PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
rogers park bryan wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Parkins is fine when he's the shallow, weed smoking gambler he is at heart. That's what he is. Trying to score points by saying "the right side of history" is worse than pandering. It's stupid. History has no "right' side.

Im comfortable saying people who tried to deny basic civil rights to people based on their skin color were on the wrong side.

This completely misses the point.

If the point is that history is written by winners or we dont know how history will look back, he should say that. To say "history has no right side" is incorrect.

No, it is correct. History doesn't have a "right side." The "right side" is determined by the winners.

Morality doesnt exist?

That's all it really means. I can agree that people assuming they are on the right side at the time are full of shit and dont know but it exists.

Oh and it's not just the left. I see a lot of right side of history stuff in abortion debates, too. Even on this site.

If morality exists and is black-and-white, then shouldn't all these issues have been solved on day 1 based on our agreed-upon and universally accepted understanding of it? Why would we argue about capital punishment, for example, if there was a clear moral answer that everyone accepted? If capital punishment was deemed legal and was adopted in every state, would we say that those who always favored it were on the right side of history? I doubt it. There would still be many who disagreed with the practice. That's why there isn't a right side of history. That all depends on what a person's opinion is on various matters. It's a meaningless phrase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:

If morality exists and is black-and-white, then shouldn't all these issues have been solved on day 1 based on our agreed-upon and universally accepted understanding of it? Why would we argue about capital punishment, for example, if there was a clear moral answer that everyone accepted? If capital punishment was deemed legal and was adopted in every state, would we say that those who always favored it were on the right side of history? I doubt it. There would still be many who disagreed with the practice. That's why there isn't a right side of history. That all depends on what a person's opinion is on various matters. It's a meaningless phrase.

So because some things arent black and white then nothing is? Not sure about that.

Would you prefer people say "I believe you are wrong from a moral standpoint with your stance on this and history will not look back kindly on people with your postiion?"

That's all it is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
I would prefer they just argue their point without such ridiculous, arrogant, and inconceivable statements about how history will view their opinion. Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:01 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
I would prefer they just argue their point without such ridiculous, arrogant, and inconceivable statements about how history will view their opinion. Is that too much to ask?

Asking for no arrogance in political discussions? Yea, it probably is too much to ask to be honest.

I dont use right side of history, so no worries with me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Parkins is fine when he's the shallow, weed smoking gambler he is at heart. That's what he is. Trying to score points by saying "the right side of history" is worse than pandering. It's stupid. History has no "right' side.

Im comfortable saying people who tried to deny basic civil rights to people based on their skin color were on the wrong side.

You are missing the point. Try reading the entire post instead of making this into another racism is bad discussion. Do you think history is guaranteed to continue on the same trajectory? And do you think that some of the actions taken by social justice types today might be seen as counter productive in the future?

We have no idea of knowing. Saying this will certainly be judged well by history is something that some long forgotten Summarian priest said before his next human sacrifice as well.

I read your entire post. You said "history has no right side." You worded that poorly.

Now you appear to be saying, that we dont know what will end up being looked at as the right side. So it does exist, it's just not something we can predict.

It's not worded poorly at all. History is just recording human activity. The "right side" is putting some moralistic spin on it that is looking at the past from a modern perspective.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You are missing the point. Try reading the entire post instead of making this into another racism is bad discussion. Do you think history is guaranteed to continue on the same trajectory? And do you think that some of the actions taken by social justice types today might be seen as counter productive in the future?

We have no idea of knowing. Saying this will certainly be judged well by history is something that some long forgotten Summarian priest said before his next human sacrifice as well.

I read your entire post. You said "history has no right side." You worded that poorly.

Now you appear to be saying, that we dont know what will end up being looked at as the right side. So it does exist, it's just not something we can predict.

It's not worded poorly at all. History is just recording human activity. The "right side" is putting some moralistic spin on it that is looking at the past from a modern perspective.

I disagree.

History will decide which of us is right. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mac just yesterday said Jimmy D doesn't want politics on the score. Then today both m & p go full Bernstein saying they could do without national anthems at sporting events. I love the national anthem at games. Showing respect to our blessed country and it's military. I'm sure many like me immediately switched to Sirius or W & S. Thank god for podcasts to zero in on actual interesting topics or guests and not this fucking liberal bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I always find that strange. Is the anthem necessary of course not. Is it hurting anything either of course not. Many times people say if you don’t like it don’t listen for other things. Apply that here too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:22 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I like a lot of your takes, vitoscotti. this isn't among 'em.

My feeling the anthem is dated and unnecesary is not politically motivated. I love this country and have unwavering respect for those who served. I was forced to register in 1980 during the Iran hostage crisis and I was scared shitless. I don't know if I would have summoned enough courage to go.

I have contributed to Jeremy Roenick's Wounded Warriors, INVARIABLY buy beers and sandwiches for those who served at the Highland VFW on Kennedy Ave and I'm a semi-regular. My nephew, now in Seattle, did three tours in the Middle East and was in Korea. He's 36 and finished now. I have treated him like my own son in many ways since he was born and kiss his feet when I see him.

