It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mac Parkins & Spiegs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Could someone please pay 7th Heaven to go away?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Their 30 songs in 30 minutes is the best thing in the suburbs all Summer long, I turn
into "festival man" following them around when they are close by me. :lol:

Then you most like "pretend live music". Once upon a time, they were a very good band. At some point over the last 5 years, they got really lazy and went all in on the pre-recorded tracks. It's horrible. The sad thing is, they have no shortage of good musicianship. it's just lazy and fake. Their singer's former band (dot dot dot).....they were fantastic. I miss them.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:29 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Their 30 songs in 30 minutes is the best thing in the suburbs all Summer long, I turn

Why would anybody "follow around" a cover band?

I do not know, but it's pretty common with women 45 and up :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
We saw "Great Moments in Vinyl" perform The Who/Who's Next last weekend. They were really good. Becoming a specific band for a night (and doing it well) requires a pretty talented and flexible group. I see they're doing Rush/Moving Pictures next month. Could be worth checking out.

Checked out the video of some of that on YouTube. I'm a big Who fan and that would have been pretty cool. Also saw they are doing The Stranger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
MPS interviewed Heyward and it was extremely generic. His lack of productivity was only touched on using his shift to center and leadoff. That doesn't explain the previous 3 years and postseason.

Then at the end of the show Grote joined them for transition. Grote posed the question, " Does Heyward's defense and intangibles give him a pardon for not living up to his 8 year/$184 million contract?" Da?

"Mr Baseball" Speigel- We're getting a lot of texts (Peoria Matt) that Heyward is an impressive guy, but wish he was better. Both thoughts can live together. Does that make sense? Don't laugh at the rain delay speech.
Parkins- If the result is a championship, every move up to that can be justified. He was a 2 (near 200 ranking position players) war player last year. He's a little overpayed. He's not a bad baseball player. Speigel chimes in "No!" 5 time gold glover.(Not '18 and '19)
Mac- Great? (directed at his 2 partners). There's no way I can justify a $180 million contract for one of the best defensive outfielders in team history. The offense in NO WAY has been good enough to say that was a good signing...no way did he earn that money. Then Speigel brings up the speech again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:25 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
BigW72 wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I think to be able to be in a working band at 50 or near 50 is sort of cool. Making money out of it rather than spending money on it is even better.

Not sure how it works in PA, Mike, but the cover band scene in the Chicagoland-area is something. I can count maybe 20 bands in the area where this is their Full-time job. Particularly in the summer festival seasons, these bands make a lot of money for playing other people's music. I know for a fact Sixteen Candles (yep, you guessed it....80's songs) doesn't get out of bed for less than $8,000 per show. That amount may be even higher by now.

I'm not hating....many of these cover bands are very good at what they do and are pretty cool people. I just shake my head in that a township / city forks out that kind of money to people who professionally play other people's music. Crazy.

Tributosaurus is very good. I don't think Spiegel is at the level of some of the other cover bands, but would imagine they make decent money.

I don’t see too many here. A pretty good Zep one comes through and there is a semi national Springsteen one that is out of this world. I mentioned a fry of mine plays in three different Chicago area cover specialty bands I don’t doubt the money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Gina Gonzalez is awesome. We saw her at Charlie's in Grayslake a couple weekends ago. She's played at Tighthead for their Hoptober fest and the Mundelein Munch with the Wingmen a few years ago. She's also in the Lt. Dan Band with Gary Sinise.

Three of the dot dot dot guys (including Adam) were all in The Fabulous Janes back in the early 2000s. They were a fun 115 Bourbon Street cover band.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:59 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
MPS interviewed Heyward and it was extremely generic. His lack of productivity was only touched on using his shift to center and leadoff. That doesn't explain the previous 3 years and postseason.

Then at the end of the show Grote joined them for transition. Grote posed the question, " Does Heyward's defense and intangibles give him a pardon for not living up to his 8 year/$184 million contract?" Da?

