It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rozner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mac FM wrote:
Not out to piss on a grave.... just being honest. Roz was fine with weekend baseball shows... or as an occasional fill-in (during baseball season). I didn't get the heavy doses of him outside of baseball season. I can think of 10 other hosts I'd rather hear (half already on staff) substitute.

I also am agitated at the source, Robert Feder. Neither Feder, nor Phil Rosenthal, Jeffrey Agrest & Jon Greenberg... nobody has written the truth about the "new Score." Jimmy de Castro was creamed for the changes on two shows in March and the already-successful morning show a couple months later. Comment sections on Twitter, Facebook, here, the papers' sites universally crushed the station.

Where's the motherfucking follow up? Nine months later, the Score is whipping ESPN's ass and the gap has widened. In a post-Cubs world, Parkins & I won all but two of the weeklies and one of them was by 1/10 of a point. Adam Delevitt, in a Jeffrey Agrest S-T column published May 28, chirped about ESPN's "consistency." Know what's consistent? All of their shows are getting their asses pounded by the Score.

Somebody who calls himself a local media critic should write that instead of hosting a pity party for a weekend host with zero skins on the wall in a major day part.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
cookie23 wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
Not out to piss on a grave.... just being honest. Roz was fine with weekend baseball shows... or as an occasional fill-in (during baseball season). I didn't get the heavy doses of him outside of baseball season. I can think of 10 other hosts I'd rather hear (half already on staff) substitute.

I also am agitated at the source, Robert Feder. Neither Feder, nor Phil Rosenthal, Jeffrey Agrest & Jon Greenberg... nobody has written the truth about the "new Score." Jimmy de Castro was creamed for the changes on two shows in March and the already-successful morning show a couple months later. Comment sections on Twitter, Facebook, here, the papers' sites universally crushed the station.

Where's the motherfucking follow up? Nine months later, the Score is whipping ESPN's ass and the gap has widened. In a post-Cubs world, Parkins & I won all but two of the weeklies and one of them was by 1/10 of a point. Adam Delevitt, in a Jeffrey Agrest S-T column published May 28, chirped about ESPN's "consistency." Know what's consistent? All of their shows are getting their asses pounded by the Score.

Somebody who calls himself a local media critic should write that instead of hosting a pity party for a weekend host with zero skins on the wall in a major day part.

Mac is correct on this. Decastro was vilified on every social media(which tends to be to the left, this is important because of the show it replaced). Parkins and Mac are doing great in the ratings. Anyone who thinks this show is not an upgrade over Goff/Bernstein 5 hour lectures on social issues is not much of a sports fan.

I do question the morning show replacing Hanley with Haugh. Also, cannot believe anyone listens to McKnight/Bernstein show for it is honestly just boring.

As to Rozner, very good writer, OMG he is was bad on radio. All I heard was two things, his metra trips in and MCGOWENNNNNNN. How that bit lasted so long. Who told him to continue that or did no one tell him it was just bad.

I agree with everything except your take on Rozner. I guess I am in the minority in that I really enjoy listening to him. Bernstein and Rozner has been my favorite combo on the Score since prime B&B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:42 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Suggesting my fingerprints are on the Rozner departure is flat out silly. The next conversation I have with Jimmy D about weekend shows will be the first. Furthermore, I have strong doubts Jimmy is involved in this. He's the market manager of all Chicago Entercom stations. The eagle doesn't hunt the fly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Rozner's niche- if he had one- was to fill in with Bernstein. He was a guy that Bernstein couldn't, or at least didn't, bully and he didn't slobber all over Dan's cock looking for his approval. That's unnecessary now that Bernstein has been neutered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
No major issues with Roz on the radio. I would agree that maybe it was too much when he was filling in so much during the weekdays. He's good at
the baseball chatter and in very small doses filling in from time to time. Nice to have a different voice from time to time and he didn't ruffle my sports
radio feathers too much other than the McGowan nonsense. Possibly one of the worst memes of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 am 

312player wrote:
I hated Rozner, he was awful. If Barry wasn't doing his McGowan impression he was talking about Greg Maddux. If Decastro can launch Larry and Julie the ratings gap will explode.

remember, Barry put his fandom away when he became a columnist decades ago. He has no rooting interest in the Cubs and Blackhawks, it just sounds like to everyone who hears him on the radio or reads his column.

A few have mentioned his entirely played out and never funny "Why do you hate Mc Gowannnnn" (even as he continues to earn a paycheck in the NFL years after). Let's not forget the equally annoying "you don't understand The Plan".

Much like Rosenbloom, whenever he was given an expanded role he proved himself to be an annoying douche. He's fine when he is compartmentalized.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 am 

Mac FM wrote:

I also am agitated at the source, Robert Feder. Neither Feder, nor Phil Rosenthal, Jeffrey Agrest & Jon Greenberg... nobody has written the truth about the "new Score." Jimmy de Castro was creamed for the changes on two shows in March and the already-successful morning show a couple months later. .

here?

The people were hailing DeCastro like a liberating army when he gelded Bernstein and all that his era of "smarter radio" entailed.

