It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am 

What are you going to do with it?

You may not have wanted it but you are now the face of the station. That crown is heavy as there are scores of employees and their families counting on you as the station is facing an existential crises.

Honestly, I think you need to devise some kind of vision for how you would like the product to look. Bernstein obviously had one during his vomitous run as the FOTS. North did as well during his era. Now it's your time.

The good thing is you are sailing with some headwind right now. The Sox and Cubs will both make the playoffs. Bears season has not yet disintegrated. College football has finally figured itself out. There are sports assets with which to work.

However, to continue the nautical analogy, the station is kind of rudderless right now and Mitch just isn't the type of leader to change that

My recommendation would be to get back to basics with the voice of the fan. Fans can speak about social issues. However that has not been a real ratings winner either when North tried to do it as a conservative or Bernstein tried the opposite. I think there is an ability to blend.

However, its september and the freaking Sox AND Cubs are in first place. That's an historic gift sitting right there in your lap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
yeah, don't fuck this up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If he is the face of the station.....the captain of the ship.....it's already screwed up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am 

He already told us yesterday. He did his Red Guard public renouncement of the person who started him in the industry. He praised that one mistake can cost you are career because "words hurt". And he repeatedly told us home much he hated the Tweet, and how terrible it was. Be prepared for more joyless lectures on teh

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Danny P will get to supervise the final death of The Score or at least its eventual transition to new owners who may have very different ideas on its direction once Entercom folds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 am 

How long did Parkins spend on Mac? What else did he say?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It’s just a shame that wearing that mask couldn’t prevent Mac’s career from dying.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
badrogue17 wrote:
It’s just a shame that wearing that mask couldn’t prevent Mac’s career from dying.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Just be nice to girls, Danny. That's the key. Always say they're great even when they're not. No jokes about them. Just praise them. Always praise them.

Seriously, I wonder if they will give Danny a new partner. Spiegel is the obvious answer. But Mitch's bosses might say "Fuck it". Let's save the damn money and make him go solo.

We now have 3 solo shows in the day part at the SCORE.

I think Danny would prefer being solo anyway. He doesn't want a partner. More money for him potentially on his next contract if he gets the ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:15 am 

Beardown wrote:
Just be nice to girls, Danny. That's the key. Always say they're great even when they're not. No jokes about them. Just praise them. Always praise them.

Seriously, I wonder if they will give Danny a new partner. Spiegel is the obvious answer. But Mitch's bosses might say "Fuck it". Let's save the damn money and make him go solo.

We now have 3 solo shows in the day part at the SCORE.

I think Danny would prefer being solo anyway. He doesn't want a partner. More money for him potentially on his next contract if he gets the ratings.

Well he did say how excited he was about the opportunity. He didn't seem sad about it.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
"Thought Leaders".

'Nuff said - dunzo.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
rogers park bryan wrote:
How long did Parkins spend on Mac? What else did he say?

He also said he'd like to say more but he can't. I viewed his comments as saying what he needed to say to give him cover on the issue but not crushing Mac in the process.

I suspect he feels the Tweet was a mistake but the punishment was too severe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:43 am 

I don't have a problem with his Mac send off. It was a little harsh to call him his drunk uncle, considering the context, but I think they are friends. Friends sometimes do that to each other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Soup Kitchen
One interesting thing is just how much Bernstein is an obscure non-factor right now. Not that he cares, but he's irrelevant in the big picture at the station.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
If he is the face of the station.....the captain of the ship.....it's already screwed up.

You’re not often right, but you are in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:01 pm 

Coolest Guy in the Room wrote:
One interesting thing is just how much Bernstein is an obscure non-factor right now. Not that he cares, but he's irrelevant in the big picture at the station.

its only interesting because he has the experience, skills and radio voice to be a big time player in the market. but he doesnt want it. family guy, happy to have a cute easy job, dont rock boat ever for any reason, cash paycheck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I don't have a problem with his Mac send off. It was a little harsh to call him his drunk uncle, considering the context, but I think they are friends. Friends sometimes do that to each other.

sometimes? we harass eachother at work non stop. we take it to extremes that would get us fired immediately if the wrong people heard us. not really sure how they havent to be honest. i think theyre scared to come in our shop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: She/Him
I caught about 20 minutes today before I started feeling a strong malaise that consumed a small, unrecoverable part of my soul. It appears to be gone forever. Thanks, Parkins.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
I was a day-one guy and have been growing more disillusioned over time, but I’m done with the station now.

As if the initial overreaction and quick dismissal wasn’t enough, in short order we had such station luminaries as Leery, Zawaski, and Parkins shamelessly and stupidly trying to score SJW points, and stabbing their now ex-coworker in the back, knowing there’d be no immediate and direct reprisal from Mac himself. What absolute spineless pussies.

For Parkins to break bad on Mac out of the gate is especially galling. There’s a special working relationship of some sort there, if only as day-to-day (maybe a couple times a week) partners. I didn’t like Parkins initially. As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. Turns out I was right. Opportunistic, no-loyalty weasel, in no small part a product of upbringing. Though I guess sometimes you just lay a turd and produce an actual shitbag through little fault of your own.

Jay-Z and Maxim Boy are another story. Who asked for their ten cents? In what alternative universe do they live that they think people are itching to hear them condemn this tweet most foul? The fact they chimed in at all tells you how stupid and short-sighted they are. Those responses are no-win. Anyone who dumbassedly nods their head with them already is on the team. Morons.

