It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:32 pm 

Talking Odell Beckham trade now.

I'm expecting the Anti NBA crowd to scream bloody murder because of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
You can talk out of town football any time of the year as football is pretty much the king of sports. It's the one sport that every sports radio listener follows. If you don't follow football, then you probably don't tune into sports radio in the 1st place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
You can talk out of town football any time of the year as football is pretty much the king of sports. It's the one sport that every sports radio listener follows. If you don't follow football, then you probably don't tune into sports radio in the 1st place.

Disagree.

Out of town football is an instant PTFB for MANY Chicago sports radio fans. Or at least it was when I routinely listened to Chicago sports radio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:11 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

There isn't more interest in Off Season out of town Football than there is in the NBA right now. No way. No How.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

There isn't more interest in Off Season out of town Football than there is in the NBA right now. No way. No How.

What do you base that on? I'm guessing the medium of AM radio filters out a lot of NBA fans, but not a lot of NFL fans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:19 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

What do you base that on? I'm guessing the medium of AM radio filters out a lot of NBA fans, but not a lot of NFL fans.

I'm basing it on common sense. A story on Lebron James or Even G.S. is going to be of more interest than a story about Odell Beckham right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Haven't been listening today, but I guess McNeil said actress Kristen Bell had a "Bitch Face" and Parkin's went JDC on him(call him a misogynist)..anyone else here this?

Last edited by Caller Bob on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Haven't been listening today, but I guess McNeil said actress Kristen Bell had a "Bitch Face" and Parkin's when JDC on him(call him a misogynist)..anyone else here this?

Yeah i caught that. Stated that he'd been checking her out for 7 yrs before making this assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Haven't been listening today, but I guess McNeil said actress Kristen Bell had a "Bitch Face" and Parkin's when JDC on him(call him a misogynist)..anyone else here this?

Yeah i caught that. Stated that he'd been checking her out for 7 yrs before making this assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I'm basing it on common sense. A story on Lebron James or Even G.S. is going to be of more interest than a story about Odell Beckham right now.

If it's an unusual story, sure ... but if it's just 'hey, look at his stat line yet again', m'eh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:26 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

but you could have a draft segment not directed at the Bears and still have plenty of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
long time guy wrote:

Two different demographics

I would heavily wager more NFL fans listen to AM sports radio than NBA fans. Plus, at the moment NFL is still king.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:30 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

If it's an unusual story, sure ... but if it's just 'hey, look at his stat line yet again', m'eh.

You've hit on the crux of the problem with Goff and Bernstein basketball talk. It was essentially one note. It wasn't "Basketball Talk" as it was Lebron Love. Their basketball talk was too Lebron centric.

That is what I remember about it. Every discussion devolved into a celebration or coronation of Lebron James.

I like basketball but even i hated that shit. There is much more to the NBA than that.

They also performed the lazy radio job of only concerning themselves with "winners". For guys who profess to like the league they sure didn't provide much in the way of variety.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I would heavily wager more NFL fans listen to AM sports radio than NBA fans. Plus, at the moment NFL is still king.

I doubt that. I'd venture to say that the non stop NFL talk is probably one of the primary reasons for the decline of sports radio ratings over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I'm sure they worked in a Bears slant to the Beckham discussion. I have seen a few fucking idiots suggest the Bears give up # 8 overall for him...that being said, he probably would be the perfect receiver for what Nagy wants to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Caller Bob wrote:
Haven't been listening today, but I guess McNeil said actress Kristen Bell had a "Bitch Face" and Parkin's went JDC on him(call him a misogynist)..anyone else here this?

He didn’t call HIM a misogynist, but said some people might view the comment as misogynistic. And he’s right. I had a female student last year who gave an entire speech on the subject. Annoying 5 minute rant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I doubt that. I'd venture to say that the non stop NFL talk is probably one of the primary reasons for the decline of sports radio ratings over the years.

"radio" is the bigger reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

M&H probably discuss more football than any show in town and they are easily #1 when it comes to all local sports talk shows in terms of ratings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:41 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
I'm sure they worked in a Bears slant to the Beckham discussion. I have seen a few fucking idiots suggest the Bears give up # 8 overall for him...that being said, he probably would be the perfect receiver for what Nagy wants to do.

No, no Bears tie-in that I heard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

M&H probably discuss more football than any show in town and they are easily #1 when it comes to all local sports talk shows in terms of ratings.

College BB is King now and it should be. NBA is still considered more interesting than Out of Town football talk.

What is evident is my essential point. Guys that don't like basketball (NBA) are complaining because they don't like the NBA. Nothing to do with "out of town NBA talk". Waddle and Silvy talk a lot of out of town BB and it doesn't hurt their ratings.

If it were simply about out of town sportstalk then why is Out of Town NFL talk more acceptable and Out NBA talk is not? Shouldn't the same philosophy apply in each case?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:44 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Again, "more of an interest" to whom, exactly? Their key demo and AM radio listeners in general? Probably not. If it was an SEO-driven podcast or livestream, of course the NBA topics are going to be a bigger draw, but of a different demo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

College BB is King now and it should be. NBA is still considered more interesting than Out of Town football talk.

What is evident is my essential point. Guys that don't like basketball (NBA) are complaining because they don't like the NBA. Nothing to do with "out of town NBA talk". Waddle and Silvy talk a lot of out of town BB and it doesn't hurt their ratings.

If it were simply about out of town sportstalk then why is Out of Town NFL talk more acceptable and Out NBA talk is not? Shouldn't the same philosophy apply in each case?

Out of town NFL talk is more acceptable than out of town NBA talk because more people pay attention to out of town NFL than they do out of town NBA. I'd say M&H's decade plus run of ratings success supports this as once again, their show is football heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Again, "more of an interest" to whom, exactly? Their key demo and AM radio listeners in general? Probably not. If it was an SEO-driven podcast or livestream, of course the NBA topics are going to be a bigger draw, but of a different demo.

If they were to open up the phone lines (as they used to do in the old days) I'm certain that NBA playoffs would draw more interest than Odell Beckham right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

If they were to open up the phone lines (as they used to do in the old days) I'm certain that NBA playoffs would draw more interest than Odell Beckham right now.
The NBA is not in the playoffs right now. In a month even more people will care about the NFL Draft then will care about the NBA playoffs.

Heck, the promo that just played on my Alexa stream was Holmes talking out of town NFL about who the Colts should grab in the 1st round. Clearly it draws ears.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Out of town NFL talk is more acceptable than out of town NBA talk because more people pay attention to out of town NFL than they do out of town NBA. I'd say M&H's decade plus run of ratings success supports this as once again, their show is football heavy.

Every person that has had that timeslot has drawn superior ratings. Check the history. Has nothing to do with Football. Murphy drew strong ratings and didn't know shit about football. North drew strong ratings and rarely talked sports let alone football.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:

You are ignoring the skill of each host's ability to discuss the topic.

Even if your premise that out-of-town NBA talk is superior to out-of-town NFL talk, B&G's way of discussing out-of-town NBA was off-putting. That likely contributed more to listener's disdain to NBA discussion than the topic itself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:59 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You are ignoring the skill of each host's ability to discuss the topic.

Even if your premise that out-of-town NBA talk is superior to out-of-town NFL talk, B&G's way of discussing out-of-town NBA was off-putting. That likely contributed more to listener's disdain to NBA discussion than the topic itself.

You obviously missed my earlier posts regarding this particular aspect of the issue.

Silvy and Waddle talk out of town basketball and do just fine in the ratings.

It can't be out of town basketball. There is more interest in the NBA than there is Odell Beckham. I'm certain of that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
All you have to do is look at the ratings for a Thursday night Texans/Dolphins game compared to a Thursday night Rockets/Heat game to realize that out of town NFL talk will draw far more interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:39 pm 

Franky T wrote:
All you have to do is look at the ratings for a Thursday night Texans/Dolphins game compared to a Thursday night Rockets/Heat game to realize that out of town NFL talk will draw far more interest.

Off season Odell Beckham doesn't draw more interest than NBA,playoff talk.

In addition is the fact that they profess to have a disdain for any talk that is "out of town" based.

Why the silence on out of town NFL talk with that being the case?

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Off season Odell Beckham doesn't draw more interest than NBA,playoff talk.

You can't discount the medium and the demo when making statements like this, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next