PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Younger people don’t listen GD.

Look at the 670 twitter account.

Barely any comments or retweets.

ACCEPT IT!!!!

I do accept it but it isn't like young people are thinking, Mc Neil sucks and Goff was great so I've lost my interest in the Score.

Post subject: Re: Goff Effect Breeze
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Younger people don’t listen GD.

Look at the 670 twitter account.

Barely any comments or retweets.

ACCEPT IT!!!!

I do accept it but it isn't like young people are thinking, Mc Neil sucks and Goff was great so I've lost my interest in the Score.

pull up the ratings

even dicaro dominates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Interesting discussion of social media participation vis-a-vis demographics. There are however quite a few old geezers like myself that still consume the product on a somewhat regular basis and many of us are rapidly approaching a period in our lives when we will once again have time to pursue more leisure time activities, so it would seem there will be an ongoing market for the station in some form. Many of my younger colleagues do mainly consume statistical based content due to the proliferation of fantasy leagues, but they seem to enjoy it when I interject a little old school score ball busting into the discussion. This type of disagreement is foreign to them, but in my aged brain is a necessary part of the sand box that is sports fandom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I and many more listen online. I would love to see the numbers they show the ad buyers for Radio.com.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I have not listened because it is summer(just baseball creates extremely slow sports). I honestly dont listen to much sports radio.

I used to think the opposite, if teams are unsuccessful locally, you "hate listen" or whatever you wanna call it, but apathy does set in.

Exhibit A are the Chicago Bulls. I would rather listne to my satellite radio with Mad Dog, The herd, so many other podcasts than hear Bulls talk.

The only team that I do like to listen about local stuff are the Bears during the football season. I wills say this, when OB and Doug were at their peak, after a loss they were radio gold.

As for as Parkins and Mac, I personally just don't find them interesting. I liked Mac going into it, but don't see them meshing.

I thought Parkins at the beginning was great, but I think he is just kinda meh right now. Kind of a bland show so don't listen. Berstein and McKnight I have not listened to a second in forever and that is really it.

I do like Silvy, I find him to be sincere. Waddle just seems like "my sh#t dont stink" kinda guy.

Hell driving at night, I think I have listend to Les more than anyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I also liked Parkins at first. I still do but I get the sense he’s not happy with Mac. The show is in the horse latitudes. Hopefully either Mac gets the fire back or Parkins takes the wheel and gets the show going where he wants it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 am 

I lost interest after B&B went away. What a great show that was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I'm still listening. It's a good show and 90% of show posts on this board are to complain about something someone said. This show leaves little to complain about. For the first time in years, 670 is burying 1000 in the afternoons. Mac is the king of Chicago sports talk. Long live the king.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

B&B stopped being a great show in 2011 Pre-Penn State B&B was fantastic though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

B&B stopped being a great show in 2011 Pre-Penn State B&B was fantastic though

Terry lost his fastball. Which is understandable considering the health problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Some of the Bannon/Seinfeld effect is reducing my listening to this show. I used to listen to transition on my way back from lunch and thus, after work, my radio was on 670. I never listen to Larry so now when I get in the car my radio isn't on 670 anymore and I simply forget to tune in oftentimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Not just this show, but if I'm in my car and want to listen in, it's 20 minutes of commercials an hour.

In general, too many shows use their shows for social justice/liberalism and, even if they were interested in having more of that sort of thought, why not have some balance? Every host on the Score is way far left. Maybe having some who aren't afraid of having more conservative views would help regulate the ultra liberal stuff that has come up in the past. I also don't like the political talk because having a microphone doesn't make you an expert - these guys are not smart enough to hold a political conversation and get their talking points from MSNBC or AOC.

As far as topics, I don't care for much of the 'entertainment' options that Mac has. I love some of the same movies, etc., but don't need weekly reviews of Rounders. I've seen it, most people in his audience have probably also seen it. There just isn't much being talked about that is interesting for 'guy talk' if they are just doing 80's things to appease Mac.

Parkins should feel more comfortable talking Bulls. In the past, he seems apologetic if he wants to even mention something NBA related, much less spend actual time. I am hoping (but not expecting) more NBA talk. The league is fun an interesting. I'd love a few segments a week around Bulls/NBA, but we're not likely to get much of anything.

