It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

"College Athletes are slaves" - Dan McNeil (11/26 show) says he won't argue with someone who wants to use that choice of words.

Crazy?

Sane?

Discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
A slave can never leave, but these guys can quit the program if they want. They are more like unpaid interns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
newper wrote:
A slave can never leave, but these guys can quit the program if they want. They are more like unpaid interns.

Depends on the sport, too. Some obviously are riskier than others, and some feature coaches who wield much more power over a student-athlete's life than other coaches do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
We either did this before or I'm having deja vu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
newper wrote:

In addition to that, actual slaves were often treated just a tad more harshly than collegiate athletes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 am 

Keep my sports radio political free!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 am 

If what Mac says is true:

what does it say about the moral integrity of a person who wagers on the outcomes of games where slaves play slaves in football?

this new 'woke' Mac steams more patent hypocrisy than a pile of horse shit ejected from a Hawethorne trotters horse's asshole on a cold cold day.

Mac, I love you, but you can't have it both ways here, embrace the opportunity that football gives kids
from the wrong side of the tracks, but don't call them slaves when you do "who do you love" every week and make your
salary on the backs of these 'slaves'

sometimes, you are so full of shit, you are popular because you have integrity, you are an open book;
the guy who preached toy department of the sports page and 'stick to sports,' starting this SJW bullshit will be your undoing.

just some 2 cents, hope you take it to heart, and tell your partner he is a rich asshole SJW north shore cuck, a more maleable Teinowicz without the sack.
At least Harry stood up to you, when you were out of your skull, this pussy would never do such things.

later
sabu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 am 

eat my ass

later
douchebag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
eat my ass

later
douchebag

Always providing valuable contributions and deep insights.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
eat my ass

later
douchebag

I'm a net positive poster.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
eat my ass

later
douchebag

I'm a net positive poster.

Yup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 am 

sabu wrote:
If what Mac says is true:

what does it say about the moral integrity of a person who wagers on the outcomes of games where slaves play slaves in football?

this new 'woke' Mac steams more patent hypocrisy than a pile of horse shit ejected from a Hawethorne trotters horse's asshole on a cold cold day.

Mac, I love you, but you can't have it both ways here, embrace the opportunity that football gives kids
from the wrong side of the tracks, but don't call them slaves when you do "who do you love" every week and make your
salary on the backs of these 'slaves'

sometimes, you are so full of shit, you are popular because you have integrity, you are an open book;
the guy who preached toy department of the sports page and 'stick to sports,' starting this SJW bullshit will be your undoing.

just some 2 cents, hope you take it to heart, and tell your partner he is a rich asshole SJW north shore cuck, a more maleable Teinowicz without the sack.
At least Harry stood up to you, when you were out of your skull, this pussy would never do such things.

later
sabu

This post started out with a great point but got pretty weird by the end.

I don't think this can be accurately labeled SJWism since it's been a pretty consistent sports radio topic for decades.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 am 

BD wrote:
"College Athletes are slaves" - Dan McNeil (11/26 show) says he won't argue with someone who wants to use that choice of words.

Crazy?

Sane?

Discuss.

It's an absolutely ridiculous argument. The average wage earner especially the vast majority of hourly workers are far closer to slaves than scholarship athletes. Especially those in glamour sports. Football players are closer to people in high profile jobs. The idea that these are impoverished college kids who can't afford McDonald's is ridiculous. Are they exploited? Certainly. But so are entry level analysts at Goldman.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
BD wrote:

Crazy?

Sane?

Discuss.

It's an absolutely ridiculous argument. The average wage earner especially the vast majority of hourly workers are far closer to slaves than scholarship athletes. Especially those in glamour sports. Football players are closer to people in high profile jobs. The idea that these are impoverished college kids who can't afford McDonald's is ridiculous. Are they exploited? Certainly. But so are entry level analysts at Goldman.

Is the word "slave" in this context charged and hyperbolic? Certainly. But I would have to believe- without having heard the segment- that his point wasn't to compare college football/basketball players to actual slaves, but merely to point out- correctly- that they are exploited and virtually unpaid labor (in spite of their "scholarships").

I expect BRick to show up momentarily to defend this abhorrent system. Boiler Up!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
They're contingent workers with shitty salaries. They can lose their scholarship or be chased off by a coach at any time. Why bother with the "slave" nonsense? We already have good terms to describe them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Is the word "slave" in this context charged and hyperbolic? Certainly. But I would have to believe- without having heard the segment- that his point wasn't to compare college football/basketball players to actual slaves, but merely to point out- correctly- that they are exploited and virtually unpaid labor (in spite of their "scholarships").

I expect BRick to show up momentarily to defend this abhorrent system. Boiler Up!
Slave is a stupid way to phrase it that only hurts the logical arguments.

At a minimum, they should be able to make money off their likenesses and appearances. If I want to buy a $500 signed poster of Rondale Moore why shouldn't I be able to?

