It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Seems to me you are trying to argue that there is some racial angle as to why people disliked B&G talking NBA and got Goff canned.

That CTE thing real for you?

I love the assumption by PittMike and Curious Hair (the guy most obsessed with identity here) that you started this thread because you're black or Goff is black. I'm sure they'll love if you or I accused them of starting a thread or making a statement because they're white. Unbelievable fucking ignorance.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
FavreFan wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
LTG schooled basically the entire damn board in this thread. Well done.

How, exactly? I thought the "if you don't like out-of-town NBA talk, it's really about not being an NBA fan" was cute, but still missing the ultimate point that you can be an NBA fan (or a Bulls fan), but not one to the point where you want your local sports-talk station to spend a segment or two (AND BRING ON A GUEST!) to discuss the Jazz-Clippers series or a mid-season Rockets-Spurs matchup. This mindset is not incongruous with being an NFL fan to the point where you will gladly listen to your local guys discuss the absurdity of the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr.

As per usual, LTG's claims of hypocrisy are misguided at best. Real hypocrisy would be people lambasting the former B&G show for talking about the Bulls nonstop and then claiming that their disdain was really about OOT NBA discussion, when in reality ANY discussion of basketball topics drew their ire. As I understand the board sentiment, Bernstein and Goff were respected for their basketball, as well as Bulls-specific opinions and analysis. I saw no break in reasoning to the extent LTG (and now you) proclaim there was.

I think that's wrong. I thought most of us agreed they didn't actually know what the fuck they were talking about when it comes to the NBA. That was always my biggest issue with them. Bernstein knows basketball, but doesnt really know anything about the NBA or is always months late on a story or player. I think he found out Donovan Mitchell was good like 2 weeks ago.

Regardless, I don't think Bulls talk regularly got torched by MANY here. Perhaps there was the occasional groaning about a guest being brought on to discuss a team that is actively tanking, but I always enjoyed hearing them talk about the Bulls, Goff especially. It's just...I don't care at all about a Bucks-Kings game, no matter if it ended on a buzzer-beater, and I'm betting MANY Chicagoans don't, either. It's also not hypocritical for those same Chicagoans to want to hear about the Odell Beckham Jr. trade prospects, because the NFL is unquestionably, insanely, more popular than the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

How, exactly? I thought the "if you don't like out-of-town NBA talk, it's really about not being an NBA fan" was cute, but still missing the ultimate point that you can be an NBA fan (or a Bulls fan), but not one to the point where you want your local sports-talk station to spend a segment or two (AND BRING ON A GUEST!) to discuss the Jazz-Clippers series or a mid-season Rockets-Spurs matchup. This mindset is not incongruous with being an NFL fan to the point where you will gladly listen to your local guys discuss the absurdity of the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr.

As per usual, LTG's claims of hypocrisy are misguided at best. Real hypocrisy would be people lambasting the former B&G show for talking about the Bulls nonstop and then claiming that their disdain was really about OOT NBA discussion, when in reality ANY discussion of basketball topics drew their ire. As I understand the board sentiment, Bernstein and Goff were respected for their basketball, as well as Bulls-specific opinions and analysis. I saw no break in reasoning to the extent LTG (and now you) proclaim there was.

As per usual you are simply off. This board complained about B&G talking basketball during the NBA finals after all.

The cover was always the Bulls aint shit so why should anyone want to talk about them?

How long have the Bears run an inept and shitty franchise?

As i previously stated I'm fairly certain that i began listening to the Score before you and even in the early days they hated talking basketball. The Bulls were winning championships and you still had a station oversaturated with football talk.

As much as people like to think of this place as some sort of litmus test for all things radio it isn't. The most popular thread in this forum happens to pertain to the twitter ramblings of a non descript update girl.

Ponder that for a second.

Fact remains that NBA ratings are way up and Football ratings were way down.

Off season Football talk is PTFB for most people and there is no way that listeners are more interested in it than basketball with the start of the foitball season being 5 months out.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I doubled down for a second helping of the scintillating mid March football chatter that everyone just can't seem to do without.

