It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
That was easily the worst 10 minutes I've ever experienced on the score.
First, he couldn't say anything without mumbling stumbling uming and ahing. Good lord this is the guy negotiating for you? Consider yourselves fucked, Tribune sports department.
Second, he sounded like a major whiner. Face it, print journalism is on life support. If you want to work for a "paper" you need to forget that shit and move into a fully digital age. The Tribune website sucks so incredibly hard. It needs a major overhaul. You click on a page and pop-ups and ads and videos and click bait. Its a rotten mess. I won't visit it ever again.
Get your priorities straight. Fix the site, forget the "paper", and learn to speak for the love of God man.

I turned this guy off quick. I only lasted about 10 minutes and I think he was still on his third sentence.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Darkside wrote:
Second, he sounded like a major whiner. Face it, print journalism is on life support.

This reminds me of one of my favorite Brandmeier moments... he gets an email from some kid asking what is the best way to get into radio... he responds saying that he and Buzz are trying to get OUT of it! Why would you want to get into radio?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree.

I heard him say he was shocked that the Trib told him the sports writers would be furloughed for 3 months. That was said to him in their negotiations

What?

You're shocked? Really?

THERE ARE NO SPORTS YOU IDIOT. They don't need you. There is no money from advertisers.

I feel bad for you. Just like I feel bad for, ya know, every other business and worker in America. You're not the only one going through tought times.

I'm not gonna cry more for sports writers more than I will for anybody else. Actually, I'll cry less for them. Cuz we don't need them. We need the food producers open more then the stupid sports writers. Food plants are in trouble. Parkins made it out that the Tribune's problems were more important than anybody else.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Beardown wrote:
THERE ARE NO SPORTS YOU IDIOT. They don't need you. There is no money from advertisers.

You hear the part where he said something like yeah well we can like write obituaries too, man, we're like, versatile journalists and um... stuff.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Beardown wrote:

You hear the part where he said something like yeah well we can like write obituaries too, man, we're like, versatile journalists and um... stuff.

Yeah. They already had guys that did obituaries. So is he saying fire those guys to hire the sports guys?

Idiot.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm shocked that 2, 5 and 7 still have a sportscasters.

I rarely watch local news. But yesterday there is Jim Rose doing the sports from his kitchen.

What's the point? Can't the anchors just tell you the Bears schedule? There is so little sports news. And sports reporters have no remote locations to go to to cover stories.

I guess these guys are under contract. So what the hell? Make them do something. But if contracts are about to expire, I don't know why a TV station would extend them for the stupid tv sports guys.

The sports radio guys are different. Cuz they can still be entertaining and a release. Not, Larry. But Bernstein, Mac and Parkins can be and have been. Mully and Haugh are pointless just like Larry.

I just don't get the point of a 2 or 3 minute sports segment on local news when the anchors can handle that.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Beardown wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yeah. They already had guys that did obituaries. So is he saying fire those guys to hire the sports guys?

Idiot.

We fucked up I guess. We have written the obituary for Every family member that has ever died. I never knew we were doing the work for people that were already getting paid to do this. Maybe they could have made it sound better than we did.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Darkside wrote:
First, he couldn't say anything without mumbling stumbling uming and ahing. Good lord this is the guy negotiating for you? Consider yourselves fucked, Tribune sports department.
Second, he sounded like a major whiner. Face it, print journalism is on life support. If you want to work for a "paper" you need to forget that shit and move into a fully digital age. The Tribune website sucks so incredibly hard. It needs a major overhaul. You click on a page and pop-ups and ads and videos and click bait. Its a rotten mess. I won't visit it ever again.
Get your priorities straight. Fix the site, forget the "paper", and learn to speak for the love of God man.

I turned this guy off quick. I only lasted about 10 minutes and I think he was still on his third sentence.

They interviewed Mully?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Frank Coztansa wrote:
They interviewed Mully?

No, it was sini.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:26 am 

Parkins lost a lot of credibility imo overstating the importance of that interview/issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Yesterday these two were tripping over themselves to downplay Cowley's report that Paxson and ownership are letting the new GM/VP tandem know that they would like to keep Boylen around. I heard "as long as he gets fired in the end" and "maybe to keep the team in good standing with the NBA coaching ranks he shouldn't be immediately canned" offered up from hosts that love to pride themselves on "speaking truth to power".

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Worst verbal skills I’ve heard on 670. And that’s truly saying something

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He sounded baked.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Private Idaho wrote:
He sounded baked.

Or retarded

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Darkside wrote:
First, he couldn't say anything without mumbling stumbling uming and ahing.

Didn't Uncle Terry train you to deal with this as the years roll on?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I still read the Trib's online breaking sports daily. Ironic you've got a six figure guy Parkins born with a silver spoon in his mouth, now on the gravy train. He's talking with a true journalist, fighting for his beloved paper, and it's writing staff who were handed nothing, fighting for the survival of the paper.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
the sports page on a daily paper was already near useless over the last 10 years to begin with. It has been further reduced to nothing more than fish wrap during this era with the absence of sports.

To put it simply, a newspaper sports section is about as useless the Scoreboard Update was before they finally dumped it. I'll get better coverage from any one of a dozen team specific sports blogs.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am 

Let's all let out three cheers for our corporate overlords!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
While I detest the whole "corporate media" umbrella that's ruined our sports radio.....I give zero fucks about the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times. Zero. I'm sorry your industry died / shifted. Happens everywhere...I can certainly say the same for my own. You adjust and move on.

Whining about a newspaper is so 20 years ago.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: pequads
Parkins whole mantra about the demise of Newspapers and reporters is that we need them to monitor and keep Government/Big Business in check. Problem is for the past 30 years at least neither newspaper has done a very good job doing this. You look at the Illinois before the whole pandemic and what has become of it, I know they had the occasional articles or investigations into stuff but they never just kept the pressure on the elected officials. Classic example they went after the Catholic church for all the pedophile problems and they should have, but after a few investigative reports they have stayed very quite about all the sexual assault/pedophile problems at CPS over the years. They basically cooked there own goose.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:45 pm 

we are worse off as a city without consolidated and professional local/regional reporting

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good dolphin wrote:
we are worse off as a city without consolidated and professional local/regional reporting

information is for losers. The winners make up their own facts.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

If Entercom is still a .80 share, you and a couple of your moderately wealthy neighbors should be able to buy the whole company.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
[guitar riff] SAU-GA-NASH SPORTS RA-DI-OOOOO

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If Entercom is still a .80 share, you and a couple of your moderately wealthy neighbors should be able to buy the whole company.

if that stock drops much lower, this board can buy the Score :lol: