It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Saying callers improve sports radio is like saying that letting fans take a snap at quarterback would improve football. It would be fun to see the fan get crushed and that's it.

B&B was at its best when they would let some dumbass caller make an ass of themselves and then Terry would laugh at them and Dan would scream at them.

Callers were part of the experience. I mean we got "quotes of the year" from callers. Without callers we don't get "well maybe Mike North knows" or "What about Danks?"

That's suedeoscience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
B&B callers, including Mike from Milwaukee, Bob in Niles and some caller who gets a "Go fuck yourself" in on Bernstein before being dropped

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSXSUbSz47QUSyAe3jKA3QW6GNRPz6bSt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:47 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
You see what happened here? The subject was Mac's dismissal. I post about a discussion I had with him about the station no longer taking calls, like it did for decades. This whole thread turns on a dime and the discussion is about the station taking calls.

That is what a call on the air can do. It can provoke discussion on a subject the hosts were not even considering prior to the call. It can get further participation from callers wanting to support or oppose that callers opinion as well. It can make for great radio. It did for a lot of years. You get Mike North back on the Score taking calls.....the ratings double.

You're correct. Without callers you become heavily dependent on the personalities of the hosts to drive the show. When you have rather vanilla personalities doing the driving it can be torture.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:00 pm 

Now that you can make an HD call and not sound like you're on a tin can, there should be more, not less, listener involvement. That's how you distinguish yourself from podcasts. There are enough hours in a day to balance open phone lines with purely host/guest content.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Saying callers improve sports radio is like saying that letting fans take a snap at quarterback would improve football. It would be fun to see the fan get crushed and that's it.

B&B was at its best when they would let some dumbass caller make an ass of themselves and then Terry would laugh at them and Dan would scream at them.

Callers were part of the experience. I mean we got "quotes of the year" from callers. Without callers we don't get "well maybe Mike North knows" or "What about Danks?"

Who didn't laugh when the Monsters would play Hendrix?

Or "One toke over the line" on the HFC?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That's suedeoscience.

"lose the number, lose every number"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Not only do they need more calls, but they need more calls from people named Bob, excluding Caller Bob of course

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 pm 

Didn't the guy who gave us Steak Dinner Boom almost immediately call back or email the station to apologize for being an idiot?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 pm 

He might have been dumb but Bernstein essentially did a "back of the synagogue...boom" when Theo was hired, with about the same amount of evidence to support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 pm 

It couldn't have been when Theo was hired, it was about him making stadium deals with Rahm Emanuel or something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
long time guy wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
In short, unless you can bring it like Wild Bill RIP used to, I don't want to hear caller thoughts on air. Easy PTFB for me on any show.

The callers have value. One of the best things that taking calls did was it allowed the hosts and the station to gauge what the interest happened to be on a particular topic. It seems that one of the biggest complaints that I hear on here is from people that hate to be force-fed topics and views all of the time. Taking calls helped eliminate that because when people were disinterested in hearing about something they tended to call less often. Phone lines tended to be empty thus that was a signal to move on to another topic.

Another thing that would happen as a result of taking calls was that often times something that had not previously been discussed would get discussed. Often from something that emanated from the mind of a caller.

The no caller thing only works if you have the sort of guests that Chet would pump out. The score usually didn't have the those sort of guests. Typically they'd have some local scribe on to bash Reinsdorf, McCaskey, or the Tribune and that would be about it.

You make a good point. I think callers are better if they have a coherent question for the guest, but you can't let meatball callers ask Jed Hoyer "why does Bryant suck after he was hit in the head?"

There are just so many bad callers. That's in part on the producers. And Les.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
long time guy wrote:
In short, unless you can bring it like Wild Bill RIP used to, I don't want to hear caller thoughts on air. Easy PTFB for me on any show.

The callers have value. One of the best things that taking calls did was it allowed the hosts and the station to gauge what the interest happened to be on a particular topic. It seems that one of the biggest complaints that I hear on here is from people that hate to be force-fed topics and views all of the time. Taking calls helped eliminate that because when people were disinterested in hearing about something they tended to call less often. Phone lines tended to be empty thus that was a signal to move on to another topic.

Another thing that would happen as a result of taking calls was that often times something that had not previously been discussed would get discussed. Often from something that emanated from the mind of a caller.

The no caller thing only works if you have the sort of guests that Chet would pump out. The score usually didn't have the those sort of guests. Typically they'd have some local scribe on to bash Reinsdorf, McCaskey, or the Tribune and that would be about it.

You make a good point. I think callers are better if they have a coherent question for the guest, but you can't let meatball callers ask Jed Hoyer "why does Bryant suck after he was hit in the head?"