I was instructed that the Bears will be running a "modern" NFL offense this year. Didn't we also get that when Trestman was signed?

This is what is supposed to pass for "cutting" edge radio? Football talk in March. We wonder why Sportstalk radio in Chicago sucks ass. Chet Coppock is turning over in his damn grave. The thought of a medium that he helped pioneer being led by untalented hacks is enough to do that to the Chetster.

Well now you lost me too. Mac is about as naturally talented at talking on the radio as one can be.

A little bit of hyperbole on my part but Mac benefits from the relative lack of talent found on the radio in this city. He is cool but his profile is enhanced greatly by the lack of credible sports yakkers to be found here.

Mac is very conscious of his brand. He does a pretty good job of building and sustaining it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

As per usual you are simply off. This board complained about B&G talking basketball during the NBA finals after all.

Yeah, having a guest on and spending multiple segments discussing a conference quarter finals game. That ribbing was well-earned.

long time guy wrote:
The cover was always the Bulls aint shit so why should anyone want to talk about them?

I don't recall that being brought up when B&G talked about the Bulls. Maybe when they went a little too Bulls-heavy, but I cannot recall an immediate negative reaction at first blush of Bulls Talk. Maybe you can, but I do not.

long time guy wrote:

Your plausible deniability of "I never said the NBA was more popular than the NFL" aside, the downtrodden NFL ratings still destroy the NBA ratings.

The NBA Finals averaged an 11.3 on ABC in 2017, with a 13.5 for Game 5 (highest of the series). In 2017 the NFL Wild Card Weekend averaged a 16.8, the highest being a 20.4.

long time guy wrote:
Off season Football talk is PTFB for most people and there is no way that listeners are more interested in it than basketball with the start of the foitball season being 5 months out.

You simply have no factual basis to make this claim, despite making it repeatedly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Seems to me you are trying to argue that there is some racial angle as to why people disliked B&G talking NBA and got Goff canned.

I love the assumption by PittMike and Curious Hair (the guy most obsessed with identity here) that you started this thread because you're black or Goff is black. I'm sure they'll love if you or I accused them of starting a thread or making a statement because they're white. Unbelievable fucking ignorance.

You make statements like that all the time. You can't have an honest discussion about race without getting angry or calling people fucking stupid. It's why Leash left the board. Why are you so angry?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You make statements like that all the time. You can't have an honest discussion about race without getting angry or calling people fucking stupid. It's why Leash left the board. Why are you so angry?

Based on your discussions with Rick the same can be said about you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Feel free to post all your evidence or continue being the stand up guy you are. You'll always be #2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah, having a guest on and spending multiple segments discussing a conference quarter finals game. That ribbing was well-earned.

long time guy wrote:

I don't recall that being brought up when B&G talked about the Bulls. Maybe when they went a little too Bulls-heavy, but I cannot recall an immediate negative reaction at first blush of Bulls Talk. Maybe you can, but I do not.

long time guy wrote:

Your plausible deniability of "I never said the NBA was more popular than the NFL" aside, the downtrodden NFL ratings still destroy the NBA ratings.

The NBA Finals averaged an 11.3 on ABC in 2017, with a 13.5 for Game 5 (highest of the series). In 2017 the NFL Wild Card Weekend averaged a 16.8, the highest being a 20.4.

long time guy wrote:

You simply have no factual basis to make this claim, despite making it repeatedly.

You have no factual basis for your claim that OFFSEASON football is of more interest than NBA talk either.

Its interesting that you cite numbers from NFL season when my argument has never been about in season NFL talk. For some strange reason that point keeps getting ignored by you and most of the others pontificating in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If offseason out of town football is so off-putting on radio, then please tell me why the current promos for Larry's show when you stream 670 feature highlights of him talking out of town football and who the Colts should draft next month.

They are literally using out of town offseason football to promote one of their shows. They know what PTFB topics are and clearly this isn't one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:

You have no factual basis for your claim that OFFSEASON football is of more interest than NBA talk either.

Its interesting that you cite numbers from NFL season when my argument has never been about in season NFL talk. For some strange reason that point keeps getting ignored by you and most of the others pontificating in this thread.

