It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
All you have to do is look at the ratings for a Thursday night Texans/Dolphins game compared to a Thursday night Rockets/Heat game to realize that out of town NFL talk will draw far more interest.

Off season Odell Beckham doesn't draw more interest than NBA,playoff talk.

You can't discount the medium and the demo when making statements like this, though.

If they open the phone lines up today NBA playoff race interest would crush interest in Odell Beckham. You can't discount that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
All you have to do is look at the ratings for a Thursday night Texans/Dolphins game compared to a Thursday night Rockets/Heat game to realize that out of town NFL talk will draw far more interest.

You can't discount the medium and the demo when making statements like this, though.

If they open the phone lines up today NBA playoff race interest would crush interest in Odell Beckham. You can't discount that.

I think you're wrong. What "playoff race" is there? I would agree if you were talking NBA playoff games (quarterfinals on), but not the race for the 8th seed. And as someone else pointed out, NFL draft talk would beat NBA playoffs talk easily. All you have to do is look at the national shows and what they will be talking about.

EDIT: I just don't think the NBA lends itself to sports talk radio in general.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10 pm 

Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:

I think you're wrong. What "playoff race" is there? I would agree if you were talking NBA playoff games (quarterfinals on), but not the race for the 8th seed. And as someone else pointed out, NFL draft talk would beat NBA playoffs talk easily. All you have to do is look at the national shows and what they will be talking about.

If you add up the viewership of all of the NBA games on a given night i'm sure it would be close or the NBA probably wins.

It still doesn't address the point regarding Odell Beckham versus the NBA right now. There is no interest in whether Odell Beckham is possibly placed on the block in Chicago.

Also there are crossover fans too. i was once a big NFL fan. I never cared about it during the offseason though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:

If you add up the viewership of all of the NBA games on a given night i'm sure it would be close or the NBA probably wins.

It still doesn't address the point regarding Odell Beckham versus the NBA right now. There is no interest in whether Odell Beckham is possibly placed on the block in Chicago.

And there is no interest in who gets the 3 seed in the East. I'm guessing Odell Beckham talk, just based on fantasy football implications alone, would trump the "NBA playoff race". Obviously there is no way to know so arguing the hypothetical is pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 pm 

All they'd have to do is open the phone lines up. There is no doubt which would draw more interest i.e. calls. The NBA is the hottest thing smoking right now.

NBA athletes are also the most recognizable of all athletes in the U.S. and the World if you restrict it to American athletes.

This notion that people "don't care about the NBA" is pushed on this board and its frankly false.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:28 pm 

Frankly there is nothing more annoying than free agent talk after week one for a multi billion dollar league with a ridiculous hard salary cap.

Especially when goofs like Kirk Cousins get $84MM guaranteed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
What is there to talk about in the NBA for Chicago fans? The Rockets: good? The Warriors: also good? LeBron: look at his body? The Jazz: better than their seed?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
What is there to talk about in the NBA for Chicago fans? The Rockets: good? The Warriors: also good? LeBron: look at his body? The Jazz: better than their seed?

Those have been discussed ad nauseam, I cannot dispute that. It's why the Score needs actually likeable, funny personalities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'd add Philly and Boston also. The point is that you have meaningful basketball vs a guy that may or may not be traded during the offseason. Football regular season is 5 months away and from what people have told me on here is that out of town sports equates to ptfb radio.

My point is that out of town is perfectly fine as long as its a sport you like.

As far as demos go sports radio would probably grow if they chose to discuss topics which reflect the demographic more. Football is fine as long as its inseason.

Its not though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
No one in Chicago gives a crap about the NBA. They can literally say anything about the NFL and people will call in. The NFL is now a year round sport. Add in betting and fantasy and the NFL is king.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:29 pm 

Polecat666 wrote:
No one in Chicago gives a crap about the NBA. They can literally say anything about the NFL and people will call in. The NFL is now a year round sport. Add in betting and fantasy and the NFL is king.

Yeah, I feel like the demise of the NFL is being greatly exaggerated. Their drops in ratings seem calamitous because we're used to them going up and up and up every year, which was an unrealistic trajectory. The ascension of the NBA to sports supremacy (and corresponding death of the NFL) is definitely a bourgeois liberal project, but one that isn't complete just yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 pm 

Polecat666 wrote:

Silvy and Waddle talk NBA all the time and do just fine by it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I'd add Philly and Boston also. The point is that you have meaningful basketball vs a guy that may or may not be traded during the offseason. Football regular season is 5 months away and from what people have told me on here is that out of town sports equates to ptfb radio.

As far as demos go sports radio would probably grow if they chose to discuss topics which reflect the demographic more. Football is fine as long as its inseason.

Its not though.

I guess I don't understand the reason for this thread. Apparently most people on this board dislike national NBA talk, and would at least listen to national NFL talk. That is likely representative of the audience at large - which is reflected in the content of national sports talk shows. You like national NBA talk. That's fine. Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm 

Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Its not though.

I guess I don't understand the reason for this thread. Apparently most people on this board dislike national NBA talk, and would at least listen to national NFL talk. That is likely representative of the audience at large - which is reflected in the content of national sports talk shows. You like national NBA talk. That's fine. Enjoy it.

I was told that they dislike Out of town sportstalk. As evidenced by the dialogue its not out of sports talk that they dislike as much as its basketball talk.

No one cares about the NFL right now. In a month yes. Right now no

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Its not though.

I was told that they dislike Out of town sportstalk. As evidenced by the dialogue its not out of sports talk that they dislike as much as its basketball talk.

This is just not true. In fact, I found myself a few days ago wondering how I hear so many people talking about Bears/NFL this time of year. I have no vested interest in the argument either way, but there's a lot of NFL love year-round.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Its not though.

OK, so people don't like national NBA talk, but tolerate national NFL talk. You prefer national NBA talk. So go find it somewhere.

Again, the point of this thread is what?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 pm 

That we're racist against woke bae league.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:14 pm 

Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Franky T wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Its not though.

OK, so people don't like national NBA talk, but tolerate national NFL talk. You prefer national NBA talk. So go find it somewhere.

Again, the point of this thread is what?

I have. Thats why i haven't listened to the score in years. MANY apparently have followed suit.

Off Season out of town NFL talk isn't more interesting than present season NBA playoff talk. Sorry.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
That we're racist against woke bae league.

Let the record show which person (overly concerned with race apparently) was the first to reference race.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 pm 

Out of town NBA talk was almost daily on B and G.

Time will tell if out of town NFL talk will be daily on Mac and Parkins.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
And LTG, I don't remember MANY specifically divorcing "out of town" from "out of town NBA talk". As I recall it has pretty much always been "national NBA talk" being derided.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
long time guy wrote:
This is Chicago. For the most part, nobody cares about the NBA playoffs unless the Bulls are involved. NFL chatter is year round. You are in the minority with your NBA love and interest. I'm not saying that is bad, but its a fact.

Yesterday's show was not 90+% Odell Beckham talk. From what I have read on here, there have been MANY B&G and B&B shows where out of town NBA talk has been the main subject.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
This is Chicago. For the most part, nobody cares about the NBA playoffs unless the Bulls are involved. NFL chatter is year round. You are in the minority with your NBA love and interest. I'm not saying that is bad, but its a fact.

Yesterday's show was not 90+% Odell Beckham talk. From what I have read on here, there have been MANY B&G and B&B shows where out of town NBA talk has been the main subject.

No one can seem to answer the question as to why Waddle and Silvy's ratings aren't effected by it then

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
long time guy wrote:
You've hit on the crux of the problem with Goff and Bernstein basketball talk. It was essentially one note. It wasn't "Basketball Talk" as it was Lebron Love. Their basketball talk was too Lebron centric.

I do not follow the NBA at all. Prior to the B&G show, I could survive NBA and Bulls talk. You are correct on their Lebron-centric talk, but my biggest problem was their stance that NBA is a star-driven league and that's a great thing. The fact that the teams who control the best 2 players in the league control the standings and no other team has a chance is a good thing because we all want to see stars. Great for you, boys....that is the primary reason why I hate the fucking NBA.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

No one can seem to answer the question as to why Waddle and Silvy's ratings aren't effected by it then

you dismissed an obvious point made by MANY. W+S' talent and content when discussing OOT NBA was more compelling than B&G. Given their talent at making OOT NBA talk interesting they'll continue to do so. However, M&P are better at discussing other topics than OOT NBA like OOT NFL.

It's not really hard. There was no point in creating this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

you dismissed an obvious point made by MANY. W+S' talent and content when discussing OOT NBA was more compelling than B&G. Given their talent at making OOT NBA talk interesting they'll continue to do so. However, M&P are better at discussing other topics than OOT NBA like OOT NFL.

Yes there was and you know what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:09 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So Your point is that it is about the hosts and not about show content? I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am 

pittmike wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yes there was and you know what it is.

What was it then?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seems to me you are trying to argue that there is some racial angle as to why people disliked B&G talking NBA and got Goff canned.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
You've hit on the crux of the problem with Goff and Bernstein basketball talk. It was essentially one note. It wasn't "Basketball Talk" as it was Lebron Love. Their basketball talk was too Lebron centric.

I do not follow the NBA at all. Prior to the B&G show, I could survive NBA and Bulls talk. You are correct on their Lebron-centric talk, but my biggest problem was their stance that NBA is a star-driven league and that's a great thing. The fact that the teams who control the best 2 players in the league control the standings and no other team has a chance is a good thing because we all want to see stars. Great for you, boys....that is the primary reason why I hate the fucking NBA.

That was simply lazy radio which i agree about. They weren't knowledgeable about basketball. Bernstein used the CBA to gain cache and Goff used the Internet. There wasn't enough variety to what they did. That was the biggest problem for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next