It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spiegs Parkins
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
These guys have been a great listen this week.

Wtf happened the first time? Seems like spiegs has let the jealousy go.

They make a good team finally.

Post subject: Re: Spiegs Parkins
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
DeCastro hired Mac to work with Parkins and Spiegs was shown the door.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

but didnt Speigs have a real chip on his shoulder when Parkins was hired and paired with him? I thought I read here he was very rude to Parkins and jealous that he was the new kid on the block and didnt think he deserved the gig on the score.

Beardown probably knows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Spegial and parkins was a pretty good show, they had good chemistry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 pm 

billypootons wrote:

i listened a few times on the podcast and it was so obvious how badly Speigs had treated Parkins on air back then.

But this week they've been really good.

Maybe speigs has been humbled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
My sense back then was Spiegs wanted his buddy Rozner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spiegel is better after he was fired than he was before he was fired.

I don't know. Maybe he got humbled and appreciates what he gets now as a back up.

He's alright.

Then, I've heard him mention it. No more shows at bars with his band cuz of Corona. So he needs these back up shows and his weekends shows more than ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah I also heard him say his voice is on the shelf With no band during Covid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

but didnt Speigs have a real chip on his shoulder when Parkins was hired and paired with him? I thought I read here he was very rude to Parkins and jealous that he was the new kid on the block and didnt think he deserved the gig on the score.

Beardown probably knows.
Spiegel was probably pissed that he was passed over for afternoon drive after guiding the midday slot through rough seas after Mac's sudden departure. He was saddled with a complete radio ogre in Mannelly and performed admirably until The Long-Snapper Who Couldn't Talk did everyone a favor and hari-kari'd his radio career, he then was paired with Goff as they readied to push Terry out of the helicopter, and despite performing really well in that pairing, he got stiffed when they shifted Goff to afternoon drive, and brought in yet another young talent with whom he could toil away in midday obscurity. He turned in ratings success after success, but was turned into The Score's bullpen catcher for talent they wanted to later try out in primetime. And when that worked out great for the midday slot ratings-wise, and their experiment with Spiegs' former partner (Goff) tanked the afternoon drive ratings, they rewarded Matt by promoting his 3rd partner in 5-6 years (which saw ratings success for middays anchored by Spiegel) to afternoon drive (Parkins), bringing back the partner who left him with his nuts in the wringer in '09 (Mac) for the other afternoon drive slot, and removing Spiegel from dayparts completely so that the guy who had helped kill afternoon drive ratings (Bernstein) could FINALLY be "punished" with a demotion to midday and get the partner of his choosing (McDoink).

Spiegel had, and continues to have, a lot to be upset about with how the station treated him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Beardown probably knows.
Spiegel was probably pissed that he was passed over for afternoon drive after guiding the midday slot through rough seas after Mac's sudden departure. He was saddled with a complete radio ogre in Mannelly and performed admirably until The Long-Snapper Who Couldn't Talk did everyone a favor and hari-kari'd his radio career, he then was paired with Goff as they readied to push Terry out of the helicopter, and despite performing really well in that pairing, he got stiffed when they shifted Goff to afternoon drive, and brought in yet another young talent with whom he could toil away in midday obscurity. He turned in ratings success after success, but was turned into The Score's bullpen catcher for talent they wanted to later try out in primetime. And when that worked out great for the midday slot ratings-wise, and their experiment with Spiegs' former partner (Goff) tanked the afternoon drive ratings, they rewarded Matt by promoting his 3rd partner in 5-6 years (which saw ratings success for middays anchored by Spiegel) to afternoon drive (Parkins), bringing back the partner who left him with his nuts in the wringer in '09 (Mac) for the other afternoon drive slot, and removing Spiegel from dayparts completely so that the guy who had helped kill afternoon drive ratings (Bernstein) could FINALLY be "punished" with a demotion to midday and get the partner of his choosing (McDoink).

Spiegel had, and continues to have, a lot to be upset about with how the station treated him.

