It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Spiegel and Parkins: You had Antonio Brown going in the 6th round. Bet you'd have him ranked higher now, huh? Ha-ha-ha...

Greg Gabriel: Ugh...

Repeat for several minutes.

And for several more minutes after that.

Jesus Christ, just drop it already.

Great interview, guys. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Worse was they foreshadowed that before he came on. Ambush.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This was a result of a Gabriel tweet justifying why he was drafted so low.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Towards the end of the interview Gabriel said "...for the 10th time..."

Spiegel and Parkins sounded like complete amateurs. If Mac were there I would like to think he would have intervened before it got too ridiculous and said "OK, moving on..."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
It was ridiculous. 20 minutes of much ado about nothing. Parkins seems to be an attention whore who now blows little things out of proportion to appear to be "important".

Spiegel and Parkins... C'mon man! You can do better.

MANY people need to be challenged and rebutted but Greg Gabriel doesn't appear to be high on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Gabriel kind of dumbass anyway. See, 7 years later, told you so! Whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm 

McDude wrote:
See, 7 years later, told you so! Whatever.

My thoughts exactly. Yea, Brown hasn't done shit in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Parkins and Spiegel have had one of the most entertaining shows I have heard in a long time on the station. Starting with transition when Matt was busting McKnights balls because Connor is the fucking weird kid at the party that can’t have a normal conversation with people. Did anyone mention Eddie Jackson? I actually liked the interview with Brent Musburger today. Most days I find him to be a showstopper. Wanstedt is always good and their interview with the clown from LA was great. My commute was a lot less painful today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Peoria Matt wrote:
McDude wrote:

That’s not the point he was making . He said he fell lower in the draft because there were character issues with him coming out of college and they didn’t “ just “ manifest themselves last weekend . Ryan Clark mentioned issues with him going back what 5 years ? He never said he wouldn’t make a good pro. ( to my knowledge anyway )

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:36 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
McDude wrote:

That’s not the point he was making . He said he fell lower in the draft because there were character issues with him coming out of college and they didn’t “ just “ manifest themselves last weekend . Ryan Clark mentioned issues with him going back what 5 years ? He never said he wouldn’t make a good pro. ( to my knowledge anyway )

Regardless, he's been a great NFL WR. He seems like an ass but he's produced like few others. The teams that passed on him really misjudged his talent, jack ass or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Peoria Matt wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
McDude wrote:

Regardless, he's been a great NFL WR. He seems like an ass but he's produced like few others. The teams that passed on him really misjudged his talent, jack ass or not.

Exactly it. It had nothing to do with his personality it was a misjudgment of talent.

And yes Spiegel and Parkins much better than Mac and Parkins. Maybe they'll do a 3 man show in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
Spiegel and Parkins are the best possible pairing of any of the station's regulars and by miles....

not saying they are the best pairing possible, period. But they are the best of what is currently being run out there. Which of course is it's own discussion in and of itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
I think it's fairly obvious that Parkins and Mac aren't a GREAT fit. Sure, they like each other well enough, but they know that they don't make the best radio. Mac prefers many past partners and Parkins probably prefers to just host by himself or with Spiegel.

Mac is Parkins' "radio idol," and that's all well and good but like the great philosopher Ricky Rozay noted...sometimes your "idols become your rivals."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's (Hillside)
Tad Queasy wrote:
Spiegel and Parkins: You had Antonio Brown going in the 6th round. Bet you'd have him ranked higher now, huh? Ha-ha-ha...

Greg Gabriel: Ugh...

Repeat for several minutes.

And for several more minutes after that.

Jesus Christ, just drop it already.

Great interview, guys. :roll:

1. Tad: Thank you so much for bringing back Katie Nolan for the new year. Her GIFs make me very happy.
2. I think Mac and Parkins have a very good chemistry. Why all the bitching about them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Gabriel is a fucking moron, this is one of many reasons.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 8590448934

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I didn't hear the segment, but Gabriel takes himself too seriously. If they tried to take him down a couple of pegs, I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
A good listen. I thought both sides came off bad. Gabriel really worded things oddly, which he admitted. He hinted there's more to Brown's story than that's coming out. Then or now wasn't clear. Very awkward radio makes for good radio. S & P reinforced why a lot of listeners depise them. They're not really men's men. More like sensitive school girls talking about a man's world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:09 am 

It's kind of a dumb tweet already but that last line "teams know what they're doing" is ridiculous. Every team in the NFL would take Brown, even with his issues, with their first pick if they had a do over.

Spiegel is terrible, but credit to him for putting his ego aside to keep working. This much suck for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:

It's kind of a dumb tweet already but that last line "teams know what they're doing" is ridiculous. Every team in the NFL would take Brown, even with his issues, with their first pick if they had a do over.

