It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
what the score should do is replay shows from the 90s from the HFC or North/Jiggets. Like we're seeing all these old baseball games on mlb network and fox, they should just play a random show from 1996 or something.

I'd def listen to that.

Been listening after the bulls doc this weekend, kaplan on am1000 must have really hated Jordan or Jordan hated him. Seems like he has a gripe.

Parkins/Mac have been really good. I can just sit back and relax listening to them. it's very nice. i liked antoine walker being a guest today too. I like waddle and slivy too from my short time listening to them this week but parkins/mac has been a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:01 am 

I have always enjoyed Dan interviewing the Bill Peterson types: known, working actors who aren't A list but have lead an interesting life in their industry

The Score hosts always got interesting material from those types of interviews back in the day.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
I have always enjoyed Dan interviewing the Bill Peterson types: known, working actors who aren't A list but have lead an interesting life in their industry

The Score hosts always got interesting material from those types of interviews back in the day.

That's because 90% of player interviews are a snooze.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
I was not a huge fan of Parkins with sports and I don't think he's any better without sports. Personal taste, I guess. I always appreciated Mac because of the classic rock and hockey talk, but he's just hanging out now.

I used to loathe the latter stages of the B&B show when it became over-the-top schtick. But Bernstein is way better now. I don't get to listen that often, because I can't listen during the day, but what I've caught has been a lot better.

I haven't listened much lately, because I'm not a huge NBA fan, so The Last Dance did not interest me much.

Laurence has steadily declined in my eyes over the past several years. I can't even listen to him anymore. He's so much shtick (in a different way) now. He brings on some interesting guests and a lot of poor ones, too. A lot of race talk, which gets forced at times. I think there could be a time and place for that.

Kap is a clown, but a very well-meaning and harmless clown. I'm a Sox fan, so his obvious bias can be grating. But I do think he knows how to competently and professionally conduct a sports show.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The Abbatacola interview was excellent. Some the most interesting radio I have heard on the Score in a while. Murph sounds like such a bag. Would love to hear a longer interview with Drinky.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
DAC wrote:
The Abbatacola interview was excellent. Some the most interesting radio I have heard on the Score in a while. Murph sounds like such a bag. Would love to hear a longer interview with Drinky.

when did this happen? link please!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
DAC wrote:

when did this happen? link please!

5-19 Maybe 3rd hour.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
ChiefWampum wrote:
I was not a huge fan of Parkins with sports and I don't think he's any better without sports. Personal taste, I guess. I always appreciated Mac because of the classic rock and hockey talk, but he's just hanging out now.

I used to loathe the latter stages of the B&B show when it became over-the-top schtick. But Bernstein is way better now. I don't get to listen that often, because I can't listen during the day, but what I've caught has been a lot better.

I haven't listened much lately, because I'm not a huge NBA fan, so The Last Dance did not interest me much.

Laurence has steadily declined in my eyes over the past several years. I can't even listen to him anymore. He's so much shtick (in a different way) now. He brings on some interesting guests and a lot of poor ones, too. A lot of race talk, which gets forced at times. I think there could be a time and place for that.

Kap is a clown, but a very well-meaning and harmless clown. I'm a Sox fan, so his obvious bias can be grating. But I do think he knows how to competently and professionally conduct a sports show.

I get tired of his name-dropping and repeatedly telling the same stories. Waddle & Silvy are my favorites right now- no politics and perfect blend of a sports jock/goof (Waddle) and a passionate sports fan (Silvy).

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
FrankDrebin wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

I get tired of his name-dropping and repeatedly telling the same stories. Waddle & Silvy are my favorites right now- no politics and perfect blend of a sports jock/goof (Waddle) and a passionate sports fan (Silvy).

Do you believe Kap when he says "I talked to/texted with a player/GM/whatever who said..." and it always supports whatever point he his trying to make? He's about as genuine as Leery, which is why I assume he's usually lying.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I like Kap. He's a good mixture of fun and sports talk. Plus, he hates Bernstein so he has good judgement.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 am 

Kap is replacement level.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:

I like Parkins less after he posted on the board. Really showed how full of BS he is on the air. Can't stand his uppity radio personality. His take on 90's basketball is unbearable. You can't form an accurate opinion on a decade of basketball by watching ESPN re-runs... :roll:

Waddle and Silvy are light years better then what is going on at 670.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
What? I get not liking Parkins's style or opinions, but saying he is full of BS is just silly. If nothing else, him coming on here makes him more transparent than any radio host in this city right now outside of Mac.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
What? I get not liking Parkins's style or opinions, but saying he is full of BS is just silly. If nothing else, him coming on here makes him more transparent than any radio host in this city right now outside of Mac.