Yeah. I remember the golden age of callers. Like whenever I'd hear, "here is City of Fools", I knew it was time to turn the radio off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yeah. I remember the golden age of callers. Like whenever I'd hear, "here is City of Fools", I knew it was time to turn the radio off.

ZINGER ALERT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I actually hated that part of B&B. It was so excruciatingly embarrassing, I would have to change the channel. Callers add virtually nothing to the sports radio experience. There might have been some golden age of callers in the 90's, but even if they started taking more calls tomorrow, I don't think that would come back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
I just can’t do it. I’ll make an exception for Grobber when I go back to work - I generally catch the 4 AM hour.

It looks like I’ll be a 720/780 man going forward. I can’t do 105.9 - I heard an update guy making smacking sounds with his lips when he talked, and I quickly determined that such audio clarity is not for me. I have a coworker who does that, and I’d like nothing more than for him to die a slow, painful death. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Lets just start a station with this site.

I want my own show.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

and yet, the quality of the product has decreased commensurate with listener participation

Weekends are caller heavy and its pretty good listen. That might be because the games occurring focus the callers or the hosts are more of the seasonal expert variety and so, focus the callers.

Depends who you ask. I don't long for the 90s Score and much prefer the format, not all the hosts, over the last 10 years. I want intelligent, witty hosts discussing sports topics and interviews with sports experts. If I want to listen to rah, rah meathead fan calls I'd go sit at a bar after work and listen to 40 and 50-year olds talk about sports.

ask the ratings book

do you think you have intelligent, witty hosts discussing sports topics now?

None of the hosts are perfect but there are elements of Bernstein, Parkins, Spiegel, and Mac that make/made me enjoy listening to them. In addition to intelligent and wit, having a sense of humor, being a good storyteller, being interesting, and having a generally agreeable personality are important as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

and yet, the quality of the product has decreased commensurate with listener participation

Weekends are caller heavy and its pretty good listen. That might be because the games occurring focus the callers or the hosts are more of the seasonal expert variety and so, focus the callers.

Depends who you ask. I don't long for the 90s Score and much prefer the format, not all the hosts, over the last 10 years. I want intelligent, witty hosts discussing sports topics and interviews with sports experts. If I want to listen to rah, rah meathead fan calls I'd go sit at a bar after work and listen to 40 and 50-year olds talk about sports.

ask the ratings book

None of the hosts are perfect but there are elements of Bernstein, Parkins, Spiegel, and Mac that make/made me enjoy listening to them. In addition to intelligent and wit, having a sense of humor, being a good storyteller, being interesting, and having a generally agreeable personality are important as well.

Good points....let's itemize them:
- Intelligent: I don't think any of the hosts are dumb, but....there's being intelligent and then trying to sound OVERLY-intelligent. That's a trend we've seen over the last 10 years.
- Wit: This is long gone
- Sense of Humor: This is long gone
- Good Storyteller: Also long gone.....
- Interesting: Nope.....there's much more reading of news updates, interviews. Same thing you get on TV and every other media. Sports talk radio lost everything that made them unique by taking out the interaction with callers. All the other crap can be found elsewhere
- Agreeable Personality: This may be true, but I don't find it very relevant. I don't need them to be agreeable. Arguably they're more agreeable and soft now then they were in their prime.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I had a conversation today with a friend who is a teacher in her fifties who is planning on retiring at sixty. One theme that kept on coming up interspersed with the political discussion is that more and more people know how to generate content (the 8th grade girls in her class try to get her to do TikToc inspired dances) but fewer and fewer people understand how to generate useful, intelligent but not condescending or demeaning content.

Goes straight to BigW72's point about the quality at 670.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
BigW72 wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

ask the ratings book

Good points....let's itemize them:
- Intelligent: I don't think any of the hosts are dumb, but....there's being intelligent and then trying to sound OVERLY-intelligent. That's a trend we've seen over the last 10 years.
- Wit: This is long gone
- Sense of Humor: This is long gone
- Good Storyteller: Also long gone.....
- Interesting: Nope.....there's much more reading of news updates, interviews. Same thing you get on TV and every other media. Sports talk radio lost everything that made them unique by taking out the interaction with callers. All the other crap can be found elsewhere
- Agreeable Personality: This may be true, but I don't find it very relevant. I don't need them to be agreeable. Arguably they're more agreeable and soft now then they were in their prime.

Based on your assessments I can see why you don’t want to listen to those shows. I generally enjoy all of those hosts and disagree with your opinions on them. Thankfully there are lots of listening options.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6