It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Started listening the first week the station launched, so remembered many of the sound bites played today. It's really striking how all the stuff is old and that apparently nothing worth replaying has happened on the station in the past 10 years. Has the talent digressed that much over the years or is it due to the refusal to ask any difficult questions in order to maintain relationships with local teams?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
No team affiliations was a big part of it. North was a big part of their success and his type isn't on sports talk anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It is funny Matt how it changed. Like all radio it is super corporate but being beholden to teams is big too. IMHO twitter hurts it a ton.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:27 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
No team affiliations was a big part of it. North was a big part of their success and his type isn't on sports talk anymore.

Listened from day 1, still do. Just so vanilla these days. Great 40 minutes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
It is funny Matt how it changed. Like all radio it is super corporate but being beholden to teams is big too. IMHO twitter hurts it a ton.

It does.

The voice of the fan is what made it great.

I don't listen daily anymore. I miss the old stuff.

Dot com dot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Dot com dot.

That was great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Terry's Peeps wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It does.

The voice of the fan is what made it great.

I don't listen daily anymore. I miss the old stuff.

Dot com dot.

You nean Dot com dot mob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:00 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:

Interesting how they used to make fun of the "corporate" CBS sports minutes they were "forced" to play during the day, but now all the shows sound basically like long form CBS sports minutes. They belittle guys like North, Murphy, and Francesa, but have relied on all of them for content over the years. These guys all brought oddly entertaining and unique content, so much different from the cookie cutter crap you hear today where everyone must have the exact same thoughts on everything. Also found it interesting when Parkins brought up the use of analytics to Rivera and Rivera brought up the fact that the analytics do not take into account the variables taking place during a particular time and how Rivera asked the analytics guy who was accountable if the analytics say one thing and you lose the game. Thought Parkins was gonna start crying because his entire and the scores entire narrative as the "smart fans station" was dismissed when a dose of reality was brought into the equation.
|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Dot com dot
The sound of the plates breaking
Happy birthday, Mike

They all had me dying :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Dot com dot
The sound of the plates breaking
Happy birthday, Mike

They all had me dying :lol: :lol:

I was amazed at how many clips guys like Parkins and Tanny didn't know the story behind. Like the North-Pat Riley one and the Bryan Cox ones.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
How ironic to have Mac as one of the hosts playing Score edgy vault clips. When you compare his then and now. When the Score had the Sox his complaining about it then was on auto pilot. Now he has to be a company man going soft on guys like Jason Heyward interviews and be one of them he so detested.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
was an enjoyable listen and worth podcasting the last hour.

the plate breaking one wasnt funny at first, but hearing how thorughly and the reasons behind why Mac loved it so much got me to appreciate it more after the 10th play. Ironically the best clip of the bunch was not a vault one but rather a recent recording that just hadnt aired before from wanny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am 

billypootons wrote:

the plate breaking one wasnt funny at first, but hearing how thorughly and the reasons behind why Mac loved it so much got me to appreciate it more after the 10th play. Ironically the best clip of the bunch was not a vault one but rather a recent recording that just hadnt aired before from wanny

I'll need to listen to that podcast. I remember the plate drop and the reason it is so funny is because it showed how disingenuous North was.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Interesting how they used to make fun of the "corporate" CBS sports minutes they were "forced" to play during the day, but now all the shows sound basically like long form CBS sports minutes. They belittle guys like North, Murphy, and Francesa, but have relied on all of them for content over the years. These guys all brought oddly entertaining and unique content, so much different from the cookie cutter crap you hear today where everyone must have the exact same thoughts on everything. Also found it interesting when Parkins brought up the use of analytics to Rivera and Rivera brought up the fact that the analytics do not take into account the variables taking place during a particular time and how Rivera asked the analytics guy who was accountable if the analytics say one thing and you lose the game. Thought Parkins was gonna start crying because his entire and the scores entire narrative as the "smart fans station" was dismissed when a dose of reality was brought into the equation.
|

5+ years ago Bernstein was interviewing Sale and asked him about pitching w/l stat hoping to lead him down the road to Bernstein's desired answer that it was irrelevant. Sale said the opposite. I think he tried it with someone like Smoltz at a later date with the same results.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am 

I don't think more recent Score listeners understand what we had in The Score during the golden era, nor how fiercely loyal its listenership was.

That loyalty is essentially the genesis of this board. This place originally was pretty favorable to the shows and each day part would generate a multiple page listening thread.

