It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8/27: Goff calls in
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Crick Ramp wrote:
He literally texted Parkins asking to come on yesterday. Then, Danny introduced him and mentioned that Goff asked to come on and Goff immediately chastised him for mentioning it. His defenses are always up and he finds insults where there just aren’t any...

Yeah, that was very odd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
From what I remember, after Goff said he was surprised what he was hearing from Mac, Mac was quiet for the rest of the segment :lol: :lol: It was Goff and Parkins (mostly Goff) doing the talking. Then at the end Mac says I'll call you tomorrow. Goff says, "No, not so soon. That'd be awkward." Huh? Goff, you're awkward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Crick Ramp wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Jason's problem, which has nothing to do with race, is that he talks too fast and way too much. Plus the laugh kills me.

He was great as a part of a three man weave with B&B. He just got exposed with a full time shift.

I still think he could be a great host but paired with the right person(s). I met the dude twice and I think he's a good guy who bought into his own hype a little too much.

Dude can hoop, that's for sure.

I’m not a true old school score head. I probably started listening around 2000.

I don’t recall what my first memory of Goff was but I do remember when he left for Atlanta and I remember being genuinely happy for him and disappointed for the station.

Then, he came back. Aaaaannnndddddd it was bad from the get go.

What aggrevates me now when he calls in is, as someone else said, the guy has never attempted to get better at his craft. He’s just a yacker. He talks. Has little interest in listening. He claims to champion dialogue and seeking to understand before being understood as virtues but he doesn’t do it at all.

He literally texted Parkins asking to come on yesterday. Then, Danny introduced him and mentioned that Goff asked to come on and Goff immediately chastised him for mentioning it. His defenses are always up and he finds insults where there just aren’t any...

I get why they have him on...but his role of the token black voice who can come on and ramble for 25 minutes is not dialogue.

I’d love to hear a true discussion between him and Doug Granville. Doug is a genuinely thoughtful guy. Goff...he has a perspective to be sure. And there’s value in his perspective but he has a long way to go in terms of delivery, empathy, and personal accountability

he was great with Dan and Terry because a) dude played the drops and therefore I must surmise he has a good sense of humor b) when he chimed in it contributed and would pull Dan or Terry out of whatever lull they'd stumbled into and c) yes, he had great perspective and called it like it was

He says his radio inspiration is McNeil? I'd have guessed the guy from MicroMachines. That's his major problem....talking too much, talking over the top too much. My initial guess was nervousness but then the months unfolded and the pattern never changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Ron Wolfley wrote:
From what I remember, after Goff said he was surprised what he was hearing from Mac, Mac was quiet for the rest of the segment :lol: :lol: It was Goff and Parkins (mostly Goff) doing the talking. Then at the end Mac says I'll call you tomorrow. Goff says, "No, not so soon. That'd be awkward." Huh? Goff, you're awkward.

He bleeds insecurity and to some extent we all define ourselves by what we aren’t. But Goff is oddly antagonistic when there is really no reason to be.

He sung Macs praises in the opening minute and then at the end told the same guy to NOT call him. I’m no psychologist but Goff just emanates narcissism. On the one hand he calls to wish a man Happy Bday then on the other hand tells him how to process his own compliment. Seriously? It’s not all about you Goff. If another person says I’m gonna call you tomorrow you don’t say “no. Don’t do that. It would be awkward.” Duuuuude, it’s not always about you and how you interpret things.

Like I said, I’d like to hear Glanville and him go back n forth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:

There have been many times over the past year or so with Mac that I question whether he hasn't been possessed by some other being because it is so antithetical to his persona of the past 30+ years. Allowing Goff back onto his airwaves for any reason is one of those times. That guy issued some deep cuts to you professionally at your weakest moments Mac. What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

There have been many times over the past year or so with Mac that I question whether he hasn't been possessed by some other being because it is so antithetical to his persona of the past 30+ years. Allowing Goff back onto his airwaves for any reason is one of those times. That guy issued some deep cuts to you professionally at your weakest moments Mac. What gives?

Doesnt Mac have a bury the hatchet history though? Chet, North etc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

He lost his creative edge and fight. Some of that I believe translates into him being more forgiving and understanding. He clearly bites his tongue a whole lot. Better for his career. Worse for listeners.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:07 pm 

I might go find the podcast just to hear him upset that Parkins mentioned the text. That's pretty funny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
What was the incident he pulled with Mac and then denied it when Mac asked him on the air?

He was doing the "damaneeel" thing in response to something about either drug addiction or rehab. I think he did it at the same time that he was getting called up to fill in on middays, which came to an end soon after.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
What was the incident he pulled with Mac and then denied it when Mac asked him on the air?

He was doing the "damaneeel" thing in response to something about either drug addiction or rehab. I think he did it at the same time that he was getting called up to fill in on middays, which came to an end soon after.

Its a shame he didnt have Mac's back while LIl Danny was thanking management for getting rid of him.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Its a shame he didnt have Mac's back while LIl Danny was thanking management for getting rid of him.

