It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Beardown wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I could see Jason pulling the "come on man just get on the phone I wanna talk to ya c'mon let's talk this out like men what are you so afraid of huh let's just talk" thing. Drinky less so.

That's a good guess. :wink:

Fuck it, yeah, it was Goff.

Jason Goff wrote:
We gon’ do this ???

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
North was making a million a year at the height of Dumb Radio Money. So was Roe Conn. Bernstein's not making that money now but he's gotta be well over $100,000, too. Closer to that than $1,000,000, though, of course.

Hope you had a Google Voice number, Beardown, Jason was gonna track you down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

No. This was like 10 years ago when Goff reached out to me. Maybe longer than that. Phone numbers were never exchanged. He just offered that. He wanted to talk to me. I said no to him.

My rejection probably hurt his ego. I think when he did it he thought I'd jump at the opportunity. I had zero interest in doing it. I just said no.

I don't want to talk to anybody on the phone. You can talk to me here. That's basically what I told him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Someone with knowledge of academia at NU stated in how low esteem the journalism school/students were held compared to the general population at the school, and that is the very top of the industry. Imagine what you are getting graduating from a more fringe school.

Medilldos are generally regarded as the dumbest students at Northwestern, a perception they justify whenever they are forced to fulfill course requirements outside of the Journalism School.

Starting salaries for "content developers" aka journalists are generally quite low but can escalate quickly if one is employed at a profitable enterprise.

Many Medill students end up working in corporate communications, marketing, or public relations, where they make healthy salaries.

Not a single medill student I knew is currently working in media. The Tech folks would refer to the math class they took to fulfill that requirement as math for trees. My roommate would come up with great ideas at 2am on fixing traffic and pollution that only sounded like he was chemically altered.

A few years ago, I was working on a proposal for a project and part of which would have needed a couple of young energetic storytellers to spend two years doing a mix of in person and phone interviews with small business owners around the country. I put two of our junior analysts in the proposal, but asked a friend of mine who was a journalist if masters students from the University of Missouri would be interested in applying. He asked me what the pay would be and I lowballed him with $55k plus benefits and a generous per diem when travelling, and they could live in Austin TX or Chicago.

His reply was that if we won the job, I'd have over half the graduating class applying for those two jobs, and that $55k was a nearly unheard of salary.

So I'm not surprised at $25/hour for a first time guest host or a producer or newer update person picking up a 10-midnight slot. For a Shuster or Rozner, I'd expect a lot more especially for a holiday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
cookie23 wrote:
Beardown can you and others educate me.

First of all, I found this forum a few years ago. Beardown are you an ex score employee? If so what years were you there?

In regards to pay in 2020, this is my guess.

Haugh/Mully - 100K each

Bernstein - 200K

Parkins/Mac(when Mac there) Mac $125K, Parkins 180K

Shep/Tanny - 80K each

Grobber - 90K

Those numbers are lower now. Especially Bernstein and Parkins. The days of getting $200k for a daytime slot are long gone in local sports radio.

and no fucking way are Shep and Tanny getting $80k. At best $45-50 and that might be high.

You might have the right numbers for Mully & Haugh though. Morning drive is the station's premier slot and their biggest money maker.

ffs bernstien could make more on a podcast with ads...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm 

You get what you pay for. I would say the talent at the Score fits the pay rate.

Would even say the main hosts should get no more then $35 an hour for the lack of originality they put out.

You could switch any of the backup hosts with the main hosts and not tell much difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Waddle and Silvy gotta be making at least 150K each I would think. Kap with all he does probably makes the most in town. I would say Kap on a normal year makes over 400K(Comcast show, conference basketball etc etc.)

Agreed Noth was just stupid money. He adds no value to any show.

If I am Danny P, I am trying my damndest to get to LA or NYC and go national.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Beansie's pizzeria
There's no way Bernsie is making $1M.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
cookie23 wrote:
Waddle and Silvy gotta be making at least 150K each I would think. Kap with all he does probably makes the most in town. I would say Kap on a normal year makes over 400K(Comcast show, conference basketball etc etc.)

Agreed Noth was just stupid money. He adds no value to any show.

If I am Danny P, I am trying my damndest to get to LA or NYC and go national.