How about a more worthwhile cause. Instead of arguing anthems and those who chose to observe or not observe... let's eliminate politics and start to give a fuck about each other, irrespective of politics, color or faith.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 am 

Bravo Mac!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac FM wrote:

My feeling the anthem is dated and unnecesary is not politically motivated. I love this country and have unwavering respect for those who served. I was forced to register in 1980 during the Iran hostage crisis and I was scared shitless. I don't know if I would have summoned enough courage to go.

I have contributed to Jeremy Roenick's Wounded Warriors, INVARIABLY buy beers and sandwiches for those who served at the Highland VFW on Kennedy Ave and I'm a semi-regular. My nephew, now in Seattle, did three tours in the Middle East and was in Korea. He's 36 and finished now. I have treated him like my own son in many ways since he was born and kiss his feet when I see him.

How about a more worthwhile cause. Instead of arguing anthems and those who chose to observe or not observe... let's eliminate politics and start to give a fuck about each other, irrespective of politics, color or faith.

While I agree with your last sentence and applaud you Mac and you and probably Mully are the most "moderate" when it comes to political views on the score. But my God, check out the twitter feeds, sentiments of some of your colleagues. A lot of hate, venom inside them. They just seem miserable and seem determined to make others miserable.

Its just not twitter retweets or social media posts, its venom towards other outside of the bubble. Funny thing about bubbles.

Your station colleague Bernstein talks about and in his articles calls people in NW indiana and south of I-80 Goobers, rednecks, white trash, uneducated. When I was in my bubble in NYC, people hardly ever talked about Chicago for the only thing west of the Hudson was California, but when Chicago would come up...... they would call it a cow town, folksy mid-westerners, Goobers etc.

I wish your sentiment was shared, I personally only listen to Mully and Huagh and you and Parkins. While I think Parkins is extremely talented and has a bright future, I tune in for Mac. You got a good heart and it comes through the radio for what it is worth. And you make me laugh! Thanks Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am 

pittmike wrote:
Tad you picked up on something that has been good. Parkins and Mac have been going a bit more live with the text feedback both good and bad. I like it.

I'd like it if I didn't think half of it was made up (as are most of the "I'm hearing" and "don't be surprised" sources are at the station). At least if they're looking at Twitter, and claim "a lot of people are saying" those interested could take a peek to see if it's actually true and see the discussion there....as it is, it's an easy way to create disagreement/show fodder without having to actually have fan interaction.

I also agree with the notion that the problem with Sparkins angle on anything somewhat political is his holier-than-thou, gasping-out-of-disbelief, take on anyone/anything that disagrees with his "take". The only time a guy like that says "that's a good point, hadn't thought of that" is as a time-wasting segue so he can get back to lecturing, and repeating, whatever he just preached.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Sounds like the show today will be at least 80% Kaepernick talk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

Ignoring Reid and the lawyer commission.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:34 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

Is this the new show that everyone hate listens to now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I can’t believe they’re talking about a big story and not...uh...the AAF? Spring Training? Bulls? Hawks? Weird things they’ve eaten?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:47 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
I can’t believe they’re talking about a big story and not...uh...the AAF? Spring Training? Bulls? Hawks? Weird things they’ve eaten?

I am going to give Tad the benefit of the doubt that he gets this is the story of the day after it broke. It is February.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
KDdidit wrote:

I need a full breakdown of tomorrow's Arizona v. Memphis game. Memphis has an airplane on their helmet!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm 

Would prefer Kaep talk to an Addy press conference, that’s for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

That was bad but what do people expect? He is still open to a charge if he said too much. Statute of limitations not up yet. Lawyer speak.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm 

pittmike wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

That was bad but what do people expect? He is still open to a charge if he said too much. Statute of limitations not up yet. Lawyer speak.

It's not really that. I have yearly posts complaining about 670 and 1000's excessive need to carry live sports press conferences, despite the fact 99% of them are completely uninteresting and a waste of time. If god forbid something of note happens have the beat guy break in or report it after it's over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Press conferences are bad radio. For something that's essentially just talking heads, it doesn't make good audio content at all (unless you do what Bernstein did and spam them with funny drops, MST3K-style). Maybe they're not good TV, either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:45 pm 

Both right. Pressers bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
who cares what anyone thinks on "worldly topics." Everyone sounds obnoxious. especially everyone on this board. including me. and me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Monicals
Mac FM wrote:

I was "forced" to register for the draft at that same time and the only thing I was "scared shitless" about was that I was a day late in doing it. Then I never thought about it again, until my mother -- for some reason -- dug up the draft registration papers I brought home (I never served in military, BTW), which had me wondering: are 18 year olds still "forced" to register? I asked a couple of my nephews and they had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out, in most states, young males are quietly and automatically registered for the draft when they apply for a drivers license, to vote or a number of other things (I believe college applications trigger it in some places).

There's very little reason to be scared shitless TODAY about the draft. To the best of my knowledge, the US military is perfectly fine with its all volunteer force. Since Vietnam the draft has been nothing more that a preparatory administrative step in case of an unthinkable emergency.

The National Anthem is just a Sports Tradition and not just here in the US. Canada does it. They do it at the Olympics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Monicals
Tad Queasy wrote:

Parkins seemed really excited when he believe Kaepernick had received a "massive" settlement at the upper end of the 8 figures range. I wonder if he responded as enthusiastically this morning when it was suggested the actual amount was likely much, much less:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kaepernick-set ... 08097.html