I cited "numbers from the NFL season" because you referenced "numbers from the NFL season":

long time guy wrote:

What exactly are "off-season football ratings"? Oh, do you mean off-season stuff like the draft? How about when the NFL draft (the NFL off-season, mind you) kicked the crap out of the NBA Playoffs in ratings?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily- ... l-27-2017/

The NFL Draft did a 2.8 just on ESPN in 2017. The two NBA Playoffs games that night combined for a 1.8. The draft coverage on the NFL Network garnered another 1.0 share.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If offseason out of town football is so off-putting on radio, then please tell me why the current promos for Larry's show when you stream 670 feature highlights of him talking out of town football and who the Colts should draft next month.

They are literally using out of town offseason football to promote one of their shows. They know what PTFB topics are and clearly this isn't one.

The Score's ratings have been in decline for years. One of the reasons may be due to an inability to change with the times.

David Kaplan made his hay in this city as a Basketball coach. As much as he plays up his cubbiness he is a basketball guy at heart.

I don't listen to much sportstalk radio these days but i'm fairly certain that he talks hoops and it isn't hurting his ratings all that much.

The Score is still running the same football centric outfit that they always have run. They reached back into the past hoping to squeeze juice out of a turnip with McNeil and we will see how it goes.

If you think their decline is solely due to Goff you're mistaken. It started long before he began talking about his Range Rover.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:20 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:

long time guy wrote:

I cited "numbers from the NFL season" because you referenced "numbers from the NFL season":

long time guy wrote:

What exactly are "off-season football ratings"? Oh, do you mean off-season stuff like the draft? How about when the NFL draft (the NFL off-season, mind you) kicked the crap out of the NBA Playoffs in ratings?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily- ... l-27-2017/

The NFL Draft did a 2.8 just on ESPN in 2017. The two NBA Playoffs games that night combined for a 1.8. The draft coverage on the NFL Network garnered another 1.0 share.

You're speaking about a specialty niche show as if that is conclusive? Is sportstalk radio running draft shows each and every day?

I'm fairly certain that if they ran draft shows for 2 months (length of NBA playoffs after all) They'd be crushed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The Score's ratings have been in decline for years. One of the reasons may be due to an inability to change with the times.

David Kaplan made his hay in this city as a Basketball coach. As much as he plays up his cubbiness he is a basketball guy at heart.

I don't listen to much sportstalk radio these days but i'm fairly certain that he talks hoops and it isn't hurting his ratings all that much.

The Score is still running the same football centric outfit that they always have run. They reached back into the past hoping to squeeze juice out of a turnip with McNeil and we will see how it goes.

If you think their decline is solely due to Goff you're mistaken. It started long before he began talking about his Range Rover.

Every radio station's ratings have been in decline for years. This isn't a Score problem, it's a radio problem so your entire argument is disingenuous at best. Radio is losing to niche products such as podcasts and various XM stations. As for Kaplan, he was losing to Spiegel and Parkins after he moved to the morning spot so if he's talking a lot of basketball, then clearly it hasn't helped him.

670's most football centric show is M&H, which is also their best performing show. They bore the hell out of me, but clearly many people like the show as it is a ratings bonanza for the station.

When you measure 670, you shouldn't measure their ratings today vs what they did 10 years ago as no radio station will fair well in that comparison. Instead you should compare how they do vs. WMVP as that is who they are fighting with for ears.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm 

If Football talk is something that people want to hear year round then why have each and every football guy that the Score has trotted out failed miserably save for Jiggetts?. And even Jiggetts functioned more as North's caddy than anything.

The Score has provided tryout after tryout for ex bear players and none of them has been able to break through. Buffone failed as an everyday host. So did Hampton. So did Mannelley. If this town was so thirsty for football talk in the off season then why did Mannelley quit as soon as the Football season concluded?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:33 pm 

long time guy wrote:
If Football talk is something that people want to hear year round then why have each and every football guy that the Score has trotted out failed miserably save for Jiggetts?. And even Jiggetts functioned more as North's caddy than anything.

