It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 pm 

Dolphin is 100% accurate about Black folks' accents, just as distinguishable as everyone else from their particular region.

What I discovered and found hilarious was that the older I get, the more likely I am to use the same phrases that my southern born grand and great grandparents used.

I realized that listening to Charles Barkley and (Chicago born) Sterling & Shannon Sharpe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
badrogue17 wrote:
Parkins lost me when he mispronounced vacuous

That was tough to get over

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Parkins lost me when he mispronounced vacuous

That was tough to get over

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm pretty good with articulation. My friends laugh at me because I always mispronounce probably. I say something like prolly, as if I'm some ignorant Pittsburgher.

I have one of the more absurd Chicago accents you will ever hear. I'm not exactly sure how I got it because neither of my parents had such an extreme accent.

I'm fascinated by accents. I have a friend from Greece who didn't speak a word of English until he came to Chicago at age 13 and the only accent he has now is a Chicago accent.

This may be elitist but I don't subscribe to the popular idea that accents are neutral. I think I have poor and sloppy diction. The fact that I developed these bad habits due to where I lived is immaterial. I sound like a fucking idiot and people are going to judge me by the way I sound whether I like it or not. On the other hand, I'm kind of proud of my accent. It's a complicated and interesting topic.

I heard an interesting segment on NPR the other day. It was about a young woman named Ciku Theuri and they talked about the typical black American accent and how it was developed. It took the position that it is no less proper than any other way of speaking.

Ciku speaks English more perfectly than anyone I have ever met. Her mother is Kenyan but Ciku grew up in Cincinnati. She talked about people saying she doesn't "sound black". The piece went into the reason why so many black Americans speak the way they do. But I don't really think there's any reason why we can't all speak English the way Ciku does except for laziness.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and accents are neutral and my speaking is just as good as anyone else's. I don't really believe that though. Anyone who heard Ciku and I speak would immediately think she was more intelligent and better educated than I am.

I got pulled out of suburban primary school because I caught hell for sounding like a white kid around the neighborhood. And pulled out of CPS in two years because my parents were convinced that I was sounding ghetto. So it was Hyde Park until college for me. :lol:

Because I don't have an accent, I generally don't care about most of them, except two, deep old time Chicago and deep southern accents. Strangely enough because I used to struggle to understand them. I don't think that you come anywhere near the bad Chicago one.

Living down south I learned the regional/state differences which I found funny, but back then they found my then California (?) sounding accent.

Yeah, you really don't have much of an accent, though I suppose someone who was really paying attention could peg you as Midwestern.

I just asked my wife her opinion and she said that there are no bad accents, there is just perception of what a "bad" accent is.

That's objectively wrong. Boston has the worst accent ever. After a greyhound trip from NYC to Chi spending half of it next to a coke dealer/mule/etc from baaastaaan i wanted to make a shirt that said "hey Boston there's a R in Car" cuz this dude would come back from his bathroom sojourns @ every rest stop going on and on about how he was worried about his girl driving his caaaah.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
I would have pronounced the word incorrectly as well. Can’t win em all

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
Dolphin is 100% accurate about Black folks' accents, just as distinguishable as everyone else from their particular region.

What I discovered and found hilarious was that the older I get, the more likely I am to use the same phrases that my southern born grand and great grandparents used.

I realized that listening to Charles Barkley and (Chicago born) Sterling & Shannon Sharpe.

Yeah, naturally African-American accents have splintered over the years. You should listen to the segment with Ciku. https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/10 ... c-identity

They talked about how you had these people who spoke no English and were suddenly thrust into an environment where they picked it up from people who had no education and this lasted for many years.

Ultimately, all these accents we're talking about are working class. dolphin mentioned Pittsburgh. I've read that with the decline of the working class "Yinzers" are becoming extinct.

Again, I'm not sure how I got my accent or when it developed. My dad was college-educated. He didn't speak the way I do. But he is from a working class neighborhood and from a time when few people attended college. If I had to guess I would say my accent developed from attending school with the sons and daughters of cops and firefighters on the Northwest side. I went to college and it didn't smooth out the way I speak. But there probably is some laziness involved too. I'm thinking my father was just too precise and diligent to say something like "hunnert" the way I sometimes do.

Here's a funny story. A friend of mine teaches at a fancy prep school. Her son grew up on the campus which is populated by people from all over the world. It's really the antithesis of "working class". When he was a little kid one of her friends who was from the deep woods of northern New England would sometimes babysit him. One day my friend came home and the kid had a toy horse and he showed it to her and kept saying, "Look, Mommy! Hawse! Hawsey!" My friend was mortified because she thought he was making fun of her friend's heavy New England accent. But then a couple weeks later he asked her where his hawsey was and my friend realized he wasn't making fun of anyone. He has a New England accent too. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
I swear to god that every movie released until the 70s had all the characters speak with mid-Atlantic accents. It's jarring to hear it now.