I think this is the healing stage for a lot of listeners after Bernstein's era as The Face of the Station. It had to happen as a response to the decadence of the North era but it wasn't pleasant to many of us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

You know the old joke about [insert U.S.-based NHL team], that there are only 15,000 fans in the city but they're there at every game? There were only 15,000 Jason Goff fans, but they were all Extremely Online. I don't think there was ever a more beloved host to local journalists, bloggers, and facebook commenters under 40. They took it so personally, like they themselves were the ones being repudiated. So I'm not surprised that coverage has been less than favorable, even with the strong ratings.

I mean what other host will tell you stories about how he got pulled over at 3am because he was black*.

*Black meaning cruising for gay sex.

apparently quite a few

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Thank you GD for bringing sanity back to this thread. Annoying/douche- accurate ways to describe this turd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 am 

Here is a suggestion out of left field for Hit and Run: Terry Boers

It seemed apparent that Terry was looking to get back in the game. He probably doesn't want to go full time. Give him a fairly low stress signature show. Baseball has always been his favorite sport. I think he would need some very strong producers and someone to drive on show day but I also think he would be an attraction to many listeners.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Here is a suggestion out of left field for Hit and Run: Terry Boers

It seemed apparent that Terry was looking to get back in the game. He probably doesn't want to go full time. Give him a fairly low stress signature show. Baseball has always been his favorite sport. I think he would need some very strong producers and someone to drive on show day but I also think he would be an attraction to many listeners.

That would be great if he were paired with a real baseball reporter. And one thing I know for sure, Terry knows who Zoilo Versalles is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:55 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Went to the first Hit and Run fantasy baseball draft and Barry could not have been nicer.

He was a lot of fun. We just sat there ripping on Spiegs picks and watching/talking golf.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Mac FM wrote:

I call BS. Own it. Mac was out to piss on his grave which is fine because I am not a huge fan of Rozner. When pressed by Parkins he pissed more. Unfortunately for me his credibility is shot. He comes out and says that McKnight is a great interview and gets to his point quickly. Which he kind of weaseled out of later. Then follows that up with not wanting to tell who he picked in a dead pool because it is uncomfortable. Bullshit. He is in a dead pool. Nobody gambling in dead pool is concerned about the morality of it. He didn’t want to reveal who he picked which he confirmed on another thread. He is far from honest. I thought I was always able to relate with him because he is just like the rest of us. Dealing with the same issues and vices that a lot of us idiots posting and listening deal with. I believe that he is just a lying, scheming, and conniving addict. Great pick by whoever took him in the dead pool. My dealing with friends and family with issues is that when they say they are being honest and trust them it is time to get away. I also have a hard time believing that he has not had any conversations or even input on decisions with on air talent. I do have to thank him for busting up Goff and Bernstein because that was unbearable. Haugh and McKnight are awful as well though. Maybe they will work out for the station but it doesn’t work for me. I won’t listen to those two any longer. I will catch M&P on the commute home but will listen less to a lying scumbag. Beating ESPN isn’t much to brag about. There isn’t anyone left over there that should have a radio show. I don’t understand why there wasn’t more of a bump with the Bears fever that was going on. A local sports talk station should have killed it but media is changing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Spiegs really on the muscle !!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Rozner was informative, not a personality. I'm not looking to get my haha's listening to guys talking about sports. I'm looking to hear something that I didn't know and keep up with the latest news. I love Mac, but Connor is unlistenable. He and Kap's Morning Zoo have driven me to the Dan Patrick show when I can find it. I get it...DeCastro is trying to create new stars. McNeil and Parkins is a fine show. Nothing earth shattering, but fine for what it is. The morning show is like watching Monday Night Football with Dan Dierdorf. Neutered Bernstein with Rozner would be 1000% better than what they have now. Someone there should realize that Connor needs help and needs to be produced, otherwise the 'New' Score will go the way of 'New' Coke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Sorry mac as someone whose 28 years old. Parkins is a joke and makes us younger guys look bad. Especially when it comes to baseball. As someone who has played high levels he embarrasses himself, but so does Jeff Pasan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 pm 

Who's 28, not whose 28. Can't stop the grammar dick' side effect of hash. My apologies. My 28-year-old son spells at 8th grade level but is bright, ambitious, loyal and funny... so I tell myself to stop giving a fuck.

In what way? Specifics please.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Parkins is fine. He'll either get there, or he will move to a less stressful national platform. He's not the best interviewer, he needs to listen better.

Some people on this board need to travel to other cities and try to listen to local sports talk. I am in Raleigh/Durham for three weeks and their afternoon show (Adam and Joe) here is decent because the guys have 10 years together and have a rhythm. But the quality of the show is better than Laurence but not better than what JD/Hood do on ESPN on the weekends. If they got plopped in 3pm-7pm in Chicago, even Waddle would double up on them ratings-wise.

For all the "oh, Chicago is the third biggest market, we should have local non-athletes folks developing" folks - Parkins is easily the best of the bunch.

