It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
vitoscotti wrote:
Franky T wrote:
They did a segment about racial equality when it comes to NFL head coaches and how white candidates are replacing black coaches this go-around. I texted to remind them that they replaced a black man to get the afternoon spot.

Something tells me no response?

None.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Parkins was upset that there are currently only two black head coaches in the NFL. He made a couple of good points regarding the Rooney Rule's intent of expanding the interview process to those who aren't family and friends, as bias is often unintentional. But then he shot himself in the foot by stating that the lack of black head coaches was bad since the NFL is 70% black. What does one have to do with the other?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I'd be shocked if Parkins has played in any kind of organized, or sandlot football game in his life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Parkins was upset that there are currently only two black head coaches in the NFL. He made a couple of good points regarding the Rooney Rule's intent of expanding the interview process to those who aren't family and friends, as bias is often unintentional. But then he shot himself in the foot by stating that the lack of black head coaches was bad since the NFL is 70% black. What does one have to do with the other?

Automatic PTFB. I did not disagree with what they were saying, but it's just not interesting radio. Perhaps Bernstein and Goff just ruined any of that kind of talk for me.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:28 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

If I was Parkins lawyer and had to defend that, Id say a high percentage of coaches are ex-players so it's a bit weird there aren't more black ones.

The truth is, IF people want to be racist in their hiring practices, it's very difficult to combat that with legislation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Feinstein had a sports hit today about how 5 black coaches went and none are being hired this year. What are the teams supposed to do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

If I was Parkins lawyer and had to defend that, Id say a high percentage of coaches are ex-players so it's a bit weird there aren't more black ones.

The truth is, IF people want to be racist in their hiring practices, it's very difficult to combat that with legislation.

True, but having to answer to that is like having to prove a negative. It is a no win and dumb talk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Franky T wrote:
They did a segment about racial equality when it comes to NFL head coaches and how white candidates are replacing black coaches this go-around. I texted to remind them that they replaced a black man to get the afternoon spot.

:lol:

Nice.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:

I wonder if that is a downward trend in some sense. A lot of the highly-sought after coaches seem to have reached the apex of their playing career in college. After their players careers they have transitioned into college coaching as graduate assistants and then moved up to NFL assistant positions.

I'm curious if college programs are the root cause of the lack of black coaching talent being developed.

I'm just spit-balling so the above could all be Malcom Gladwell or Freak-o-nomics type gibberish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Franky T wrote:

:lol:

Nice.

:lol: that is well done

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I think there are a combination of factors that presently result in the demographics we see in NFL head coaches, and might continue seeing for some time. In no particular order they are:

1. How teams obtain and retain coaching talent

2. How teams believe they can win in the NFL

3. How one becomes a head coach

4. Who becomes particular kinds of coaches

Specifically:

1. As an NFL GM/owner, if you have the next hot-shot NFL Big Brain on your coaching staff, you risk losing him to another team with an opening at a more prestigious title. So you either make your QB coach an OC, or your OC your HC, or lose them to another team. And if you are looking for the next hot-shot NFL Big Brain to add to your coaching staff, odds are you are looking at the coordinator ranks to fill your HC vacancy, or a QB coach to make OC. This structure virtually ensures that new hires are coming from a position one order lower in the hierarchy. This severely limits the prospects for any given opening.

2. It's no secret that teams believe innovative offenses are the key to immediate—and maybe sustained—success in the league. This being the case, offensive-minded coaches/coordinators are in a prime position to be kicked up the ladder. Coupled with #1 above, this further limits the prospects for any given opening, as teams want to protect/steal top offensive talent.

3. Given #'s 1 and 2, the best path to becoming a coach in the NFL is laid out: Be good at offense and get promoted up the ladder. If you're a decent sub-group coach, you'll get a look as a QC coach, then as an OC, and then HC.

4. But what kinds of offensive coaches get promoted from sub-group on up? With Quarterback still being the most important single position on the field, it seems more likely than not that a QB coach is more likely to be retained/hired away than a backs or receivers or line coach. They're helping players with the mechanics of being a QB, and they're learning every level of the offense while offering up gameplan ideas and such. And who is likely to become a QB coach? Well former quarterbacks, of course, and for whatever reason, QB's are still white players, by and large. More white QB's necessitates more white "former" QB's.

Putting it all together: If more former QB's are white, there are likely to be more white candidates seeking QB coaching jobs. And with QB coaches being more likely to be promoted up the chain due to how NFL coaching talent progresses through the league, as well as how the league as a whole has placed a premium on offense, it becomes more likely that any offensive coach promoted up the chain will be white.