Did you see this video the other day too? So good:

We're conflating "mid-Atlantic" and "trans-Atlantic" here. The latter is the old-timey one that's in between American and British. A mid-Atlantic accent would be that weird Baltimore accent. Goin' downy shore an' thinn to an Aeuo's game, yaeough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah, naturally African-American accents have splintered over the years. You should listen to the segment with Ciku. https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/10 ... c-identity

They talked about how you had these people who spoke no English and were suddenly thrust into an environment where they picked it up from people who had no education and this lasted for many years.

Ultimately, all these accents we're talking about are working class. dolphin mentioned Pittsburgh. I've read that with the decline of the working class "Yinzers" are becoming extinct.

Again, I'm not sure how I got my accent or when it developed. My dad was college-educated. He didn't speak the way I do. But he is from a working class neighborhood and from a time when few people attended college. If I had to guess I would say my accent developed from attending school with the sons and daughters of cops and firefighters on the Northwest side. I went to college and it didn't smooth out the way I speak. But there probably is some laziness involved too. I'm thinking my father was just too precise and diligent to say something like "hunnert" the way I sometimes do.

Here's a funny story. A friend of mine teaches at a fancy prep school. Her son grew up on the campus which is populated by people from all over the world. It's really the antithesis of "working class". When he was a little kid one of her friends who was from the deep woods of northern New England would sometimes babysit him. One day my friend came home and the kid had a toy horse and he showed it to her and kept saying, "Look, Mommy! Hawse! Hawsey!" My friend was mortified because she thought he was making fun of her friend's heavy New England accent. But then a couple weeks later he asked her where his hawsey was and my friend realized he wasn't making fun of anyone. He has a New England accent too. :lol:

Going to schools were I did I found that I was really susceptible to following the speech patterns of my crowds. Hyde Park was a melting pot where I actually routinely used Hebrew phrases (which amused my parents), but didn't prefer one dialect over another,. In college I was almost entirely in a California bubble and fell into their sound and phraseology.

But it was jarring to hear Asians speak with heavy deep southern accents though. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
I swear to god that every movie released until the 70s had all the characters speak with mid-Atlantic accents. It's jarring to hear it now.

Did you see this video the other day too? So good:

We're conflating "mid-Atlantic" and "trans-Atlantic" here. The latter is the old-timey one that's in between American and British. A mid-Atlantic accent would be that weird Baltimore accent. Goin' downy shore an' thinn to an Aeuo's game, yaeough.

That's exactly how half my middle and high school teachers sounded back then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
There are still Yinzers around along with their
Made up words. I seem to find them a lot in far out suburban areas more now. Like Latrobe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I have one of the more absurd Chicago accents you will ever hear. I'm not exactly sure how I got it because neither of my parents had such an extreme accent.

You got it by talking shit in bars. I have a buddy that sounds remarkably similar to you. He grew up in Rockford, moved to the suburbs at 25 and the city at 30.

He was always in a bar or at the beach. Took maybe 10 years of living in the city to develop.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I figured he acquired that accent by screaming, "ON YOUR LEFT!"

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Regular Reader wrote:
But it was jarring to hear Asians speak with heavy deep southern accents though. :lol:

Greek-Americans from deep Georgia speaking Greek is pretty funny as well. There's really no translation for "y'all."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:18 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Greek-Americans from deep Georgia speaking Greek is pretty funny as well. There's really no translation for "y'all."

:lol: Yeah, that one really took the cake for me. Each time I heard it from a newly minted American. I was floored the first time. The guy couldn't believe my knee jerk reaction. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm 

my accent was thickly canadian when i lived in adirondack NY, according to my parents. but i never succumbed to the deep south accents nor the Bible belt mid-west. Or the fulladelfia-dullawarian accents of the east coast where i lived.

the only one that's seemed to stuck is this damn suburban chicagoland one. i mean, i have lived most of my life in illinois now (combined high school years with post-moving out and back here in 2003) so it makes sense.

but until i moved back here, i had no real identifiable accent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:54 pm 

W_Z wrote:
my accent was thickly canadian when i lived in adirondack NY, according to my parents. but i never succumbed to the deep south accents nor the Bible belt mid-west. Or the fulladelfia-dullawarian accents of the east coast where i lived.

the only one that's seemed to stuck is this damn suburban chicagoland one. i mean, i have lived most of my life in illinois now (combined high school years with post-moving out and back here in 2003) so it makes sense.

but until i moved back here, i had no real identifiable accent.

Yeah :lol:, I would've just identified you with a suburban Chicago accent, if any at all. Your nomadic childhood makes sure that we're both kind of assimilators. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:57 pm 

which of course, gives us an advantage... :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

When I was 16 or so I went on an outward bound type thing. One of the other participants was a Chinese immigrant whose family came to America when he was 11 or 12.. they settled in Baton Rouge or something. A Cajun/Chinese accent was.. fascinating.