I'd enjoy mostly NFL talk. It doesn't (and shouldn't be) just Bears talk.

They are going to talk gambling, which I'm fine with, especially during NFL season, but hoping they are educated enough vs. just a team 'is due' or not liking certain players, etc.

In general, would like more national guests vs. local ones. I don't think the local ones offer a ton of value.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
BD wrote:
Not just this show, but if I'm in my car and want to listen in, it's 20 minutes of commercials an hour.

In general, too many shows use their shows for social justice/liberalism and, even if they were interested in having more of that sort of thought, why not have some balance? Every host on the Score is way far left. Maybe having some who aren't afraid of having more conservative views would help regulate the ultra liberal stuff that has come up in the past. I also don't like the political talk because having a microphone doesn't make you an expert - these guys are not smart enough to hold a political conversation and get their talking points from MSNBC or AOC.

As far as topics, I don't care for much of the 'entertainment' options that Mac has. I love some of the same movies, etc., but don't need weekly reviews of Rounders. I've seen it, most people in his audience have probably also seen it. There just isn't much being talked about that is interesting for 'guy talk' if they are just doing 80's things to appease Mac.

Parkins should feel more comfortable talking Bulls. In the past, he seems apologetic if he wants to even mention something NBA related, much less spend actual time. I am hoping (but not expecting) more NBA talk. The league is fun an interesting. I'd love a few segments a week around Bulls/NBA, but we're not likely to get much of anything.

They are going to talk gambling, which I'm fine with, especially during NFL season, but hoping they are educated enough vs. just a team 'is due' or not liking certain players, etc.

In general, would like more national guests vs. local ones. I don't think the local ones offer a ton of value.

I agree with most of this.

The short hand version of what you just said, in my words, is That while Mac is a certified legend in this town, he no longer has interesting, insightful sports takes on the ready. And his version of guy banter does not mesh well with Parkins’ which isn’t Mac’s fault, but it does drag down the show as a whole.

I got into the car earlier this week when Jed Hoyer was on...and no exaggeration, Parkins asked 4 questions in a row, and I just assumed Parkins was flying solo....but then as Hoyer was leaving Mac chimed in with an attempt at humor. I went back later and listened to the full interview, mostly because I wanted to hear the whole thing, but also because I wanted to see if Mac really took that much of a backseat or if I missed a few of his questions. But my first impression was correct, Parkins drove the interview and nearly tripled Macs questions. I’ve noticed this fairly often in the past.

I really enjoyed Mac at ESPN 1000 and during the Spiegel years at the score but he’s so obviously coasting and the show is like C+ at best.

Shepkowski struggles to string sentences together but you can tell when he fills in for Mac, or Spiegel or Grote, that Parkins finds those pairings more engaging, which makes for a better listen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:36 pm 

Mac has said that he is comfortable letting parkins drive things ....that doesn't mean mac is coasting
I dont see how you could enjoy mac with meatpants....that was the worst he has been.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Seems like it's the same ol' story with Mac, he's either checked out or not interested. He probably has ADD and is thinking, "I wouldn't mind having a gig now where I'm spinning records and talking music."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Mac has said that he is comfortable letting parkins drive things ....that doesn't mean mac is coasting
I dont see how you could enjoy mac with meatpants....that was the worst he has been.

Drive the show is one thing. He comes across disinterested.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:00 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Drive the show is one thing. He comes across disinterested.

I think that is just because we are so used to mac driving. I think he has come off way more engaged than his time with meatpants.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Crick Ramp wrote:
BD wrote:

I agree with most of this.

The short hand version of what you just said, in my words, is That while Mac is a certified legend in this town, he no longer has interesting, insightful sports takes on the ready. And his version of guy banter does not mesh well with Parkins’ which isn’t Mac’s fault, but it does drag down the show as a whole.

I got into the car earlier this week when Jed Hoyer was on...and no exaggeration, Parkins asked 4 questions in a row, and I just assumed Parkins was flying solo....but then as Hoyer was leaving Mac chimed in with an attempt at humor. I went back later and listened to the full interview, mostly because I wanted to hear the whole thing, but also because I wanted to see if Mac really took that much of a backseat or if I missed a few of his questions. But my first impression was correct, Parkins drove the interview and nearly tripled Macs questions. I’ve noticed this fairly often in the past.