The Score has provided tryout after tryout for ex bear players and none of them has been able to break through. Buffone failed as an everyday host. So did Hampton. So did Mannelley. If this town was so thirsty for football talk in the off season then why did Mannelley quit as soon as the Football season concluded?

So ex-athletes make horrible hosts, got it. I don't think anyone argues with that. You're building quite the strawman here.

Are you going to even address the point about M&H? To my knowledge neither of those two guys is an ex-athlete. How about Holmes? He does well in his slots and is very heavy on football talk. Heck, his promos have football talk in March about Colts draft picks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm 

Mike Francesa made more money than MANY of us will see in a lifetime talking football and baseball pretty much exclusively.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So ex-athletes make horrible hosts, got it. I don't think anyone argues with that. You're building quite the strawman here.

Are you going to even address the point about M&H? To my knowledge neither of those two guys is an ex-athlete. How about Holmes? He does well in his slots and is very heavy on football talk. Heck, his promos have football talk in March about Colts draft picks.

Mully and Hanley have always been quite comfortable talking Bulls and basketball in general. I've already addressed the success enjoyed by every individual in that timeslot also.

I still have yet to hear one reason why Football talk in March is more desired than NBA talk.

There seems to be two separate arguments at work here. One lane pertains to talent while the other pertains to content.

If it is all about content then talent should play but a minimal role. If Football is as desired as some here proclaim then who better to provide it than an ex football player? Mannelley left (as i remember it) because he surmised that people didn't want to hear a show dominated by football talk during the off season. Either he or his superiors realized this and made the adjustment accordingly.

You are talking promos while i provided evidence of an actual occurrence relative to the discussion at hand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm 

long time guy wrote:

If it is all about content then talent should play but a minimal role. If Football is as desired as some here proclaim then who better to provide it than an ex football player? Mannelley left as i remember it because he surmised that people didn't want to hear a show dominated by football during the off season. Either he or his superiors realized this and made the adjustment accordingly.

No, Mannelly left because he realized he's a multi-millionaire who would rather spend his days on the golf course than going to a voice coach to learn to speak into a microphone, then being tied to a television most nights watching sports other than football. He was a monotone, inarticulate, abject failure as a sports-talk talent. Referencing him as a beacon of talent who couldn't make it because too much football talk actually turns people off is improper, at best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:

If it is all about content then talent should play but a minimal role. If Football is as desired as some here proclaim then who better to provide it than an ex football player? Mannelley left as i remember it because he surmised that people didn't want to hear a show dominated by football during the off season. Either he or his superiors realized this and made the adjustment accordingly.

No, Mannelly left because he realized he's a multi-millionaire who would rather spend his days on the golf course than going to a voice coach to learn to speak into a microphone, then being tied to a television most nights watching sports other than football. He was a monotone, inarticulate, abject failure as a sports-talk talent. Referencing him as a beacon of talent who couldn't make it because too much football talk actually turns people off is improper, at best.

Nice try. He quit as soon as the football season was over. I never said that he was a beacon of talent either. Not surprising that you'd misconstrue the point that i was attempting to make.

The way that talent is continuously juxtaposed with content is really quite impressive.

You're reference to "sports other than football" illustrates the point i have been attempting to make. I hope that you realize how contradictory your statement happens to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Nice try. He quit as soon as the football season was over. I never said that he was a beacon of talent either. Not surprising that you'd misconstrue the point that i was attempting to make.

The way that talent is continuously juxtaposed with content is really quite impressive.

What are you even arguing anymore? Do you think people are arguing that an iMac just saying "football" into an RE20 will resonate with listeners because, after all, it's football talk?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The 2014 Bears season made Mannelly quit his job and it killed Doug. Maybe the Score should have gone all-in on Jazz-Clippers talk years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

You mean trolled? Yeah. great job.... big win. IMPORTANT.TROLLING

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Because Rick said so? It's laughable.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm 

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Feel free to post all your evidence or continue being the stand up guy you are. You'll always be #2.

