It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cancel Dan McNeil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:40 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
He probably waited on the advice of counsel. He didn’t want to admit guilt/cause until they figured out his payout. My guess is they quickly settled this, and now he can publicly apologize.

Fair point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Thanks for sharing that Whitlock column, Frank. Good read.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
I mean, he is unknown outside of Chicago. Who knows who Joe Benigno is outside New York, or whoever the WEEI hosts are (Cholly and Sully? i unno) outside Boston? No one, really. But I'd like to imagine that Whitlock is still just smarting over that time Boers and Bernstein tore him up about Cutler.

I remember when he called into B&B after they started ripping on him. I agreed with B&B's take on his column, but Whitlock actually dominated that phone call. B&B could have buried him with his own words, but they refused to read parts of his column back to him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jaw Breaker wrote:
"A week ago, an unknown Chicago shock jock, Dan McNeil, tweeted criticism of an outfit Taylor wore as a Monday Night Football sideline reporter."

Ouch

:lol: I just saw this. Mac is a "shock jock" now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:05 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
"A week ago, an unknown Chicago shock jock, Dan McNeil, tweeted criticism of an outfit Taylor wore as a Monday Night Football sideline reporter."

Ouch

Shock jock as a term should be retired.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Ouch

Shock jock as a term should be retired.

I just googled shock jock and when you scroll down under "People also search for" Ryan Seacrest is listed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Danny Mac should go back to the Drive and bring about a new era in commercial radio: Shock Rock - Playing Stones and Getting You STONED.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:32 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Les played Speigel & Levine interviewing Lester and Thome. S & L gushed praised Lester and the organization. Lester praising himself and teammates for working hard for their millions. Levine actually praising Ross for praisng Lester. Levine went full in Cubs love fest. Then, muscle head Thome praises everyone in the Sox organization. S & L didn't join in in the Sox praise. Just let Thome ramble. It sounded like he was reading off a list mentioning about 20 people.

I don't remember Mac ever going full in on these Cubs scripted love fest interviews like Lester's. He would mostly be silent, and would let Parkins do the ass kissing.

Then, when all the police bs started Mac early on defended the police, saying most do a great job. This had to incense Parkins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
new_user..LOUD NOISES wrote:
Yeah it's Gottlieb who is wrong here.

Can't they both be wrong?

It’s a valid question why she gets a vote. She’s clearly not an analyst or attentive to the job.

LeBatard used to have one, sold it and didn't take much grief. And he has more integrity than most mvp voters who never played anything at a high level. But a Black woman who played the sport, and actively covers the sport...the horror.

Race baitin'!!! He had his vote taken away, and it was a major story. I guess everyone who played basketball in high school should get a vote. And sideline Barbie "covers" the league without ever having to read anything apparently.

I find it particularly funny that a goof like you gets so animated about an mvp vote in the hands of an ex high level athlete who actively covers the sport, working for the league's corporate partner. And apparently only her race bothers you. And you irrationally claim that it's her lack of "reading".

Predictably. Always the same bigoted note.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:13 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:

Did Whitlock ever have an interesting thought about anything sports? Beyond his perversion for verbally fellating Jeff George.

Or complaining on his former show about losing weight to try and attract women?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Regular Reader wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Did Whitlock ever have an interesting thought about anything sports?

No

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Did Whitlock ever have an interesting thought about anything sports? Beyond his perversion for verbally fellating Jeff George.

Or complaining on his former show about losing weight to try and attract women?

A long, long time ago. When he was on "Sports Reporters".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 am 

Whitlock was a very good football writer. He just went totally scorched earth on Katie Nolan btw.

Quote:
Social media is the driver of false narratives. Nolan is one of the best examples. She’s White Lives Matter. Over Twitter and Instagram, everyone pretends she’s rip-roaring funny and talented. We pretend she’s a victim of a sexist, male-dominated industry. If you question the narrative, you’re labeled as sexist.

Nolan is Michael Brown, hands up don’t shoot. We all know it’s a lie but we continue with the facade because it’s not worth the backlash.