Yeah, that was low even for Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:19 pm 

:lol:

This sounds like disastrous radio. What hour and minute mark of the podcast is it?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
After Goff was fired. Mac didn't want to talk just kneeling, but NFL football. Goff tweeted about Mac, "He's one of them (racist)".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:21 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I forgot about that. That is hilariously peak Bernstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
:lol:

This sounds like disastrous radio. What hour and minute mark of the podcast is it?

https://www.radio.com/media/audio-chann ... iew-hour-3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Mac should have buried that little weasel. Instead, Mac just accepts it when Bernstien disingenuously says he loves him.

He doesn't actually love you Mac and he would do it again under similar circumstances. Also, Goff doesn't really want you to call him ever.

Maybe its part of the 12 steps or something. Those guys committed unforgivable acts on him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

I wish we had a best of section with audio files for stuff like that.

Not like Kid Cairo's best of B and B being funny but the truly memorable board stuff like this

Anyone remember what Bernstein said or how he framed it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:41 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Mac should have buried that little weasel. Instead, Mac just accepts it when Bernstien disingenuously says he loves him.

He doesn't actually love you Mac and he would do it again under similar circumstances. Also, Goff doesn't really want you to call him ever.

Maybe its part of the 12 steps or something. Those guys committed unforgivable acts on him.

If I had to guess, being fired and selling cars, losing his dad, COVID, his special needs kid, and his own aging has mellowed him to the point where he just doesnt take all that stuff seriously . Just putting his time in until the 401k looks good enough to hang em up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:42 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Throwing up the CH bat signal .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:44 pm 

Dr Ken had the good sense to record the Al Bundy-Chet Coppock-Boxer who killed a guy in the ring last broadcast.

That was gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:45 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If I had to guess, being fired and selling cars, losing his dad, COVID, his special needs kid, and his own aging has mellowed him to the point where he just doesnt take all that stuff seriously . Just putting his time in until the 401k looks good enough to hang em up.

Yeah he is Terry now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:47 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Didn't he say 2021 will be his last year?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Mitch came on to announce that Patrick Mannelly was the new midday host. Bernstein gave a whole speech about how management had been "loyal to a fault, and permissive to a fault" regarding Mac's sustained absences. Then he said that it was a great day for the Score because now everyone in the lineup had at least a bachelor's. I think that was when the board at large turned on Senor Columnist once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Mitch came on to announce that Patrick Mannelly was the new midday host. Bernstein gave a whole speech about how management had been "loyal to a fault, and permissive to a fault" regarding Mac's sustained absences. Then he said that it was a great day for the Score because now everyone in the lineup had at least a bachelor's. I think that was when the board at large turned on Senor Columnist once and for all.

He used to be really funny, but he was always an asshole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He actually referenced a college degree? I believe you if you say it. But wow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:25 pm 

Really.Smart.People.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

I want to get back to this. I still think the most amazing thing was Goff saying to Mac, I was shocked to hear you be on Heyward's side and against his teammates. It was Goff saying "I was shocked you were on the side of the black guy."

Then Mac responded with "I'm shocked you thought that of me" or something like that. Then Goff interrupted him and went on to talk for 10 straight minutes before Danny was finally able to stop him and ask the one and only question of the interview. Then Goff went on to talk for another 15 minutes without letting the hosts talk.

It was fucking rude, Jason. Mac was trying to have a conversation with you at that point. You ever hear of a conversation? Where you talk, then somebody else talks. You listen to them. They listen to you.

You gotta learn that for real life. But when you go on a radio show as a guest, you can't talk for pretty much 25 straight minutes. Unreal. What's wrong with you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
I want to get back to this. I still think the most amazing thing was Goff saying to Mac, I was shocked to hear you be on Heyward's side and against his teammates. It was Goff saying "I was shocked you were on the side of the black guy."

Then Mac responded with "I'm shocked you thought that of me" or something like that. Then Goff interrupted him and went on to talk for 10 straight minutes before Danny was finally able to stop him and ask the one and only question of the interview. Then Goff went on to talk for another 15 minutes without letting the hosts talk.

It was fucking rude, Jason. Mac was trying to have a conversation with you at that point. You ever hear of a conversation? Where you talk, then somebody else talks. You listen to them. They listen to you.

You gotta learn that for real life. But when you go on a radio show as a guest, you can't talk for pretty much 25 straight minutes. Unreal. What's wrong with you?

In moments like these, where ignorance is on full display, I want to hear from Goff to remove any doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
tommy wrote:
He used to be really funny, but he was always an asshole.

Yep...to the asshole part.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

Goff amuses me. I've always said that. His odd behavior is funny. The things he says that make no sense is funny. His creating drama when there is no drama is funny. He can be funny when he doesn't try to be funny. He doesn't know it, though.

By the way, I'm not talking about some of the things he said on Mac and Parkins show. Some moments where he was talking about being a black guy in America were serious and compelling. Other things were stupid.

But when he basically said to Mac "Man, I used to think you were a racist" and then not allow Mac to respond was very rude. I know he didn't exactly say that. But that's what he was implying.