It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8/27: Goff calls in
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Interesting conversation going on right now.

Post subject: Re: 8/27: Goff calls in
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Based on what I heard earlier from Mac and Parkins, adding Goff would make my head explode.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Ron Wolfley wrote:

When was he on? All I hear is Lawrence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

If you're going to time travel have some fun with it at least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
That’s an hour I won’t be listening to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

They all sound alike.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wasn't really an interview. Parkins asked one question in the middle, but it was pretty much Goff talking for 25 minutes uninterrupted.

Which is fine. That's what Goff is like. But in situations like this, I don't mind. Goff knows what questions will be asked. So he just decided to answer all of them without the hosts having to ask them.

1. Goff came on wanting to get a lot of his chest.

2. He said a lot of SCORE guys didn't have his back at the end of his SCORE run. Said he wouldn't name anybody.

3. Goff said he was shocked to hear Mac support Heyward and hear Mac criticize teammates for not sitting out that game. It was almost like Goff was apologizing to Mac for pegging him, in his mind, as a racist for years. I found that interesting.

4. Then he said even though he doesn't know Danny, he would be there for him in any situation. I kind of don't believe that. But Goff was on a roll.

5. Goff said he loved Mac and that Mac was his inspiration to be on the radio. Don't know if I buy that one either. But it was a nice thing to say. I think Goff was trying to make good with Mac. As we all know, there was tension between the two for years. It was always from Goff's end. Not Mac's. Ya know, the harassment for years with the "Da Ma Na" thing. Goff was kind of trying to say "Sorry" to Mac. Without actually saying it. He was saying it with the compliments. He told Mac to give him a call some time. Mac said he would.

That's the way I read it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:

Is he asking for his job back? Parkins is worse then Goff for SJW issues. Why does he get to keep his job and Goff did not?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Goff tries to put on a happy face but deep down he is an angry man. Probably hates whitey.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Did he cry ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Wasn't really an interview. Parkins asked one question in the middle, but it was pretty much Goff talking for 25 minutes uninterrupted.

2. He said a lot of SCORE guys didn't have his back at the end of his SCORE run. Said he wouldn't name anybody.

What exactly were people supposed to " have his back" over ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

By the way, did Goff get fired from Sirius radio? That Big Ten morning Show or whatever it was? I checked out his twitter and his job listing is only Bulls pre/post guy. It used to say Sirius and ESPN radio as well. So I'm guessing he lost both of those.

I figured that ESPN national weekend thing was gone when he started popping up on the SCORE every now and then. That wouldn't be allowed if he was an ESPN guy. But I didn't know he was gone from Sirius.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

What exactly were people supposed to " have his back" over ?

Well, it was tough to tell. But he was saying people didn't have his back two weeks before he got fired. Something about the Kapernick kneeling thing. And that his girl was pregnant at the time. They didn't care about that according to him.

He said he wanted to see a shrink. But lost his insurance once he was fired so he couldn't do that.

He wasn't clear. You know how Goff is. He rambles without making his point clear. But he basically said that a lot of SCORE people didn't show him love.

You listen to it and try to figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Goff said he had been listening to Mac and Parkins all day. He texted Parkins during the show asking if he could come on.

I'm pretty sure Goff had had a couple cocktails or smoked a little weed before he came on. Or both. Sounded that way to me.

That's kind of why we got that "I love you Mac. I love you Parkins" thing.

Plus he wanted to vent. Which is always more interesting if you're under the influence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:08 pm 

Some things I would podcast and go back and listen to.

Goff being on, the complete opposite affect. He is just pedictable and annoying. He brings nothing and has zero talent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Did anyone ask Mac or Parkins if they would have boycotted their shift if LoHo had?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Did anyone ask Mac or Parkins if they would have boycotted their shift if LoHo had?

Would have been an interesting question.

Let's say they say "Yes". Do you get subs? Well, what's the point of that? Everybody supports Larry in a situation like this if they're good teammates. Nobody does a radio show.

The answer should have been the SCORE goes to "Dead air" for 24 hours to support Larry and the fight against racism. And you just lose all the ad revenue for the day.

Mitch: :shock:

Beardown: But they're supporting a teammate, Mitch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
How bout everybody stops going to work, the power houses and power plants stop producing energy. How long could these fucks last without tik tok and instagram..no iphones, lights, A.C. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 pm 

Beardown wrote:
By the way, did Goff get fired from Sirius radio? That Big Ten morning Show or whatever it was? I checked out his twitter and his job listing is only Bulls pre/post guy. It used to say Sirius and ESPN radio as well. So I'm guessing he lost both of those.

I figured that ESPN national weekend thing was gone when he started popping up on the SCORE every now and then. That wouldn't be allowed if he was an ESPN guy. But I didn't know he was gone from Sirius.

He also was part of the “& Company” when it was “Spain and Co.” on ESPN Radio; he was co-hosting with her maybe 2 nights a week, making it even more unlistenable than it already was. Now that it’s back to “Spain & Fitz”, I guess he’s done at ESPN completely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:47 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Which is fine. That's what Goff is like. But in situations like this, I don't mind. Goff knows what questions will be asked. So he just decided to answer all of them without the hosts having to ask them.

3. Goff said he was shocked to hear Mac support Heyward and hear Mac criticize teammates for not sitting out that game. It was almost like Goff was apologizing to Mac for pegging him, in his mind, as a racist for years. I found that interesting.

4. Then he said even though he doesn't know Danny, he would be there for him in any situation. I kind of don't believe that. But Goff was on a roll.

