It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
never heard of bigcat. i would assume youre talking about bigcat williams but probably not.

i would love a podcast of all the old time score guys. but as someone else mentioned it probably would be good for a week only.

you dont need to bring back north or boers to do it. bring back george offman or some of the 2ndary hosts in that era and it would still be better than today.

as for the current score -they have the cubs and that generates money so nothing is going to change lineup wise or culture wise anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Some very good points being made. Marriotti was from Pittsburgh and every talented, but a total piece of garbage which eventually did him in.

Someone said it best on here, sports radio should be fun and make ya laugh.

The whole notion of "smart sports radio that explores social injustices" gets old. The lowest point of the Score had to be Goff/Bernstein where they had to shake up the whole station for they turned everyone off the station.

Outside or new talent is neede, not recycled garbage which is Chicago radio.

IMO, there are 4 people in Chicago in 2020 who should be on the radio

Parkins for his talent, voice, very good at radio.
Silvy - Solid
Kap - Hustler, everyone knows Kap from all his jobs, radio probably his worst, but big imprint on Chi media
J-Hood - Best radio figure in town right now. Best at what he does.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
i would love a podcast of all the old time score guys. but as someone else mentioned it probably would be good for a week only.

you dont need to bring back north or boers to do it. bring back george offman or some of the 2ndary hosts in that era and it would still be better than today.

All the old SportsPhone guys would be good for 45 minutes twice a month: Shuster, Les, Fred, Shorty George, Steve Olken. You could rotate them through so the lineup was different each time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43 pm 

cookie23 wrote:
Some very good points being made. Marriotti was from Pittsburgh and every talented, but a total piece of garbage which eventually did him in.

Someone said it best on here, sports radio should be fun and make ya laugh.

The whole notion of "smart sports radio that explores social injustices" gets old. The lowest point of the Score had to be Goff/Bernstein where they had to shake up the whole station for they turned everyone off the station.

Outside or new talent is neede, not recycled garbage which is Chicago radio.

IMO, there are 4 people in Chicago in 2020 who should be on the radio

Parkins for his talent, voice, very good at radio.
Silvy - Solid
Kap - Hustler, everyone knows Kap from all his jobs, radio probably his worst, but big imprint on Chi media
J-Hood - Best radio figure in town right now. Best at what he does.

you have to add Murph on that list.

I don't give a shit he treats ppl badly and hurts their feelings but he's the best baseball person in town. and for a radio station that has the cubs murph should be on every chance to talk about cubs baseball on the score.

and you want ratings - murph proved year after year he got them solid ratings. he has a great following that nobody on the score has right now.

--

and the comment made earlier that this is bernsteins culture at the score is 100 percent correct. the whole station is like a bernstein version of a robot. when you listen on air, or podcasts, you can feel that film of that negativity and arrogance that shoots from bernstein's pore's in every host.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

All the old SportsPhone guys would be good for 45 minutes twice a month: Shuster, Les, Fred, Shorty George, Steve Olken. You could rotate them through so the lineup was different each time.

jim memelo may be too corporate for today but i'd take him any time over any of the current dopes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

jim memelo may be too corporate for today but i'd take him any time over any of the current dopes.

He doesn't get as many shifts as he used to but he does solid work on SiriusXM MLB Network Radio. Usually evenings or late nights with Jeff Joyce or Steve Sax. He's far better than Bruce or Spiegs on baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He doesn't get as many shifts as he used to but he does solid work on SiriusXM MLB Network Radio. Usually evenings or late nights with Jeff Joyce or Steve Sax. He's far better than Bruce or Spiegs on baseball.

i sometimes listen to steve sax on the dodgers flagship podcast. that guy is great and not surprised memelo is on a show with him. i'll try to give that a listen if it's offered free somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 am 

You need an XM subscription but can then listen on their app. Sometimes a 5 month trial is as low as $30, especially around the holidays. You are enough of a baseball fan that you'd find value in it

Sax is great, as is ex-Rockie Steven Spillborghs (sp?) who is on Saturday middays and occasionally some other shifts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
$1 per moth for 3 months, streaming only. Premium. Credit card needed. Must call to cancel anytime.

In my email box a coupla times a week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:01 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
ex-Rockie Steven Spillborghs (sp?)