They also should get a standardized rate for football related activities, but it would pale in comparison to the first thing I mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

At a minimum, they should be able to make money off their likenesses and appearances. If I want to buy a $500 signed poster of Rondale Moore why shouldn't I be able to?

They also should get a standardized rate for football related activities, but it would pale in comparison to the first thing I mentioned.

I would argue that the entire system of big time college sports is an abomination and has no place within a system of higher education. And I say that as a person who would miss watching college hoops.

For some perspective, Lovie Smith is the highest paid state employee in Illinois.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I would guess that there is fairly large black market for what you describe already. It's certainly past time to just allow this, and to quit with the idea that these are amateurs and just college students who happen to play a sport.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would argue that the entire system of big time college sports is an abomination and has no place within a system of higher education. And I say that as a person who would miss watching college hoops.
I would say that the issue is that not enough big time college sports programs are self sufficient.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
For some perspective, Lovie Smith is the highest paid state employee in Illinois.
I don't have a problem with that as long as it can be justified. If ticket sales + alumni choosing to donate can cover those costs and want to then go ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I would say that the issue is that not enough big time college sports programs are self sufficient.

There are no educational benefits to universities operating what amount to professional (though unpaid) football teams. The main "benefits" are television programming/advertising.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There are no educational benefits to universities operating what amount to professional (though unpaid) football teams. The main "benefits" are television programming/advertising.
Well, there is no educational benefit to having a workout facility and pool for the students either but they still have them.

It's another recreational activity for students. It's also used heavily for fundraising on both the athletic and academic side.

To put it another way, if there was no benefit to the university then schools would go the University Of Chicago route and put that money into libraries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
newper wrote:

In addition to that, actual slaves were often treated just a tad more harshly than collegiate athletes.

Harry Teinowitz used to treat the interns worse than a coach treats a college football player and Dan did nothing to change the situation. He could have been a conductor on the radio intern underground railroad and shepherded those poor souls to freedom at the score where they would be treated like seasonal migrant produce pickers rather than slaves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is the kid getting a scholarship at East Carolina getting the better or worse end of the deal versus the school?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, there is no educational benefit to having a workout facility and pool for the students either but they still have them.

It's another recreational activity for students. It's also used heavily for fundraising on both the athletic and academic side.

To put it another way, if there was no benefit to the university then schools would go the University Of Chicago route and put that money into libraries.

Great point, schools like University of Chicago are doing it wrong. We need fewer University of Chicagos and more Clemson Universities.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am 

One Post wrote:
Great point, schools like University of Chicago are doing it wrong. We need fewer University of Chicagos and more Clemson Universities.
Plenty of quality schools found a way to still be a quality school with athletics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This has mostly been disproved in that when a University's athletic program does well it does increase fundraising for, wait for it, wait for it, that same athletic program.

When someone is going to donate 10mm bucks to the State University College of Nursing, they tend not to give any fucks if the football team went to the shit.com bowl that year.

Beer and Circus is still a great read and hold up in a lot of respects even almost 20 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am 

One Post wrote:
This has mostly been disproved in that when a University's athletic program does well it does increase fundraising for, wait for it, wait for it, that same athletic program.

When someone is going to donate 10mm bucks to the State University College of Nursing, they tend not to give any fucks if the football team went to the shit.com bowl that year.
That wasn't what I said. It doesn't have to do with minor bowl games. It has to do with getting people back on campus and the connection to the University. Every home game at Purdue they are honoring a long time donor on the field. They have special alumni events built around those fall weekends. It's also one of the primary things that keeps a connection to the school after graduation. I have not been back to Purdue for a non-football event since I graduated. I can't imagine I would make many special trips there.

Are you going to be disingenuous this whole thread?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:

That wasn't what I said. It doesn't have to do with minor bowl games. It has to do with getting people back on campus and the connection to the University. Every home game at Purdue they are honoring a long time donor on the field. They have special alumni events built around those fall weekends. It's also one of the primary things that keeps a connection to the school after graduation. I have not been back to Purdue for a non-football event since I graduated. I can't imagine I would make many special trips there.

Are you going to be disingenuous this whole thread?

Nothing you posted above would change if the head coach made 250k, the players got paid a salary and were given the legal protections of being employees, the schedule was reduced to 10 games, and the athletic facilities didn't consume hundreds of millions of dollars in capital improvements each decade.

You can't have it both ways, either the money spent to chase "success" matters and that is why institutions of higher learning spend billions of dollars annually on minor league football, or "success" doesn't matter and said institution of higher learning can provide a cheap, safe, and ethical athletic program that fosters and enriches the educational experience of the participants in the program, the students not participating, and the alumni and receive the same ancillary benefits as a program spending stupid amounts of money.

Not for nothing, but the reason you don't go back to Purdue all that often is that West Lafayette is a shithole.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Is the kid getting a scholarship at East Carolina getting the better or worse end of the deal versus the school?

Any student going to East Carolina is getting a shitty deal...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:39 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Worse. He is likely getting CTE without graduating.