She was lazy and spoiled at Fox Sports. She’s lazy and spoiled at ESPN. Her most consistent skill is complaining about a lack of support and using smitten writers to advance the narrative that she is mistreated.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:56 am 

And she locked down her Twitter:

https://twitter.com/katienolan?lang=en

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
He's not entirely wrong about Katie Nolan. At a time when everyone is supposed to hate all sports media personalities from Boston, that never applied to Katie Nolan. Wonder why.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
He's not entirely wrong about Katie Nolan. At a time when everyone is supposed to hate all sports media personalities from Boston, that never applied to Katie Nolan. Wonder why.

There is 1 reason Katie Nolan is on TV and it isn't her sports thoughts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'm 90 percent sure I only know of her because of GIFs posted here. If she's really making that much money how is she still there? They launched so many other journalists. And Maria Taylor must be making a ridiculous amount of money.

The Missing Link wrote:

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I'm 90 percent sure I only know of her because of GIFs posted here. If she's really making that much money how is she still there? They launched so many other journalists. And Marie Taylor must be making a ridiculous amount of money.

Tad needs to bring back that avatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Whitlock was a very good football writer. He just went totally scorched earth on Katie Nolan btw.

Scorched earth is right...wow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Imagine if that was Mac or another middle aged white guy making those comments...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
I like Nolan but she's probably not long for ESPN anyway, her TV show got moved to ESPN+ before being canceled entirely, and she's mentioned on her podcast that her contract is up soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Imagine if that was Mac or another middle aged white guy making those comments...

Mac was fired for far, far less.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I enjoy Katie in small doses.

Once you’ve seen enough of her you realize her sports knowledge is extremely limited to pro football and hockey.

So I agree she is ridiculously overpaid.

On a side note, about a year ago she was supposed to do a cohost hour with Lebatard and StuGotz at their Miami studio. She was late, and it seemed to really piss Dan off as it had been a problem before. He said something to the effect of, “You make all this money, but consistently cannot show up on time.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
That was outstanding. She is still 100 times more knowledgeable about sports than Jules.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
I can't get the article to load. Did blue-checks and horny guys DDOS the site?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Beansie's pizzeria
Curious Hair wrote:
I can't get the article to load. Did blue-checks and horny guys DDOS the site?

Whitlock's article on Katie Nolan? It loaded for me. Anyway, here it is in its entirety:

Quote:
Katie Nolan is Karen, the epitome of white privilege masked by woke posturing and protected by the white and black media elites allegedly dedicated to ending white privilege.

Katie Nolan’s television career and the protected space she’s occupied within the industry for eight years expose the fraudulence of the social justice warriors ruling the mainstream sports media and blogosphere.

Jemele Hill, Bomani Jones, Dan Le Batard, Sarah Spain, Pablo Torre, Shannon Sharpe, Nick Wright and countless others love to bloviate about the white privilege, racism, sexism, homophobism, trans-race-sex-phobism of people hundreds and thousands of miles away from their television or podcast studios.

They won’t utter a word about the person right next to them, even if that person embodies the very thing they say they’re fighting to end.

Karen Nolan and the people allegedly fighting to end white privilege are the people who actually support the system that maintains white privilege.

I gotta hand it to them. These damn liberals are brilliant. Whatever they truly support they publicly claim they despise.

Sunday, I wrote a column advising ESPN’s super-talented Maria Taylor to avoid making the Twitter-inspired mistake that undermined Michelle Beadle’s and Jemele Hill’s promising careers. Avoid wallowing in victimhood and don’t allow social media to convince you that sports fans are stupid and racist. Within the column I referenced “beauty privilege” and pointed out that Nolan had ridden that privilege to a 7-figure salary and a Sports Emmy Award despite a paper-thin resume and even less on-camera ability.

It was a passing observation, not the focus of my column. Nolan took offense. She tweeted a response to my remark:

“You’re this close to making an actual point about the expectation of women to not only be good at their job but also beautiful, but actual points don’t pay the bills huh. Keep this same energy next time I see you though.”

Her response is weak. I should probably let it go. I’m punching down. But I can’t help it.

Nolan epitomizes everything I find fraudulent about this era of sports journalism, this era of corporate politics. Narrative has eliminated facts and any semblance of a meritocracy.

She’s cast herself as a victim when she’s the most pampered and protected person in sports media. In an industry that values live television, she can’t do live TV. She’s not the next Hannah Storm, Linda Cohn, Michelle Beadle, Robin Roberts, Sage Steele or Maria Taylor — broadcasters with the rare and valuable skill of being engaging and personable in front of a red light.