Ryan, but MLB flameout who's also Definitely Not A Pedophile would be a good bit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:02 pm 

I rented a car once and it had XM free. I loved it. the music channels 50s/60s/70s/80s and other stuff.

i wanted to sign up but everyone pretty much told me not to. that the customer service sucks and if you ever want to cancel it's impossible.

this was like 5 years ago. hopefully things have changed for the better?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:41 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
ex-Rockie Steven Spillborghs (sp?)

Ryan, but MLB flameout who's also Definitely Not A Pedophile would be a good bit

Yeah that was a serious brain cramp on my part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:

Hell no. Murph sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:54 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Hell no. Murph sucks.

Try to Deny any of these facts about Murph's radio show/career : Try!

1.Got the best ratings when he was on the score consistently.
2.His producers got the highest bonuses during his tenure on the score because of the highest ratings.
3.Has the most knowledge of cubs baseball than anyone in that town - add to it WSCR carries the Cubs - would be a ratings winner.
4.Most loyal fanbase when he was on the score.
5.BY FAR THE MOST AND BEST PREPARED HOST the score ever had. Especially when you compare him against his contemporaries at the time (North, Mac, Boers, etc..).

So he treats ppl like shit. I dont care. All i know is if I want to listen to a solid show with great baseball content that's air tight, the only person to look for is Murph!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Hell no. Murph sucks.

Try to Deny any of these facts about Murph's radio show/career : Try!

1.Got the best ratings when he was on the score consistently. For his demo
2.His producers got the highest bonuses during his tenure on the score because of the highest ratings.I'm calling BS...unless you were a producer, it's hearsay
3.Has the most knowledge of cubs baseball than anyone in that town - add to it WSCR carries the Cubs - would be a ratings winner. once again, an unquantifiable statement.
4.Most loyal fanbase when he was on the score. All that proves is that people are either morons, or too lazy to change the station
5.BY FAR THE MOST AND BEST PREPARED HOST the score ever had. Especially when you compare him against his contemporaries at the time (North, Mac, Boers, etc..). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So he treats ppl like shit. I dont care. All i know is if I want to listen to a solid show with great baseball content that's air tight, the only person to look for is Murph!

None of those "facts" prove that he doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Prolly not correct. Probably more in line with 100 bucks an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Nicklin3011 wrote:

She got $25 per hour as an update anchor and $50 per hour hosting her 2 hour "show" (per the book reading by KMS_Justin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Before Spiegs got hired back, I'm betting Parkins paid him in gift certificates from restaurants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nicklin3011 wrote:

I don't think so. That sounds way high for these off hour back up roles. And for the subs.

It's certainly $25 for the lowly producers when they get to do shows. Somebody like Hub might make more than $25 an hour when he does his shows. Maybe $50 for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:47 am 

Radio is a glamorous business

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:52 am 

Sounds like a good deal to talk sports.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Beardown wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

I don't think so. That sounds way high for these off hour back up roles. And for the subs.

It's certainly $25 for the lowly producers when they get to do shows. Somebody like Hub might make more than $25 an hour when he does his shows. Maybe $50 for him.

Hub does it more for ad value, he gets to mention his business repeatedly and the other hosts always refer to him as, "The editor and publisher of PFW", his hosting is more of an infomercial type deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 am 

Brick wrote:
Sounds like a good deal to talk sports.

it's great money for weekends in the fall where you can just sit there and comment on games as you watch them

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
good dolphin wrote:
Radio is a glamorous business

Right on!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nicklin3011 wrote:

Not Julie though.

Other fill ins would get $100 or more per hour though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

Not Julie though.

Other fill ins would get $100 or more per hour though.

Nah. I think Julie told the truth when she said $25 per hour (It's rare for her to tell the truth). Which is a great rate if you are like everybody else that works an 8 hour shift. Not great when you do these 2 or 3 hour shows.

Maybe I was wrong about Hub. He probably doesn't get $50. Maybe $35 for him. But the other dumb asses like Julie got $25.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:23 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Are the producers in a union?

When I worked for a TV station, the engineers were always in a union and the free-lance camera guys were always trying to get in.

I thought that’s what SAG is for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

When I worked for a TV station, the engineers were always in a union and the free-lance camera guys were always trying to get in.

Score was never union.

WLS and WGN used to have unions, but I'm not sure anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Score was never union.

WLS and WGN used to have unions, but I'm not sure anymore.

Ya know what? I was in da union when I worked for da Park Districk an da groshery store. I made a lot more money at BeBe's and da Score. I'm not sayin' I just sayin'.