It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside wrote:
Parkins, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Judging by the wings and the shape, I'd say its a falcon.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
What's the one thing that's surprised you about the station since you started?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am 

So is parkins signing up for an account here to answer or will mac being giving his responses?

Did len ever come back and answer his last set of questions?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 am 

Parkins said he's a lurker but I don't think he's signing up.

Len did answer his last questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Parkins, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Judging by the wings and the shape, I'd say its a falcon.

You'd first have to factor in whether it was a European or African swallow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm 

The universe at a minimum is 13.8 billion years old, and we really have no idea what existed prior to that. The are at least a few more billions left on the universe with no idea what would come after that. The time on earth for any human is at best 120 years. That means that in a best case scenario your lifespan will span 0.0000000006% of the existence of the Cosmos. So, no matter what happens, all of the advances and achievements of our entire generation of humans will be nothing more than a speck of dirt that will be quickly forgotten and be rendered completely meaningless based purely on the sheer scope and size of the universe and time itself. So, what is the one Chicago sports related sports story, either a championship or otherwise, that you would like to see in an otherwise inconsequential existence for everyone in Chicago?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Mr. Parkins, what’s it like working with a co host going through a very emotional menopause?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm 

Are you planning on sticking with your Theo's ass tastes great approach to baseball this season?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Has your relationship with LoHo improved at all or is it still a bit icy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Parkins: more likely, you going into gambling rehab or Mac going back into regular rehab?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Parkins...

Have you ever listened to the Julie & Maggie Show when Lance Briggs was not on with them? If so, did you learn anything of value and were you entertained at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Parkins,

Imagine that you go in for a relatively minor medical procedure and when you wake up after surgery the doctor informs you that he has replaced your fingers with your toes and your toes with your fingers. He states that the procedure is irreversible and apologizes profusely before exclaiming, "They made me do it!" He then runs out of the hospital, jumps into a waiting car and speeds off. What do you do?

I'll hang up and listen to my answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Is a hot dog a sandwich?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The capital of Iceland is Reykjavik.

Mike Tirico says he is Italian, not black. Do you believe him?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The capital of Iceland is Reykjavik.

Mike Tirico says he is Italian, not black. Do you believe him?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Do you think network reporter and news anchor Sam Donaldson would have been more beloved with a different hairstyle?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 am 

Will you and Bruce be having a sit-down at Max and Benny's?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Have you and Biggs patched things up?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
So, at the end of Shawshank, does Andy buy a piece of volcanic glass to bring to Buxton or did he notice it while he was nailing his fiancee soon to be wife?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod’s
First time poster, long time periodic lurker. What happened to Redacted? Thanks for your questions. Now, some answers:

1. I have no idea where radio will be in 10 years. I consider myself in the content business and my primary form of distribution is audio. I think live and local will always have a place and value. People will always want to turn on something after a big event and feel like they are getting the most to the minute reaction and opinion on Chicago sports. So that means brands like The Score should be viable for a long time we’ll just have to constantly adapt and evolve. We podcast every show but need to figure out a better way to monetize our digital content for example.

2. The first time I smoked was the first weekend my freshman year of college. I had always passed in high school despite plenty of opportunity but I had probably 10 drinks and we were at an off campus party at my freshman year buddies older sisters house who was every attractive and they had a 8 foot pvc (spelling?) piping bong. I didn’t wanna seem out of place so I stepped right up and whoa boy... I called my cousin and told him I smoked and “didn’t have any joints. He said it’s ok one of your friends probably has one you can get in on and I said no, I couldn’t feel my shoulders, elbows, or knees. Ya know, joints.”

3. My good Kevin Kietzman story is my old station never beat him in afternoon drive for a full ratings book ever. Until my show beat him my last 6.

4. I don’t consider Mac my radio “teacher” though I definitely learn/learned things from him. He was my first favorite radio host and I called him a few times for advice over the years. I learned things like not fearing conflict, share your personal life, and have fun on the air from LISTENING to Mac but he didn’t actively teach me those things. The guys I went to college with we helped each other navigate the business more than anyone when we were starting out. Nick Wright and I talk on the phone once a week to this day and he’s one of my best friends in the world and stood in my wedding. Andrew Fillipponni (afternoons in pittsburgh) and Mike Meltser (mornings in Houston) are the other two. I was a sophomore, they were juniors, and Nick was a senior. More than any class doing shows, talking, texting with those guys is how I formed my radio sensibilities.

As for hogging the mic during interviews I wouldn’t agree with that characterization. Sometimes depending on the guest or topic one of us is more passionate about it or has extra questions that person gets more mic time but I think Mac and I communicate with each other fairly well during interviews.

