It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I really enjoyed Carmen's couple days with Parkins. He is knowledgeable about Chicago sports, the ideal age-match for Parkins, has a good blend of humor/silliness and I could see that show developing good chemistry in time. You could definitely tell that Harrison and Parkins worked together and were friends. Not sure if getting an outsider for the drive-time slot is the Score's best move. It was good to hear Rongey but he always struck me as being too much of a sarcastic ass. I have always liked Rongey in small doses so I don't know how I would like him on the everyday show I listen to. Maybe he has chilled a little since he moved till St Louis. The more I listen to Rahmini, the more I realize she does nothing for me. Grote would be good in the morning. He's vanilla enough for 6 AM but an improvement on Mully and Haugh. I did not listen enough to Parkins with Decker or Makhlouf enough to form an opinion about them.

Personally, I still hope Spiegel gets the gig. That was an excellent show when it was broken up. Give me Speigel and Parkins and find a partner for Bernstein and my local sports talks show needs will be met.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Spiegs probably got offered the co-hosting gig with Parkins but turned it down. The station can't afford more than 25k a year

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:36 am 

I think the morning show has the perfect tone for a sports station morning drive. Nothing fancy. Tell me the scores, talk about last night's game, talk about tonight's games and get out. Nothing too deep.

Score mornings were a mess for at least the first decade. They couldn't draw flies until Murph took it on. Mully and Hanley, etc. kept it going. Obviously the fans and management like it as well as they have consistently good ratings.

It could be much worse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Sad for many long time listeners to see the product devolve to it's current state. The honest truth is that there are vast portion of the broadcast day that provide dull/uninspired content that can be found anywhere, gone are the unique segments/takes/drops that created the type of hyperlocal product the station was known for back in the day.

Seems that Kap and Hood are trying to get back to the "sandbox" approach to sports talk. Highly unlikely the current WSCR roster which is comprised almost entirely of too smart for the room fragile ego types would be able to adapt that style of sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I realize a stick to sports is a pejorative now but it’s true. When something earth shattering occurs of course a day or day my be worthy of discussion.

Taking some topic particularly a non national one from some other region and beating it to death is not what the score audience wants. They want sports from Chicago first and foremost.

As someone said keep it simple. Do Waddle and Silvy but better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
DAC wrote:
I really enjoyed Carmen's couple days with Parkins. He is knowledgeable about Chicago sports, the ideal age-match for Parkins, has a good blend of humor/silliness and I could see that show developing good chemistry in time. You could definitely tell that Harrison and Parkins worked together and were friends. Not sure if getting an outsider for the drive-time slot is the Score's best move. It was good to hear Rongey but he always struck me as being too much of a sarcastic ass. I have always liked Rongey in small doses so I don't know how I would like him on the everyday show I listen to. Maybe he has chilled a little since he moved till St Louis. The more I listen to Rahmini, the more I realize she does nothing for me. Grote would be good in the morning. He's vanilla enough for 6 AM but an improvement on Mully and Haugh. I did not listen enough to Parkins with Decker or Makhlouf enough to form an opinion about them.

Personally, I still hope Spiegel gets the gig. That was an excellent show when it was broken up. Give me Speigel and Parkins and find a partner for Bernstein and my local sports talks show needs will be met.

I think either Carmen or Spiegal works with Parkins. Done.

And I think Rongey is just about the only guy out there that could get Bernsie back to fun radio. There's two good shows then, and good for different reasons, which is also good.

I've actually tuned into 1000 more often. Kap and Hood works for me, yes the sandbox approach can work. But not for every show.

And Rahmini also does nothing for me, plus her voice is in the level of Reggie Miller/Bill Walton annoyance. I PTB immediately when she's on. Gotta be a better woman sportscaster than her out there in this market.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
good dolphin wrote:
I think the morning show has the perfect tone for a sports station morning drive. Nothing fancy. Tell me the scores, talk about last night's game, talk about tonight's games and get out. Nothing too deep.

Score mornings were a mess for at least the first decade. They couldn't draw flies until Murph took it on. Mully and Hanley, etc. kept it going. Obviously the fans and management like it as well as they have consistently good ratings.

It could be much worse.

I’m fine with a vanilla approach to mornings, but Mully ain’t the one man. I know it’s trite to complain about his delivery, or complete lack thereof, but he can barely speak sometimes and his “banter” and attempts at humor are very very poor.

He does challenge Bernstein more than most but that’s only occasionally which is nice.

But ESPN is just a far superior product right now. Especially in the mornings. Too bad the signal is so shitty. What’s up with that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Crick Ramp wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It could be much worse.

I’m fine with a vanilla approach to mornings, but Mully ain’t the one man. I know it’s trite to complain about his delivery, or complete lack thereof, but he can barely speak sometimes and his “banter” and attempts at humor are very very poor.

He does challenge Bernstein more than most but that’s only occasionally which is nice.

But ESPN is just a far superior product right now. Especially in the mornings. Too bad the signal is so shitty. What’s up with that?

You are both correct. Vanilla approach to morning show is the best approach, but Mully can't interview worth a shit, not can he seem to articulate a coherent sentence. Haugh has thoughts but many are idiotic.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I haven't listened to Kap long enough to build up a distaste like others have. What 's wrong with taking calls for a few segments?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:12 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I haven't listened to Kap long enough to build up a distaste like others have. What 's wrong with taking calls for a few segments?

