It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone still listening?
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I am putting this on this board for it is has the most traffic. Not a shot at the show, the score, etc, but I just realized the last month I think I listened to maybe one podcast or so of sports since, you know, there are no sports on.

That has to be extremely difficult for the sportscasters. Curiuos if posters still listen to anything. Who are the advertisers?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
cookie23 wrote:
I am putting this on this board for it is has the most traffic. Not a shot at the show, the score, etc, but I just realized the last month I think I listened to maybe one podcast or so of sports since, you know, there are no sports on.

That has to be extremely difficult for the sportscasters. Curiuos if posters still listen to anything. Who are the advertisers?

I listened to national shows the week of the NFL draft if I was in the car, and streamed 670 for about a half hour the day of the draft.

Now, I'm listening to one segment of local sports talk if im in the car between 12-6 weekdays, before I put on music. Inside the house, i watch a PTI or a HQ segment from my tablet, but that's it.

If baseball starts up again, I will probably listen to 670 on the stream when they have baseball guests on, and figure out how to download the XM app to listen to MLB Network Radio inside the house.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I listen to the interviews they do with the experts/writers on the podcast page. Everything else is boring. Parkins is a dork and Danny Mac lost his passion. I listen to Mully and Haugh the most because Mully is a fun upbeat person. It's rare on the station.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I listen just about every day. I probably catch a full show 2 or 3 days a week.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Judging by Feder's numbers, not many are listening to either sports station (although, to be fair, they are not the numbers for the target demographic which is how the commercials are paid for.)

Last edited by newper on Wed May 13, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I am. I usually catch the last hour of the show. Sometimes I put on the live stream before that.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I am listening most days to McNeil and Parkins but I have been listening more and more to Bernstein. Bernstein's show is so much better since McKnight left. No sports doesn't affect my listening to Chicago sports talk since I don't watch much Chicago sports anyways. I am not a Bears or Bulls fan and I don't really watch baseball anymore. The sports I watch, Chicago sports talk radio do not discuss.

On this note, there are several hockey podcasts that I have stopped listening to since there are no games. One of my favorite podcasts is a couple 30ish year old guys from Toronto that discuss the Leafs. Since they have no games to discuss they are often branching off into pop culture discussions. I have no interest in listening to them discuss their favorite reality shows and the trashy Netflix shows they are watching. This applies to a couple other podcasts as well. On the other hand, I have been listening to more science and sociology podcasts lately.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Yes

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The crisis has me at home instead in the car commuting. CNBC all day. No sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 pm 

I been listening quite a bit during this deal. Almost always catch some of Bernsie, Larry, and Mac/Parkins

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 pm 

Great replies. I have not listened to Bernstein since McKinght left.

McKnight seems like a very likeable good person, just came across bland for radio.

I was Bernsteins biggest fan back in the day of B&B, I honestly thought he would move on nationally, then his bully schtick to listerners became over the top and even though I agree with the majority of his politics, he became too preachy.

I used to listend to Mac and Parkins and Waddle and Silvy when sports were on.

Also used to listen to podcasts of PTI and Barstool PMT and some Colin Cowherd, but no sports just have had no interest.

Not a huge baseball fan, I know NBA free agency can be fun in the summer and used to listen then.

Do they even have a night show before Les?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Parkins is not great when there is content and is almost unlistenable with limited content. Scan through the podcast info for all the shows and may find one segment that is somewhat interesting every other day. Does seem they are going out of their way to pimp content from the Athletic, wonder if they all feel that is the fallback position for all former sports media types.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Parkins is my guy.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati’s
In the morning I may catch little bit of Dan, but I’m in the same work at home mode as Denis. I’ll do some surfing around audio feeds of the various news channels to start the day, but by mid morning I’ve moved to music and never really flip back.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Parkins and Mac are OK in these times. Bernstein is OK as well. Mainly cuz these 3 can be funny at least.

Mully, Haugh and Larry suck with no sports. These 3 have no ability to be funny.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 pm 

I am not normally a Larry fan. But I think during these strange time he has done pretty well. Strange is right in his wheelhouse.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 pm 

LeBatard from 9-12 and then I go to WTF, Conan or a Bill Burr podcast from 12-2.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I go to WTF, Conan or a Bill Burr podcast from 12-2.

Do you text into them constantly too?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:47 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
It got so bad tonight that I listened to the end of the HUGE Show on my local station. They air his "syndicated" network show, time-shifted from earlier in the day, late evenings before going to FS1 network programming, or Tigers games.

Tonight he was doing text-in shoutouts to high school seniors across the Great State of Michigan, kids nominated on the text line for their athletic accomplishments, or lost potential, or academic prowess. The Ionia High Class of 2020 got him with Dick Fitzwell.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:51 pm 

I found Big Cat to be a great listen on Waddle and Silvy and to follow when sports. He has his thing. But find him awful without sports.

Same with Kap. I like his enthusiasm and show of STL when sports are on. Never could get into his radio. Carmen, Jurko, etc. snorefest.

Who is on the score now between Parkins/Mac and Les?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Nas wrote:
Parkins is my guy.

'Dats rite my friend..light 'em up like Christmas Trees. Could you imagine North and Parkins doing a show together back in the day when North still cared, on one of those days when he brought the coked up Robin Williams type energy? Parkins would likely be curled up in the fetal position after the first segment.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:42 am 

Nas wrote:
Parkins is my guy.

I like him as well

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
LeBatard's doing some of the best shows he's ever done during this. Rome's show has gotten terrible, but better lately since it's the build to the Smackoff.

Everyone else is worthless without sports.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
LeBatard's doing some of the best shows he's ever done during this. Rome's show has gotten terrible, but better lately since it's the build to the Smackoff.

Everyone else is worthless without sports.

Rome is a guy I listened to in early 2000s. Kinda fell of the radar. Have not tried Lebatard. you are correct without sports, impossible to listen to sports radio. I just dont care about local or national sport radio personaliites.

That said looks like in a month or so sports should be starting up again so that is good.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
LeBatard's doing some of the best shows he's ever done during this.

Yea, they've been pretty entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Rome use to be really funny but in an a way he wasn't a comedian. just use to talk about sports life and his twist on it use to be very entertaining.

but now he's not even close to how good he use to be even 10 years ago.

Haven't heard Lebartard at all. dont know who he is. is he the guy on ESPN from Miami who has the old man w/ him on tv?

Is that other hack who got famous because he had the opening a beer and jugging it down soundbyte still around? That guy is the worst. can't remember his name at the moment.

btw-- anyone know what murph is up to? Is he really retired or got plans to do something else? I was thinking he'd be part of Marquee network but haven't heard anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Rome use to be really funny but in an a way he wasn't a comedian. just use to talk about sports life and his twist on it use to be very entertaining.

but now he's not even close to how good he use to be even 10 years ago.

Haven't heard Lebartard at all. dont know who he is. is he the guy on ESPN from Miami who has the old man w/ him on tv?

Is that other hack who got famous because he had the opening a beer and jugging it down soundbyte still around? That guy is the worst. can't remember his name at the moment.

btw-- anyone know what murph is up to? Is he really retired or got plans to do something else? I was thinking he'd be part of Marquee network but haven't heard anything.

Yep that is Dan. Think that is his dad or uncle. Found it stupid along with ATH. I like PTI when sports are on.

Have not watched any debate shows on ESPN or FS1 in forever, are they still getting ratings?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Nostalgia is the only reason Boers is listenable as a guest.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
DAC wrote:
Nostalgia is the only reason Boers is listenable as a guest.

I loved Terry in his prime, and he was part of some very listenable and funny shows as late as the 2014 Bears trainwreck.

But as his career wound down he pretty much openly said on air he was looking forward to not watching any sports besides baseball.