5. I 100% agree we should be going after bigger non sports guests. It was talked about in 2018, it’s going to be a bigger goal in 2019. I loved our segment on the sopranos anniversary with Alan Sepinwall for example and we’re in touch with Brian Koppleman who wrote Rounders and Billions to hopefully join us in March. Also hoping to have Tom Segura on ahead of his Chicago theatre shows so I like how we’re starting the year off.

6. I have no interest in posting my salary here or anywhere but let’s just say I’m “rolling out of bed for less than 350k” but the vast majority of people, much less 32 year olds, would be very happy and comfortable where I’m at.

7. I’ve folded pocket kings once in my life and I was right but it was off a read at the table. Using your scenario as the only info I’m snap calling. God I miss poker so much. Anyone see Negreanu lay down the nut straight to a pot sized bet and the guy had a boat last month seemingly with ease? The game is being played at a higher level than I could’ve ever dreamed of achieving.

8. I would like to do more remotes anywhere. We should be out more but it’s also out of our hands. Another goal for 2019.

9. Season 5 of The Wire doesn’t need defending because even the worst of that show is drastically better than 95% of the television ever created. That said, it is the worst season of the show but maybe not for the reasons you think. David Simon the creator has addressed this. HBO didn’t guarantee a renew of the show ever ahead of time so they always had to fight for the next season. Season 5 was only budgeted for 10 episodes instead of the full 12 or 13 so some of the characters and storylines (particularly at the newspaper) couldn’t be fully developed. Templeton is a prime example. Furthermore, while the serial killer plot wasn’t my favorite either The Wire is about what could conceivably happen in the real world but the show is obviously fiction. It’s about the argument. So Simon who was a crime reporter for 20 years and Ed Burns who was a homicide detective for 20 years in the Baltimore PD made the argument that there were enough flaws in the system (the whole show is about the failed systems in a city and how they connect and get us to where are) that the scenario was/is plausible. And I believe them.

10. One thing that’s surprised me about the station since I’ve started... wow. Peoria Matt is a great texter and poster. If you’ve followed me or the station in the last 2 years you know it’s been way more than one thing. I would also say Mitch told me when I got hired that it’s “a tough clubhouse to crack” but it was way tougher than I expected.

11. As far as Chicago sports stories I’d love to see even though it’s all relatively meaningless is a Cubs/Sox WS and the Bears having the undisputed best quarterback in the league. How amazing would it be to go on a 12-15 year run with one guy and just know you had a shot at the super bowl every year?

12. I have vices like anyone in that I drink, gamble, smoke, but I don’t do any to a point that I think is particularly destructive. I’m a long shot to end up in rehab and am forever grateful it seems like I’ve been blessed with the gene to be able to keep any potentially destructive behavior in moderation.

Thanks for the questions. Feel free to send a few more. I’ll also add this observation... sometimes we get hammered for not sticking to sports. I’ve noticed this board which started as a sports talk radio message board evolved and often the most hotly debated topics have nothing to do with sports radio and you have threads on food, movies, music, politics, current events, and general nonsense (salute for Mac). Why can this sports radio message board expand and adapt with the times to cast a wider net but your local sports talk radio station can’t do the same?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod’s
First time poster, long time periodic lurker. What happened to Redacted? Thanks for your questions. Now, some answers:

1. I have no idea where radio will be in 10 years. I consider myself in the content business and my primary form of distribution is audio. I think live and local will always have a place and value. People will always want to turn on something after a big event and feel like they are getting the most to the minute reaction and opinion on Chicago sports. So that means brands like The Score should be viable for a long time we’ll just have to constantly adapt and evolve. We podcast every show but need to figure out a better way to monetize our digital content for example.

2. The first time I smoked was the first weekend my freshman year of college. I had always passed in high school despite plenty of opportunity but I had probably 10 drinks and we were at an off campus party at my freshman year buddies older sisters house who was every attractive and they had a 8 foot pvc (spelling?) piping bong. I didn’t wanna seem out of place so I stepped right up and whoa boy... I called my cousin and told him I smoked and “didn’t have any joints. He said it’s ok one of your friends probably has one you can get in on and I said no, I couldn’t feel my shoulders, elbows, or knees. Ya know, joints.”

3. My good Kevin Kietzman story is my old station never beat him in afternoon drive for a full ratings book ever. Until my show beat him my last 6.