5. Goff said he loved Mac and that Mac was his inspiration to be on the radio. Don't know if I buy that one either. But it was a nice thing to say. I think Goff was trying to make good with Mac. As we all know, there was tension between the two for years. It was always from Goff's end. Not Mac's. Ya know, the harassment for years with the "Da Ma Na" thing. Goff was kind of trying to say "Sorry" to Mac. Without actually saying it. He was saying it with the compliments. He told Mac to give him a call some time. Mac said he would.

Great recap

:lol: @ #4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:23 pm 

I thought it was good to hear Goff on WSCR. Nobody mentioned Goff said something along the lines of when he was at the Score (in the early days I think) he couldn't say things or do things that other employees could in the workplace. He said he always knew he sort of had to keep to himself and not do or say anything disruptive.

I don't know if he was talking about Mac there? I'll let Beardown dissect and analyze.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Beardown wrote:

You love this shit don’t ya.

Funny insight.

Goff is a goof. Him being black does not make him an authority on race relations. I understand he has many first hand experiences I do not, but the guy has a Jesus complex. He really thinks he’s some kind of philosophical, cultural critic.

Why does he still call his house a crib?

And he was clearly under the influence of something. Which is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:26 am 

Beardown wrote:

Do we really need to recount all the times prior to his firing that Jason did not have the backs of his former co employees? He strongly implied on the air such career damaging things as racism (multiple times), drug addictions, disloyalty, etc. What was the incident he pulled with Mac and then denied it when Mac asked him on the air? If he was not treated well it was because he earned it. He wouldn't give a guy like Sir the time of day socially until the tide had turned on him at the station. Then Laurence suddenly became his brother in arms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 am 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I thought it was good to hear Goff on WSCR. Nobody mentioned Goff said something along the lines of when he was at the Score (in the early days I think) he couldn't say things or do things that other employees could in the workplace. He said he always knew he sort of had to keep to himself and not do or say anything disruptive.

I don't know if he was talking about Mac there? I'll let Beardown dissect and analyze.

which is utter bullshit

He certainly said things without saying about North, Mac, Les, Tommy Williams, etc. during his time.

Goff has never been able to accept the truth that there are reasons far beyond race for why he was not retained. He has done nothing in all of his years in radio to perfect his craft. He learned that Krusty the Clown style of lazy radio production from Bernstein: show up as the opening music starts and scoot out the door as scores are being read at the top of the 6 pm hour. He talks over his co hosts. He asks questions that are indecipherable to the interveiwee. He also has a problem with articulation as he is kind of a mush mouth.

and I am a guy who was a big fan of Goff and drinky's work on air. They could have ushered in a new era at the Score if they weren't so focused on being the coolest guys in the room

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Now is the time to avoid the Score like the plague. Everyone has a gun to their head to to be whining, apologetic, and scripted PC praise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Now is the time to avoid the Score like the plague. Everyone has a gun to their head to to be whining, apologetic, and scripted PC praise.

Goff wrote:
THERE IT IS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:16 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Everyone has a gun to their head to to be whining, apologetic, and scripted PC praise.

Hopefully this guy has a gun to his head.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

which is utter bullshit

He certainly said things without saying about North, Mac, Les, Tommy Williams, etc. during his time.

Goff has never been able to accept the truth that there are reasons far beyond race for why he was not retained. He has done nothing in all of his years in radio to perfect his craft. He learned that Krusty the Clown style of lazy radio production from Bernstein: show up as the opening music starts and scoot out the door as scores are being read at the top of the 6 pm hour. He talks over his co hosts. He asks questions that are indecipherable to the interveiwee. He also has a problem with articulation as he is kind of a mush mouth.

and I am a guy who was a big fan of Goff and drinky's work on air. They could have ushered in a new era at the Score if they weren't so focused on being the coolest guys in the room

Spot on. Both Goff and Drinky are trying to be homecoming king still.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Jason's problem, which has nothing to do with race, is that he talks too fast and way too much. Plus the laugh kills me.

He was great as a part of a three man weave with B&B. He just got exposed with a full time shift.

I still think he could be a great host but paired with the right person(s). I met the dude twice and I think he's a good guy who bought into his own hype a little too much.

Dude can hoop, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
City of Fools wrote:
Jason's problem, which has nothing to do with race, is that he talks too fast and way too much. Plus the laugh kills me.

He was great as a part of a three man weave with B&B. He just got exposed with a full time shift.

I still think he could be a great host but paired with the right person(s). I met the dude twice and I think he's a good guy who bought into his own hype a little too much.

Dude can hoop, that's for sure.

I’m not a true old school score head. I probably started listening around 2000.

I don’t recall what my first memory of Goff was but I do remember when he left for Atlanta and I remember being genuinely happy for him and disappointed for the station.

Then, he came back. Aaaaannnndddddd it was bad from the get go.

What aggrevates me now when he calls in is, as someone else said, the guy has never attempted to get better at his craft. He’s just a yacker. He talks. Has little interest in listening. He claims to champion dialogue and seeking to understand before being understood as virtues but he doesn’t do it at all.

He literally texted Parkins asking to come on yesterday. Then, Danny introduced him and mentioned that Goff asked to come on and Goff immediately chastised him for mentioning it. His defenses are always up and he finds insults where there just aren’t any...

I get why they have him on...but his role of the token black voice who can come on and ramble for 25 minutes is not dialogue.

I’d love to hear a true discussion between him and Doug Granville. Doug is a genuinely thoughtful guy. Goff...he has a perspective to be sure. And there’s value in his perspective but he has a long way to go in terms of delivery, empathy, and personal accountability