Danny P would have no appeal if he tried going national. He would crash and burn. As it is he only moved to Chicago from KC by virtue of having gone to New Trier and used local connections.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 pm 

The way Parkins jumped into the weekday lineup out of another market never fit with the Score's up-through-the-mailroom culture. In its way, it was an even more baffling move than handing late mornings to Dan Hampton. You have to become acquainted with these guys and all their peccadilloes and neuroses before they can really become A Personality, just like any message board. Parkins is a second-string national guy doing local drive time.

EDIT: more baffling than Hampton but less baffling than Mannelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
The way Parkins jumped into the weekday lineup out of another market never fit with the Score's up-through-the-mailroom culture. In its way, it was an even more baffling move than handing late mornings to Dan Hampton. You have to become acquainted with these guys and all their peccadilloes and neuroses before they can really become A Personality, just like any message board. Parkins is a second-string national guy doing local drive time.

EDIT: more baffling than Hampton but less baffling than Mannelly

Do you think Parkins ultimately flames out in Chicago or has a sustained run of success ala Bernstein/Mac?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:53 pm 

Neither. He will oversee the decline.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Curious Hair wrote:

Yup, Cubs content is the only thing propping up the station right now, sad to see the station that used to provide so much entertainment devolve into what it has today, can't help but think that someone will put together an "unfiltered" podcast with some of the old score hosts, gotta think you could get an entertaining hour or two per week out of some combination of Mac, Uncle Terry, and North.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Clawmaster wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yup, Cubs content is the only thing propping up the station right now, sad to see the station that used to provide so much entertainment devolve into what it has today, can't help but think that someone will put together an "unfiltered" podcast with some of the old score hosts, gotta think you could get an entertaining hour or two per week out of some combination of Mac, Uncle Terry, and North.

Heck, you could bring back them and the entire original lineup with Jiggs, Murph and Hanley and they would destroy the current WSCR lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
That’d be something to have the original Score lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:55 am 

North has been gone from the Score for almost as many years as he was there (16 to 12). I think the world has moved on from Mike North, and frankly, I don't think there's that much desire for the other guys, either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Curious Hair wrote:
North has been gone from the Score for almost as many years as he was there (16 to 12). I think the world has moved on from Mike North, and frankly, I don't think there's that much desire for the other guys, either.

Correct

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I doubt there are many listeners under 35 who even know who Mike North is. I do not know when most people start listening to sports radio, but I am assuming I am in the minority starting when I was 11 or 12. Spending my school nights listening to the WMAQ Sports Huddle while playing Super Nintendo in the early 90s.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I'm not surprised by this. How much money can they actually get from the shitty advertisers they have? What does Blue Chew give them. $100s? $1,000s?

That said, I think its kind of bullshit to assume that people working in the industry are there because they are lazy or not skilled enough for other things. A few of them likely are.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Heck, you could bring back them and the entire original lineup with Jiggs, Murph and Hanley and they would destroy the current WSCR lineup.

Jaw that is a great idea

get like Beggars Pizza, Rohrman Auto and some other big local players and produce a youtube return of the sportswriters, do another like sportswriters set (poker table), sponsor soda or beer bottles or corona seltzer tie in or Miller Lite, and do a podast, twitch, youtube show with those guys twice a month or once a week during bears season, more esisodes if a chicago team gets hot, but you could do a weekly like the friday chicago tonight episode on channel 11 is a summary of the weeks biggest stories. this is brainstorming, but it could work, low production cost, high return

north,
hannelly
terry
mac

you could zoom them in and have guests, Id listen to or watch that in a new york minute.

later
sabu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:29 pm 

I like where you're going in theory but Terry Boers on a Zoom call has the potential to be, as they say in the old country, bad TV.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:16 pm 

Bringing back the originals would be some interesting radio for the first week. It would be better than Bernstein or Parkins.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Bringing back the originals wouldn't work because what we really want is the original format rather than the original hosts.

These hosts were great in their prime but radio hosts are a lot like musicians in that there is a limited period in which you are in your prime and creating good content and then a long period of time where you are still performing for an audience but you no longer have the creative spark that propelled you to where you are.

That's where Barstool draws me in. It's younger, fresher talent that still feels they need to work hard every day to produce and is similar in style to earlier days of sports radio. In 10 years guys who I love like Big Cat and PFT probably won't be as entertaining as they are today, which kind of sucks, but that's just reality in this business.

