It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I listened to Parkins’ opening comments. It seemed to me that he wanted to say the punishment was too great. He alluded to not being able to say certain things on the air. Reading between the lines, I think he felt a suspension was more appropriate.

But the rest of his chatter was the usual PC bullshit.

That was my take. Parkins wasn't bad to him. I think it was a little strong to say "people you love do things you hate". Mac didn't commit some heinous crime. This isn't your finding out some deep dark secret about your favorite uncle.

I think everyone at The Score is in survival mode, and if you have to overstate the crimes of Dan McNeil to make sure you stay on the good side of the people on twitter who decide The Score lineup then you do it.

Think of how fucked up it is though when we have a society that considers McNeil a "bad guy" for a dumb tweet while many are demanding the release of violent criminals in the name of "justice".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I listened to Parkins’ opening comments. It seemed to me that he wanted to say the punishment was too great. He alluded to not being able to say certain things on the air. Reading between the lines, I think he felt a suspension was more appropriate.

That was my take. Parkins wasn't bad to him. I think it was a little strong to say "people you love do things you hate". Mac didn't commit some heinous crime. This isn't your finding out some deep dark secret about your favorite uncle.

Exactly. And if I have to bust out my secret decoder ring and sift through the drivel and ass-covering in order to read between the lines, he did a shitty job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Think of how fucked up it is though when we have a society that considers McNeil a "bad guy" for a dumb tweet while many are demanding the release of violent criminals in the name of "justice".
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but 2020 has been a little strange.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I think everyone at The Score is in survival mode, and if you have to overstate the crimes of Dan McNeil to make sure you stay on the good side of the people on twitter who decide The Score lineup then you do it.

I get the rationale. It's every-man-for-himself time. I just don't agree with the way it was handled. Parkins could've shown more loyalty. Go ahead and say it was a stupid thing to tweet, but there was too much disavowing. The whole "thought leader" thing, as if Mac failed the listeners in that regard, wrongly assuming there should be a "that regard", and that Parkins won't be as churlish. Please. I'd be pretty pissed at Parkins if I were Mac.

And there's still no good reason for Leery and Zawaski to say a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Some people there legitimately did Danny Mac dirty and Zawaski is chief among them. I hope that giant tub of lard is ready to offer some Uber rides when his 2nd job at Illinois Media School goes away once regulators wise up to that scam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Some people there legitimately did Danny Mac dirty and Zawaski is chief among them. I hope that giant tub of lard is ready to offer some Uber rides when his 2nd job at Illinois Media School goes away once regulators wise up to that scam.

Zawaski appears to be a real smug piece shit with very little integrity. It seems like it will only be a matter of time until he receives his comeuppance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Opie wrote:
I didn’t like Parkins initially. As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. Turns out I was right. Opportunistic, no-loyalty weasel, in no small part a product of upbringing.

I know you said this about Parkins Opie, but I think it applies in a broad way to much of what is posted on social media.

The opportunistic nature of the SJW crowd is rarely noticed.

Their lack of loyalty to anything other than clicks or likes makes the social media stratosphere such a miserable and lonely place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Parko could at best be Bernsie, which means the station at best needs to pair him with someone who's funny.

I think the only guy they have left at the station that could fill that role would be Z-Pac. And I haven't heard enough of him to be sure. Otherwise it's gotta be an outside guy.

The station will literally kill itself if there are three major shows out of four with only one host. That is instant death. It cannot keep going on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:39 am 

I think the only logical partner for Parkins is Bernstein but they don't have enough money to add more full time people in the daytime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Seacrest wrote:
Opie wrote:
I didn’t like Parkins initially. As a non-North Shore Loyola Academy guy, I think I had him properly sniffed out immediately, but was willing to give him a chance. Turns out I was right. Opportunistic, no-loyalty weasel, in no small part a product of upbringing.

I know you said this about Parkins Opie, but I think it applies in a broad way to much of what is posted on social media.

Their lack of loyalty to anything other than clicks or likes makes the social media stratosphere such a miserable and lonely place.

I never thought about it like that. Your last two sentences explain a lot. I said this a few years back that while I fully support free speech, I have found most of social media to be a net negative. It has that junior high kind of quality to it where everyone is trying be popular, and many get hurt along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think the only logical partner for Parkins is Bernstein but they don't have enough money to add more full time people in the daytime.

