It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hey Harry! Always good to see you. Don't be a stranger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Harry Seaward wrote:
I don't know if Parkins ever had any luster, but after giving him a fair listen the last couple of months I just don't find him likable.

He comes across as super pompous, and he hits the mic daily thinking that he has some profound thought .... and will spend the rest of the show agast that anyone could disagree. One could argue this formula is what you want from your host - but I really think the host needs to be likable to pull that off. Whether it's the stoner laugh or his word-of-the-day take on an issue, I'll take a pass. His response to any sort of discussion/argument is to first agree "correct" or "100 percent", but then explain to the other person that since he accepts that they have to accept whatever angle he is taking. If that doesn't work, go to the super condescending "you don't really think that _____" take (in a sing-songy, whiny voice) and throw a word like "travesty" or bring up KC.

Yes!

He's no different than Bernstein in their arrogance when discussing sports. They're literally the same person as they use the same sources and parrot the arguments/theories as gospel.

He's just slightly more likeable than Bernstein from a outside interests standpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Harry Seaward wrote:
Much like Gina Grad (on the Adam Carolla podcast) is supposedly MENSA (while coming across as a complete buffoon), they chose to pair Bernstein with McKnight - "smart" sports talk - and man McKnight sounds like a bigger moron than Mike North ever did. He went (after winning a contest) to the Larry Holmes school of radio where you make a statement - wait to hear which way Bernstein goes on it - then IMMEDIATELY change course if what you just said isn't in line with Bernstein.

This here's the heart of the artichoke: the key, no, the only way to do a good show with Bernstein is to not give a shit what he thinks. That's why Terry, Rozner, Rosenbloom, and even Grote have been good partners for him: they don't have to impress him. Laurence, Jason, and McKnight all think they need to stay on his good side to get ahead in the business, and the sad thing is it ends up setting them back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Kirkwood wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:
I don't know if Parkins ever had any luster, but after giving him a fair listen the last couple of months I just don't find him likable.

He comes across as super pompous, and he hits the mic daily thinking that he has some profound thought .... and will spend the rest of the show agast that anyone could disagree. One could argue this formula is what you want from your host - but I really think the host needs to be likable to pull that off. Whether it's the stoner laugh or his word-of-the-day take on an issue, I'll take a pass. His response to any sort of discussion/argument is to first agree "correct" or "100 percent", but then explain to the other person that since he accepts that they have to accept whatever angle he is taking. If that doesn't work, go to the super condescending "you don't really think that _____" take (in a sing-songy, whiny voice) and throw a word like "travesty" or bring up KC.

Yes!

He's no different than Bernstein in their arrogance when discussing sports. They're literally the same person as they use the same sources and parrot the arguments/theories as gospel.

He's just slightly more likeable than Bernstein from a outside interests standpoint.

The thing about Boers was he spent years covering teams, developing sources, while writing for the Times. He brought at least some credentials to the table when he was hired. Why should I value Danny Parkins opinions on sports? There are hundreds of guys like him in podcast land.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Didn't Parkins have several years of experience in KC?

You should value Parkins (or Mac, or Silvy, or anyone else) for their entertainment value, not because you glorify their sports opinions.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Harry Seaward wrote:

He comes across as super pompous, and he hits the mic daily thinking that he has some profound thought .... and will spend the rest of the show agast that anyone could disagree.

Remember when he was absolutely dumbfounded when not a single person thought he could beat Bernstein in a physical fight? I think he would have the same reaction if he asked people their opinion of his intelligence as it would not be as high as his own. I don't think he's dumb by any stretch, but I don't think he possesses the gargantuan intellect he thinks he does.

Anyone who says I think you have to agree if you subscribe to logic like I do. sounds like an obnoxious know-it-all HS or college kid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7