I believe most who have commented recently on Kap/hoodies new show are saying that is a good thing. Taking calls. That avoiding political shit, sticking to sports, and taking calls daily is a blueprint worth following. Akin to 670 long ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
That's me....never was a Kap fan, but their show is good. One of the very few listenable shows on right now.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Hood busts Kaps balls from time to time which makes the show all the more entertaining because dudes that take themselves and sports too seriously seem to have a hard time dealing with that type of banter. Hoodie also rips Mully regularly, the kind of stuff that shows used to do on the score back in the day, this type of radio if apparently foreign or incredibly offensive to the Rosen/Bernstein types, but incredibly entertaining at times for us unwashed gentiles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 am 

I don't think it is foreign to Mitch. He came up producing Kevin Matthews back when he was funny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:01 am 

City of Fools wrote:
[
I think either Carmen or Spiegal works with Parkins. Done.

And I think Rongey is just about the only guy out there that could get Bernsie back to fun radio. There's two good shows then, and good for different reasons, which is also good.

I've actually tuned into 1000 more often. Kap and Hood works for me, yes the sandbox approach can work. But not for every show.

And Rahmini also does nothing for me, plus her voice is in the level of Reggie Miller/Bill Walton annoyance. I PTB immediately when she's on. Gotta be a better woman sportscaster than her out there in this market.

This works for me. Rongey and Bernstein would be interesting. You just have to get someone who isn't afraid to challenge Bernstein and to make fun of all his high brow ways. I always wanted Rozner to get the full-time show but we know that is not happening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think Rongey is the third mic on the afternoon show in St. Louis. That's a perfect role for him; he was kind of a third mic as the update guy on B&B where he was part sidekick, part straight man.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Will be honest, have not listened to Parkins and whoever his co host is. He lost me a few months ago. I was a big fan when he came, he kinda brought fun to the studio. Great radio voice, seemed like a good kid, just got boring and preditable.

Does he mesh with the different co hosts in studio? Body language can tell a lot.

I thought once Bears season started I would be back as a listener. Just no desire to anyone at the score.

Kap and Hood. Hood is the best and makes Kap tolerable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:43 am 

cookie23 wrote:
Will be honest, have not listened to Parkins and whoever his co host is. He lost me a few months ago. I was a big fan when he came, he kinda brought fun to the studio. Great radio voice, seemed like a good kid, just got boring and preditable.

Does he mesh with the different co hosts in studio? Body language can tell a lot.

I thought once Bears season started I would be back as a listener. Just no desire to anyone at the score.

Kap and Hood. Hood is the best and makes Kap tolerable.

I don’t think evaluating body language with these round robbin auditions makes much sense.

Anything short of pairing him with Spiegel is just dumb.

The most pressing need of the station is to get Bernstein a partner. I never thought I’d say this but I’d rather hear him and McDoink than him solo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Bersie and Leila work really well together. I enjoy that show quite a bit.

Parkins and Spiegel need to be paired up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:56 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

I find myself wanting to like her as a host, as she comes across very genuine and worth rooting for, but...there is zero that is compelling about her. She seems simply happy to be there. Which is fine. But an ideal Bernstein partner MUST make at least a feigned effort to check Dan on his bullshit at least 2 times a month.

I think her once a week appearance is plenty.

What specifically do you enjoy about her sports thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I don't have specific sports thought critiques of her, I just think she is a nice addition to Dan. Mully checks Dan enough, imo. It's a different show. It's a different Dan.

It's an easy mid-day listen and it seems like she is becoming more comfortable. I'll try to come up with examples during Wednesdays show.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's

5 Am to 3 PM at the score is terrible. Bernstein is decent sometimes, Leila is unbearable its an auto switch to 1000. Holmes is a clown and just replays other shows and talks to ppl like Goff whose also terrible. Parkins can be okay, but and only talks 2 sports, but spiegel makes it somewhat okay. They are in deep trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Nicklin3011 wrote:

5 Am to 3 PM at the score is terrible. Bernstein is decent sometimes, Leila is unbearable its an auto switch to 1000. Holmes is a clown and just replays other shows and talks to ppl like Goff whose also terrible. Parkins can be okay, but and only talks 2 sports, but spiegel makes it somewhat okay. They are in deep trouble.

You hate listen frim 5-3?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:24 am 

Nicklin3011 wrote:

I agree. I am not a big fan of Parkins by himself but I greatly enjoy him with Spiegel. I won’t listen to any of Parkins with Herron. For one, I don’t care about the Bears and secondly, Herron doesn’t add any personality to the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:16 pm 

So is Meatpants the other half of the show now? He is pretty much on with Parkins every day.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
RFDC wrote:
So is Meatpants the other half of the show now? He is pretty much on with Parkins every day.

might as well use him until his deal expires

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
DAC wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

I agree. I am not a big fan of Parkins by himself but I greatly enjoy him with Spiegel. I won’t listen to any of Parkins with Herron. For one, I don’t care about the Bears and secondly, Herron doesn’t add any personality to the show.

Herron would be fine if he didn't make the same point 7 different ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm 

Parkins and Spiegel were fantastic last Wednesday discussing the Bear ownership and front office after their midweek press conference. Their frank, honest talk about the Bears lack or accountability and simply not caring about mainstream media was good radio. Parkins and Decker was particularly strong with their baseball conversation on Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Is Mac dead?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
blackhawksfan wrote:
Is Mac dead?

He posted something food related on FB the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Parko said today he signed a contact to buy a house in the burbs. Sounds like someone who knows he is getting new paper. Also teased his excitement for the new show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next