I think it would be a slightly better version of McDoink. Basically an echo chamber, unless Bernsie could shift to the role of Terry, or they could find something to argue about....
yeah, I guess it could work. But Bernsie's probably not going to fight back much at this stage of his career. And I think those two guys just agree way too much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Opie wrote:

I never thought about it like that. Your last two sentences explain a lot. I said this a few years back that while I fully support free speech, I have found most of social media to be a net negative. It has that junior high kind of quality to it where everyone is trying be popular, and many get hurt along the way.

Social media has positives, but it is currently a net negative. Big time.

The pressure put on young women by the likes of the Kardashians on places like Snapchat and Instagram is incredible. Women feeling ashamed of themselves for no other reason than not living up to a false narrative playing out on a constant loop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 am 

Spiegs is still the best partner for Parkins but Entercom is not giving anyone full-time paper

They fired Mac to save money and that is the entirety of it

Perhaps whoever buys 670 in the bankruptcy fire sale may be willing to invest something in the station and do it, but not until then.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:03 am 

Seacrest wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Opie wrote:

Social media has positives, but it is currently a net negative. Big time.

The pressure put on young women by the likes of the Kardashians on places like Snapchat and Instagram is incredible. Women feeling ashamed of themselves for no other reason than not living up to a false narrative playing out on a constant loop.

We are in full agreement. Your comments make perfect sense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
City of Fools wrote:
Parko could at best be Bernsie, which means the station at best needs to pair him with someone who's funny.

I think the only guy they have left at the station that could fill that role would be Z-Pac. And I haven't heard enough of him to be sure. Otherwise it's gotta be an outside guy.

The station will literally kill itself if there are three major shows out of four with only one host. That is instant death. It cannot keep going on.

Might as well make the midday show a national one then. D&D will work together on afternoon drive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol:

I don't want this to turn into yet another political discussion after all the work we've done to keep that shit off the front page, but it's hard for that not to happen when something like Mac's firing is so obviously informed and driven by the current political climate.

We've lost all perspective. The likely next vice president is visiting a rapist in the hospital to tell him how proud of him she is. A corporate football league has players wearing the names of murderers on their helmets. But Dan McNeil is a real bad guy because he joked about a sideline reporter's outfit.

This is what happens when we elevate people's feelings to our highest value. Did Mac's tweet hurt Maria Taylor's feelings? Probably. We've all had our feelings hurt. It certainly isn't good. But here's what we seem to have forgotten. Not only have we all had our feelings hurt, we've all hurt the feelings of others. We seem all too willing to own one thing and not the other.

Nobody remembers Jesus's admonition about letting he who is without sin cast the first stone. We've become a nation of stone casters enabled, aided, and abetted by social media.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Opie wrote:

I don't really understand the mentality (espoused by Julie and others) that they needed to be on social media "for their jobs." Did anyone care what Dan McNeil said on Twitter "for his job"?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't want this to turn into yet another political discussion after all the work we've done to keep that shit off the front page, but it's hard for that not to happen when something like Mac's firing is so obviously informed and driven by the current political climate.

We've lost all perspective. The likely next vice president is visiting a rapist in the hospital to tell him how proud of him she is. A corporate football league has players wearing the names of murderers on their helmets. But Dan McNeil is a real bad guy because he joked about a sideline reporter's outfit.

This is what happens when we elevate people's feelings to our highest value. Did Mac's tweet hurt Maria Taylor's feelings? Probably. We've all had our feelings hurt. It certainly isn't good. But here's what we seem to have forgotten. Not only have we all had our feelings hurt, we've all hurt the feelings of others. We seem all too willing to own one thing and not the other.

Nobody remember's Jesus's admonition about letting he who is without sin cast the first stone. We've become a nation of stone casters enabled, aided, and abetted by social media.

I am going to highly doubt that her feelings were hurt by a comment that was retracted within 20 minutes. But as you stated who fucking cares? Should a millionaire sidelines reporter only be able to receive praise? Her comment was that if a female feels confident in an outfit then no one has the right to judge. America (the country) owes Janet Jackson an apology for her Super Bowl halftime performance then.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:55 am 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nobody remember's Jesus's admonition about letting he who is without sin cast the first stone. We've become a nation of stone casters enabled, aided, and abetted by social media.

I am going to highly doubt that her feelings were hurt by a comment that was retracted within 20 minutes. But as you stated who fucking cares? Should a millionaire sidelines reporter only be able to receive praise? Her comment was that if a female feels confident in an outfit then no one has the right to judge. America (the country) owes Janet Jackson an apology for her Super Bowl halftime performance then.