I don't really disagree with any of this. There were 4 partners if you include Mac. He wasn't even important enough to have his name attached to the show.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Last edited by Nas on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm 

Beardown wrote:

I don't know. Maybe he got humbled and appreciates what he gets now as a back up.

He's alright.

Then, I've heard him mention it. No more shows at bars with his band cuz of Corona. So he needs these back up shows and his weekends shows more than ever.

it appears as if he is better because of the role he is currently in. He is in the perfect place for him. Do some baseball stuff on the weekends and fill in when needed throughout the week.

I applaud him for being willing to accept this role and thus excel in it.

If he were back in the regular every day rotation all the old things that bothered people would show back up.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's

He seems douchey and I'm sorry Mac brought him back.

Last edited by Spaulding on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:

Beardown probably knows.

He seems douchey and I'm sorry Mac brought him back.[/quote]

He was Spaulding, but I sense a change in him. Like I said, he's alright doing shows now. Give him a listen. You might think so as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Beardown probably knows.

He was Spaulding, but I sense a change in him.

Spiegs 2020 :

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
He's a smarmy douche.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
He's a smarmy douche.

this is true still today. but not as much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Have not listened this week so OP could be correct. Once sports comes back I fully expcect Parkins to be gone nationally in a year or two. He is too young and talented for just the Score.

Question will be what will be the midday show once Parkins leaves to go national and Mac is basically doing the Terry?

I expect like Parkins, new talent from outside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Some of Parkins' insight from yesterday:

Re: the OAN- "their OPINIONS are so so repulsive that they should be shouted down completely"

Re: the OAN polo shirt wearing football coach- "I get the impression he's not very intelligent"

WOW! He sure sounds WOKE to me. All opinions matter, as long as they are exactly like his, then they don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
HawaiiYou wrote:
billypootons wrote:

i listened a few times on the podcast and it was so obvious how badly Speigs had treated Parkins on air back then.

But this week they've been really good.

Maybe speigs has been humbled.

At the beginning but by the end of their show they had great chemistry. I enjoy Parkins and Mac but Pakins and Spiegs is the best pair on the Score IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Beardown probably knows.

I'm the original member of the Spiegal ALS but he did plenty of unprofessional things in the early days of his Score return to warrant not getting promotions. He has consistently prioritized his side gig as a singer in a cover band over his on air work. It seemed like he was taking a day off every week because his voice was shot from a weekend of pretending to be Jim Morrison. He backed out of Hit and Run, which, despite its slot, is a pretty popular show at the station. He regularly fought on air with his co hosts and in transition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Beardown wrote:

I completely agree with this....not sure how or why, but I've seen noticeable difference for the better. I would be ok with him as a FT host (now) but he'd still need to be paired with someone with entertainment value. Spiegel (now) does a great job preparing and demonstrating knowledge of each sport.

good dolphin wrote:
he did plenty of unprofessional things in the early days of his Score return to warrant not getting promotions. He has consistently prioritized his side gig as a singer in a cover band over his on air work. It seemed like he was taking a day off every week because his voice was shot from a weekend of pretending to be Jim Morrison. He backed out of Hit and Run, which, despite its slot, is a pretty popular show at the station. He regularly fought on air with his co hosts and in transition.

I also completely agree with this. He wasn't very good when he had a job as a full-time host.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati’s
K Effective wrote:

Re: the OAN- "their OPINIONS are so so repulsive that they should be shouted down completely"

Re: the OAN polo shirt wearing football coach- "I get the impression he's not very intelligent"

WOW! He sure sounds WOKE to me. All opinions matter, as long as they are exactly like his, then they don't.

I get that Parkins is being a gigantic hypocrite with this stance, but isn't a good amount of the bashing on Parko and Berns their political bullshit and the "STICK TO SPORTS!!!" crowd?

I guess it's only "STICK TO SPORTS!!!" if the thoughts don't jive with your own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am 

K Effective wrote:

I mean he may as well just have worn a KKK hood . Same difference .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I'll be honest and clearly admit that I have no knowledge of the OAN and it's ideology, I really don't have the time nor interest to do so. I also don't watch much if any network news, nor online stuff- yes a true mushroom.