When it comes to 670 though, the young guys really aren't entertaining in any way. I never will turn the radio to 670 to ask myself if I want to hear Parkins' thought on something because it would probably put me to sleep.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:50 pm 

We rag on Barstool and your love for them, but what you described is absolutely right. A guy like Big Cat is talent the Score would have and should have developed and brought up through the ranks. I don't know what his life story is, but I'm guessing he sorta fell into what he's doing after a number of twists and turns. I doubt he was like Parkins or Goff, who knew from childhood that they wanted to be the afternoon-drive host on the local sports radio station, and then were.

The Score's decision to grow together with the audience was probably the correct one in a lot of respects, but they never kept the pipeline well-stocked, whether that was because they couldn't identify new and worthy talent or because that new and worthy talent wouldn't fuck this rotten radio industry with a stolen dick and went into podcasting instead. Young up-and-comer Laurence Holmes has been at the station since Jordan was on the Bulls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:01 pm 

They “developed” Bernsie who went on to infect the entire station and everything that we have today. LoHo, McDoink, Goff, and other sycophants took their cues from his opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The "serious sports radio host" gimmick might have been unique 10 years ago when Boers and Bernstein were at their peak, but you can find hundreds of people just like Bernstein and Parkins on Twitter giving hot takes. What sports radio needs is more characters, more meatball hosts who have something fun to offer. You may laugh but the next wave of successful sports radio hosts will be more like Scott Ferrall, Mike Murphy, Mike North than dorks like Parkins. 670 has become very bland. Change is coming!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:13 pm 

Yeah change is coming. Me changing the radio station. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
blackhawksfan wrote:
The "serious sports radio host" gimmick might have been unique 10 years ago when Boers and Bernstein were at their peak, but you can find hundreds of people just like Bernstein and Parkins on Twitter giving hot takes. What sports radio needs is more characters, more meatball hosts who have something fun to offer. You may laugh but the next wave of successful sports radio hosts will be more like Scott Ferrall, Mike Murphy, Mike North than dorks like Parkins. 670 has become very bland. Change is coming!

The stock market doesn't like meatballs. They like predictability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:27 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
The "serious sports radio host" gimmick might have been unique 10 years ago when Boers and Bernstein were at their peak

Boers and Bernstein at their peak were anything but serious. That's what the clones never figured out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:11 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Bringing back the originals wouldn't work because what we really want is the original format rather than the original hosts.

These hosts were great in their prime but radio hosts are a lot like musicians in that there is a limited period in which you are in your prime and creating good content and then a long period of time where you are still performing for an audience but you no longer have the creative spark that propelled you to where you are.

That's where Barstool draws me in. It's younger, fresher talent that still feels they need to work hard every day to produce and is similar in style to earlier days of sports radio. In 10 years guys who I love like Big Cat and PFT probably won't be as entertaining as they are today, which kind of sucks, but that's just reality in this business.

When it comes to 670 though, the young guys really aren't entertaining in any way. I never will turn the radio to 670 to ask myself if I want to hear Parkins' thought on something because it would probably put me to sleep.

Og

I was a barstool guy like 5 years ago, Im really too old for thier demo (,like by 15 years), but I think that Big Cat and PFT are jumping the shark or becoming like when REM or Husker DU signed their Warner Brothers record deal or when the Clash released combat rock. I loved them when they played Cabaret Metro, ya know.

I know its a shitty attitude to have, but I liked Pardon My take when they werent that big, they were satirical and now they are soo big and soo successful that their confllict amongs Bar Stool 'employees' (who all are like on air entertainment signing comedy contracts) is shtick and the tounge in cheek interviews Pardon My Take did where the person being interviewed isnt quite in on the joke and doesnt realize the joke is kind of on him or her is no longer possible. They made themselves millions, so its not like I can be pissed at them, hell I bought PENN stock at the 20s so, you wont find me crying over it.

I like big cat alot, shit every young turk and asswipe in Chicago radio is trying to be him, but heres the thing

he was made out to be a chicago guy to the nation 5 yearts ago, he is a post college chicago guy, he is from the east coast, went to Wisco and moved to Chicago after college, hes like how someone who went to Naperville Central and hangs out at Beaumonts is from Chicago. Now he was held out as a bag of roast beef sangwhiches Chicago guy until Barstool Chicago with real chicago guys started. now the key word there is Chicago guy (joke man). The are entertainment, sports punditry with like fictionial characters, because most of the conflict is like kayfabe (I got to use it in a post, YES)

they still are pretty entertaining, but I find myself paying less attention, Im an old fuck and planning for retirement.

later
sabu

It was kind of like when Mariotti first came here for the Sun Times, they tried to market him as a city guy, even though he was from Detroit.