Spiegel is terrible, but credit to him for putting his ego aside to keep working. This much suck for him.

I imagine you don't know Spiegs well enough. I guess he is just fine staying home most days with his wife and kid getting paid by the score and doing his music thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I imagine you don't know Spiegs well enough. I guess he is just fine staying home most days with his wife and kid getting paid by the score and doing his music thing.

Perhaps, but if the guy has any ego at all, and it seems he does, this situation sucks.

"Hey you know that kid we partnered you with? Yea, were keeping him and giving him your other old partner. You're out, but you can fill in from time to time."

Plus, hasn't Spiegel admitted to being pissed about how it all went down?

If he's made his peace with it, that's great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
rogers park bryan wrote:

the comments to his twitter post are pretty good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I think Gabriel is saying things without really saying things there. I mean, Marvin Harrison was seemingly Tony Soprano when not catching touchdowns. Aaron Hernandez had "character issues" but we didn't know the extent of them either.

Gabriel seems to be explaining why he fell in the draft, not that his production has been worth a 6th round pick.

I think it's kind of a dumb argument. Everyone knows that Brown has been a HOF-caliber receiver but there also could have been valid reasons that EVERY NFL team doubted him at least 4 or 5 times in that draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think Gabriel is saying things without really saying things there. I mean, Marvin Harrison was seemingly Tony Soprano when not catching touchdowns. Aaron Hernandez had "character issues" but we didn't know the extent of them either.

Gabriel seems to be explaining why he fell in the draft, not that his production has been worth a 6th round pick.

I think it's kind of a dumb argument. Everyone knows that Brown has been a HOF-caliber receiver but there also could have been valid reasons that EVERY NFL team doubted him at least 4 or 5 times in that draft.

Exactly .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Exactly .

I think that would be a perfectly acceptable explanation without the last line. The last line renders the rest of it ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I think that would be a perfectly acceptable explanation without the last line. The last line renders the rest of it ridiculous.

What do you mean here? It's not ridiculous to pass on a player if you feel the off field issues will make it unlikely they succeed even with huge talent. Of course, some of those players will end up as stars.

If the issue with Brown is simply that he is a diva wr then of course that is dumb but it doesn't seem like Gabriel was just saying that. I guess we will see if anything else comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

What do you mean here? It's not ridiculous to pass on a player if you feel the off field issues will make it unlikely they succeed even with huge talent. Of course, some of those players will end up as stars.

If the issue with Brown is simply that he is a diva wr then of course that is dumb but it doesn't seem like Gabriel was just saying that. I guess we will see if anything else comes out.

Im saying that to say NFL teams "know what they're doing", as if it were the right choice, is ridiculous. And that line implies it was the right decision.

We both know that all 32 teams would take him if they could do it over, so....no...they dont know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im saying that to say NFL teams "know what they're doing", as if it were the right choice, is ridiculous. And that line implies it was the right decision.

We both know that all 32 teams would take him if they could do it over, so....no...they dont know what they're doing.
In any redraft situation, almost every player would move up or down by a good margin outside of the ones that hit in the top ten. Teams still have to follow a process and his point seems to be that the question marks that all 32 teams had on Brown were valid and that is why he dropped even with his talent. Now, if the only question mark is that he is a selfish WR then that is dumb. To me, it seems like there is a hint of more to the Brown story than him simply being a diva.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

In any redraft situation, almost every player would move up or down by a good margin outside of the ones that hit in the top ten. Teams still have to follow a process and his point seems to be that the question marks that all 32 teams had on Brown were valid and that is why he dropped even with his talent. Now, if the only question mark is that he is a selfish WR then that is dumb. To me, it seems like there is a hint of more to the Brown story than him simply being a diva.

I think the point is even if teams somehow knew the future about Brown, that he's a diva and whatever else might be out there, and that he's also a superstar on the field, there's no way he's still on the board after, say, the fifth pick in the first round. That's what makes Gabriel's comment dumb.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

"Teams know what they're doing" cant really be spun.

Its a ridiculous statement on its own, in this context even moreso.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Perhaps, but if the guy has any ego at all, and it seems he does, this situation sucks.

"Hey you know that kid we partnered you with? Yea, were keeping him and giving him your other old partner. You're out, but you can fill in from time to time."

Plus, hasn't Spiegel admitted to being pissed about how it all went down?

If he's made his peace with it, that's great.

Spiegel is short on money, wants to have a career in broadcasting, and has limited employment options. Recall that he was out of work and living in some kind of basement apartment prior to Mac rescuing him from the media abyss. Spiegel is also likely constrained by a joint custody agreement that prevents him from moving out of state with his son. Given this context, it's pretty clear that Spiegel's ongoing employment at the Score is neither a magnanimous gesture nor an enormous self-sacrifice--it's simply an economic necessity, and one that aligns with his long-term aspirations.