4. I don’t consider Mac my radio “teacher” though I definitely learn/learned things from him. He was my first favorite radio host and I called him a few times for advice over the years. I learned things like not fearing conflict, share your personal life, and have fun on the air from LISTENING to Mac but he didn’t actively teach me those things. The guys I went to college with we helped each other navigate the business more than anyone when we were starting out. Nick Wright and I talk on the phone once a week to this day and he’s one of my best friends in the world and stood in my wedding. Andrew Fillipponni (afternoons in pittsburgh) and Mike Meltser (mornings in Houston) are the other two. I was a sophomore, they were juniors, and Nick was a senior. More than any class doing shows, talking, texting with those guys is how I formed my radio sensibilities.

As for hogging the mic during interviews I wouldn’t agree with that characterization. Sometimes depending on the guest or topic one of us is more passionate about it or has extra questions that person gets more mic time but I think Mac and I communicate with each other fairly well during interviews.

5. I 100% agree we should be going after bigger non sports guests. It was talked about in 2018, it’s going to be a bigger goal in 2019. I loved our segment on the sopranos anniversary with Alan Sepinwall for example and we’re in touch with Brian Koppleman who wrote Rounders and Billions to hopefully join us in March. Also hoping to have Tom Segura on ahead of his Chicago theatre shows so I like how we’re starting the year off.

6. I have no interest in posting my salary here or anywhere but let’s just say I’m “rolling out of bed for less than 350k” but the vast majority of people, much less 32 year olds, would be very happy and comfortable where I’m at.

7. I’ve folded pocket kings once in my life and I was right but it was off a read at the table. Using your scenario as the only info I’m snap calling. God I miss poker so much. Anyone see Negreanu lay down the nut straight to a pot sized bet and the guy had a boat last month seemingly with ease? The game is being played at a higher level than I could’ve ever dreamed of achieving.

8. I would like to do more remotes anywhere. We should be out more but it’s also out of our hands. Another goal for 2019.

9. Season 5 of The Wire doesn’t need defending because even the worst of that show is drastically better than 95% of the television ever created. That said, it is the worst season of the show but maybe not for the reasons you think. David Simon the creator has addressed this. HBO didn’t guarantee a renew of the show ever ahead of time so they always had to fight for the next season. Season 5 was only budgeted for 10 episodes instead of the full 12 or 13 so some of the characters and storylines (particularly at the newspaper) couldn’t be fully developed. Templeton is a prime example. Furthermore, while the serial killer plot wasn’t my favorite either The Wire is about what could conceivably happen in the real world but the show is obviously fiction. It’s about the argument. So Simon who was a crime reporter for 20 years and Ed Burns who was a homicide detective for 20 years in the Baltimore PD made the argument that there were enough flaws in the system (the whole show is about the failed systems in a city and how they connect and get us to where are) that the scenario was/is plausible. And I believe them.

10. One thing that’s surprised me about the station since I’ve started... wow. Peoria Matt is a great texter and poster. If you’ve followed me or the station in the last 2 years you know it’s been way more than one thing. I would also say Mitch told me when I got hired that it’s “a tough clubhouse to crack” but it was way tougher than I expected.

11. As far as Chicago sports stories I’d love to see even though it’s all relatively meaningless is a Cubs/Sox WS and the Bears having the undisputed best quarterback in the league. How amazing would it be to go on a 12-15 year run with one guy and just know you had a shot at the super bowl every year?

12. I have vices like anyone in that I drink, gamble, smoke, but I don’t do any to a point that I think is particularly destructive. I’m a long shot to end up in rehab and am forever grateful it seems like I’ve been blessed with the gene to be able to keep any potentially destructive behavior in moderation.

Thanks for the questions. Feel free to send a few more. I’ll also add this observation... sometimes we get hammered for not sticking to sports. I’ve noticed this board which started as a sports talk radio message board evolved and often the most hotly debated topics have nothing to do with sports radio and you have threads on food, movies, music, politics, current events, and general nonsense (salute for Mac). Why can this sports radio message board expand and adapt with the times to cast a wider net but your local sports talk radio station can’t do the same?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Jbi11s wrote:
Is a hot dog a sandwich?

is there a kid named Hot Dog Spiegel?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Parkins!

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Manhole
I have a question for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Parkins wrote:
Why can this sports radio message board expand and adapt with the times to cast a wider net but your local sports talk radio station can’t do the same?

Hi Danny. The Politics section got so out of hand that it had to be removed from general rotation so one would have to search it out.

So, not that different from the general thoughts on sports radio topics from this board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Parkins wrote:
pvc (spelling?)

Most honest laugh I've had here in days.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boring.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Peeveecee

Tell Mitch it's not a tough clubhouse to crack. It was full of socially awkward dorks that followed around an even more socially awkward faux intellectual dork. Nobody wanted to join that clubhouse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Not bad. There was clearly some effort put into reading the questions and giving thoughtful answers. Flawless navigation around the Hallway Larry and Jules questions too!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next