Mac, what I like about you, going all the way back to hosting the occasional Friday night while producing COS and having to spar with Wild Bill on the phone, is that you are authentic. Good or bad. This is who you are, enjoy it or fuck off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Rozner is fine as a fill-in. Others are correct in that he wasn't a Bernstein ass-licker at a time when everyone else was. My problem was we got FULL-TIME Rozner during the time Terry was out sick. It got old cause he's not a someone interesting enough to be a FT host. That's always been my thought on Spiegel. He's fine as a fill-in, but FT host....hell no.

Rozner, Spiegel, and Grote are all very strong options as fill-in, but the station does not need 3 in that role.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:

Racist!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am 

It does look like Rozner, doesn’t it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 am 

denisdman wrote:
It does look like Rozner, doesn’t it?

Yeah I was teasing you related to the older gif controversy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Rozner on weekend baseball is good radio. He was fine with Bernstein, but those shows became dull after consecutive days.

Love the Terry Boers idea for hit and run.

I've been listening to mid-day show when I can and I feel like they are hitting their stride. The show is pretty damn funny.

I designed the grading and drainage at DeCastro's house a few years ago...building and patio addition.
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Rozner on weekend baseball is good radio. He was fine with Bernstein, but those shows became dull after consecutive days.

Love the Terry Boers idea for hit and run.

I've been listening to mid-day show when I can and I feel like they are hitting their stride. The show is pretty damn funny.

I designed the grading and drainage at DeCastro's house a few years ago...building and patio addition.
8)

That would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:06 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Parkins is fine. He'll either get there, or he will move to a less stressful national platform. He's not the best interviewer, he needs to listen better.

Some people on this board need to travel to other cities and try to listen to local sports talk. I am in Raleigh/Durham for three weeks and their afternoon show (Adam and Joe) here is decent because the guys have 10 years together and have a rhythm. But the quality of the show is better than Laurence but not better than what JD/Hood do on ESPN on the weekends. If they got plopped in 3pm-7pm in Chicago, even Waddle would double up on them ratings-wise.

For all the "oh, Chicago is the third biggest market, we should have local non-athletes folks developing" folks - Parkins is easily the best of the bunch.

Mac, what I like about you, going all the way back to hosting the occasional Friday night while producing COS and having to spar with Wild Bill on the phone, is that you are authentic. Good or bad. This is who you are, enjoy it or fuck off.

I've detailed the unlistenable sports radio I heard in Albaquerque. Alternatively, I think Detroit sports talk is very solid.

Look what NY, the originator of the format has offered to the nation. I think I would walk around pissed off about my station if Mike Francesca were its face. Mad dog sounds mentally slow. Boomer is as boring on radio as he is on TV.

I think we do OK in Chicago, not that I would settle for just OK as a programmer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Agreed Terry needs to get well and come back part time. Parkins is the epitome of boring. He's perfect for network CBS radio. Speigel (MHSPBGLHLG) posts are actually interesting, even though he's called me a pussy a couple times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
wdelaney72 wrote:
Rozner is fine as a fill-in. Others are correct in that he wasn't a Bernstein ass-licker at a time when everyone else was. My problem was we got FULL-TIME Rozner during the time Terry was out sick. It got old cause he's not a someone interesting enough to be a FT host. That's always been my thought on Spiegel. He's fine as a fill-in, but FT host....hell no.

Rozner, Spiegel, and Grote are all very strong options as fill-in, but the station does not need 3 in that role.

I keep forgetting about Spiegs as a fill-in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Look what NY, the originator of the format has offered to the nation. I think I would walk around pissed off about my station if Mike Francesca were its face. Mad dog sounds mentally slow. Boomer is as boring on radio as he is on TV.

Don't forget Don Imus, who was allowed to carry over his WNBC show for like 20 years and was the station's national face despite not even being in its format.

I wonder about Mike Francesa maybe occupying an archetype of sports fan that doesn't exist in Chicago the way it must in New York, and that's why we don't get him: a boring know-it-all dad type who is smug and condescending about his good fortune of liking the Yankees and Giants, seeing the Giants in particular as somehow more gentlemanly and honorable than all the other fat-guys-run-their-heads-into-each-other teams. MISTUH MARA. No one who cares about Chicago sports can ever be secure.

Haven't listened to any Detroit sports talk but I've always gotten the vibe that Detroit fans are better at all pulling in the same direction than Chicago fans are: no second baseball team to split loyalties, no hatred of hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:31 pm 

Mac FM wrote:
Suggesting my fingerprints are on the Rozner departure is flat out silly. The next conversation I have with Jimmy D about weekend shows will be the first. Furthermore, I have strong doubts Jimmy is involved in this. He's the market manager of all Chicago Entercom stations. The eagle doesn't hunt the fly.

LOL, nothing you've posted/said about doesn't make it sound like you're NOT pissing on his grave. Now pushing some grudge with that jock-sniffer Feder into the argument? E and yikes, dude.

I strongly dislike Rozner......from his incessant MCGOWAN schtick (for no apparent reason, ever) to his boring baseball thoughts, I've never cared for him. For a guy who filled in and did a show part of the year on the weekend,, he sure did speak with some incredible sense of self-importance. But hey, I'm not pissing his on his grave either, Mac :shock: