It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:49 am 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Seems to me you are trying to argue that there is some racial angle as to why people disliked B&G talking NBA and got Goff canned.

That CTE thing real for you?

No it just seemed like the way you were leaning. What were your original thoughts behind the thread?

I never once referenced race or Goff being canned. I wasn't a Goff fan.

My point is that for a long time all i've read on here is that basketball, specifically out of town basketball talk was bad for the show. No one wants to talk out of town sports. Ok if that is the case then why the acceptance of off season Odell Beckham talk?

My point is that people on here that complain about basketball are those that don't like basketball. Out of town caveat is simply a smokescreen.
They also make baseless claims since it doesn't seem to have effected W&S much at all.

Ok my bad. I have not followed this too closely. I thought your argument was that basically people hate the NBA etc and etc.

That is part of it but your original point made no reference to that. You referenced Goff and Race. Goff nor race were relevant to the point which i attempted to make.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
HFC used to always claim that the Bulls fans weren't Bulls fans as much as they Were MJ fans.

Dan did this for years, too, only he deployed it against people who didn't fit his schema of what a Bulls fan should be, which was more or less an orthopedist who emails Dan to refer to Ben Gordon's shot selection as "Dylanesque."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:56 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
McDude wrote:
love NFL and NBA. I play fantasy basketball daily and follow all out of town NBA. But if we're talking about listening to NFL talk vs NBA, NFL talk wins by far. It's just more interesting.

Off Season NFL vs Playoff Race NBA?

There is no such thing as a playoff race in the NBA. If anything, it's teams trying to lose to get out of a playoff position to avoid NBA Hell.

Super teams and tanking have turned the NBA into an absolute joke of a sport.

Pretty much this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:02 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The best way to gauge it would be to open the phone lines and find out.
:lol: Or you could gauge it by acknowledging that the NBA heavy radio show-- which no longer exists-- was consistently losing in the ratings to a show that talked much more about the NFL.

I pulled the podcasts topics for Waddle and Silvy and their show actually had more NBA talk for the week that i pulled.

Again if it is about this message board as the gauge then it is a rather fallacious argument.

Waddle and Silvy garners higher ratings yet you'd have to conduct a search party to find 10 threads that were started over the past 3 months regarding the show.

What does that say about this board with that being the case? Hardly a pulse for anything if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm 

McDude wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
McDude wrote:
love NFL and NBA. I play fantasy basketball daily and follow all out of town NBA. But if we're talking about listening to NFL talk vs NBA, NFL talk wins by far. It's just more interesting.

There is no such thing as a playoff race in the NBA. If anything, it's teams trying to lose to get out of a playoff position to avoid NBA Hell.

Pretty much this.

Don't look now but this is hitting baseball hard, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
:lol: Or you could gauge it by acknowledging that the NBA heavy radio show-- which no longer exists-- was consistently losing in the ratings to a show that talked much more about the NFL.

I pulled the podcasts topics for Waddle and Silvy and their show actually had more NBA talk for the week that i pulled.

Again if it is about this message board as the gauge then it is a rather fallacious argument.

Waddle and Silvy garners higher ratings yet you'd have to conduct a search party to find 10 threads that were started over the past 3 months regarding the show.

What does that say about this board with that being the case? Hardly a pulse for anything if you ask me.
None of this has to with the NBA talk.

99% of the time, NFL talk > NBA talk. Like it or not, that is the truth. So long.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

None of this has to with the NBA talk.

99% of the time, NFL talk > NBA talk. Like it or not, that is the truth. So long.

I'm sure that 99% is based upon quantifiable evidence. Or not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
McDude wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
McDude wrote:

Pretty much this.

Yep and as far as Superteams go has there ever been a franchise more guilty of that in any sport than the New York Yankees? Shit they have generations upon generations of the shit and people on here cling to baseball nonetheless.

See CH I'm merely here to point out the logical inconsistencies (Hypocrisy) of many of the members here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
what nba playoff race? more than half the league makes the playoffs. and then 75% of that cohort will get swept or lose in 5 games.

Doesn't the same thing occur in the NFL? Aren't they up to 16 teams for the playoffs?

12 out of 32.

Yes, but everyone who doesn't win the Super Bowl gets swept.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:25 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
what nba playoff race? more than half the league makes the playoffs. and then 75% of that cohort will get swept or lose in 5 games.

Doesn't the same thing occur in the NFL? Aren't they up to 16 teams for the playoffs?

12 out of 32.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
KDdidit wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

12 out of 32.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
long time guy wrote:
Yep and as far as Superteams go has there ever been a franchise more guilty of that in any sport than the New York Yankees? Shit they have generations upon generations of the shit and people on here cling to baseball nonetheless.

See CH I'm merely here to point out the logical inconsistencies (Hypocrisy) of many of the members here.
Since 2001, the Yankees have as many World Series titles as the Cubs and White Sox do.

Meanwhile, nearly half of the NBA Titles have been won by the Celtics and Lakers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:44 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Since 2001, the Yankees have as many World Series titles as the Cubs and White Sox do.

Meanwhile, nearly half of the NBA Titles have been won by the Celtics and Lakers.

The Celtics Have 1 ring in the past 30 years. Lakers have 5.

As far as Teams that have no shot going into the season Baseball has almost as many as the NBA.

Baseball also has historically had the widest disparity with respect to payroll.

The New York Yankees rarely have a season where they miss the playoffs. They invented the concept of the superteam too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

The NBA and NHL were absolute farces until about the late '70s. The NHL still kind of is. But look at the highway-robbery trades the Celtics and Canadiens would routinely get away with because nobody gave a shit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The NBA and NHL were absolute farces until about the late '70s. The NHL still kind of is. But look at the highway-robbery trades the Celtics and Canadiens would routinely get away with because nobody gave a shit.

The NHL's hard salary cap would probably solve the NBA's super-team problem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I watch very little if any NFL or NBA but I don't push the button when shows they talk about either. It all depends on the host and whether they are entertaining. I listen to more NBA and NFL draft podcasts than games that I watch. Oddly, I love drafts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
McDude wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
long time guy wrote:
McDude wrote:

Pretty much this.

Feels different in baseball. Maybe because we've actually have seen results like the Cubs and Astros?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The NHL's hard salary cap would probably solve the NBA's super-team problem

According to the great Dan Bernstein, this isn't a problem...it's a beautiful thing we should all love and enjoy.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
LTG schooled basically the entire damn board in this thread. Well done.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
FavreFan wrote:

Fake News

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:59 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Fake News

Nope. It really happened. I saw it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

You miss the B&G show too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nope. New show is a lot better. I agree a lot of the criticisms of B&G were misguided though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nope. New show is a lot better. I agree a lot of the criticisms of B&G were misguided though.

Not much out of town NBA talk though. It's a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not much out of town NBA talk though. It's a shame.

Not yet. Parkins promised it's coming when the NBA playoffs start so it's all good.

National NBA talk in late March/early April is bad everywhere. Nothing much to talk about unless you really care who gets the 7 and 8 seeds in the West.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I doubled down for a second helping of the scintillating mid March football chatter that everyone just can't seem to do without.

I was instructed that the Bears will be running a "modern" NFL offense this year. Didn't we also get that when Trestman was signed?

This is what is supposed to pass for "cutting" edge radio? Football talk in March. We wonder why Sportstalk radio in Chicago sucks ass. Chet Coppock is turning over in his damn grave. The thought of a medium that he helped pioneer being led by untalented hacks is enough to do that to the Chetster.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
FavreFan wrote:

How, exactly? I thought the "if you don't like out-of-town NBA talk, it's really about not being an NBA fan" was cute, but still missing the ultimate point that you can be an NBA fan (or a Bulls fan), but not one to the point where you want your local sports-talk station to spend a segment or two (AND BRING ON A GUEST!) to discuss the Jazz-Clippers series or a mid-season Rockets-Spurs matchup. This mindset is not incongruous with being an NFL fan to the point where you will gladly listen to your local guys discuss the absurdity of the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr.

As per usual, LTG's claims of hypocrisy are misguided at best. Real hypocrisy would be people lambasting the former B&G show for talking about the Bulls nonstop and then claiming that their disdain was really about OOT NBA discussion, when in reality ANY discussion of basketball topics drew their ire. As I understand the board sentiment, Bernstein and Goff were respected for their basketball, as well as Bulls-specific opinions and analysis. I saw no break in reasoning to the extent LTG (and now you) proclaim there was.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I doubled down for a second helping of the scintillating mid March football chatter that everyone just can't seem to do without.

I was instructed that the Bears will be running a "modern" NFL offense this year. Didn't we also get that when Trestman was signed?

This is what is supposed to pass for "cutting" edge radio? Football talk in March. We wonder why Sportstalk radio in Chicago sucks ass. Chet Coppock is turning over in his damn grave. The thought of a medium that he helped pioneer being led by untalented hacks is enough to do that to the Chetster.

Well now you lost me too. Mac is about as naturally talented at talking on the radio as one can be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

How, exactly? I thought the "if you don't like out-of-town NBA talk, it's really about not being an NBA fan" was cute, but still missing the ultimate point that you can be an NBA fan (or a Bulls fan), but not one to the point where you want your local sports-talk station to spend a segment or two (AND BRING ON A GUEST!) to discuss the Jazz-Clippers series or a mid-season Rockets-Spurs matchup. This mindset is not incongruous with being an NFL fan to the point where you will gladly listen to your local guys discuss the absurdity of the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr.

As per usual, LTG's claims of hypocrisy are misguided at best. Real hypocrisy would be people lambasting the former B&G show for talking about the Bulls nonstop and then claiming that their disdain was really about OOT NBA discussion, when in reality ANY discussion of basketball topics drew their ire. As I understand the board sentiment, Bernstein and Goff were respected for their basketball, as well as Bulls-specific opinions and analysis. I saw no break in reasoning to the extent LTG (and now you) proclaim there was.

I think that's wrong. I thought most of us agreed they didn't actually know what the fuck they were talking about when it comes to the NBA. That was always my biggest issue with them. Bernstein knows basketball, but doesnt really know anything about the NBA or is always months late on a story or player. I think he found out Donovan Mitchell was good like 2 weeks ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well now you lost me too. Mac is about as naturally talented at talking on the radio as one can be.

A little bit of hyperbole on my part but Mac benefits from the relative lack of talent found on the radio in this city. He is cool but his profile is enhanced greatly by the lack of credible sports yakkers to be found here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 40  Next