If she was really that comfortable in her outfit then nothing Dan McNeil could say about it should bother her. But come on. Very few people are that comfortable. Most of us have doubts and insecurities. Even people who are told how great they are twenty times a day. Sometimes even especially those people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:08 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If she was really that comfortable in her outfit then nothing Dan McNeil could say about it should bother her. But come on. Very few people are that comfortable. Most of us have doubts and insecurities. Even people who are told how great they are twenty times a day. Sometimes even especially those people.

I don't doubt that, but she wasn't tagged in the post. And I know that she doesn't follow Dan McNeil. There was no chance of her seeing it, except people sprung on it and shared it. They didn't do that to hurt her either. It was to give her a Yassss Queen moment, which she ate up and exploited. This was not even someone calling DiCaro ugly. It was a comment said into a void that people spread as evidence that the world is a racist and sexist place. Who ended up paying for may show the opposite though.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Opie wrote:

I don't really understand the mentality (espoused by Julie and others) that they needed to be on social media "for their jobs." Did anyone care what Dan McNeil said on Twitter "for his job"?

It is their "job" to point out the mistakes and foibles of others. Because nothing is easier than posting criticism.

But on a "deeper" level, it gives people on social media, and we are no different here, a sense of purpose and belonging.

I went on the internet today and reprimanded someone, about something, that i can't even identify or explain myself. But I'm part of the "right crowd", those standing up for "justice."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nobody remembers Jesus's admonition about letting he who is without sin cast the first stone. We've become a nation of stone casters enabled, aided, and abetted by social media.

I'll try and keep it non-political too. I think another interesting part of it is what was gained by firing Mac over this instead of suspending him? Do we really believe that any Score listener would have boycotted the station if Mac only got suspended for a week and had to make an apology? Even if you love NBA countdown and her other work at ESPN but also love The Score are you really going to have this be the line in the sand that causes you to change your behavior? I have a hard time believing that this would have been a big deal by the time he came back sometime next week or in October to anyone. However, it was an immediate dismissal to placate people you don't even have a good reason to believe are even listening based on geography alone.

So here we are a few days later, and I doubt people even care about what happened that were outraged by it, and most probably can't even name the station he worked at.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'll try and keep it non-political too. I think another interesting part of it is what was gained by firing Mac over this instead of suspending him? Do we really believe that any Score listener would have boycotted the station if Mac only got suspended for a week and had to make an apology? Even if you love NBA countdown and her other work at ESPN but also love The Score are you really going to have this be the line in the sand that causes you to change your behavior? I have a hard time believing that this would have been a big deal by the time he came back sometime next week or in October to anyone. However, it was an immediate dismissal to placate people you don't even have a good reason to believe are even listening based on geography alone.

So here we are a few days later, and I doubt people even care about what happened that were outraged by it, and most probably can't even name the station he worked at.

What's funny is that the few commentaries that I have seen people have mangled the name, dial position or call letters of the station.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:46 am 

Brick is correct. The outrage is mainly national and soon forgotten. The results and pain are felt locally and lasting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Beansie's pizzeria
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The disparity between how we treated mothers who took their kids to public parks in March-April versus how we've treated "mostly peaceful" protesters since is evidence enough. Our priorities as a country are completely out of sync. Julie DiCaro is the waddling, tweeting embodiment of that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:06 pm 

Julie is the (large) emBODYment of many of today’s problems- from diabetic baiting to Twitter outrage to general entitlement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Spiegs is still the best partner for Parkins but Entercom is not giving anyone full-time paper

Perhaps whoever buys 670 in the bankruptcy fire sale may be willing to invest something in the station and do it, but not until then.

Maybe Parkins could pay Spiegs in partially used gift cards like he gave him for a wedding present.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:02 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Maybe Parkins could pay Spiegs in partially used gift cards like he gave him for a wedding present.

I feel like I could tell that story on Reddit as an AITA and the verdict would be Spiegs was the asshole for expecting a real gift for a 3rd wedding that didn't even have a real reception

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:08 am 
1000 CLUB

Danny Mac has been around long enough to recognize the current political climate. He's not dumb. Every dollar is important with sports not being relevant and the risk of losing listeners and advertising dollars puts these stations in a bad position. They cant win.

Sometimes you have to shut the fuck up, act like a grown up and be a team player. It wasnt just this tweet. He's done much worse. Dan has been a pain in the ass for many years. He never learned. He had to go.

This too shall pass.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You may be right as to the real reason for Dan's dismissal. I think Spiegal along with Rahimi would be pretty good. No show that has Parkins in a leading role is going to be good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next