It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Parkins Losing Luster
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I'll preface that Parkins "gets" the point of sports radio by not taking things too seriously. However, he's becoming increasingly very annoying to listen. The dude is becoming even worse than Bernstein in appealing to authority.

Theo, Maddon, Nagy, Pace...any criticism is waved away with "oh, that doesn't matter. i trust them."

I've also noticed he's gets a little snippy at Mac when he gets his balls busted.

He's still the 2nd best host on the SCORE but I'm losing my patience listening to his "too cool" act.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Kirkwood wrote:
I'll preface that Parkins "gets" the point of sports radio by not taking things too seriously. However, he's becoming increasingly very annoying to listen. The dude is becoming even worse than Bernstein in appealing to authority.

Theo, Maddon, Nagy, Pace...any criticism is waved away with "oh, that doesn't matter. i trust them."

I've also noticed he's gets a little snippy at Mac when he gets his balls busted.

He's still the 2nd best host on the SCORE but I'm losing my patience listening to his "too cool" act.

I have only recently started listening to the Mac-Parkins pairing (in anticipation of the football season), and I agree that their relationship seems tense. Parkins can't match the pace or intensity of Mac's verbal flurries, and his range of cultural references is even narrower than Mac's. As a result, Mac has clearly asserted his dominance on the show, and Parkins seems uncomfortable with that situation.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Parkins whole schtick is doucheful condescension. Always has been. Always will be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I like Parkins. But he said something today, and I thought to myself, "damn this guy is a nerd."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
I like Parkins. But he said something today, and I thought to myself, "damn this guy is a nerd."

Too much weed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Never PM!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

A Scientist and an accountant calling a DJ a nerd and citing that he smokes weed as a reason.

You dont see that every day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Parkins is still a good listen but I do hear that early Spiegel and Parkins tension. That age difference can become problematic.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Told you so

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm 

I didn't notice much about Danny during Parkins and Spiegel show as I rarely listened. But Parkins often is coming off as phony. He crows about his desire for conflict, ball busting and uneasy radio. But I've begun to notice he gets upset and dismissive when people do not share his viewpoint. While he borrows heavily from Dan McNeil in sport radio programming (man talk), he reminds me more of Dan Bernstein in his temperment and style.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

Parkins is hands down the best host at the Score. Bernstein has been better but parenthood and aging has taken away what he had 10 to 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

Kirkwood wrote:
I didn't notice during Parkins and Spiegel show as I rarely listened. But Parkins often is starting to come off as phony. He crows about his desire for conflict, ball busting and uneasy radio. But I've begun to notice he gets upset and dismissive when people do not share his viewpoint. While he borrows heavily from Dan McNeil in sport radio programming (man talk), he reminds me more of Dan Bernstein in his temperment and style.

Parkins success has made most of his coworkers hate him. I'm not surprised that he's a little defensive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Parkins is hands down the best host at the Score. Bernstein has been better but parenthood and aging has taken away what he had 10 to 15 years ago.

Parkins is a prissy little bitch that Mac is going to chew up and spit out before the beginning of next baseball season.

This partnership ain't long for the airwaves, and Parkins may not be long for a drive-time slot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

Parkins is a prissy little bitch that Mac is going to chew up and spit out before the beginning of next baseball season.

This partnership ain't long for the airwaves, and Parkins may not be long for a drive-time slot.

How dare you dismiss the savior of the Score670!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think Parkins understands that he has the leverage and he loves his job. Mac is there because he's bored. He lost his passion for radio years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:00 pm 

Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think Parkins understands that he has the leverage and he loves his job. Mac is there because he's bored. He lost his passion for radio years ago.

Yes, but the Macolytes and DeCastro prolly wouldn't side with Parko.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm 

It's not good tension, then?

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Kirkwood wrote:
I didn't notice much about Danny during Parkins and Spiegel show as I rarely listened. But Parkins often is coming off as phony. He crows about his desire for conflict, ball busting and uneasy radio. But I've begun to notice he gets upset and dismissive when people do not share his viewpoint. While he borrows heavily from Dan McNeil in sport radio programming (man talk), he reminds me more of Dan Bernstein in his temperment and style.

He often sounds absolutely dumbfounded when someone doesn't agree with his "calculus."

I think both of these guys are stoned during the show. People complained about Goff often laughing and giggling at nothing, but these two are even worse.

They just asked Lance Briggs what is the weirdest thing he has ever autographed. He paused, and for a moment I thought he was going to say "Laurence Holmes."

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

100000 CLUB

Jbi11s wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yes, but the Macolytes and DeCastro prolly wouldn't side with Parko.

That's a good point

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
It's not good tension, then?

I don't think it's a net positive tenuousness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

I listen for about 11 minutes on my ride home from the train station. Haven't heard any tension, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yeah, Mac is old, bored, disengaged, and unmotivated. And yet he somehow can still run circles around Parkins verbally.

Parkins still has a long way to go before he'll know half as much as Mac has forgotten about radio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I listen for about 11 minutes on my ride home from the train station. Haven't heard any tension, yet.

Yeah I haven't listened in about 4 months. Never listened for more than 10min of the new pairing anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:

I listen for a few hours every week. Definitely not a ton, but I have no idea what people are referring to in this thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yeah, Mac is old, bored, disengaged, and unmotivated. And yet he somehow can still run circles around Parkins verbally.

Parkins still has a long way to go before he'll know half as much as Mac has forgotten about radio.

He's the teacher. He should know more. For me it sounds better listening to a somewhat knowledgeable guy who loves what he's doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I listen for a few hours every week. Definitely not a ton, but I have no idea what people are referring to in this thread.
This happens to pretty much every host once they get a prominent role. Parkins was the golden boy, just like Goff and drinky were at one point, just like Bernstein was at one point, just like Mac was at one point, and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Mac just told Parkins that he (Parkins) enjoys being dismissive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Love McNeil but the Parkins-Speigel pairing is much better radio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:24 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Love McNeil but the Parkins-Speigel pairing is much better radio.

Why do you think that was the case?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:26 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Mac just told Parkins that he (Parkins) enjoys being dismissive.

He does. It's really annoying. Parkins wants to emulate Mac's "saloon style" of radio where it's guys sitting at a bar shooting the shit.

But how the hell do you have a discussion when anything you disagree with "doesn't matter. end of discussion"? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next