My lack of accent has enough little twangs here and there from living out here that I get classified as country in the city and enough odd Chicago influenced speech patterns that I’m urban out here. I think it’s the pacing of speech that tags ne to be honest. Very methodical out here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
sinicalypse wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm pretty good with articulation. My friends laugh at me because I always mispronounce probably. I say something like prolly, as if I'm some ignorant Pittsburgher.

I'm fascinated by accents. I have a friend from Greece who didn't speak a word of English until he came to Chicago at age 13 and the only accent he has now is a Chicago accent.

This may be elitist but I don't subscribe to the popular idea that accents are neutral. I think I have poor and sloppy diction. The fact that I developed these bad habits due to where I lived is immaterial. I sound like a fucking idiot and people are going to judge me by the way I sound whether I like it or not. On the other hand, I'm kind of proud of my accent. It's a complicated and interesting topic.

I heard an interesting segment on NPR the other day. It was about a young woman named Ciku Theuri and they talked about the typical black American accent and how it was developed. It took the position that it is no less proper than any other way of speaking.

Ciku speaks English more perfectly than anyone I have ever met. Her mother is Kenyan but Ciku grew up in Cincinnati. She talked about people saying she doesn't "sound black". The piece went into the reason why so many black Americans speak the way they do. But I don't really think there's any reason why we can't all speak English the way Ciku does except for laziness.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and accents are neutral and my speaking is just as good as anyone else's. I don't really believe that though. Anyone who heard Ciku and I speak would immediately think she was more intelligent and better educated than I am.

I got pulled out of suburban primary school because I caught hell for sounding like a white kid around the neighborhood. And pulled out of CPS in two years because my parents were convinced that I was sounding ghetto. So it was Hyde Park until college for me. :lol:

Because I don't have an accent, I generally don't care about most of them, except two, deep old time Chicago and deep southern accents. Strangely enough because I used to struggle to understand them. I don't think that you come anywhere near the bad Chicago one.

Living down south I learned the regional/state differences which I found funny, but back then they found my then California (?) sounding accent.

Yeah, you really don't have much of an accent, though I suppose someone who was really paying attention could peg you as Midwestern.

I just asked my wife her opinion and she said that there are no bad accents, there is just perception of what a "bad" accent is.

That's objectively wrong. Boston has the worst accent ever. After a greyhound trip from NYC to Chi spending half of it next to a coke dealer/mule/etc from baaastaaan i wanted to make a shirt that said "hey Boston there's a R in Car" cuz this dude would come back from his bathroom sojourns @ every rest stop going on and on about how he was worried about his girl driving his caaaah.

https://www.facebook.com/mikeybrgn/vide ... =2&theater

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I didn’t want to start a new thread but Parkins clearly took some shots at Hub on Monday. Hub even referenced it today on Bernstein. Surprised Beardown wasn’t all over that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I didn’t want to start a new thread but Parkins clearly took some shots at Hub on Monday. Hub even referenced it today on Bernstein. Surprised Beardown wasn’t all over that.

Fuck Parkins. Backstabbing coward fuck.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I didn’t want to start a new thread but,

I'm glad you didn't because I just read this for the first time- very interesting transition to the accent discussions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:13 pm 

K Effective wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I'm glad you didn't because I just read this for the first time- very interesting transition to the accent discussions.

It's funny to see how at the end of the day we have so many similarities.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
K Effective wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

It's funny to see how at the end of the day we have so many similarities.

A truth that becomes more apparent every day as I age.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Regarding what?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:28 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My lack of accent has enough little twangs here and there from living out here that I get classified as country

I was surprised at how pronounced it was.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Good for Parkins. Hub is rather condescending to him on a regular basis. Hub is one of those guests that if I never heard again, I wouldn't even notice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
IIRC they spoke like that in the old movies because the mics and subsequently the recordings picked up on that type of speech pattern better at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Regarding what?
(paraphrasing) Basically Parkins was upset that Nagy mentioned having talked to Sweaty Teddy on occasion. He felt Phillips should stay out of football business and just stick to the financial stuff. Parkins then referenced how Hub has repeatedly stated that Teddy doesn't get involved in on field issues with the clear implication that Nagy's comment proves that to be false. Apparently some listeners texted in that Parkins was picking on Hub because a bit later the producers started (jokingly) telling Danny that he was being mean and unfair. Parkins then suggested that they get Hub on but they demurred. Clearly Hub heard about it though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Regarding what?
(paraphrasing) Basically Parkins was upset that Nagy mentioned having talked to Sweaty Teddy on occasion. He felt Phillips should stay out of football business and just stick to the financial stuff.

Some people think that sports media people should just stick to sports as well. Parkins seems to bristle at that suggestion.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next