I really enjoyed Mac at ESPN 1000 and during the Spiegel years at the score but he’s so obviously coasting and the show is like C+ at best.

Shepkowski struggles to string sentences together but you can tell when he fills in for Mac, or Spiegel or Grote, that Parkins finds those pairings more engaging, which makes for a better listen

I do think Mac is still a solid listen, but I think he's still an easy listen because he doesn't take everything so seriously. I definitely don't listen for his opinions and Parkins is definitely more likely to have a strong (and/or stupid) opinion.

If Parkins is really driving, I wish he would be more comfortable, and avoid being apologetic, about NBA talk this upcoming season. I haven't noticed Mac being quiet on interviews as you did, but didn't hear the Hoyer interview.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm sure Mac would love some modern NBA talk and could jump right in with his thoughts on Kevin Durant feuding with upstart soundcloud rapper "Lil Mr Pibb"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I don't get the "Mac is coasting" narrative. He's changed, sure (but don't we all?). I still find him to be an entertaining listen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm sure Mac would love some modern NBA talk and could jump right in with his thoughts on Kevin Durant feuding with upstart soundcloud rapper "Lil Mr Pibb"

It wouldn't happen until he's long gone, but I'm still holding out for some "woke" idiot host to refer to him as a racist for not liking the NBA, liking the NHL and living in Indiana. If he was a caller with that profile, he'd be labeled pretty quickly by most of the hosts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
I don't get the "Mac is coasting" narrative. He's changed, sure (but don't we all?). I still find him to be an entertaining listen.

I don't think he's coasting, I do think he's entertaining because of his care-free attitude, not because of his knowledge/opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
When Mac drives the show they tend to get into and out of topics quickly. Questions to guests are concise and direct, there seems to be a trend with many hosts to use questions to guests as a forum to prove how smart they are by formulating convoluted questions. Really do enjoy Mac during football season and it makes me wonder if WSCR would be better off rotating hosts like they did during the initial days of the afternoon show. You could have Terry do a few days during baseball season, Mac for the fall/winter. Kind of like a score emeritus lineup you see in some places where they want expertise of older workers, but realize they no longer have the motivation to do the job on a day to day basis.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
When Mac drives the show they tend to get into and out of topics quickly. Questions to guests are concise and direct, there seems to be a trend with many hosts to use questions to guests as a forum to prove how smart they are by formulating convoluted questions. Really do enjoy Mac during football season and it makes me wonder if WSCR would be better off rotating hosts like they did during the initial days of the afternoon show. You could have Terry do a few days during baseball season, Mac for the fall/winter. Kind of like a score emeritus lineup you see in some places where they want expertise of older workers, but realize they no longer have the motivation to do the job on a day to day basis.

Terry for a few days during any season consistently is not an upgrade. It’s like when an NFL or NBA team hire a known re-tread instead of taking a risk on an up an comer.

The Score needs fresh voices.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Clawmaster wrote:

McKnight and Bernstein constantly do this in their interviews.

I like the creative idea of having some older workers do some days or segments but it needs to be as a 3rd man. Boers became a really tough listen his last few years. I didn't think the shows were that good when he subbed for Parkins earlier this summer but he would be great doing a few hours with Parkins and Mac. Some of the best radio I heard all year was when Mac, Boers, and Bernstein all shared a segment. Do that for a couple days and I would definitely listen. Currently, Mac, Parkins, and Spiegel sound great when the 3 of them are together and they should do more of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:44 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Terry for a few days during any season consistently is not an upgrade. It’s like when an NFL or NBA team hire a known re-tread instead of taking a risk on an up an comer.

PRODUCERS SHOULD BE SEEN, AND NOT HEARD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:29 pm 

Radio Programmer wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Caps lock should be for capitalization, and not sentences.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:13 am 

Radio Programmer wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

some have on air talent but this should be the rule. There should be no expectation of on air spots as a promotion for producers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:14 am 

Franky T wrote:

This is my thoughts. Mac is a radio buddy far more than anyone else at that station.