I have always been a stand up person on facts. I am not a "person of faith" who has a belief system that cannot be challenged such as yourself. Here is an interaction that is by far the most racist claim between anything you or I have said on this board. White people don't work as hard as black people:

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
He had to work very hard to make the majority comfortable. He wasn't on an equal playing field as everyone else.

Doesn't every candidate? And don't you think that he enjoyed some advantages such as record African American support and some media cheerleading? I don't think being black proved to be an obstacle.

No disrespect but of course you don't think it was an obstacle. Many whites feel that way and you're wrong.

The you will never understand what it's like argument.
If you have some sort of primordial knowledge due to the accident of your heritage then there will always be a divide. I believe these divisions are of our own creating, and that if we really want to solve race issue this special status needs to go away as well. People can understand what it is like to be mistreated, bullied or overlooked. Is it exactly the same? Probably not, but to claim white people will never understand is putting this into the status of religion and original sin.

You can believe whatever you want. I'm sure it makes you feel good and sleep well at night but it's wrong. Talk to any successful minority and you'll more likely than not hear stories about how they had to work harder and overcome many more obstacles than a white man. Talk to successful women over 50 and you'll hear similar stories. This is reality. It's not groups of people pretending to be victims.

This is not based on science. This is you "talking" to a group, then acting like a bully. Well I talked to people and you are wrong asshole is your entire argument when it comes to race.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

What are you even arguing anymore? Do you think people are arguing that an iMac just saying "football" into an RE20 will resonate with listeners because, after all, it's football talk?

There is no ambiguity and in fact you made my point for me when you asserted that there was a "need for Mannelley to learn a sport other than Football". The operative question is what are you even arguing? You contradicted your entire argument with the statement regarding Mannelley.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There is no ambiguity and in fact you made my point for me when you asserted that there was a "need for Mannelley to learn a sport other than Football". The operative question is what are you even arguing? You contradicted your entire argument with the statement regarding Mannelley.

No, I said Mannelly didn't want to take the time to learn to talk another sport, not that he needed to.
Regardless, you can't talk about the success of a sports talk show only in terms of talent, or only in terms of content. The talent makes the content.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

No Nas's essential point was correct. PM made the mistake of presuming that i was complaining about Goff being whacked. He claimed that there was a "racial angle". There was no "racial discussion" as i never mentioned race. I also never voiced displeasure with Goff being whacked either. When i called Mike on it he pivoted to a point that he'd never made previously.

The first assertion regarding race was made by him. Nas called him on it and he was correct in doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I have always been a stand up person on facts. I am not a "person of faith" who has a belief system that cannot be challenged such as yourself. Here is an interaction that is by far the most racist claim between anything you or I have said on this board. White people don't work as hard as black people:

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
He had to work very hard to make the majority comfortable. He wasn't on an equal playing field as everyone else.

Doesn't every candidate? And don't you think that he enjoyed some advantages such as record African American support and some media cheerleading? I don't think being black proved to be an obstacle.

No disrespect but of course you don't think it was an obstacle. Many whites feel that way and you're wrong.

The you will never understand what it's like argument.
If you have some sort of primordial knowledge due to the accident of your heritage then there will always be a divide. I believe these divisions are of our own creating, and that if we really want to solve race issue this special status needs to go away as well. People can understand what it is like to be mistreated, bullied or overlooked. Is it exactly the same? Probably not, but to claim white people will never understand is putting this into the status of religion and original sin.

You can believe whatever you want. I'm sure it makes you feel good and sleep well at night but it's wrong. Talk to any successful minority and you'll more likely than not hear stories about how they had to work harder and overcome many more obstacles than a white man. Talk to successful women over 50 and you'll hear similar stories. This is reality. It's not groups of people pretending to be victims.

This is not based on science. This is you "talking" to a group, then acting like a bully. Well I talked to people and you are wrong asshole is your entire argument when it comes to race.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: After 3 hours that is the best you have? Are all women black too? I don't think it's BREAKING NEWS that someone on the bottom of a ladder may have to work harder to get to the top. Keep searching! I’m sure you'll find something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
KDdidit wrote:

Because Rick said so? It's laughable.

Can you not read your own posts?

"No I'm not mad! You're the one who is mad!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next