It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That's because we're just mediocre white dudes.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I'm just guessing here. But I would say there are 4x the amount of cars on the road from 4-6 then there are from 12-2. That might be a little low.

that may be true, but you are assuming everyone is listening to Sports radio.

:roll:

Yes. Obviously.

800,000 cars on the road at 5pm and 10% of them are listening to sports radio.

200,000 cars on the road at 1pm and 10% of them are listening to sports radio.

Doesn't that mean there are more total listeners at 5pm then at 1pm? Thus more ad revenue. Thus more money for the drive time hosts.

I didn't think this was complicated.

I thought you were smart, Doug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I'm just guessing here. But I would say there are 4x the amount of cars on the road from 4-6 then there are from 12-2. That might be a little low.

Yes. Obviously.

Doesn't that mean there are more total listeners at 5pm then at 1pm? Thus more ad revenue. Thus more money for the drive time hosts.

Excellent point, whistler.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:01 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
While talking about wanting to take the show to Denver for Rockies/Cubs next season, Mac mentioned on the show yesterday that someone has a contract coming up before next baseball season, referring to himself I believe.

If he doesn't re-sign and ESPN goes the direction of the OP, I could see a line-up where Parkins and Bernstein do drive-time with Kaplan coming over and doing 9-Noon on the Cubs flagship. That leaves McKnight doing pre and post game for the Iowa Cubs. Just 3am acid reflux ramblings...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
August Schell wrote:
While talking about wanting to take the show to Denver for Rockies/Cubs next season, Mac mentioned on the show yesterday that someone has a contract coming up before next baseball season, referring to himself I believe.

If he doesn't re-sign and ESPN goes the direction of the OP, I could see a line-up where Parkins and Bernstein do drive-time with Kaplan coming over and doing 9-Noon on the Cubs flagship. That leaves McKnight doing pre and post game for the Iowa Cubs. Just 3am acid reflux ramblings...

This would be great

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Beardown wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yes. Obviously.

we could probably figure this out based on ratings and average daily traffic counts.

keep being an ass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tad Queasy wrote:
The rumor of AM1000 going with all national programming, with the exception of Waddle and Silvy, has been floating around for years. I guess it might eventually come true at some point.

Parkins and Bernstein would be insufferable.
Mac and Jurko would be terrible. Jurko makes everything worse.

Parkins and Jurko would be entertaining because it would make Parkins miserable. I wouldn't listen much, but that would nice.
Mac and Bernstein has the potential to be entertaining, at least for a while. The open could be Bernstein's speech about what a great day it was for the station the last time Mac left.

Jurko does make everything worse. He's a throwback to the way radio sounded 15 years ago and is an annoying listen in 2019. Outside of Mulli (I think Mac has changed somewhat with the times), WSCR doesn't really have anyone that sounds like that, so I don't see them moving in the Jurko direction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
The rumor of AM1000 going with all national programming, with the exception of Waddle and Silvy, has been floating around for years. I guess it might eventually come true at some point.

Parkins and Bernstein would be insufferable.
Mac and Jurko would be terrible. Jurko makes everything worse.

Parkins and Jurko would be entertaining because it would make Parkins miserable. I wouldn't listen much, but that would nice.
Mac and Bernstein has the potential to be entertaining, at least for a while. The open could be Bernstein's speech about what a great day it was for the station the last time Mac left.

Jurko does make everything worse. He's a throwback to the way radio sounded 15 years ago and is an annoying listen in 2019. Outside of Mulli (I think Mac has changed somewhat with the times), WSCR doesn't really have anyone that sounds like that, so I don't see them moving in the Jurko direction.

Mac certainly isn’t a buffoon like Jurko but he does gasp for breaths from time to time like the dumb kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Crick Ramp wrote:
Mac certainly isn’t a buffoon like Jurko but he does gasp for breaths from time to time like the dumb kid
Seems like you are no stranger to breathing thru your mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:45 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Seems like you are no stranger to breathing thru your mouth.