Nolan is adequate at reading the words of other writers on tape. She’s paid more than a million dollars for work that would earn virtually every other man or woman with her resume $50,000. She’s not a journalist, like Mina Kimes. She’s not informed, prepared and knowledgeable, like Doris Burke. Nolan is adept at working the grievance system.

She’s a flaming example of how the business world has been forced to mirror academia. Executives huddle in their corner offices and mandate the outcomes they desire. Seven years ago, a Fox Sports executive, Pete Vlastelica, decided Karen Nolan would be a sports television star. He talked his friends in the blogosphere into joining his campaign to tout the then-26-year-old Nolan as the future of sports television.

Awful Announcing treated Nolan like she was Lil Oprah Winfrey. Eventually Richard Deitsch and Sports Illustrated jumped on board, and then the rest of the media followed in.

The next thing you know, Fox Sports and ESPN are in a holy war to secure the long-term services of a TV personality who raised hell and cried every time she was tasked with doing live television, a personality with a niche audience barely big enough to fill a Southwest Airlines flight to Bugtussle.

For a solid year, blogs and mainstream outlets repeatedly blasted Fox Sports for failing to turn Karen Nolan into Chris Berman.

In 2015, with no supporting evidence, The Atlantic hailed Nolan as the future of sports television. At the time, she was doing a show appropriately named “Garbage Time” that drew 40,000 viewers. It was a 22-minute show that took Karen and her staff a full week to prepare. Her highlight moment was her brave and incisive commentary calling former Cowboy pass-rusher Greg Hardy a “garbage human being.”

Yeah, the entire world had already criticized Hardy and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, but when Nolan read the words “garbage human being” that someone wrote in her teleprompter, well, the conversation about domestic violence went to the next level.

GQ Magazine fell in love with writing about Nolan. In 2016, GQ hired Drew Magary to write a fawning piece about Karen centered on her dumping on her alleged friend and peer Julie Stewart-Binks for accepting a faux lap dance from Rob Gronkowski. Two years later, GQ followed up with a long profile piece on Nolan focused on her arrival at ESPN.

No one in sports media — not Stephen A. Smith, not Colin Cowherd, not Rachel Nichols, not Scott Van Pelt, not Kirk Herbstreit, not Skip Bayless, not Erin Andrews — has had more fawning words written about them than Katie Nolan.

It’s white hot privilege. You punch her name into Google and you could spend the next month reading everything you need to know about a TV personality without a single legitimate accomplishment. Oh, that’s right she accepted an Emmy Award for Outstanding Social TV Experience.

It’s really the Outstanding Social Media rigjob.

Social media is the driver of false narratives. Nolan is one of the best examples. She’s White Lives Matter. Over Twitter and Instagram, everyone pretends she’s rip-roaring funny and talented. We pretend she’s a victim of a sexist, male-dominated industry. If you question the narrative, you’re labeled as sexist.

Nolan is Michael Brown, hands up don’t shoot. We all know it’s a lie but we continue with the facade because it’s not worth the backlash.

She was lazy and spoiled at Fox Sports. She’s lazy and spoiled at ESPN. Her most consistent skill is complaining about a lack of support and using smitten writers to advance the narrative that she is mistreated.

The entire sports media industry — white and black — has pandered in celebration of Karen Nolan’s white life. But these are the people determined to end white privilege?

It’s laughable. Hill, Jones, Le Batard, Sharpe, Wright, Spain, Torre, Deitsch and all the rest fight to keep power in the hands of the white liberal executives who will sit in their glassed offices and determine outcomes that favor their puppets.

Hill, Jones, Le Batard and Co., are no different from Nolan. They don’t want to compete in a meritocracy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:45 pm 

His NFL Truths column is back as well. It was always good. Starts with this:

Quote:
Deer Jayson:

My publicty-ist was reading me your collum last week and I gotta say I became aroused hearing about football and stuff. You no I broke up wit Offside. We getting divorced. He couldn’t handle this #WAP. Robert Craft and Joe Biding are trying to holla. But I need Big Sexy.

XOXO

Cardi Bee

:lol:

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 pm 

Whitlock took a flamethrower to Nolan there... Damn that was something

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
So we all are in agreement about white privilege now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next