It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would argue that the entire system of big time college sports is an abomination and has no place within a system of higher education. And I say that as a person who would miss watching college hoops.
I would say that the issue is that not enough big time college sports programs are self sufficient.

I mean this is just a terrible standard. Honestly, you want your standard for determining if a University's athletic program is being run in a way that benefits the academic goals of a school to be if an athletic department is self sustaining. You can't mean this.

So for instance, if a State University athletic department spent 45 billion dollars annually on the athletic program, but generated 45 billion and 1 dollars in revenue, you would say that this athletic department is properly integrated within that university and is furthering the goals of educating the best and the brightest that we have to offer to our education system?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am 

One Post wrote:
Nothing you posted above would change if the head coach made 250k, the players got paid a salary and were given the legal protections of being employees, the schedule was reduced to 10 games, and the athletic facilities didn't consume hundreds of millions of dollars in capital improvements each decade.
Some of that is true, though there is a reason that Iowa games outdraw Northern Iowa by more than 10x.

One Post wrote:
You can't have it both ways, either the money spent to chase "success" matters and that is why institutions of higher learning spend billions of dollars annually on minor league football, or "success" doesn't matter and said institution of higher learning can provide a cheap, safe, and ethical athletic program that fosters and enriches the educational experience of the participants in the program, the students not participating, and the alumni and receive the same ancillary benefits as a program spending stupid amounts of money.
I don't know what you are arguing here. Success does matter. I don't know how I argued otherwise.

One Post wrote:
Not for nothing, but the reason you don't go back to Purdue all that often is that West Lafayette is a shithole.
We go for most home football games. I mean, I don't think I'd go very often to an otherwise fairly sleepy college town just like I don't go to Iowa City or Champaign or Happy Valley. Then again, I've never visited your town either and don't plan to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am 

One Post wrote:
I mean this is just a terrible standard. Honestly, you want your standard for determining if a University's athletic program is being run in a way that benefits the academic goals of a school to be if an athletic department is self sustaining. You can't mean this.

So for instance, if a State University athletic department spent 45 billion dollars annually on the athletic program, but generated 45 billion and 1 dollars in revenue, you would say that this athletic department is properly integrated within that university and is furthering the goals of educating the best and the brightest that we have to offer to our education system?
I like my car. I think it's worth the money spent on it for the job that it does. However, if I had spent $45 billion on that car I would have a higher standard than simply getting the job done.

Attending football games was part of my college experience and that continues for current students today. This is especially true given your description of West Lafayette and how much of a hardship it was to be there otherwise. I view it no differently than the other amenities that colleges provide as a break from studying and if it can be done at no cost to the students or university than it provides great value.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I like my car. I think it's worth the money spent on it for the job that it does. However, if I had spent $45 billion on that car I would have a higher standard than simply getting the job done.

You don't want your car to entertain you, you want it to get you from place A to place B safely, efficiently, and comfortably.

I don't want my university to entertain me, well certainly not at the cost structure currently in place. I want it to educate the next generation of minds that are going to drive the world economy, and do so in an environment that fosters academic enrichment and achievement, provides a safe and stimulating environment, and fosters a culture that helps guide these young people as to how to act and function in society And does so cheaply by the way, or as cheaply as possible. Whether coach screamer makes 5mm bucks or 250k bucks doesn't impact these goals in the least.

If you view higher education as a portal primarily for entertainment that's great. I think now more than ever as we are hurtling towards the knowledge economy at a rapid pace, we need to get back to focusing higher education, on the actual education part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
One Post wrote:
You don't want your car to entertain you

Wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am 

One Post wrote:
You don't want your car to entertain you, you want it to get you from place A to place B safely, efficiently, and comfortably.
That isn't true otherwise you'd never see a car sell for more than $30k. In fact, given your previous humblebrags I would guess you bought a car at a higher level than sufficient to move from place A to place B safely, efficiently, and comfortably.

One Post wrote:
I don't want my university to entertain me, well certainly not at the cost structure currently in place. I want it to educate the next generation of minds that are going to drive the world economy, and do so in an environment that fosters academic enrichment and achievement, provides a safe and stimulating environment, and fosters a culture that helps guide these young people as to how to act and function in society And does so cheaply by the way, or as cheaply as possible. Whether coach screamer makes 5mm bucks or 250k bucks doesn't impact these goals in the least.
Ok, then don't watch the sports team that is self sufficient and doesn't hurt the University in those goals in any way and seemingly may actually help those goals at least if done right. No one is telling you to care about it or support it.

One Post wrote:
If you view higher education as a portal primarily for entertainment that's great. I think now more than ever as we are hurtling towards the knowledge economy at a rapid pace, we need to get back to focusing higher education, on the actual education part.
It's amazing how disingenuous you are being here. I know I'm using the word a lot but that first sentence is laughable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would argue that the entire system of big time college sports is an abomination and has no place within a system of higher education. And I say that as a person who would miss watching college hoops.
I would say that the issue is that not enough big time college sports programs are self sufficient.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

For some perspective, Lovie Smith is the highest paid state employee in Illinois.

And I think Lou Henson is still pulling in around $400k annually for his pension.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I am sick and tired of this whole debate. The bottom line is this, colleges have zero incentive to start paying their players so long as the NFL and NBA do not create an MLB quality minor league system, and the NBA and NFL have zero incentive to set up an MLB quality minor league system because the colleges are essentially doing it for free. So long as the incentive structure doesn't change, the courts don't get involved, and Congress doesn't get involved the status quo will not change in any meaningful way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Warren Newson wrote:
I am sick and tired of this whole debate. The bottom line is this, colleges have zero incentive to start paying their players so long as the NFL and NBA do not create an MLB quality minor league system, and the NBA and NFL have zero incentive to set up an MLB quality minor league system because the colleges are essentially doing it for free. So long as the incentive structure doesn't change, the courts don't get involved, and Congress doesn't get involved the status quo will not change in any meaningful way.

Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Warren Newson wrote:

MONETIZE. PEOPLE.