Bernstein was smart to STFU. But he knows he has to; Boobgate 2.0 is lurking. He knows screenshots of the tweet are out and about. And I also think he very begrudgingly likes and respects Mac, though he doesn’t know how to deal with those troubling feelings. It’s probably harder for him to come to grips with that realization than it would be if he were gay, which he probably wishes he were, if only for social capital. Anyway, I’m sure he’ll let things die down, then take veiled shots at Mac down the road.

What really is in it for me at this point? I can change listening habits, and really, any habit, except for drinking. Actually, not true; I can drink different things. Things won’t change there anytime soon. There’s no reason to think they will

Can you imagine being an on-air guy and having to work with those twats? I can’t even listen to them at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:36 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Coolest Guy in the Room wrote:

I wouldn't count him out. If Parkins falters, and with no one above the PD to meddle in programming, Mitch could hit the panic button and reunite Dan with Laurence "In For The Vacationing Terry Boers" Holmes for a return to the comfortable old days, bumping Parkins back to middays.

Jim Rome runs 11-2 Central, I would expect at least two of those hours to appear on the Score in 2021.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's not Danny's station.

North once owned it. Bernstein once owned it. Mac was actually equal to North during the early days.

It's nobody's now.

North and Bernstein were unique when they owned it.

You can't do that anymore. Everybody now will be the same. It's just the way life is in media now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:56 pm 

Beardown wrote:
It's not Danny's station.

North once owned it. Bernstein once owned it. Mac was actually equal to North during the early days.

It's nobody's now.

North and Bernstein were unique when they owned it.

You can't do that anymore. Everybody now will be the same. It's just the way life is in media now.

Who of the current crop is willing to put in the time to be creative? Who’s willing to take risks? Who’s willing to put real time on a regular basis into show prep?

Murph was an F’n weirdo, but at least he did the work, and it showed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Opie wrote:
I was a day-one guy and have been growing more disillusioned over time, but I’m done with the station now.

As if the initial overreaction and quick dismissal wasn’t enough, in short order we had such station luminaries as Leery, Zawaski, and Parkins shamelessly and stupidly trying to score SJW points, and stabbing their now ex-coworker in the back, knowing there’d be no immediate and direct reprisal from Mac himself. What absolute spineless pussies.

For Parkins to break bad on Mac out of the gate is especially galling. There’s a special working relationship of some sort there, if only as day-to-day (maybe a couple times a week) partners. I didn’t like Parkins initially. As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. Turns out I was right. Opportunistic, no-loyalty weasel, in no small part a product of upbringing. Though I guess sometimes you just lay a turd and produce an actual shitbag through little fault of your own.

Jay-Z and Maxim Boy are another story. Who asked for their ten cents? In what alternative universe do they live that they think people are itching to hear them condemn this tweet most foul? The fact they chimed in at all tells you how stupid and short-sighted they are. Those responses are no-win. Anyone who dumbassedly nods their head with them already is on the team. Morons.

Bernstein was smart to STFU. But he knows he has to; Boobgate 2.0 is lurking. He knows screenshots of the tweet are out and about. And I also think he very begrudgingly likes and respects Mac, though he doesn’t know how to deal with those troubling feelings. It’s probably harder for him to come to grips with that realization than it would be if he were gay, which he probably wishes he were, if only for social capital. Anyway, I’m sure he’ll let things die down, then take veiled shots at Mac down the road.

What really is in it for me at this point? I can change listening habits, and really, any habit, except for drinking. Actually, not true; I can drink different things. Things won’t change there anytime soon. There’s no reason to think they will

Can you imagine being an on-air guy and having to work with those twats? I can’t even listen to them at this point.

This is a great post.

And, yes, Dan B. should be very afraid. He is going to be sucking so many dicks in the upcoming weeks his lips are going to bleed.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:14 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Les Grobstein now owns the station. Congrats Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 am 

Opie wrote:
As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. .

I'm sure you learned to sniff out other dudes quickly at your all boys school, cake eater.

Go Wolfpack!

Welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Opie wrote:
As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. .

I'm sure you learned to sniff out other dudes quickly at your all boys school, cake eater.

Go Wolfpack!

Welcome to the board.

Great, another guy who's parents paid for a second rate education at a Jesuit institution.

I'm here to help you as well Opie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:21 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Opie wrote:

Well, a sizable portion of the male faculty was interested in sniffing out other dudes. When the girls arrived I’m ‘98, they borrowed Paul Lynde’s line: “This place smells like pussy...I think.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I listened to Parkins’ opening comments. It seemed to me that he wanted to say the punishment was too great. He alluded to not being able to say certain things on the air. Reading between the lines, I think he felt a suspension was more appropriate.

But the rest of his chatter was the usual PC bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:35 am 

denisdman wrote:
I listened to Parkins’ opening comments. It seemed to me that he wanted to say the punishment was too great. He alluded to not being able to say certain things on the air. Reading between the lines, I think he felt a suspension was more appropriate.

That was my take. Parkins wasn't bad to him. I think it was a little strong to say "people you love do things you hate". Mac didn't commit some heinous crime. This isn't your finding out some deep dark secret about your favorite uncle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am 

good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

That was my take. Parkins wasn't bad to him. I think it was a little strong to say "people you love do things you hate". Mac didn't commit some heinous crime. This isn't your finding out some deep dark secret about your favorite uncle.

I think everyone at The Score is in survival mode, and if you have to overstate the crimes of Dan McNeil to make sure you stay on the good side of the people on twitter who decide The Score lineup then you do it.