
Do you think there are a lot of guys that have NFL bodies going around shooting up night clubs in Las Vegas?

Do police descriptions over the radio now include BMI estimates or something? Maybe projected bench press reps or time on the 3-cone drill? There are tall and big people everywhere, not just playing in the NFL.

Quote:
Even if it did, why use such excessive force on a guy who clearly wasn't being at all combative or belligerent? That is the ultimate problem. That cop was acting like his life was in danger for no logical reason.

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:39 am 

I think it is still reasonable to presume that a police officer's actions are not completely arbitrary, though that is being eroded away.
Maybe, but what leads you to believe that he did match the radioed description of the shooter if there even was one? I mean, hypothetically, the call could have been "Michael Bennett, #72, Defensive End of the Seattle Seahawks is believed to have just shot up a club". There isn't a reason to believe that though.
Do police descriptions over the radio now include BMI estimates or something? Maybe projected bench press reps or time on the 3-cone drill? There are tall and big people everywhere, not just playing in the NFL.
Your hypothetical had a very specific height and weight that would indicate a large and presumably athletic person. I'm sure you've been in the same area as professional athletes. They just come off as bigger and stronger than your average citizen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am 

Maybe he matched the description of the guy who shot Tupac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Maybe, but what leads you to believe that he did match the radioed description of the shooter if there even was one?

I'm not saying I believe he matched the description, I'm saying it is a possible set of circumstances that would produce the observed result. It's affirming the consequent, I know, but the other option is that LV police picked out a black dude just because, and while that is certainly possible and plausible, even probable, it is not known for sure, and there probably won't be much effort made to decide which one it was, despite one being, perhaps, more palatable than the other. That was the entire jist of my original post on the subject.

Quote:
Your hypothetical had a very specific height and weight that would indicate a large and presumably athletic person.

Generating descriptions of observed people is something police officers are trained in. I don't want to go down the road arguing that Bennett probably matched the description of the shooter, but you seem to be making the point that Bennett couldn't possible have matched any description because he's big and strong, which is wholly absurd.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:52 am 

Look at his body !!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:04 pm 

I guess the Vegas police have issued a statement apologizing to Micheal saying it was a case of mistaken identity . They thought he was Martellus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:05 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I guess the Vegas police have issued a statement apologizing to Micheal saying it was a case of mistaken identity . They thought he was Martellus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 pm 

I'm not saying I believe he matched the description, I'm saying it is a possible set of circumstances that would produce the observed result. It's affirming the consequent, I know, but the other option is that LV police picked out a black dude just because, and while that is certainly possible and plausible, even probable, it is not known for sure, and there probably won't be much effort made to decide which one it was, despite one being, perhaps, more palatable than the other. That was the entire jist of my original post on the subject.
Why though? As I said, they could have been saying his name, number, position, and team over the radio too. It's pretty pointless to even mention that maybe the radio was looking for a guy who looked just like him. If that happens then we consider it but not when it's just a random speculation that you even think is quite unlikely.
Generating descriptions of observed people is something police officers are trained in. I don't want to go down the road arguing that Bennett probably matched the description of the shooter, but you seem to be making the point that Bennett couldn't possible have matched any description because he's big and strong, which is wholly absurd.
With speculation, it matters just how likely that speculation is. I think it is very unlikely that while people were running from the scene of a potential shooting that the cops were on the radio describing the suspect as a guy who is big and strong enough to play defensive end in the NFL. Of course there is always that chance. If this happened to Shawn Bradley there is a chance that they were looking for a 7'7, 145 pound guy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:13 pm 

TMZ has video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNikMTIgL8

Things I don't see:

1. A cop with a gun near Bennett's head. ["he placed his gun near my head..."

2. A cop with a knee in Bennett's back while he is on the ground complying ["a second Officer came over and forcefully jammed his knee into my back..."]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think it is very unlikely that while people were running from the scene of a potential shooting that the cops were on the radio describing the suspect as a guy who is big and strong enough to play defensive end in the NFL.

Me too, because that's not how people are described. People are described in the shorthand by height, weight, [ostensible] gender, and race.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm 

Things I don't see:

2. A cop with a knee in Bennett's back while he is on the ground complying ["a second Officer came over and forcefully jammed his knee into my back..."]

You calling this brotha a liar? Don't make me call Jason Goff on you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
badrogue17 wrote:

My former business partner who is doing sixty years for shooting a guy has a twin brother. That was a dicey proposition for the brother when the shooter was still at large after committing the crime. Also, when the brother and I went down to visit at Menard, the guards kind of freaked out like, "Whoa! How did that guy get out there????" It was kind of hairy for a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 pm 

Cashman wrote:

Things I don't see:

You calling this brotha a liar? Don't make me call Jason Goff on you!

Going by Bennett's timeline, Cop 1 drew on him and commanded him to the ground, then Cop 2 entered and jumped on Bennett's back to cuff him. This video starts sometime after Cop 2 entered, but before Bennett was completely cuffed (he is commanding Bennett's hands so he can get the cuffs on). I just want to know where Cop 1 is, and is it normal for a cop covering another cuffing a suspect to leave the immediate area before the cuffs are fully applied.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

I'm sure those things happened right before the recording starts that would've provided irrefutable proof .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think it is very unlikely that while people were running from the scene of a potential shooting that the cops were on the radio describing the suspect as a guy who is big and strong enough to play defensive end in the NFL.

Me too, because that's not how people are described. People are described in the shorthand by height, weight, [ostensible] gender, and race.

Yes, and it is unlikely that the description of the height, weight, gender, and race would lead you to have such a strong suspicion of an NFL player to throw him down on the ground like that. Would you like to make a wager that when the facts come out the description of the suspect, if it even existed, does not match the profile of Bennett?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yes, and it is unlikely that the description of the height, weight, gender, and race would lead you to have such a strong suspicion of an NFL player to throw him down on the ground like that.

So now we're assuming that the cops recognized Bennett? Not to go all Bernstein here, but Bennett, does spend most of his time on television wearing a helmet with a facemask, and only recently has been getting a lot of press when not. Are you saying that the cops should have recognized him and let him go, even if he matched the description given?

Quote:
Would you like to make a wager that when the facts come out the description of the suspect, if it even existed, does not match the profile of Bennett?

Again, I don't necessarily believe that there was a description that Bennett matched, specifically or generally, hence my original conflict, but what kind of margins are you giving on "match the profile"?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:31 pm 

I figured it was Darkside .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

So now we're assuming that the cops recognized Bennett? Not to go all Bernstein here, but Bennett, does spend most of his time on television wearing a helmet with a facemask, and only recently has been getting a lot of press when not. Are you saying that the cops should have recognized him and let him go, even if he matched the description given?
No. Read it again. I'm saying it is quite unlikely that Bennett matches the description to the point of deserving such treatment. It has nothing to do with recognizing him personally. Wait until we get the description that came out instead of just making wild speculation. The odds are very likely that it wasn't a type that could describe an NFL DE.

Again, I don't necessarily believe that there was a description that Bennett matched, specifically or generally, hence my original conflict, but what kind of margins are you giving on "match the profile"?
:lol: I'll have it be the range you started this discussion out with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yes, and it is unlikely that the description of the height, weight, gender, and race would lead you to have such a strong suspicion of an NFL player to throw him down on the ground like that. Would you like to make a wager that when the facts come out the description of the suspect, if it even existed, does not match the profile of Bennett?

What would be the end game of probably the most filmed/videoed area in the US outside of area 51, for the police in the setting?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36 pm 

Cashman wrote:
What would be the end game of probably the most filmed/videoed area in the US outside of area 51, for the police in the setting?
I don't understand the question. Excessive force can happen anywhere. The NYPD broke the foot of an NBA player in one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:38 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Cashman wrote:
I don't understand the question. Excessive force can happen anywhere. The NYPD broke the foot of an NBA player in one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

I agree about excessive force. I can't say that a 5ft 9in police officer did that in the video.