"Mr Baseball" Speigel- We're getting a lot of texts (Peoria Matt) that Heyward is an impressive guy, but wish he was better. Both thoughts can live together. Does that make sense? Don't laugh at the rain delay speech.
Parkins- If the result is a championship, every move up to that can be justified. He was a 2 (near 200 ranking position players) war player last year. He's a little overpayed. He's not a bad baseball player. Speigel chimes in "No!" 5 time gold glover.(Not '18 and '19)
Mac- Great? (directed at his 2 partners). There's no way I can justify a $180 million contract for one of the best defensive outfielders in team history. The offense in NO WAY has been good enough to say that was a good signing...no way did he earn that money. Then Speigel brings up the speech again.

you wonder whether they are being a good corporate partner or really believe these thoughts

I don't think even a Cub exec would make the argument that Heyward was a good signing. He got worse at every facet of the game since he joined the Cubs. Even worse, Theo anticipated him being a full time CF when he signed him.

Throw The Speech in the pile of Chicago sports bullshit with Bear Weather. Anyone who has ever played baseball can tell you that you cannot inspire a player into playing a great game like you might with football.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Most good athletes can develop into solid corner outfielders if they work at it because they have the speed to run down/cut off balls hit in the alleys. The real issue with Heyward is lack of offensive production, you would think there are likely 15-20 guys that would get your 30/100 regularly playing a corner OF spot in Wrigley. He goes through stretches where he chases high fastballs and gets himself out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Both thoughts are mutually exclusive. He's not real good at baseball but he is a solid guy.

And Spiegs routinely brings up that the Cubs are in this situation due to bad signings, no minor league developed pitching and younger players not improving.

Last edited by Peoria Matt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Good point, I should rephrase, I'm more likely to attend festivals near me, when they are
playing by me in NW burbs. I like listening to them, and drinking Ice Cold Miller lights
outside in the Summer, at festivals. The 30 for 30 simulates my radio listening habits. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yes, I've seen that. I'm guessing most of these people are the ones too scared to go to Chicago to see live music performances. The increased popularity of cover bands has really killed any kind of live music scene in the suburbs. It's awful. But hey, I can hear someone else play "Don't Stop Believin" for the billionth time. Wouldn't it be cheaper for a bar to just to hire a DJ to spin these played-to-death songs? I'm not disparaging a few guys who want to jam in their garage and play some songs at their local bar for beer money, but the jagoffs who have made this a big business and the dopes that follow them around can all go die in a fire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:18 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yes, I've seen that. I'm guessing most of these people are the ones too scared to go to Chicago to see live music performances. The increased popularity of cover bands has really killed any kind of live music scene in the suburbs. It's awful. But hey, I can hear someone else play "Don't Stop Believin" for the billionth time. Wouldn't it be cheaper for a bar to just to hire a DJ to spin these played-to-death songs? I'm not disparaging a few guys who want to jam in their garage and play some songs at their local bar for beer money, but the jagoffs who have made this a big business and the dopes that follow them around can all go die in a fire.

Supply and demand. People like cover bands...and people like Don't Stop Believing. Most bars (wisely) alternate between a DJ and a band for the weekends. Regardless of the overplayed Journey songs...people do like live music.

I've been doing the cover band thing for almost 10 years. I have a real job and family, so I'm lucky to get 1 show per month. it's a ton of work....we make no money...booking shows is a complete pain in the ass....but 3 hours of playing guitar with your friends is a ton of fun. We all have our songs that we hate being obligated to play but you get over it. For me, it's "Pour Some Sugar On me". I hate that fucking song.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
BigW72 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Supply and demand. People like cover bands...and people like Don't Stop Believing. Most bars (wisely) alternate between a DJ and a band for the weekends. Regardless of the overplayed Journey songs...people do like live music.

I've been doing the cover band thing for almost 10 years. I have a real job and family, so I'm lucky to get 1 show per month. it's a ton of work....we make no money...booking shows is a complete pain in the ass....but 3 hours of playing guitar with your friends is a ton of fun. We all have our songs that we hate being obligated to play but you get over it. For me, it's "Pour Some Sugar On me". I hate that fucking song.

I think I was born an old man, but I have always hated bands or any loud music at bars. When I go to a bar I'm either looking to talk to the people with whom I came or am looking to just get out of the house and have a drink by myself. I'm not looking to discover new music, dance, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
BigW72 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Sarge wrote:
denisdman wrote:

And they take up tables or stools nursing one drink or diet coke all night.