It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I think the point is even if teams somehow knew the future about Brown, that he's a diva and whatever else might be out there, and that he's also a superstar on the field, there's no way he's still on the board after, say, the fifth pick in the first round. That's what makes Gabriel's comment dumb.
You can say the same thing about Tom Brady, and you'll be fired pretty fast drafting the next Tom Brady-like prospect in the top 5.

That's why I think it's kind of a dumb argument. Of course you would draft Brown in the top 5 if you knew exactly how his career played out. However, there could be ten players just like Brown who had the talent to play in the NFL at a high level but off the field concerns did in fact derail their career. I'll even give an example of a player I really wanted the Bears to get. James Hardy out of Indiana. He was one of the most talented college players I've ever seen. He got drafted in the second round though. He had a disappointing NFL career, had off the field issues, and eventually drowned himself.

So, if we are just talking about the hindsight of Antonio Brown and his career then of course it was a massive mistake. If you are a GM who is drafting for 2019 and there is a similar situation the decision to draft him in the first round is much harder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm all for major media draft "experts" being called out on stuff like this, as many of them have ridiculously inflated egos even in the crowded field of sports media and a record of awful and unjustifiable hot takes (see also: Mel Kiper declaring he'd retire if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a star quarterback, Todd McShay suggesting not a single quarterback in 2017's class was first round talent, and the new GM for the Raiders favoring Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton because of his gut).

Also Gabriel's whole stance strikes me as a weird mix of Bernstein and Hub; he's saying stuff but not saying stuff, while also patting himself on the back for being right about something when he really wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:37 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I'm all for major media draft "experts" being called out on stuff like this, as many of them have ridiculously inflated egos even in the crowded field of sports media and a record of awful and unjustifiable hot takes (see also: Mel Kiper declaring he'd retire if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a star quarterback, Todd McShay suggesting not a single quarterback in 2017's class was first round talent, and the new GM for the Raiders favoring Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton because of his gut).

Also Gabriel's whole stance strikes me as a weird mix of Bernstein and Hub; he's saying stuff but not saying stuff, while also patting himself on the back for being right about something when he really wasn't.

Are there really any draft experts though even in the NFL? People seem to think Belichick is the best but he had no clue what Tom Brady actually was and the Patriots strategy seems to be more about aggregating a lot of picks rather than hitting on a remarkably high number of them. I'm not even sure who is second. I mean, Bill Polian supposedly was and he may be the worst person on ESPN now in terms of football thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
John Dorsey seems to have a pretty solid track record

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I think the point is even if teams somehow knew the future about Brown, that he's a diva and whatever else might be out there, and that he's also a superstar on the field, there's no way he's still on the board after, say, the fifth pick in the first round. That's what makes Gabriel's comment dumb.
You can say the same thing about Tom Brady, and you'll be fired pretty fast drafting the next Tom Brady-like prospect in the top 5.

That's why I think it's kind of a dumb argument. Of course you would draft Brown in the top 5 if you knew exactly how his career played out. However, there could be ten players just like Brown who had the talent to play in the NFL at a high level but off the field concerns did in fact derail their career. I'll even give an example of a player I really wanted the Bears to get. James Hardy out of Indiana. He was one of the most talented college players I've ever seen. He got drafted in the second round though. He had a disappointing NFL career, had off the field issues, and eventually drowned himself.

So, if we are just talking about the hindsight of Antonio Brown and his career then of course it was a massive mistake. If you are a GM who is drafting for 2019 and there is a similar situation the decision to draft him in the first round is much harder.

Josh Gordon
Kelvin Benjamin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:35 am 

I've talked to a football scout and what they do is crazy. It's all about makeup/work ethic. They know who the good players are. They say “the tape don't lie.” Everything else is about makeup. They interview everyone who has ever been associated with the player. They have pages upon pages of background notes to try to get into a guys head which is pretty much impossible to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
vitoscotti wrote:
They're not really men's men. More like sensitive school girls talking about a man's world.

Dude, that's the entire station. Including Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
People who make dumbass takes like Greg Gabriel deserve ridicule, especially from peers.

I have no problem with this even if it was amateur in execution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
MHSPBGLHLG wrote:
Spiegel and Parkins are the best possible pairing of any of the station's regulars and by miles....

not saying they are the best pairing possible, period. But they are the best of what is currently being run out there. Which of course is it's own discussion in and of itself.

Agreed S&P have chemistry unlike any other current show. The midday show is a bore and Mac and Parkins is decent but is a little lacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
After seeing Gabriel's tweet...he got exactly what he deserved. His comments were idiotic at best.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
DAC wrote:
MHSPBGLHLG wrote:
Spiegel and Parkins are the best possible pairing of any of the station's regulars and by miles....

not saying they are the best pairing possible, period. But they are the best of what is currently being run out there. Which of course is it's own discussion in and of itself.

Agreed S&P have chemistry unlike any other current show. The midday show is a bore and Mac and Parkins is decent but is a little lacking.

I think you're right that Mac and Parkins haven't meshed particularly well just yet, and Spiegel and Parkins was generally a better pairing due to their excellent chemistry and the fact that Spiegel has apparently worked quite hard at being a lot less annoying than he was earlier in his career.

Considering this state of affairs, it seems like a much better lineup for the Score would include reinstating the Spiegel/Parkins pairing in the midday and combining Mac and Bernstein for the afternoon drive. Mac and Bernstein might end up killing one another, but I think they could produce some fantastic radio together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Tall Midget wrote:
DAC wrote:
MHSPBGLHLG wrote:

I think you're right that Mac and Parkins haven't meshed particularly well just yet, and Spiegel and Parkins was generally a better pairing due to their excellent chemistry and the fact that Spiegel has apparently worked quite hard at being a lot less annoying than he was earlier in his career.

Considering this state of affairs, it seems like a much better lineup for the Score would include reinstating the Spiegel/Parkins pairing in the midday and combining Mac and Bernstein for the afternoon drive. Mac and Bernstein might end up killing one another, but I think they could produce some fantastic radio together.

a mac bernstein pairing would end when mac goes AWOL for any number of reasons.... but most likely triggered by the reading of the NBA GM survey show