Parkins is like many that grew up in the lap of luxury in his misunderstanding of what sports are to a vast majority of people. Parkins and Bernstein see sports as a social justice mechanism, sports are easily broken down into numbers using analysis tools developed by like minded people of similar backgrounds. The rest see sports as a departure from the tedious nature of daily human existence, a release from the stresses of work/family. If a young Parkins wanted to learn how to throw a curve his parents would pay a pro to teach him the rest of us learned by hours of playing catch with friends or family. Almost feel sorry for him because the joy of sports has been sucked out because it must be viewed through a jaded lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:45 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Parkins is like many that grew up in the lap of luxury in his misunderstanding of what sports are to a vast majority of people. Parkins and Bernstein see sports as a social justice mechanism, sports are easily broken down into numbers using analysis tools developed by like minded people of similar backgrounds. The rest see sports as a departure from the tedious nature of daily human existence, a release from the stresses of work/family. If a young Parkins wanted to learn how to throw a curve his parents would pay a pro to teach him the rest of us learned by hours of playing catch with friends or family. Almost feel sorry for him because the joy of sports has been sucked out because it must be viewed through a jaded lens.

Yes, Clawmaster explained it more eloquently then my general BS tag. I just can't relate to his view of the world of sports.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Clawmaster wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Bernstein for sure....Parkins I believe still has a little bit of fandom left in him. I wouldn't put him there....yet.

At some point, Bernstein decided that sports fandom was beneath him. Then you have a guy like Burce Levine that tries to pretend / sell that his journalistic integrity eliminates any fandom he may have once had....he's said this as much. I don't buy it but he tries.

You are correct, though....sports are a fun distraction from life, just like music, movies, playing golf....etc. It's said how many who make a living off of sports lose grasp of this. It's not complicated.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm 

Really good interview today with Craig Ehlo.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio’s
Both Parkins and Bernstein have apparently been watching so much msnbc that they’ve taken on Rachel Maddow-ish speech patterns...the halting, the self-imposed importance, etc. It is literally the cadence of their monologues. But it can’t be forgotten “ITS IMPORTANT RADIO”

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
Really good interview today with Craig Ehlo.

I had no idea Ehlo was a country boy.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
BigW72 wrote:
That's because 90% of player interviews are a snooze.

The only time they're any good is when they turn into a train wreck like when Mully and Hanley interviewed Richard Dent at the Superbowl and all he wanted to talk about was water heaters.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 pm 

Phor20 wrote:
Both Parkins and Bernstein have apparently been watching so much msnbc that they’ve taken on Rachel Maddow-ish speech patterns...the halting, the self-imposed importance, etc. It is literally the cadence of their monologues. But it can’t be forgotten “ITS IMPORTANT RADIO”

Noticing this quite a bit recently, there must be a diction pro somewhere that all these media/political types go to for coaching because it is a definite departure from regular human speech patterns.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Clawmaster, your view comes from a distance. Just as Parkins' view did with me when he says "you're a rich dude." That's absurd. He just doesn't stop to think about what happened in my life before I became a part of his in the 21st Century.

I've thought a lot about young Danny because I know just enough to feel terribly sorry for his childhood trauma. Scoliosis is ugly. I had spinal fusion (just L-4, L-5, S-1) when I was 45. I enjoyed an active, athletic youth and was reasonably strong most of my life, despite the orthopedic issues. Can you imagine being a sports-loving 8 or 9 year-old and going through an ENTIRE SPINAL COLUMN FUSION? Dreams shattered before you have hair on your balls?

Took me a long time to realize I should stop to pause and try to think of the world through somebody else's eyes and experiences before reaching conclusions about why they are the way they are. Between the ears, Parkins might be one of the toughest dudes I've ever met in sports radio.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac FM wrote:
Clawmaster, your view comes from a distance. Just as Parkins' view did with me when he says "you're a rich dude." That's absurd. He just doesn't stop to think about what happened in my life before I became a part of his in the 21st Century.

I've thought a lot about young Danny because I know just enough to feel terribly sorry for his childhood trauma. Scoliosis is ugly. I had spinal fusion (just L-4, L-5, S-1) when I was 45. I enjoyed an active, athletic youth and was reasonably strong most of my life, despite the orthopedic issues. Can you imagine being a sports-loving 8 or 9 year-old and going through an ENTIRE SPINAL COLUMN FUSION? Dreams shattered before you have hair on your balls?