The station was must listen radio back in those days. They truly were the voice of the fan with no loyalty to any organization in town, just pure, unadulterated honest feelings. The feelings weren't always well thought out, but they were genuine. The fans loved largely loved the hosts and the hosts largely loved the fans. I've said it before but North hosted Score events for listeners AT HIS HOUSE. Can you imagine something like that from these dilettantes hosting shows today?

Now I'm going to get myself angry thinking about how the Bernstein FOTS era of the Score flipped that dynamic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am 

good dolphin wrote:
billypootons wrote:

I'll need to listen to that podcast. I remember the plate drop and the reason it is so funny is because it showed how disingenuous North was.

:lol:

It's just as good as I remember it listening to it live.

Ditka with the "whoops" and Jiggs with the "Oh man".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I had forgotten about Payton's "Don't call me Wally" to Murph...classic.

I was hoping they would have played some of North's name mangling (Jaromir Jaguire, Jeff Hornasack, Anderson Vara A hole)

Some of the old commercial spots would have been great too ("they throw the strippers at ya!")

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why did North say ‘let’s give her a helping you know what’. I assumed he meant let’s give her a helping hand but why did he censor it? Was he trying to say something else?! It’s slippery over dere!!! I’m gonna use that all winter now and literally no one will know what I’m talking about hahahahaha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Why did North say ‘let’s give her a helping you know what’. I assumed he meant let’s give her a helping hand but why did he censor it? Was he trying to say something else?! It’s slippery over dere!!! I’m gonna use that all winter now and literally no one will know what I’m talking about hahahahaha

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Parkins said he gave the ok to play the Wanny dot com dot commercial read clip. How would he have the say in it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
I thought Parkins was odd during the segment. He forced himself into the conversation way too much. He should have let Mac run the show and stay in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
this bit fell flat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:
Parkins said he gave the ok to play the Wanny dot com dot commercial read clip. How would he have the say in it?

I thought it was Wanny who had to approve since it was really more of an out-take or practice read that never aired.

I agree with Doug-EP that it didn't quite live up to expectations. Mac mentioned that people were texting that they were sitting in their driveways in anticipation...the sad thing is that phenomenon was VERY common back in the early Score days. There were countless times I wouldn't get out of my car for fear of missing something. Couldn't tell you the last time that happened (though technology has admittedly made it easy to go back).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:27 pm 

I thought it was pretty good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:08 am 

I was blown away by the fact the Mike North/Pat Riley "hair question" was 22 years ago! Seems
like yesterday. I remember one of the other question options listeners could vote was something
regarding Fred Flintstone :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Sarge wrote:
I was blown away by the fact the Mike North/Pat Riley "hair question" was 22 years ago! Seems
like yesterday. I remember one of the other question options listeners could vote was something

If I remember correctly the question that won the contest was, "If Fred Flinstone knew the ribs would tip over the car, why did he always order them?" North changed the question on the fly to the shaving the head one.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Harvard Dan wrote:
Sarge wrote:

If I remember correctly the question that won the contest was, "If Fred Flinstone knew the ribs would tip over the car, why did he always order them?" North changed the question on the fly to the shaving the head one.

That was a great moment for North. He perfectly lampooned the ultra-serious, "Look-how-cool-I-am" buffoon Pat Riley.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Sarge wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot it had won. Probably switched the question to have some
semblance of sports, to keep it "legitimate" and all...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 am 

FukNuggitt wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
Sarge wrote:

That was a great moment for North. He perfectly lampooned the ultra-serious, "Look-how-cool-I-am" buffoon Pat Riley.

Stuff like that was what made the station entertaining. Goofs like North and Mac making fun of the ultra serious columnists and team executives. Years later the station is full of hosts that see themselves as the gatekeepers for the smart fans station. Today, the call screeners/producers wouldn't even let a call through from someone like North. Every once in a while Mac will reference the need to sound like a neighborhood saloon, not taking sports too seriously, but the only way they do that with the current hosts is to replay bits from 20 years ago or have Terry on for a segment. Seems that the nature of culture would begin rebelling from the current SJW/politically correct mindset into something different, you can see the seeds of this change being planted by comedians. The current climate where everyone is offended by everything and the Kardashian's are looked at as cultural barometers is mind numbingly boring.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The Wanny thing was on yesterday and he seemed fine and all played it off good.