I do on occasion yes. But that really was hilarious. Keep em coming.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I thought Beardown was a lifelong sports radio guy. How can he be that clueless about how many radios at any one time have sports radio on.

Nowhere near 10%.

1% might be close.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 am 

I thought there was an industry estimate posted here a few years ago that at peak listening the Score is getting 5-10K. That is pretty sobering how short the actual reach is of the format.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Parkins and Bernstein....god, no. Just no.

Hell, if WMVP did go full national except Waddle & Silvy, a Parkins and Bernstein pairing might get beaten in middays by LeBatard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
I thought there was an industry estimate posted here a few years ago that at peak listening the Score is getting 5-10K. That is pretty sobering how short the actual reach is of the format.

What are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Measuring AM radio ratings seems to be an inexact science. Listening over the years there have been times where they ran Heavenly Bodies ads non-stop, those must have been times when rating dropped to a level which made the station an undesirable place for car dealerships and national advertisers. Streaming numbers are obviously more accurate, but this must be a harder sell because you hear the same ads over and over when you stream. Will the legacy radio brands be able to successfully navigate the transition from AM radio transmission to a totally streamed product? Legacy print media brands are going through this process with some success, but struggle with ways to attract digital subscribers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This would be disappointing, if it comes to fruition. I much prefer the local shows, focusing on Chicago teams. The worst thing suggested in this thread, is that Waddle and Silvy would be the only local show. Silvy is great. Underrated for sure. But the next original thought Waddle has will be his first. He repeats himself over and over and the whole Waddle's World thing is a crock. His producers come up with all the material for that segment and he just sifts through what they give him and chooses what he likes best. Waddles Producers World would be more accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

Call 'Get Up with your riveting FORT KNOX joke!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

What are you talking about?

Dropping dolphin turds in people’s summer homes. Yeah for real.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
This would be disappointing, if it comes to fruition. I much prefer the local shows, focusing on Chicago teams. The worst thing suggested in this thread, is that Waddle and Silvy would be the only local show. Silvy is great. Underrated for sure. But the next original thought Waddle has will be his first. He repeats himself over and over and the whole Waddle's World thing is a crock. His producers come up with all the material for that segment and he just sifts through what they give him and chooses what he likes best. Waddles Producers World would be more accurate.

Waddle is so milquetoast and corporate, listening to him is like listening to any athlete describe a win or loss after a game; you learn nothing and everything said was totally predictable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogar6 wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Waddle is so milquetoast and corporate, listening to him is like listening to any athlete describe a win or loss after a game; you learn nothing and everything said was totally predictable.

Even if Waddle's World were entertaining, listening to him butcher the reading of the stories is brutal. It is rare for him to cleanly read more than a sentence or two without tripping over his words or otherwise screwing it up. He's as bad as Anita Padilla is at her job, but not as physically repulsive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
rogar6 wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Even if Waddle's World were entertaining, listening to him butcher the reading of the stories is brutal. It is rare for him to cleanly read more than a sentence or two without tripping over his words or otherwise screwing it up. He's as bad as Anita Padilla is at her job, but not as physically repulsive.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic when you can't tell people about "your world" without getting tongue tied every 30 seconds. What WAS actually funny, was when they had Waddle VS Jurko in trivia years ago. It began with Waddle playing from home and he dominated Jurko, as he constantly stalled, while he looked things up on his computer. jurko and the listeners (I called in about it one day) called him out on it and Jurko insisted that Waddle have to play in studio, so they moved the time of the game to just before transition and what do you know.....Waddle was instantly dominated by Jurko in the game and quickly decided to discontinue playing the game after losing in a landslide a few weeks straight and having people (like me) point out what a difference there was in the results once reference materials were no longer at hand for Waddle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
W & S best thing. Parkins alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
(I called in about it one day)