But, that's not the point. IF we have differing opinions, and our point is that they both matter, then they both are valid and matter. He cannot "shout down" his opponent just because he doesn't agree with them. They cannot shout him down, either. Similarly, he can turn off the OAN and I can PTFB as well. The KKK can, in fact, peacefully demonstrate to express their opinion. I do not agree with them, but our Constitution demands the government not stop them from following the rules and doing so (I HATE Illinois Nazis-J. Blues).

His quick and loud declaration of the ignorance of the coach based on a recorded quote came across as quick and loud as declaring someone ignorant based on the color of their skin.

I guess it takes some effort to agree with a Dan and his sports ideas, but disagree with his politics. I won't yell at them to Stick to Sports, but I will listen less to statements like the above, or the never-ending Penn State talk, for examples.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Maga hat or OAN shirt...either signifies dipshit.

FACT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Spaulding wrote:
He's a smarmy douche.

Must be why I like him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I completely agree with this....not sure how or why, but I've seen noticeable difference for the better. I would be ok with him as a FT host (now) but he'd still need to be paired with someone with entertainment value. Spiegel (now) does a great job preparing and demonstrating knowledge of each sport.

good dolphin wrote:
he did plenty of unprofessional things in the early days of his Score return to warrant not getting promotions. He has consistently prioritized his side gig as a singer in a cover band over his on air work. It seemed like he was taking a day off every week because his voice was shot from a weekend of pretending to be Jim Morrison. He backed out of Hit and Run, which, despite its slot, is a pretty popular show at the station. He regularly fought on air with his co hosts and in transition.

I also completely agree with this. He wasn't very good when he had a job as a full-time host.

I think it's just appreciation that he has some sort of job. Even if it's part time. Especially in these times. But even before these times he was better shortly after he got fired.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:48 pm 

Beardown wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

good dolphin wrote:

I think it's just appreciation that he has some sort of job. Even if it's part time. Especially in these times. But even before these times he was better shortly after he got fired.

I'd say the expense of having a child is sobering, but he both continued to drink after his kid was born and quit Hit and Run. Maybe two alimonies are sobering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm 

B Mac wrote:
K Effective wrote:

I get that Parkins is being a gigantic hypocrite with this stance, but isn't a good amount of the bashing on Parko and Berns their political bullshit and the "STICK TO SPORTS!!!" crowd?

I guess it's only "STICK TO SPORTS!!!" if the thoughts don't jive with your own.

Lot of truth to this. At the end of the day we are all hypocrites. I always point out I am a moderate liberal for there are a lot of us out there. Just like there are a lot of moderate conservatives. Dan Bernstein, Danny Parkins, Goff, Spiegs etc are not moderates.

But either is Jurko on ESPN1000 or Mike North on twitter, they are both far right Trumpsters.

The Score decided 10 years ago or maybe even more to go far left for a younger demographic. ESPN 1000 decided to be vanilla, no politics talk. The Score won the ratings game.

That is just a fact.

I am going to find it more intersting what the score is gonna do when Parkins leaves to go national(its a matter of when) and Mac retires.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: grimaldis
GoldenJet wrote:
Maga hat or OAN shirt...either signifies dipshit.

FACT

From NY Times

"The conservative cable network One America News has a minuscule audience, attracts few readers on the web and has struggled to break into the television mainstream.

But thanks to one powerful viewer in the White House, the network’s influence — and its conspiracy theories — are echoing in the highest reaches of American politics.

President Trump, responding to a One America News segment, floated a baseless theory on Tuesday that a 75-year-old man in Buffalo who was knocked to the ground by the police — and hospitalized after bleeding from his head — was “an ANTIFA provocateur” who had tried to interfere with law enforcement
."

Shit like this that is passed off as real is what is destroying this country. Vote Orange face out in November along with McConnell and any other Republican senator up for reelection.