Took me a long time to realize I should stop to pause and try to think of the world through somebody else's eyes and experiences before reaching conclusions about why they are the way they are. Between the ears, Parkins might be one of the toughest dudes I've ever met in sports radio.

Mac I dont get the response given. Everyone has a story. Parkins grew up priveledged. Nothing wrong with that, talks about going to all the big games that most kids like myself growing up in working class could never even dream about going to.

Had a family member with microcephaly, look it up. Not good. We all have crap.

What I think most on here are annoyed with is the tone deafness of wanting to have a fun, sports show. I get it, there are no sports on and its tough. But the preachy, self rightous, doom and gloom from yesterday just turned a lot of people off. And i am a freakin liberal.
I am what the score is going after. There is no diversity in political thought. As a true liberal(not a Bernstein cartoon character) we like other opinions. The far left is not us and that is what the score has become.

Things sucks right now in the world with the economy and COVID, instead of the Bernstein and now a kid in Parkins lecturing about being selfish, just have fun. As Howard Stern used to say about Jim carrey getting serious, just talk through your butt, thats all we want to hear.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Most of the time, that's what we do. Yesterday's "outburst" wasn't planned. It just happened.

My references to Parkins as a kid had nothing to do with privilege or lifestyle. It had everything to do with the psychological analysis from somebody who knows nothing about Danny Parkins other than what he's heard on the radio.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Juiced wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

I like Parkins less after he posted on the board. Really showed how full of BS he is on the air. Can't stand his uppity radio personality. His take on 90's basketball is unbearable. You can't form an accurate opinion on a decade of basketball by watching ESPN re-runs... :roll:

Waddle and Silvy are light years better then what is going on at 670.

This.

I have lost my taste for Parkins. Not a fan of young guys who try to act like they are in their 50's, preaching to people when you are still in diapers yourself. Worked out great when Goff did that, di'n it?

For some odd reason, people who have never been knocked out by a punch are the ones who need to experience it the most.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 am 

Mac FM wrote:

Surprised by your reply. Those of us that grew up in economically challenged one parent households have completely different life experiences than those that grew up in the lap of luxury. Ended up raising my younger brother and to this day we will talk for hours about how much time we spent just playing catch in the yard. Sports represented and still represent a release from the challenges of life, and we view sport talk as you have often said as, "a type of saloon", where you celebrate the joy of others athletic accomplishments which in some way, takes you back to that time you snapped off your first curve. The discussion of numbers and analytics takes out the human element of sports which is why many of us goofs still punch the button, or these days select the app which delivers us sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Sports represented and still represent a release from the challenges of life, and we view sport talk as you have often said as, "a type of saloon", where you celebrate the joy of others athletic accomplishments which in some way, takes you back to that time you snapped off your first curve. The discussion of numbers and analytics takes out the human element of sports which is why many of us goofs still punch the button, or these days select the app which delivers us sports talk radio.

While sports is a release from me as well, I love the discussion of numbers and analytics and it has made sports much more interesting over the last 10 years. Your nostalgic view of sports matters very little to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm 

Interview with former Bear Joe Cain was awesome, definitely one to check out

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 pm 

Mac FM wrote:

None of this has anything to with the approach he has taken to sports talk radio. All of the gambling lines and sabermetric data are easily accessed via the internet, that type of sport talk adds nothing because it is easily obtained in a multitude of places. The real talent is providing unique content which is only available by having thoughts that no one else does on a particular subject. We have a saying in the medical field, "I need a different set of eyes", meaning I need and welcome another opinion, even though it may be radically different from mine. Sports talk radio is a tedious listen when everyone sees things through the same set of eyes, it used to be the place one could go to escape the stench of the group think that we currently face.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Clawmaster wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

None of this has anything to with the approach he has taken to sports talk radio. All of the gambling lines and sabermetric data are easily accessed via the internet, that type of sport talk adds nothing because it is easily obtained in a multitude of places. The real talent is providing unique content which is only available by having thoughts that no one else does on a particular subject. We have a saying in the medical field, "I need a different set of eyes", meaning I need and welcome another opinion, even though it may be radically different from mine. Sports talk radio is a tedious listen when everyone sees things through the same set of eyes, it used to be the place one could go to escape the stench of the group think that we currently face.

Good post Claw. Bill Simmons didn't become a millionaire because he's "the smartest guy in the room". He made it because he has a unique perspective. You have to make yourself worth listening to. Afternoon drive isn't my time to listen. But I did listen when Parkins was with Spiegel and I found him fairly enjoyable. Consensus seems to be he's lost something being teamed up with McNeil.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next