It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
To the moderators, if this topic has been discussed in the recent past, just post a link and I’ll check it out.

Mac, I see that you frequent the board and engage here and there. Two main purposes here from my perspective. . Number one, the link posted below is when you came back from a recovery related absence back in December of 2013. I was listening in real time when you opened up and shared your struggles and experiences with addiction and recovery. Back then I drank regularly and was also abusing prescription drugs. I had been listening to you here and there for several years prior to this day in 2013 but I didn’t know your story as it pertained to addiction. When I heard this audio in real time, it stopped me dead in my tracks. At that point, I was very much in denial regarding my usage and general life behavior. “I deserve a treat” is a phrase that very much applied to me. So, I just wanted you to know how much this impacted me.

Secondly, I’m curious how you are doing. Are you still clean? What have your experiences been like recently?

Today is my 2 year clean date. Free from alcohol and pills. It’s been a long process, and the link listed below caught me at a time where I needed to hear something on a random drive to work.

Thanks

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/12/20 ... o-the-air/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:57 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Congrats on your 2 yr anniversary. It is difficult for most people to give up their vices completely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 am 

I was at a convention last week and two different people confided in me during cocktail hours that they are off the stuff. It kind of sucked for me because if I drink twice a month it would be a lot and this was my night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I was at a convention last week and two different people confided in me during cocktail hours that they are off the stuff. It kind of sucked for me because if I drink twice a month it would be a lot and this was my night.

Guess what cock-smoker? It’s not about you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 am 

No, its about you. I gave you a mercy post in your self indulgent thread because I care about you.

Last edited by good dolphin on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
No, its about you. I gave you a mercy post in your self indulgent thread because I care about you.

Well, in that case I love you, sparkles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 am 

Mac will respond. I have faith.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:43 pm 

MHSPBGLHLG wrote:
Mac will respond. I have faith.

Mac, I attempted to call in to Can't Do It awhile back to ask you about your current state of recovery, and I was shot down.

I forget the exact phrasing I used, but rest assured it was respectful.

Essentially, it was the the effect of "Mac, several years back, you took some time off to re-establish your recovery from substances. At that time, you shared that you had 'fallin back into a lifestyle that involved not only the daily smoking of weed but regular use of pain pills. You also stated that internally, you were miserable and found yourself isolating alot. And that these things happened because you stopped working a program. So, my question is, are you currently working what you would consider a healthy recovery program?"

Any input would be appreciated, brother. Especially this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
here's some apropos hold music while you wait for your response...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:33 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
MHSPBGLHLG wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Guess what cock-smoker? It’s not about you

:lol: I played quite a bit of golf in August. Probably why I missed it.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
#Stan

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Just about everyone has issues with some forms of addiction of one kind or another. Whether it's hoarding, gambling, drinking and drugging, cigarettes, sex addiction, food addiction, television/entertainment junkies, social media addicts, smartphones, video games or codependency, addiction is a common issue in our society. There are people who have serious problems where the addiction is basically going to kill them and those are the people that usually have to get help or die. Addiction is basically what people are usually to fill the hole in the soul in place of God, family, friends and healthy hobbies. There is a lot of self-medicating in our society and I think it's a symptom of a lack of community and friendship that people lack in their lives.

I do commend Mac and others for seeking treatment. It's hard to admit you don't have it all together and that you need a power greater than yourself. It's humbling thing to say you are out of control and need help. But the people who stick with any kind of addiction treatment are better for it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Just about everyone has issues with some forms of addiction of one kind or another. Whether it's hoarding, gambling, drinking and drugging, cigarettes, sex addiction, food addiction, television/entertainment junkies, social media addicts, smartphones, video games or codependency, addiction is a common issue in our society. There are people who have serious problems where the addiction is basically going to kill them and those are the people that usually have to get help or die. Addiction is basically what people are usually to fill the hole in the soul in place of God, family, friends and healthy hobbies. There is a lot of self-medicating in our society and I think it's a symptom of a lack of community and friendship that people lack in their lives.

I do commend Mac
and others for seeking treatment. It's hard to admit you don't have it all together and that you need a power greater than yourself. It's humbling thing to say you are out of control and need help. But the people who stick with any kind of addiction treatment are better for it.

His sharing of his story changed at least 1 life.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I remember years back Mac always bragging about his stock market success on a regular basis. Always riding high and gloating when indexes had a good day. At the time he was making good money. If he was invested in conservative stock and bond funds, and had a buy and hold strategy he'd still be in good shape. Even with the natural many market downturns.

Then next thing you see a guy who made big money selling cars for what he admits was not a lot of dough.
I've wondered did he get bad investment advice? He made bad investments on his own? The role of drug addiction and gambling on his nestegg?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
vitoscotti wrote:
I remember years back Mac always bragging about his stock market success on a regular basis. Always riding high and gloating when indexes had a good day.

What station did he work for when you heard this sort of thing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:01 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I do commend Mac and others for seeking treatment. It's hard to admit you don't have it all together and that you need a power greater than yourself. It's humbling thing to say you are out of control and need help. But the people who stick with any kind of addiction treatment are better for it.

You're conflating "addiction" and "compulsions" but other than that good post